The OT Music Lounge

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

Ok so this is going to replace the old overflowing WAYLT thread.

-Discussion and recommendations are highly encouraged.

-So instead of just posting something like "name of song/album" - "name of artist" maybe elaborate with a */10 rating or a short review. Otherwise, the thread is just a big pointless mess of random songs and stuff.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Hallenbeck77  Moderator  Online
Member since 2005 • 16876 Posts

Stickied for your protection!

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts

Will it feature anime OSTs? if not I would retake this and move it to the Anime Discussion

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By leon2365
Member since 2006 • 13096 Posts

the poison - running wild

to encourage discussion, I like rock, metal, and its related genres. im always looking for suggestions on what to listen to. I usually look to youtube for that, but if anyone here has any recommendations, im open to them.

Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Smashbrossive50

Then I'll be more than happy to recommend some of the greatest soundtrack in anime,my first recommendation will be Beyond the Boundary's OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNkW0CtbIUk

That's the full song,just great to hear an anime op with such thrill factor

Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Smashbrossive50

@sheikhspeare: maybe you've never seen such anime,don't tell me you're watching them anime for fanservices,'cause that's where it sucks the most.ok stick to the topic at hand...let's try something fresher here......how about some vintage hip hop? They used to say things about how life's like at that time

Like...2pac or some jazz if you prefer

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9  Edited By deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

@Smashbrossive50 said:

Will it feature anime OSTs? if not I would retake this and move it to the Anime Discussion

Any music.

On second thought. Nicki Minaj is banned. That is the only rule.

Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Smashbrossive50

@sheikhspeare: tough life happens fo real,you won't be able to find someone like him in this bling age,rappers today talked about how rich they were,and start debating each of it's own league's wealth

OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 OfficialBed
Member since 2005 • 17668 Posts

I mainly listen to metal, hardcore, punk. Usually music that is heavy and/or fast.

Wolves - "Curse"

OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By OfficialBed

I received an email from the Band Wolves regarding their latest EP release on Bandcamp the other day. I finally got around to downloading it today. Digging this EP. Here's the link to the full EP stream on YouTube. Wolves - Gloom EP

Wolves - "Eulogy"

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#15  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

Obsessed with this song:

Loading Video...

Such unexpected and strange subject matter for a pop song; unfortunately, it won't get a video because it has zero hit potential. But the atmosphere is so gorgeous and the imagery is so vivid. The "May God bless you all" part is especially striking.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#16 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

To everyone who is or shall be posting:

I would encourage commentary beyond something along the lines of: Your taste in music is bad. That is not really discussion. Let's keep it civil for all of our sakes.

On topic:

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's Requiem is currently playing. Mozart is considered by many as the greatest composer who ever lived and Requiem is his magnum opus. It is, quite frankly, one of the greatest pieces of music in the history of mankind. I recommend it to any music hobbyist or professional.

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

Well this thread is off to a great start...

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GreySeal9

@BranKetra said:

To everyone who is or shall be posting:

I would encourage commentary beyond something along the lines of: Your taste in music is bad. That is not really discussion. Let's keep it civil for all of our sakes.

On topic:

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's Requiem is currently playing. Mozart is considered by many as the greatest composer who ever lived and Requiem is his magnum opus. It is, quite frankly, one of the greatest pieces of music in the history of mankind. I recommend it to any music hobbyist or professional.

My favorite Mozart piece: link

MrsSolidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 MrsSolidSnake
Member since 2009 • 5003 Posts

Currently listening to Foo Fighters - Sonic Highways. I'm listening to all their music at the moment as I am seeing them live on Thursday.

Slashless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

#20 Slashless
Member since 2011 • 9534 Posts

GOAT Albums go:

Mezzanine

Dummy

Oneirology

currently listening to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEuPY1Q69QU

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 leon2365

seventeen - winger

since I got my job almost 2 months ago, ive flown by artists like crazy. the trip to work is 1 hour and a half, and I get an album done each trip. that's 2 albums a day. sometimes even more for artists with shorter albums. ive gone through pantera, winger, savatage, grave digger. just to name a few. currently finishing up running wild. about 5 more albums to go. at least I have a bunch of other artists lined up to check out afterwards.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 branketra

@GreySeal9 said:

Why do you favor that concerto?

Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Smashbrossive50

@sheikhspeare: ain't gonna happen homeboy,I don't like metal for a reason,and leave me be for my taste is mine,yours is yours. ps I only talked to people who's willing enough to understand my affairs

Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Smashbrossive50

Ok I'm gonna pull this music again this time and NO SHEIKHSPEARE COMMENT PLEASE...IT'S A WASTE OF GOOD ENJOYMENT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNkW0CtbIUk

I know why some people wanted to persecute these,if they're gone I'll lead an uprising in which participants MUST BE EQUIPPED WITH A METALLIC MEASURE BAR.

Brutal_Elitegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Brutal_Elitegs
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts

@BranKetra said:

I prefer his mass in C minor - http://youtu.be/TGCUPyrk4Eg?t=37m8s (41:25 the brunette choir singer <3)

On the topic of Mozart, recently I've been enamoured with Reger's variations and a fugue on a Mozart theme (Mozart wrote his own set of variations on it). Listen to the fugue if nothing else.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GreySeal9

@BranKetra said:

@GreySeal9 said:

Why do you favor that concerto?

The interplay of the dream-like strings and the delicate, lush harp bits just takes me to such a lovely place. It's both cinematic and intimate and it sounds effortless while possessing great emotional depth.

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#28 BiancaDK
Member since 2008 • 19092 Posts

Я понял чего ты ждешь

i would rate this song 10 out of 10 because i like it

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By branketra

@GreySeal9: The flute play in it is also noteworthy. It is quite elegant.

@Brutal_Elitegs: Reger's variations and fugue are brilliant. I am glad I know about this musician, now.

I prefer other works by Mozart as well. Requiem was mentioned because it is the most audibly striking composition due to its inspired vocals, to me. That said, His piano concerto no 21 -Andante, for example, is serene. link

Another particular piece by Mozart that I enjoy is symphony no 40 in G minor, K550- 1 Molto Allegro (Link).It is very emotional, yet beautifully controlled.

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 leon2365

burning oasis - iced earth

this is another artist I went through. they were pretty good.

OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 OfficialBed

Dying Fetus - "Schematics"

Absolutely love these guys!

OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 OfficialBed

Dethklok - "Better Metal Snake"

Love the band and the show.

Brutal_Elitegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Brutal_Elitegs

@BranKetra: If you don't love at least one Mozart PC middle movement then you have some sort of deficiency in the fabric of your being. Trying to refrain from waxing Salieri, but I absolutely adore the opening of this. It begins with a naked melody in the piano that is followed with a horn call that ushers in the rest of the orchestra which echoes the piano and gives life to that rather plaintive sounding melody. Simple, beautiful and incredibly effective.

Brutal_Elitegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Brutal_Elitegs
Loading Video...

http://www.recmusic.org/lieder/get_text.html?TextId=8802

EPICCOMMANDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 EPICCOMMANDER
Member since 2013 • 1110 Posts
@leon2365 said:

Tales. You must listen to Tales.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By branketra

@Brutal_Elitegs: I do not agree that humanity has a certain objective preference for specific music, philosophically speaking, but there is evidence to suggest that Mozart's music is literally beneficial to life which might be the greatest compliment one can give a composer.

Mozart was talented at beginning pieces with simple melodies and elegantly increasing their complexity in such a way that it feels like he is telling the stories of interacting with a lovely person with musical notation. His music emulates emotion, beautifully. Another favorite classical composer of mine, if I have not expressed the aforementioned favoring of Mozart, now you know, is Johann Sebastian Bach. =)

Cello Suite no. 1 in G major exudes a sense of intellectualism. One way to describe is that if it were words instead of musical notes, it would be like experiencing a discussion with a bright individual.

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 leon2365

@EPICCOMMANDER said:
@leon2365 said:

Tales. You must listen to Tales.

very nice. thanks for the recommendation. I appreciate it. if you have anymore, im open to them.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#38 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@Storm_Marine said:

Ok so this is going to replace the old overflowing WAYLT thread.

-Discussion and recommendations are highly encouraged.

-So instead of just posting something like "name of song/album" - "name of artist" maybe elaborate with a */10 rating or a short review. Otherwise, the thread is just a big pointless mess of random songs and stuff.

I like this idea, the old thread was full of random songs that people posted and nobody read them, just scrolled to bottom of thread and posted thier own.

Maybe in this one we might discuss more.

@leon2365 said:

I like Iced Earth, only really got into them a few years ago when they released "Dystopia" an awesome album one of my favourite metal albums ever.

Album in my car at the moment is "Overkill - Ironbound"

Now thats thrash metal, the album is non stop speedy thrash metal and most the songs are really catchy, Overkills best album since "Feel the Fire" in the 80s

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 leon2365

@thehig1: overkill is definitely an awesome band. went through them a few years back. iced earth was finished about 2 weeks ago. the long ride to work kills albums pretty quick.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 thehig1

@leon2365 said:

@thehig1: overkill is definitely an awesome band. went through them a few years back. iced earth was finished about 2 weeks ago. the long ride to work kills albums pretty quick.

Iced Earth are finished ?

There planning a tour for the winter when Jon recovers.

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By leon2365

@thehig1 said:

@leon2365 said:

oh no, sorry. lol. poor choice of wording on my part. :P what I meant was that I finished listening to all of their albums about 2 weeks ago. my bus ride to work is an hour and a half, so I get about 3 albums done each day.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 thehig1

@leon2365 said:

@thehig1 said:

@leon2365 said:

oh no, sorry. lol. poor choice of wording on my part. :P what I meant was that I finished listening to all of their albums about 2 weeks ago. my bus ride to work is an hour and a half, so I get about 3 albums done each day.

hahaha, ok I was thinking they had quit for a moment

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 leon2365

@thehig1: I would hope not. that dystopia was an awesome album.

on another note, I hate it when I find an awesome album on youtube, but then it doesn't exist anywhere to own. curse these people for not sharing more widely.

Brutal_Elitegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Brutal_Elitegs
Loading Video...

A pseudo autobiographical work of a rather fascinating man.

Some background info which is sort of hilarious (courtesy of Robert Greenberg, mostly)

On September 11, 1827, Berlioz, attended a Parisian performance of Shakespeare's Hamlet. The play was performed in English, a language Berlioz did not speak at the time. He followed the action from a crude translation. Nevertheless, he was bowled over, and not just by the play, but by a certain actress in the cast. Her real name was Harriet Smithson, despite the fact that Berlioz insisted calling her Henriette.

Thus smitten, Hector Berlioz, stage door Johnny par excellence, spent the next few months trying to bring himself to Smithson's attention. Accurately speaking he became a Harriet Smithson fanatic, a stalker, infatuated to the point of psychosis. On Februray 6, 1830, two and a half years after seeing Smithson, Berlioz wrote:

"After a period of calm, I have just been plunged again into the tortures of an endless and unquenchable passion, without cause, without purpose. She is still in London and yet I seem to feel her all around me. I hear my heart pounding and its beats set me going like the piston srokes of a steam engine. Each muscle of my body trembles with pain - useless, frightening, unhappy woman, If she could - for one moment - coceive all the poetry, all the infinity of such a love, she would fly to my arms, even if she must die from my embrace.

No words could describe what I suffered. Even Shakespeare has never painted the horrible gnawing of the heart, the sense of utter desolation, the worthlessness of life, the torture of one's throbbing pulses, and the wild confusion of one's mind. The disgust of life, and the impossiblity of suicide. The great poet has done no more in Hamlet than to count suffering as amongst the most terrible evils of life. I had left off composing, my mind was paralyzed as my passion grew. I could only suffer."

Yikes, get a grip guy, and this is all without having actually met her.

Movement One

Passions: The author imagines that a young musician afflicted with that moral disease that a well-known writer calls the "wave of passions" sees for the first time a woman who embodies all the charms of the ideal being he has imagined in his dreams, and he falls desperately in love with her.

Translation: Berlioz saw "Henriette" Smithson.

Through an odd whim, whenever the beloved image appears before the mind's eye of the artist, it is linked with a musical idea (http://youtu.be/P0jhkYx2x5Y?t=5m24s) whose character, passionate but at the same time noble and shy, he finds similar to his beloved. This melodic image and the model it reflects pursue him incessantly.

In other words the theme represents Harriet, and will appear and reappear in every one of the five movements. I've read that the ending of this movement represents a male orgasm. Extramusical projected nonsense from the listener based on the text, or randy Berlioz? I'll leave that for you to decide.

Movement Two (15:20)

A Ball: The artist finds himself in the most diverse situations in life, in the tumult of a festive party, in the peaceful contemplation of the beautiful sights of nature, yet everywhere, whether in town or in the countryside, the beloved image keeps haunting him and throws his spirit into confusion (http://youtu.be/P0jhkYx2x5Y?t=17m25s and http://youtu.be/P0jhkYx2x5Y?t=20m28s).

Translation: He stops moping around and decides to go out to try and forget about Harriet, but her image haunts him everywhere he goes, her face superimposed on everything, from advertising billboards to the neighbourhood dog.

Movement Three (21:40)

Scene in the Fields: One evening in the countryside he hears two shepherds in the distance dialoguing with their 'ranz des vaches'; this pastoral duet, the setting, the gentle rustling of the trees in the wind, some causes for hope that he has recently conceived, all conspire to restore to his heart an unaccustomed feeling of calm and to give to his thoughts a happier colouring. He broods on his loneliness, and hopes that soon he will no longer be on his own ... But what if she betrayed him! ... This mingled hope and fear, these ideas of happiness, disturbed by dark premonitions, form the subject of the adagio. At the end one of the shepherds resumes his ‘ranz des vaches’; the other one no longer answers. Distant sound of thunder ... solitude ... silence ...

Translation:

Berlioz: She loves me. She loves me not. Will she ever love me? She can never love me.

Harriet: "Sorry, what did you say your name was again?"

Movement Four (38:50)

March to the Scaffold: Convinced that his love is unappreciated, the artist poisons himself with opium. The dose of narcotic, while too weak to cause his death, plunges him into a heavy sleep accompanied by the strangest of visions. He dreams that he has killed his beloved, that he is condemned, led to the scaffold and is witnessing his own execution. As he cries for forgiveness the effects of the narcotic set in. He wants to hide but he cannot so he watches as an onlooker as he dies. The procession advances to the sound of a march that is sometimes sombre and wild, and sometimes brilliant and solemn, in which a dull sound of heavy footsteps follows without transition the loudest outbursts. At the end of the march, the first four bars of the idée fixe reappear like a final thought of loveinterrupted by the fatal blow when his head bounced down the steps.

Translation: I'm tripping out, yo!

Movement Five (45:40)

Dream of the Night of the Sabbath:

He sees himself at a witches’ sabbath, in the midst of a hideous gathering of shades, sorcerers and monsters of every kind who have come together for his funeral. Strange sounds, groans, outbursts of laughter; distant shouts which seem to be answered by more shouts. The beloved melody appears once more, but has now lost its noble and shy character; it is now no more than a vulgar dance tune, trivial and grotesque: it is she who is coming to the sabbath ... Roar of delight at her arrival ... She joins the diabolical orgy ... The funeral knell tolls, burlesque parody of the Dies irae (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dies_Irae), the dance of the witches. The dance of the witches combined with the Dies irae. (Skeleton dance!!)

Translation: In modern times Miss Smithson might have got a restraining order against Mr Berlioz, instead they got married.

Melodramatic, pathetic, witty, creative, original, in all ways brilliant. Berlioz was a character all right.

Brutal_Elitegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Brutal_Elitegs

I'm not sorry.

I have no idea how to put all of that into a spoiler

I also missed an opportunity.

OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 OfficialBed

Emmure - "You Got A Henna Tattoo That Said Forever"

OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 OfficialBed

The Black Dahlia Murder - "Funeral Thirst"

Definitely one of my favourite bands.

LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts

Welcome to INNANET- Vic Mensa

*sees Brutal_Eliteigs' posts*

Uh...I'm actually listening to Chopin. And Mozart...a Chopin and Mozart collaboration. It's unreal. Check it out if you can, you'll never hear anything like it.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#49 Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

I'm confused, is this thread meant to replace all the "Rate the song above you" threads?

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#50 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6082 Posts

If You Want Blood{You've Got It} by AC/DC. 9/10