The OT Book Club! American Gods wins! ROUND 2 (COMICS) VOTING! READ OP

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#351 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -
[QUOTE="Mithrandir50"][QUOTE="dave123321"]Does it matter which version of American Gods we have(given that there are two slightly diffrent versions of the text)?dave123321
No. Wait do you mean the words are different or just the page size/words per page?

There are about 12k more words in the "authors preferred text" which puts back some stuff that was edited out in the original version of the book. So a revised version. The differences between the two are minor from what I have seen.

Huh. I should check that out. I have the normal version. So who here is actually planning to read the book with us? And where is KK?
#352 Posted by dave123321 (33979 posts) -
I enjoyed building stories. Nominating that for the comic round.
#353 Posted by dave123321 (33979 posts) -
Test
#354 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -
Looking forward to Gaiman's new book.
#355 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -
I enjoyed building stories. Nominating that for the comic round. dave123321
Interesting nomination
#356 Posted by deathtarget04 (2266 posts) -

Is it too late to join this? I have exams coming up and all, but I can schedule in some reading.

#357 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -

Is it too late to join this? I have exams coming up and all, but I can schedule in some reading.

deathtarget04
No, of course not. We will be discussing the first chapter on Friday though, no spoiler tags or anything.
#358 Posted by dave123321 (33979 posts) -
Still think this thread would have been better started for midmay
#359 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -
Still think this thread would have been better started for midmaydave123321
Ehh, it's fine. Thinking the rate of reading is going to be about 2 chapters a week. Nothing strenuous.
#360 Posted by GreySeal9 (24189 posts) -

Is it weird that I thought American Gods was kind of boring? I still haven't finished it.

#361 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -

Is it weird that I thought American Gods was kind of boring? I still haven't finished it.

GreySeal9
Yes. What part did you quit at? I can tell you if it gets better. But I thought that the only bit that could have been trimmed down was the Czernobog stuff.
#362 Posted by aaronmullan (33406 posts) -
This is a pretty cool idea.
#363 Posted by sammyjenkis898 (28072 posts) -
Just popping in to say American Gods is fan-fvcking-tastic.
#364 Posted by sammyjenkis898 (28072 posts) -
Also, for those that don't know, the book is in development at HBO for a series.
#365 Posted by GreySeal9 (24189 posts) -

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

Mithrandir50

Yes. What part did you quit at? I can tell you if it gets better. But I thought that the only bit that could have been trimmed down was the Czernobog stuff.

Honestly, I really don't remember where I quit.

#366 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -

[QUOTE="Mithrandir50"][QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

Honestly, I really don't remember where I quit.

Ahh, ok. Well if you want to give it a try again, feel free to discuss the book with us :) If not, you can sit out this round and maybe the next round will be a book you enjoy.
#367 Posted by dave123321 (33979 posts) -
[QUOTE="Mithrandir50"][QUOTE="dave123321"][QUOTE="Mithrandir50"] I don't want to pressure the people who have a lot of schoolwork to do, Dave. Although I'm not sure that's what you're implying. What infuriates you?

I was being hyperbolic. Anyway, referring to the blowing off of the midday suggestion. Or aljosas suggestion of having someone else make the poll selections each time.

Were my selections unsatisfactory this time? I think it best that the community votes for the final two spots. Anyways, you have no qualms with 2 chapters per week? I think that is manageable for the college students among us.

I would go for bigger chunks per week if it were up to me. Which makes the time of year an issue given the demographics of the forum. 2 chapters a week seems to short for various reasons.
#368 Posted by dave123321 (33979 posts) -
Have my copy ready to go
#369 Posted by dave123321 (33979 posts) -
[QUOTE="dave123321"]Still think this thread would have been better started for midmayMithrandir50
Ehh, it's fine. Thinking the rate of reading is going to be about 2 chapters a week. Nothing strenuous.

Posts like these infuriate me
#370 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -
[QUOTE="Mithrandir50"][QUOTE="dave123321"]Still think this thread would have been better started for midmaydave123321

I don't want to pressure the people who have a lot of schoolwork to do, Dave. Although I'm not sure that's what you're implying. What infuriates you?
#371 Posted by dave123321 (33979 posts) -
[QUOTE="Mithrandir50"][QUOTE="dave123321"][QUOTE="Mithrandir50"] Ehh, it's fine. Thinking the rate of reading is going to be about 2 chapters a week. Nothing strenuous.

I don't want to pressure the people who have a lot of schoolwork to do, Dave. Although I'm not sure that's what you're implying. What infuriates you?

I was being hyperbolic. Anyway, referring to the blowing off of the midday suggestion. Or aljosas suggestion of having someone else make the poll selections each time.
#372 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -
[QUOTE="Mithrandir50"][QUOTE="dave123321"] Posts like these infuriate medave123321

Were my selections unsatisfactory this time? I think it best that the community votes for the final two spots. Anyways, you have no qualms with 2 chapters per week? I think that is manageable for the college students among us.
#373 Posted by dave123321 (33979 posts) -
Would remove watchmen since it seems like a lot would have already read it.
#374 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -
[QUOTE="dave123321"][QUOTE="Mithrandir50"][QUOTE="dave123321"] Were my selections unsatisfactory this time? I think it best that the community votes for the final two spots. Anyways, you have no qualms with 2 chapters per week? I think that is manageable for the college students among us.

I would go for bigger chunks per week if it were up to me. Which makes the time of year an issue given the demographics of the forum. 2 chapters a week seems to short for various reasons.

Three chapters a week, then. Approximately 90 pages a day.
Would remove watchmen since it seems like a lot would have already read it.dave123321
Yes, that is probably true. I kind of want to stay away from superhero books too, unless there is a high demand. Right now the three I am nominating are We3, V for Vendetta, and From Hell.
#375 Posted by dave123321 (33979 posts) -
I will be using the revised text of American Gods
#376 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -

Chapter one has been read.  I'm going to create a list, on Friday, of all the Gods we come across in disguise.  I think there's only one in the first chapter.  

#377 Posted by dave123321 (33979 posts) -
i have not started on this yet. Hopefully soon.
#378 Posted by dave123321 (33979 posts) -
Riffling through the pages
#379 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -

Nobody has had trouble acquiring the book, right?

Let's also post memorable lines.  No plot spoilers though.

I've always liked, "Shadow didn't worry about what tomorrow might bring, because yesterday had brought it."

#380 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -
Riffling through the pagesdave123321
Excited
#381 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -

Is everybody sure they can participate?

#382 Posted by dave123321 (33979 posts) -
Maybe if you actually gave people further warning on when all this would go down, people would be participating a bit more. DAVE OUT
#383 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -

Start discussion TOMORROW NIGHT on first chapter

Try and get the books today, people.

Libraries, Barnes and Nobles, just get it done

#384 Posted by dave123321 (33979 posts) -
Oh everything is fine, the people who said they had too much on their plate were just kidding around.
#385 Posted by dave123321 (33979 posts) -
Am making good progress in the book
#386 Posted by dave123321 (33979 posts) -
Show of hands, who here is planning to read american gods as part of the book club?
#387 Posted by jimkabrhel (15417 posts) -

Show of hands, who here is planning to read american gods as part of the book club?dave123321

Honestly I would love to, but I wouldn't be able to get to it until mid-May, after the semester is over.

#388 Posted by dave123321 (33979 posts) -
That seems to be an issue for many. Maybe Bruce will postpone this till then so more can join in.
#389 Posted by aaronmullan (33406 posts) -

[QUOTE="dave123321"]Show of hands, who here is planning to read american gods as part of the book club?jimkabrhel

Honestly I would love to, but I wouldn't be able to get to it until mid-May, after the semester is over.

I would love to also, but I want to finish 'The Fellowship of the Ring' first. Not to mention it'll take a few days to arrive.
#390 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -

Rocinante, will you read with us?

#391 Posted by Laihendi (5828 posts) -
Show of hands, who here is planning to read american gods as part of the book club?dave123321
I can start reading in about 2 weeks. I will if there is still interest/activity in the club then.
#392 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -
[QUOTE="dave123321"]Show of hands, who here is planning to read american gods as part of the book club?Laihendi
I can start reading in about 2 weeks. I will if there is still interest/activity in the club then.

Good
#393 Posted by rocinante_ (1666 posts) -

Mithrandir50

honestly, i still haven't picked up the book bc i've been busy with exams this week. i'm finished tom, so i'm planning to get the book on fri n i'll likely finish the first chapter that day, if not the next, and enter the discussion. 

#394 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -

[QUOTE="Mithrandir50"]

rocinante_

honestly, i still haven't picked up the book bc i've been busy with exams this week. i'm finished tom, so i'm planning to get the book on fri n i'll likely finish the first chapter that day, if not the next, and enter the discussion. 

This is good news. Hopefully all goes well with exams and stuff
#395 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -

Everybody, what is your favorite Neil Gaiman work?

I vote for Sandman, and then American Gods, and then Neverwhere, although I'm not finished with it yet.

#396 Posted by Ingenemployee (2307 posts) -

I would join in but I have way too many books ahead of American Gods that I'm going to read.

#397 Posted by dave123321 (33979 posts) -
Real lack of hand raising
#398 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -
Real lack of hand raising dave123321
Due to your pessimism, no doubt
#399 Posted by WolfattheDoor34 (3278 posts) -
[QUOTE="dave123321"]Real lack of hand raising Mithrandir50
Due to your pessimism, no doubt

probably not though