The UK is officially out of recession.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by HyperWarlock (3295 posts) -

http://news.sky.com/story/1002496/recession-ends-amid-olympic-games-boost

The latest GDP figures show the biggest growth in the UK economy in years, and it has lifted us out of recession. Hopefully it will last.

#2 Posted by Lonelynight (30041 posts) -
hopefully
#3 Posted by jimkabrhel (15440 posts) -

I had heard that the UK was heading for a double dip recession and a pretty serious one, so this is great news, not just for the UK, but the rest of the world too.

#4 Posted by sexyweapons (5302 posts) -

YAY

Lets just try and keep it like that:P

#5 Posted by johnd13 (8554 posts) -

Good for you UKers!

#6 Posted by MannyDelgado (1187 posts) -

I had heard that the UK was heading for a double dip recession and a pretty serious one, so this is great news, not just for the UK, but the rest of the world too.

jimkabrhel
It was already in one
#7 Posted by Overlord93 (12602 posts) -
Sky news is so freaking random. I mean, a builder making a wall out of £ symbols and £s on an escalator. Who comes up with this crap?
#8 Posted by Barbariser (6761 posts) -

With any luck this is going to stick and the EU as a whole will recover too. Because if the EU collapses, the world's gonna be economically fvcked for a few years or so.

#9 Posted by The_Gaming_Baby (6343 posts) -

http://news.sky.com/story/1002496/recession-ends-amid-olympic-games-boost

The latest GDP figures show the biggest growth in the UK economy in years, and it has lifted us out of recession. Hopefully it will last.

HyperWarlock
All thanks to the Olympics. It won't last long
#10 Posted by gamerguru100 (11665 posts) -
hopefullyLonelynight
I thought you hated the West.
#11 Posted by Chevolutionary (23290 posts) -
I look forward to the triple dip recession we will soon be enjoying.
#12 Posted by muller39 (14944 posts) -

For now... but seriously I hope they keep it up.

#13 Posted by Storm_Marine (12223 posts) -

Well done UK, your GDP isn't bleeding anymore. Now you're just stuck with near stagnant growth like the rest of Europe and the US.

#14 Posted by sonicare (53676 posts) -

I was just listening to some BBC report where they were worried about a "triple dip" recession.

#15 Posted by TopTierHustler (3894 posts) -

The U.S. has technically been out of recession for a while.

I don't think we'll see positive from this for a bit.

#16 Posted by JohnF111 (14125 posts) -
Hah... How long will this last, the best thing to end the recession is to make everyone think the recession is over so that they spend to improve the economy. It's odd that when we're told there's a recession everyone stops spending, businesses go bust, people lose jobs and the economy falls, which actually contributes to the recession itself.
#17 Posted by Lonelynight (30041 posts) -
[QUOTE="Lonelynight"]hopefullygamerguru100

I don't, I'm just jealous.
#18 Posted by EJ902 (14425 posts) -
It's great, today someone said to me "hey what's up" and I said "OUR GDP BRAH, OUT OF RECESSION!" and we all cheered and threw fish and chips up into the air
#19 Posted by meconate (10476 posts) -
People still say we're back in it again, and some just disagree and say this is crap and we're still in a recession... I dunno... It's good news if it's true, though.
#20 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7653 posts) -

[QUOTE="gamerguru100"][QUOTE="Lonelynight"]hopefullyLonelynight

I don't, I'm just jealous.

Don't be. Its overrated :P

#21 Posted by seahorse123 (1237 posts) -
You don't have the olympic's every year people will simply buy less at Christmas
#22 Posted by Overlord93 (12602 posts) -
[QUOTE="meconate"]People still say we're back in it again, and some just disagree and say this is crap and we're still in a recession... I dunno... It's good news if it's true, though.

I reckon we could get out of recession much easier if we had a TV channel that only plays happy TV shows and the news broadcasts only tell happy positive stories. Like stories about kittens finding new homes and homeless people getting their lives back together.
#23 Posted by meconate (10476 posts) -
[QUOTE="meconate"]People still say we're back in it again, and some just disagree and say this is crap and we're still in a recession... I dunno... It's good news if it's true, though.Overlord93
I reckon we could get out of recession much easier if we had a TV channel that only plays happy TV shows and the news broadcasts only tell happy positive stories. Like stories about kittens finding new homes and homeless people getting their lives back together.

Very true, Teletubbies 24/7, I say. ...and there should be bunnies running across the desks when the news is shown.
#24 Posted by PiscesChick93 (10714 posts) -

Yayza!

#25 Posted by benleslie5 (8045 posts) -

I hope this is true, I do live in the UK and its not easy finding a job and buisneses going down too

#26 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6767 posts) -

About time. England sucks so much now. Her Imperial Majesty would be ashamed!

#27 Posted by Horgen (111468 posts) -
Sure this isn't a one time boost from the olympics?
#28 Posted by o0squishy0o (2775 posts) -
Sure this isn't a one time boost from the olympics? horgen123
I think the whole year has been really good for the UK. You say its a boost from the olympics, but I think its a boost from a great olympics. Just imagine if we failed massively on hosting that. I think despite what lefties say, the Conservative party have done a good job on getting the country back on the road to recovery. People fail to realise that the country is completely different to the people. Thats a different argument :P. However for the UK I think we will see a slight dip back down, in spring, however I hope that we atleast have a steady growth. Things have changed, it just needs to continually improve, I just hope nobody is to rash about the whole thing.
#29 Posted by MannyDelgado (1187 posts) -
I think despite what lefties say, the Conservative party have done a good job on getting the country back on the road to recovery. o0squishy0o
Um, why? The UK's recovery has been even slower than its recovery from the great depression. If that's a good job, what the f*ck is a bad job?
#30 Posted by toast_burner (22883 posts) -

About time. England sucks so much now. Her Imperial Majesty would be ashamed!

Mozelleple112

What country are you comparing it to to say that it sucks?

#31 Posted by tenaka2 (17040 posts) -

[QUOTE="o0squishy0o"]I think despite what lefties say, the Conservative party have done a good job on getting the country back on the road to recovery. MannyDelgado
Um, why? The UK's recovery has been even slower than its recovery from the great depression. If that's a good job, what the f*ck is a bad job?

I never got that, what was so great about it?

#32 Posted by toast_burner (22883 posts) -

[QUOTE="MannyDelgado"][QUOTE="o0squishy0o"]I think despite what lefties say, the Conservative party have done a good job on getting the country back on the road to recovery. tenaka2

Great means large.

#33 Posted by tenaka2 (17040 posts) -

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="MannyDelgado"]Um, why? The UK's recovery has been even slower than its recovery from the great depression. If that's a good job, what the f*ck is a bad job?toast_burner

Great means large.

I was making a joke toastie.

#34 Posted by ultimate-k (2348 posts) -

It props wont have any effect anyway, living here still sucks.

#35 Posted by tenaka2 (17040 posts) -

ultimate-k

Where you living? I think its alright.

#36 Posted by Postmortem123 (7718 posts) -

ultimate-k

Leave then.