The Raid 2 Discussion

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

So I saw The Raid 2 over the weekend as part of a three movie marathon and I have to just say wow, this might be one of the best action movies ever made!

I was a big fan of the original but I definitely feel this sequel topped it in every way. Gareth and co. totally outdid themselves with the increased budget and freedom. There is now a solid story which also allowed the actors/actresses to really act and gave more meaning to the incredible fighting found throughout the movie.

In particular, the last 45 minutes of the movie were just absolutely incredible! It had one of the best car chases I have ever seen in a movie, and finished off with the best fight of the movie.

I wrote a more detailed review in me blog that I linked to in my sig, but I think the important thing here is that the movie was freaking AWESOME and has actually been my fav movie of the year so far which says a lot considering how strong this year is proving to be movie wise.

What does OT think?

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts

The Raid 2 was the improved version from the first,it's ok for the first one,but what would happen if you combine the two in a single marathon? You'll be amazed on how important the hands and legs spoke the action instead of the mouth,I remember what "Mad Dog" used to say.. " Now this...this is more like it,there's the 'greget'." if I translate it properly

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#3 bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

Dang i got all nerdly excited. I thought you were talking about Raid 2.

Anyways haven't seen the movie yet, looks good!

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By LostProphetFLCL

@bowchicka07 said:

Dang i got all nerdly excited. I thought you were talking about Raid 2.

Anyways haven't seen the movie yet, looks good!

Love have never heard of that.

The movie is a bit harder to find unfortunately. I was actually shocked when I found it playing at a theater nearby. Movie had been out for a week or two already but hadn't been playing at the theater right away....

Obviously I recommend jumping on any chance you have to see the movie!

htotheo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 htotheo
Member since 2005 • 2759 Posts

In my opinion one of the best action movies ever made and really shows how dominant Asian cinema has become when it comes to action films. It improves on the original in every way possible and really paces itself quite well (build up to large fight scenes was so intense). I could go on and on about it but I'll just ask people try and see it at the cinema if they can.

Avatar image for platinumking320
platinumking320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 platinumking320
Member since 2003 • 668 Posts

And can you believe when Gareth went down to Indonesia, he was originally trying to make a 'Pencat Silak' documentary. No better showcase of the martial art than this.

Another great thing is despite the speed, you can see everything thats happening. Everything is choreographed and there's no dumb shaky cam.

See this is why mainly action & fight choreographers, or at least directors who know their limits and what they're doing, should direct action films.

In the west we can get too broad and superficial with action, but not always as logical. Even when it comes to the script, Hollywood folks write a generic sentence about how protagonists demolish the villains. In Asian cinema, I think most every movement and hit is considered logically, like dialogue in a drama scene.

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LostProphetFLCL

@platinumking320 said:

And can you believe when Gareth went down to Indonesia, he was originally trying to make a 'Pencat Silak' documentary. No better showcase of the martial art than this.

Another great thing is despite the speed, you can see everything thats happening. Everything is choreographed and there's no dumb shaky cam.

See this is why mainly action & fight choreographers, or at least directors who know their limits and what they're doing, should direct action films.

In the west we can get too broad and superficial with action, but not always as logical. Even when it comes to the script, Hollywood folks write a generic sentence about how protagonists demolish the villains. In Asian cinema, I think most every movement and hit is considered logically, like dialogue in a drama scene.

This guy has a pretty good video about how Hollywood seems to be losing it's grasp on how to film action scenes.

Personally the only Hollywood action movies I have been enjoying lately are the Superhero movies. Been enjoying a lot of other genres from Hollywood, but not action...

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

I really want to see it but its only being shown in cinemas in the city so I'm not gonna bother traveling for 2 hours to watch a movie. Guess I'll wait for it to come out on DVD

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LostProphetFLCL

@blangenakker said:

I really want to see it but its only being shown in cinemas in the city so I'm not gonna bother traveling for 2 hours to watch a movie. Guess I'll wait for it to come out on DVD

It is a shame that this movie wasn't a bigger release considering how good it is.

Sorry you have to wait to see it! If you are a fan of the martial arts genre then you definitely need to check it out when it comes out on DVD.