The shocking wealth inequality in America ( 6 minute video inside)

• 174 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 0

#151 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts
Just recently read how Heinz CEO could get $210 million if he got fire. Also read how the economy is seeing more productivity and corporations are getting record profit, but either not hiring nor raising workers salaries to adjust for inflation. In Oregon, for companies to get tax breaks they have to be required to pay their workers at a minimum or have a hiring requirement of 100 or so workers. The feds should do the same thing for companies wanting tax breaks by requiring to either hire or increase the workers pay.
bookwormwizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#152 bookwormwizard
Member since 2013 • 48 Posts
[QUOTE="bookwormwizard"]Now this was an incredible situation, and I hate to judge the man, he was just a kid, but to say this (now that he's older) saying in a funny way its like the markets...Yea, if someone does not do it, someone else will, so you can do whatever? What on earth...And to feel no guilt, I know I would, at least a little, even if its not directly my fault. If anyone has a lack of empathy its him.Ace6301
I don't really see why he should feel guilt for that. He couldn't have done anything and if he had he would have been probably been thrown in a concentration camp. He fully admits there that what was going on was evil so he obviously felt bad about what was happening. I feel as if you're also misunderstanding what he's saying. It doesn't seem like he's saying anything like what your claiming it seems more that he's saying if it wasn't that particular man he was with confiscating those things then it would have been someone else so why bother the distinction that he was there. Also I have like almost no clue who this is so my entire judgement of his character is from what you posted.

Well lets just say he has less empthy or more "psychopathic traits" then Bill Gates (thats what I was kind of getting at), but yeah, what you said made sense. Geore Soros I beleive has done ALOT of questionable things in terms of the market but I'm not well versed enough in that stuff to be able to explain it, I only know some of the things I heard and thats not good enough to post on it. But Lots of people do questionable things in the market and thats why loop holes need to be closed. This is both republicans and democrats fault. There is no reason why loop holes should not be closed, how can either side be agianst that? Why are they spending so much time arguing about things that they probably will never agree on when there is stuff they agree on that they can pass now.
nunovlopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 nunovlopes
Member since 2009 • 2638 Posts

That wealth inequality decreased considerably in Latin America thanks to leftist leaders like Chavez, Lula, Mujica, Correa while it increases in the US and Europe... Food for thought.

kuraimen

It may have decreased, but wealth inequality in Brazil is still massive compared to Europe.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#154 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPKKQnijnsM

"The average worker needs to work more than a month to earn what the CEO makes in one hour".

If that is not f*cked up, I don't know what is.

gamerguru100
Yea because the guy who is responsible to the stockholders and making sure the company runs right deserves the same pay as the guy who sweeps the floors. Idiots.
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts

[QUOTE="kuraimen"]I'm not saying all ceos are psychopaths, that would be ridiculous. But some research have shown that an unusually high portion of them have psychopathic traits since those traits are useful for that kind of positions.Aljosa23

Just because you have some symptoms doesn't mean you have the illness. Psychopaths have little if any long-term goals and aren't able to make meaningful relationships...both of which you need to be a successful businessman.

Psychopaths lack normal empathy and can be diagnosed, no normal human being lacks empathy. Psychopaths can be pretty good at manipulating people because they don't lack Machiavellian intelligence, in fact in some ways they could be better at using it than normal people but they do lack a proper theory of the mind so its difficult for them to read emotions in others. They can have relationships but not using the same mechanisms as normal individuals. Just look at politicians like Hitler and Stalin or the BTK serial killer in the US who was married for many years and his family didn't suspect. Now of course there will be different levels of psychopathy not all are full psychopaths. Psychopaths can be functional individuals, sometimes even charming.

Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 Rhazakna
Member since 2004 • 11022 Posts
Inequality is the inevitable result of a society organized by state maintained hierarchical property norms. The nature of statist property (public or private) is to have most of the wealth concentrated to a certain class of people, usually the capitalist and/or political classes.
junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

Couldn't make it through the first minute.

I've said it several times on this board---No one is stopping anyone from getting rich in the US.  No one is stopping you from coming up with the next social media sensation, medicine, or other invention that people can use and want.  Who or what is stopping you then?  Yep, it's you.  You, my friend, are not smart enough, bright enough, lack the ingenuity and the dedication it takes to acquire large amounts of wealth.  You, do not have what it takes. 

But teh CEO?!  He makes more than everyone!  Yep, that fvcker who makes 500 million a year is light years ahead of you in the smarts department...that's why he's the CEO and your the person on a video game website complaining about how much money you don't have.

Accept your life or do something about it.  One thing hasn't changed in this country(yet) and it's the opportunity to succeed.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 kuraimen

I've said it several times on this board---No one is stopping anyone from getting rich in the US.  No one is stopping you from coming up with the next social media sensation, medicine, or other invention that people can use and want.  Who or what is stopping you then?  Yep, it's you.  You, my friend, are not smart enough, bright enough, lack the ingenuity and the dedication it takes to acquire large amounts of wealth.  You, do not have what it takes. 

But teh CEO?!  He makes more than everyone!  Yep, that fvcker who makes 500 million a year is light years ahead of you in the smarts department...that's why he's the CEO and your the person on a video game website complaining about how much money you don't have.

Accept your life or do something about it.  One thing hasn't changed in this country(yet) and it's the opportunity to succeed.

junglist101
Lol that's quite a fairytale if any...
Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 Rhazakna

junglist101
The biggest and most powerful corporations are the ones with the most connections to the political class. How people can think a corporatist economy is a meritocracy is just beyond me.
junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 junglist101

[QUOTE="junglist101"]

Rhazakna

The biggest and most powerful corporations are the ones with the most connections to the political class. How people can think a corporatist economy is a meritocracy is just beyond me.

What have you done lately to acquire wealth?

junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 junglist101

[QUOTE="junglist101"]

kuraimen

I could be mistaken but do you live in the US?

Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 Rhazakna

[QUOTE="Rhazakna"][QUOTE="junglist101"]

junglist101

What does that have to do with what I said?
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 kuraimen

[QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="junglist101"]

junglist101

Nope but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that a meritocracy like the one you speak of is utopically unrealistic. People don't live in isolation, the society that surrounds them in many ways affects their fate. Big money interests affect US politics to the point where it looks more like a plutocracy than a meritocracy. Intelligence is not even properly defined so what does it even mean being more intelligent? Some people might be better than others at something and yet opportunities are not the same for everybody specially when middle class is starting to disappear in the US and many need 2 or 3 jobs to subsist. Lack of proper education is also a problem since education means more opportunities and the levels of education in the US are faltering. I'm not saying that being successful doesn't depend on a person's willpower but to think that there are no other factors that come into the mix is naive to say the least.
AcidThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 AcidThunder
Member since 2010 • 2332 Posts
this is nothing compared to the inequality in mine and other 3rd world countries
junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 junglist101

[QUOTE="junglist101"]

[QUOTE="Rhazakna"] The biggest and most powerful corporations are the ones with the most connections to the political class. How people can think a corporatist economy is a meritocracy is just beyond me.Rhazakna

Well, I was hoping you'd tell me how you've tried to become wealthy and what has prevented you from accomplishing it.  Cause I know people who have tried to become wealthy and made it and I was wondering how their experience with hard work and great ideas differed from yours.

junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 junglist101

[QUOTE="junglist101"]

[QUOTE="kuraimen"] Lol that's quite a fairytale if any...kuraimen

Nope but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that a meritocracy like the one you speak of is utopically unrealistic. People don't live in isolation, the society that surrounds them in many ways affects their fate. Big money interests affect US politics to the point where it looks more like a plutocracy than a meritocracy. Intelligence is not even properly defined so what does it even mean being more intelligent? Some people might be better than others at something and yet opportunities are not the same for everybody specially when middle class is starting to disappear in the US and many need 2 or 3 jobs to subsist. Lack of proper education is also a problem since education means more opportunities and the levels of education in the US are faltering. I'm not saying that being successful doesn't depend on a person's willpower but to think that there are no other factors that come into the mix is naive to say the least.

Yes there are other factors but the harsh truth is that not everyone is going to be successful.

Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 Rhazakna

[QUOTE="Rhazakna"][QUOTE="junglist101"]What have you done lately to acquire wealth?

junglist101

Well, I was hoping you'd tell me how you've tried to become wealthy and what has prevented you from accomplishing it.  Cause I know people who have tried to become wealthy and made it and I was wondering how their experience with hard work and great ideas differed from yours.

I wasn't talking about myself, I was talking about the system. I'm actually going to be making quite a comfortable living as a copy writer. But that's irrelevant, I was just commenting on your claim that CEOs all "deserve" their exorbitant salaries, when very often the only reason they get them is because of political maneuvering. If it wasn't for laws tilted in their favor, Microsoft and Apple (just two examples) would've folded years and years ago.
junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 junglist101

[QUOTE="junglist101"]

[QUOTE="Rhazakna"] What does that have to do with what I said?Rhazakna

I wasn't talking about myself, I was talking about the system. I'm actually going to be making quite a comfortable living as a copy writer. But that's irrelevant, I was just commenting on your claim that CEOs all "deserve" their exorbitant salaries, when very often the only reason they get them is because of political maneuvering. If it wasn't for laws tilted in their favor, Microsoft and Apple (just two examples) would've folded years and years ago.

True, CEOs are overpaid imo as well, but my point is that we need to do less whining and blaming because there is still opportunity in this country.  I look at life like this:  Not everyone will be a rock start, astronaut, famous athlete, president, greedy rich ceo and so on.  This goes for success as well.   It would be nice if all things were equal but they're not.  Not in nature and certainly not for us humans.  

I deeply desire to be wealthy, but the truth is, I don't want it bad enough.  If I did I would be out there busting my ass, doing whatever it takes to get there.  Spending countless nights awake thinking of ideas that would be profitable.  I don't though....I can admit that and we'd all be a little better off if everyone could do the same.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 kuraimen

[QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="junglist101"]I could be mistaken but do you live in the US?

junglist101

Yes there are other factors but the harsh truth is that not everyone is going to be successful.

And no one pretends everyone to be successful but a decent society should strive, at least, for a better quality of life for everyone before striving for having more isolated successful people. Once a society can assure people a dignified life, no matter how simple it is, then success is welcome but having a guy win 20 billion dollars a years while a big percentage of people starve or struggle to make ends meet is shameful rather than something a society should be proud of.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Well this thread is a mess. Yes....there are people that abuse government assistance programs. There are people who don't pay tax. But that is also true of businesses. Second....society does need social programs in place for those incapable of taking care of themselves. So stop whining about social programs those of you that are.

This thread is about INCOME INEQUALITY.  No one is implying that CEOs should be paid at the same rate as those doing the physical work nor as those that rank below them.  HOWEVER, wages are stagnant for those workers while not for CEOs.  That is the inequality.  If you cannot grasp that concept and want to whine that CEOs deserve to take most of the profit from a company then you are in the wrong thread.  And further if the trend continues the wealthy will be supporting the rest of the country since you would effectively erase the middle class that pays much of the tax burden.  Eventually the entire country can be poor together.  Ass backwards thinking with no insight. Some of you would make great political thinkers.  And that is NOT a complement.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

[QUOTE="Rhazakna"]I wasn't talking about myself, I was talking about the system. I'm actually going to be making quite a comfortable living as a copy writer. But that's irrelevant, I was just commenting on your claim that CEOs all "deserve" their exorbitant salaries, when very often the only reason they get them is because of political maneuvering. If it wasn't for laws tilted in their favor, Microsoft and Apple (just two examples) would've folded years and years ago. junglist101

True, CEOs are overpaid imo as well, but my point is that we need to do less whining and blaming because there is still opportunity in this country.  I look at life like this:  Not everyone will be a rock start, astronaut, famous athlete, president, greedy rich ceo and so on.  This goes for success as well.   It would be nice if all things were equal but they're not.  Not in nature and certainly not for us humans.  

I deeply desire to be wealthy, but the truth is, I don't want it bad enough.  If I did I would be out there busting my ass, doing whatever it takes to get there.  Spending countless nights awake thinking of ideas that would be profitable.  I don't though....I can admit that and we'd all be a little better off if everyone could do the same.

I don't think anyone here is asking for CEO or even doctor salaries, but the ones who suffered during the last few years are mostly the middle class and the working class: Wages remain the same while everything increased in price; layoffs to make way for record company profits; thankless bailouts for struggling companies. These concerns probably fall on deaf ears anyway because seriously, how many politicians are willing to compromise their own interests to truly represent the average person?

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#172 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

junglist101
technically if you look at statistics that measure opportunity to succeed, it's decreasing. so yeah, that has changed.
Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts

junglist101

Social mobility in the US is actually quite low.

http://www.sampler.isr.umich.edu/2012/research/exceptional-upward-mobility-in-the-us-is-a-myth-international-studies-show/

Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts

[QUOTE="gamerguru100"]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPKKQnijnsM

"The average worker needs to work more than a month to earn what the CEO makes in one hour".

If that is not f*cked up, I don't know what is.

vfibsux

Yea because the guy who is responsible to the stockholders and making sure the company runs right deserves the same pay as the guy who sweeps the floors. Idiots.

Dat Strawman.