This topic is locked from further discussion.

H16B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 H16B
Member since 2006 • 111 Posts

What's up everyone, I just have an open-ended question, this is for a paper, I just need some ideas to get going.

The question; What is the most important cause for America's initial involvement in Vietnam?

If you guys can help me generate some ideas, it's more of an open-ended question, so opinions matter and I'd greatly appreciate your opinions.

GodofBigMacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 GodofBigMacs
Member since 2008 • 6440 Posts
It was the Cold War. The US didn't want communism to spread... But that might have been ONE of them. I know a pretty decent amount about wars, but Vietnam and Korea are more shady to me.
H16B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 H16B
Bump please, and expand god, what do you mean, the cold war.
boogerschnooky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 boogerschnooky
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
It was an indirect war between the soviet union and the US. It was a fight against communism.
LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts
It was the Cold War. The US didn't want communism to spread... But that might have been ONE of them. I know a pretty decent amount about wars, but Vietnam and Korea are more shady to me. GodofBigMacs
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was a big reason for it. Vietnam was basically split into 2 halves, the communist north and the free south, and the U.S. didn't want communism to spread to the southern half, part of a strategy called containment, which was a policy that tried to contain Communist movements and strengthn America's sercurity and influence during the Cold War.
limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts

Bump please, and expand god, what do you mean, the cold war.H16B

You don't know what the Cold War is:?

H16B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 H16B
I do, just wondering what the relation was bettween america's involvement in vietnam and the cold war? Explain that.
LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts
I do, just wondering what the relation was bettween america's involvement in vietnam and the cold war? Explain that.H16B
Read my post. It basically says that one of the reasons that America fought in Vietnam was to contain the spread of communism, and to increase America's security during the Cold War.
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#9 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
Well coming from a 34 year old American I'd say it was wanting to stop the spread of communism, of course the Cold War with America and the USSR was very much real at the time and any edge one had over the other was a huge deal. Look up American involvement in USSR vs. Afghanistan. As well as help prop up and develop an ally in that area of the world a la Iraq.
bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 bogaty
Member since 2003 • 4750 Posts

The whole "domino theory" and the fears of a spread of Communism is a bit of a myth the Americans like to tell themselves. Kind of like with the US civil war. They like to claim it was fought over slavery and not states' rights. Anyway, the chief reason the US got involved in Vietnam was, as is the case in most wars, monetary.

Check out The Pentagon Papers.

Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jacobistheman
Member since 2007 • 3975 Posts
[QUOTE="GodofBigMacs"]It was the Cold War. The US didn't want communism to spread... But that might have been ONE of them. I know a pretty decent amount about wars, but Vietnam and Korea are more shady to me.

Yeah, the US was scared that communism would spead making china more powerful, and russia more powerful, even though the Chinese hated the Russians, and the Vietnamese hated the Chinese, it is kind of ironic. Also the french had colonies over there up until the 40s or 50s, and kind of got the US into it.