The Women in Games Debate

• 50 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ubergusterfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ubergusterfan
Member since 2007 • 83 Posts

I've had enough. I'm tired of all the articles about this issue: how much microsoft pays women, which online community is most hostile or most welcoming to women. Rather than get annoyed by constantly being force fed this information I have decided I will no longer even open any article on the issue.

No need to leave comments below about my thoughts, encouraging the debate further. No need to share my take or my opinion and start an argument, which then leads to insults on both sides. No more defending or attacking GamerGate, Anita Sarkeesian, Zoe Quinn, or anything.

I have just decided to boycott the whole topic. I encourage you all to boycott the articles as well if you are as tired of the debate as I am. No need for defamation, cursing, insults, "trolling", etc. Just step away. No more getting angry about another person upset that X video game is about a man, or Y video game developer supports Sarkeesian. Notice I'm speaking to both sides of the argument. Lets together, as a group, just stop.

JyePhye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 JyePhye
Member since 2004 • 6173 Posts

No. It is important that we discuss how elements of the games community have threatened the lives of respectable, intelligent, hardworking women, and how it may be systemic of the larger issue of sexism in games and the gaming community.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Making a thread about whining on a specific topic is so lame.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:

Making a thread about whining on a specific topic is so lame.

making comments whining about threads is lame too.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

also, they gots the cooties.

Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Abbeten
Member since 2012 • 3140 Posts

It's an important issue and it's better to have the conversation (even though it hardly resembles a conversation) than to sweep it under the rug.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By deactivated-598fc45371265

The first time I heard of Sarkeesian was actually here on OT when someone gave her as an example of a attractive professional feminist. <_<

Anyway, I wish I could make a living complaining about non-issues and getting people riled up about it.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

@Storm_Marine said:

The first time I heard of Sarkeesian was actually here on OT when someone gave her as an example of a attractive professional feminist. <_<

Anyway, I wish I could make a living complaining about non-issues and getting people riled up about it.

Must've been a virgin. She's super ugly. Obviously, otherwise she wouldn't have become a ********.

JyePhye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JyePhye

@themajormayor said:

@Storm_Marine said:

Must've been a virgin. She's super ugly. Obviously, otherwise she wouldn't have become a ********.

Sarcasm?

aretilda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#12 aretilda
Member since 2014 • 499 Posts

What debate? I love girls :)

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

@JyePhye said:

No. It is important that we discuss how elements of the games community have threatened the lives of respectable, intelligent, hardworking women, and how it may be systemic of the larger issue of sexism in games and the gaming community.

What is there to discuss? SJW's go and say all tons of ignorant shit and then some psycho's on the internet go way fucking overboard.

Funny thing is, I am pretty sure the whole SJW push into gaming has done nothing BUT create a drastic jump in the harassment of women in the gaming community...

Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Abbeten

@LostProphetFLCL:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@JyePhye said:

What is there to discuss? SJW's go and say all tons of ignorant shit and then some psycho's on the internet go way fucking overboard.

Funny thing is, I am pretty sure the whole SJW push into gaming has done nothing BUT create a drastic jump in the harassment of women in the gaming community...

yeah, women should just shut up and take it

JyePhye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JyePhye

@Abbeten said:

@LostProphetFLCL:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@JyePhye said:

What "ignorant shit" have they said?

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

It's an issue that needs to be discussed. If you don't want to be part of it, then don't be. Making a thread seems to go against your point.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 themajormayor

@JyePhye said:

@themajormayor said:

@Storm_Marine said:

Sarcasm?

No.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#18 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

So you're sick of a topic being discussed and you start a thread about it on a discussion forum? Doesn't that sound counter-productive to you?

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LostProphetFLCL

@JyePhye said:

@Abbeten said:

@LostProphetFLCL:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@JyePhye said:

Ummm are we completely unaware of the ridiculous amounts of ignorant blanket statements being made about the gaming community? That we are a bunch of misogynistic dorrito eating basement dwellers who would never have a chance of landing a woman? Not to mention to uber psycho's femi-nazi's getting involved in the movement who openly admit to wanting all men dead....

Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Abbeten

o wow this guy is actually for real LOL

JyePhye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JyePhye

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@JyePhye said:

@Abbeten said:

@LostProphetFLCL:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@JyePhye said:

Ummm are we completely unaware of the ridiculous amounts of ignorant blanket statements being made about the gaming community? That we are a bunch of misogynistic dorrito eating basement dwellers who would never have a chance of landing a woman? Not to mention to uber psycho's femi-nazi's getting involved in the movement who openly admit to wanting all men dead....

No, I would like to see evidence of these "ignorant blanket statements", as well as evidence of "uber psycho's femi-nazi's getting involved in the movement who openly admit to wanting all men dead". I have seen neither of these things. Unless you can provide clear evidence of instances where this has happened, then I will assume you are just lashing out based on unsubstantiated fears.

JyePhye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JyePhye

@themajormayor said:

@JyePhye said:

@themajormayor said:

@Storm_Marine said:

Sarcasm?

No.

Then you're a sexist, anti-feminist, ignorant fool. It's stunning that someone could actually speak of a woman like that. What hole did you crawl out of?

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By LostProphetFLCL

@JyePhye said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@JyePhye said:

@Abbeten said:

@LostProphetFLCL:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@JyePhye said:

No, I would like to see evidence of these "ignorant blanket statements", as well as evidence of "uber psycho's femi-nazi's getting involved in the movement who openly admit to wanting all men dead". I have seen neither of these things. Unless you can provide clear evidence of instances where this has happened, then I will assume you are just lashing out based on unsubstantiated fears.

Then you haven't been following the issue and shouldn't be trying to discuss it without first reading up. Go find the gamergate thread in system wars and browse through it. Lots of stuff there.

JyePhye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JyePhye

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@JyePhye said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@JyePhye said:

@Abbeten said:

@LostProphetFLCL:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@JyePhye said:

Then you haven't been following the issue and shouldn't be trying to discuss it without first reading up. Go find the gamergate thread in system wars and browse through it. Lots of stuff there.

Pretty sure that thread is no longer existent, or is over a month old and a long way back. Otherwise, I've been reading up on this topic for a very long time and have been discussing it for nearly as long. So if you have evidence, you can post it here.

Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CreasianDevaili
Member since 2005 • 4429 Posts

I for one encourage any opposition to remain silent and let the wave wash over and let it travel as far inland as possible. There are instances, like in Borderlands the pre-sequel, where you can clearly see how social justice warriors can get just as down and dirty as the one's they claim to stand up against. So let them do their thing and don't oppose them. Once they've foamed enough at the mouth and made enough of a disappointing footprint of petty retribution then you jump up and point it out.

Essentially stop helping them to not make complete bigots out of themselves. Bid your time.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 themajormayor

@JyePhye said:

@themajormayor said:

@JyePhye said:

@themajormayor said:

@Storm_Marine said:

Sarcasm?

No.

Then you're a sexist, anti-feminist, ignorant fool. It's stunning that someone could actually speak of a woman like that. What hole did you crawl out of?

Some women being ugly doesn't make me sexist, anti-feminist or ignorant.

JyePhye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JyePhye

@themajormayor said:

@JyePhye said:

@themajormayor said:

@JyePhye said:

@themajormayor said:

@Storm_Marine said:

Sarcasm?

No.

Your comment is clearly a sexist one. ********? A virgin because she was ugly? Jesus what an asshole.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By deactivated-598fc45371265

@JyePhye said:

@themajormayor said:

@JyePhye said:

@themajormayor said:

@JyePhye said:

@themajormayor said:

@Storm_Marine said:

Sarcasm?

No.

Your comment is clearly a sexist one. ********? A virgin because she was ugly? Jesus what an asshole.

No dude, re-read the comment chain.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By themajormayor

@JyePhye said:

@themajormayor said:

@JyePhye said:

@themajormayor said:

@JyePhye said:

@themajormayor said:

@Storm_Marine said:

Sarcasm?

No.

How is calling someone a ******** sexist? I didn't mean that she was a virgin, but the person who told storm_marine that she was "attractive". Although obviously virginity and ugliness should be correlated, so I would not be surprised if she was.

JyePhye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JyePhye

@themajormayor said:

@JyePhye said:

@themajormayor said:

@JyePhye said:

@themajormayor said:

@JyePhye said:

@themajormayor said:

@Storm_Marine said:

Sarcasm?

No.

How is calling someone a ******** sexist? I didn't mean that she was a virgin, but the person who told storm_marine that she was "attractive". Although obviously virginity and ugliness should be correlated, so I would not be surprised if she was.

It is inherently a derogatory, sexist term, and it is an anti-feminist term because it clearly inherently is.

Still not sure how a discussion of her physical attractiveness has any place whatsoever here. Inserting that element into the discussion is unnecessary and derogatory in and of itself, reducing her worth to her physical attractiveness. And commenting on her virginity or lack thereof is simply another layer of sexist garbage.

If you actually want to contribute to the conversation at hand, do so. Otherwise, please realize that your trolling here is unwelcome.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By deactivated-598fc45371265

I searched it and it was Barbariser who said it. Others agreed. For shame.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-598fc45371265

@JyePhye said:

If you actually want to contribute to the conversation at hand, do so. Otherwise, please realize that your trolling here is unwelcome.

Is it trolling if you mean it? She isn't attractive. Sorry she just isn't.

JyePhye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JyePhye

@Storm_Marine said:

@JyePhye said:

This isn't a discussion about whether or not she's attractive. So yes, it's trolling: a.k.a. precisely what you're doing right now.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By deactivated-598fc45371265

@JyePhye said:

@Storm_Marine said:

@JyePhye said:

This isn't a discussion about whether or not she's attractive. So yes, it's trolling: a.k.a. precisely what you're doing right now.

Discussions can evolve and branch out. We actually wouldn't still be talking about it if it wasn't for you.

JyePhye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 JyePhye

@Storm_Marine said:

@JyePhye said:

@Storm_Marine said:

@JyePhye said:

Discussions can evolve and branch out. We actually wouldn't still be talking about it if it wasn't for you.

Then I'll make a note to ignore you and themajormayor's simple-minded discussion of her attraction vs. ugliness moving forward.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By themajormayor

@JyePhye said:

@themajormayor said:

@JyePhye said:

@themajormayor said:

@JyePhye said:

@themajormayor said:

@JyePhye said:

@themajormayor said:

@Storm_Marine said:

Sarcasm?

No.

It is inherently a derogatory, sexist term, and it is an anti-feminist term because it clearly inherently is.

Still not sure how a discussion of her physical attractiveness has any place whatsoever here. Inserting that element into the discussion is unnecessary and derogatory in and of itself, reducing her worth to her physical attractiveness. And commenting on her virginity or lack thereof is simply another layer of sexist garbage.

No it isn't. It is a word use to describe extreme or militant feminists. Check it out.

Well I guess it was a bit of a tangent to some extent. However, ugliness is most definitely correlated with feminazism, as shown by Sarkeesian herself for example. I didn't mention her worth at all. Commenting on her physical "attractiveness" doesn't mean that I have reduced her worth to it. What makes you think that? How is commenting on someone's virginity sexist?

Also, keep in mind that there are more to attractiveness than physical appearance. Unfortunately Sarkeesian fails in all areas in this regards.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 themajormayor

@Storm_Marine said:

I searched it and it was Barbariser who said it. Others agreed. For shame.

Aha, can't say that I am surprised.

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LostProphetFLCL

@JyePhye said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@JyePhye said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@JyePhye said:

@Abbeten said:

@LostProphetFLCL:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@JyePhye said:

Pretty sure that thread is no longer existent, or is over a month old and a long way back. Otherwise, I've been reading up on this topic for a very long time and have been discussing it for nearly as long. So if you have evidence, you can post it here.

You obviously have not been following it if you aren't aware of those things. They have been well put out there now along with the cyber attacks the SJW side have been pulling. I told you were the evidence is so go use the search function and read through that topic. I have dealt with enough people like who who like to keep running their mouth about the topic but then show they obviously have no idea of what events have taken place. Not wasting more time on that.

Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Abbeten

@themajormayor said:

@JyePhye said:

@themajormayor said:

@JyePhye said:

@themajormayor said:

@JyePhye said:

@themajormayor said:

@JyePhye said:

@themajormayor said:

@Storm_Marine said:

Sarcasm?

No.

No it isn't. It is a word use to describe extreme or militant feminists. Check it out.

Well I guess it was a bit of a tangent to some extent. However, ugliness is most definitely correlated with feminazism, as shown by Sarkeesian herself for example. I didn't mention her worth at all. Commenting on her physical "attractiveness" doesn't mean that I have reduced her worth to it. What makes you think that? How is commenting on someone's virginity sexist?

Also, keep in mind that there are more to attractiveness than physical appearance. Unfortunately Sarkeesian fails in all areas in this regards.

even putting aside the fact that you can't draw correlation with a sample size of one, bringing up her physical attractiveness in a discussion that has nothing to do with it IS misogynist, because you are using it as a way to attack the person rather than the argument.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40  Edited By SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

"Derp, we should ignore the issue, so like I am going to create a random freaking thread on a gaming forum, that I am sure will not lead to discussion of the very thing I don't want discussed..."

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 themajormayor

@Abbeten said:

@themajormayor said:

@JyePhye said:

@themajormayor said:

@JyePhye said:

@themajormayor said:

@JyePhye said:

@themajormayor said:

@JyePhye said:

@themajormayor said:

@Storm_Marine said:

Sarcasm?

No.

even putting aside the fact that you can't draw correlation with a sample size of one, bringing up her physical attractiveness in a discussion that has nothing to do with it IS misogynist, because you are using it as a way to attack the person rather than the argument.

Yes you can. In what way is it misogynist? Attacking a person rather than the argument is what is called ad hominem, not misogyny. But what argument are we talking about here? Someone had apparently falsely claimed that she was attractive. So if you call it ad hominem that I attacked the person rather than the argument when the argument was about the person herself then it is very lulzy.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

I suspect that this thread was meant to bait out the SJWs in hopes of getting them to go rabid again.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#43  Edited By YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Nobody is force feeding you any information. You choose to click on it. The article titles are right there. It's not like you're clicking on a grey blob that takes you to one of those articles, locks your PC, and psychically reads your mind to verify that you've read the article.

I want to see a better representation of women in video games, but I'd rather make a game that fits my vision instead of complaining about the artistic direction of others.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#44  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@ubergusterfan said:

I've had enough. I'm tired of all the articles about this issue: how much microsoft pays women, which online community is most hostile or most welcoming to women. Rather than get annoyed by constantly being force fed this information I have decided I will no longer even open any article on the issue.

No need to leave comments below about my thoughts, encouraging the debate further. No need to share my take or my opinion and start an argument, which then leads to insults on both sides. No more defending or attacking GamerGate, Anita Sarkeesian, Zoe Quinn, or anything.

I have just decided to boycott the whole topic. I encourage you all to boycott the articles as well if you are as tired of the debate as I am. No need for defamation, cursing, insults, "trolling", etc. Just step away. No more getting angry about another person upset that X video game is about a man, or Y video game developer supports Sarkeesian. Notice I'm speaking to both sides of the argument. Lets together, as a group, just stop.

Boycotting it won't make it go away

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Is it really hard for some of you to learn how to cut quotes?

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#46 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

@LJS9502_basic: Christ, am I ever glad I didn't start that one..

TOPIC: If there is an aspect of the gaming community that is hostile towards women, and I mean actually hostile, then journos should most definitely talk about it. If not, they aren't doing there jobs properly. The fact that it's an issue that gets way blown out of proportion by SJW's doesn't make it any less of an issue.

Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Abbeten

@themajormayor said:

Yes you can. In what way is it misogynist? Attacking a person rather than the argument is what is called ad hominem, not misogyny. But what argument are we talking about here? Someone had apparently falsely claimed that she was attractive. So if you call it ad hominem that I attacked the person rather than the argument when the argument was about the person herself then it is very lulzy.

It's ad hominem because the tangent is completely irrelevant to her role in the topic being discussed, and it was only brought up to degrade her. The ad hominem is misogynist because it attacked her in a way that prominent women in a given area are commonly attacked, by assuming the primary criterion on which they are to be judged for basically anything is their physical appearance.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#48  Edited By deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

What is the specific argument in this whole gamergate thing? I dont like the crap that some people have been saying about women. The demeaning comments and such really don't help their cause. You can disagree with someone's pov without insinuating that they are somehow amoral and promiscuous.

On the other side, I dont think that first person shooters and other similar games are bad or unholy. Guys like to play certain types of games. What's wrong with that? The market is free and open. Just because there are games like FPS, etc. doesn't mean there can't be others. If people feel they aren't included in certain types of games, they can take their business to the developers that do include them. Money talks. Instead of attacking and denigrating the games that some people like, why not push for the development of other types? Gaming is not a zero sum industry. There's tons of room for growth and developers that include more people will probably find they do better financially.

Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Abbeten

Yeah, just straight up calling someone ugly is a pretty naked personal attack bruh. Or at the very least, it is when the discussion of her personal appearance is completely unrelated to her recent salience. And I would guess that she's prominent in the area of feminist video game critique, seeing as how quite a few people have been talking about her for a while now. And I'm saying that this particular line of attack is misogynist because it is one employed far more often against women than dudes.