The OT Book Club! American Gods wins! ROUND 2 (COMICS) VOTING! READ OP

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#251 Posted by Aljosa23 (24605 posts) -

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]This is absurd. People do not have time to read a 600+ page book in the last weeks of the semester. Of Mice and Men can be easily read over one weekend, and there is extensive literature that has been written about it to facilitate analysis.jimkabrhel

Bullsh*t. You originally suggest The Fountainhead which is 750 pages.

lol was about to say that. what a hypocrite

#252 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -
will watch the hbo show in 2014/2015MrPraline
Man, I really hope that goes through. It was announced like two years ago and there has been no info since!
#253 Posted by DroidPhysX (17088 posts) -
But the autism comment is the thing that will piss him off, not the other stuffdave123321
Thought this post was about lai for a second
#254 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -
[QUOTE="dave123321"]But the autism comment is the thing that will piss him off, not the other stuffDroidPhysX
Thought this post was about lai for a second

Where has Storm been lately? He was a good user
#255 Posted by Laihendi (5800 posts) -

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]This is absurd. People do not have time to read a 600+ page book in the last weeks of the semester. Of Mice and Men can be easily read over one weekend, and there is extensive literature that has been written about it to facilitate analysis.jimkabrhel

The Fountainhead is an exception. It is a compelling read and its length is not a hindrance.
#256 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -
This is absurd. People do not have time to read a 600+ page book in the last weeks of the semester. Of Mice and Men can be easily read over one weekend, and there is extensive literature that has been written about it to facilitate analysis.Laihendi
Lai, quit being close-minded and give American Gods a try. It is fantastic. And instead of jacking off, read.
#257 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -
[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]This is absurd. People do not have time to read a 600+ page book in the last weeks of the semester. Of Mice and Men can be easily read over one weekend, and there is extensive literature that has been written about it to facilitate analysis.Laihendi

The Fountainhead is an exception. It is a compelling read and its length is not a hindrance.

Lai please. If The Fountainhead is compelling than I'm a walrus with diabetes and a purple di*do attached to it's left eyeball
#258 Posted by Aljosa23 (24605 posts) -

[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]This is absurd. People do not have time to read a 600+ page book in the last weeks of the semester. Of Mice and Men can be easily read over one weekend, and there is extensive literature that has been written about it to facilitate analysis.Laihendi

How do you know that isn't true for American Gods?

#259 Posted by Laihendi (5800 posts) -
[QUOTE="Laihendi"]This is absurd. People do not have time to read a 600+ page book in the last weeks of the semester. Of Mice and Men can be easily read over one weekend, and there is extensive literature that has been written about it to facilitate analysis.Mithrandir50
Lai, quit being close-minded and give American Gods a try. It is fantastic. And instead of jacking off, read.

What does the second sentence have to do with anything?
#260 Posted by Laihendi (5800 posts) -

[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

Aljosa23

I do not, but it is a risk and the last weeks of a semester are not a time to take risks. And Bruce, you are being ignorant.
#261 Posted by Aljosa23 (24605 posts) -

I do not, but it is a risk and the last weeks of a semester are not a time to take risks. And Bruce, you are being ignorant.Laihendi
It's a "risk" for any book...that's why book clubs are fun and introduce to you new books you might not have read otherwise. Stop being such a butthurt child about American Gods winning.

#262 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -
[QUOTE="Mithrandir50"][QUOTE="Laihendi"] The Fountainhead is an exception. It is a compelling read and its length is not a hindrance.Laihendi

I do not, but it is a risk and the last weeks of a semester are not a time to take risks. And Bruce, you are being ignorant.

Ignorant? You haven't even read AG and yet you complain that it is poor. You reek of ignorance and poor sportsmanship. You lost, lai.
#263 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]I do not, but it is a risk and the last weeks of a semester are not a time to take risks. And Bruce, you are being ignorant.Aljosa23

It's a "risk" for any book...that's why book clubs are fun and introduce to you new books you might not have read otherwise. Stop being such a butthurt child about American Gods winning.

This... Lai, remember it's not a poll on which is the best book, but which is the book we should read. Both are fine choices, but American Gods won out this time. Perhaps in the third cycle we can put it back in the poll.
#264 Posted by dave123321 (33617 posts) -
Storm is using his main
#265 Posted by dave123321 (33617 posts) -

American Gods is gonna win. well, looks like I'm not participating this time

Aljosa23
Why not?
#266 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -
Storm is using his maindave123321
Wait is KK his main?
#267 Posted by Laihendi (5800 posts) -
I am formally conceding this election. In the early stages of the preliminary voting round, Of Mice and Men was a very distant 3rd place. No one knew then that it would make it this far. I am proud of the fight we put up when no one was willing to give us a chance. You win this time Bruce, but you can be sure that I will be organizing for the next book vote. I will not be beaten so easily then.
#268 Posted by dave123321 (33617 posts) -
I am formally conceding this election. In the early stages of the preliminary voting round, Of Mice and Men was a very distant 3rd place. No one knew then that it would make it this far. I am proud of the fight we put up when no one was willing to give us a chance. You win this time Bruce, but you can be sure that I will be organizing for the next book vote. I will not be beaten so easily then.Laihendi
Proud of you
#269 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -

American Gods oriented pre-reading discussion questions:

Do you feel disconnected emotionally from your peers?

Does the world seem cruel and vague?

How would you react to your wife cheating on you?

Does the possibility that others are in control and that gods walk among you scare you?

How far would you go to get the job done?

#270 Posted by Laihendi (5800 posts) -
[QUOTE="Laihendi"]I am formally conceding this election. In the early stages of the preliminary voting round, Of Mice and Men was a very distant 3rd place. No one knew then that it would make it this far. I am proud of the fight we put up when no one was willing to give us a chance. You win this time Bruce, but you can be sure that I will be organizing for the next book vote. I will not be beaten so easily then.dave123321
Proud of you

I strongly urge you to support The Fountainhead for the next book vote.
#271 Posted by DroidPhysX (17088 posts) -

I am formally conceding this election. In the early stages of the preliminary voting round, Of Mice and Men was a very distant 3rd place. No one knew then that it would make it this far. I am proud of the fight we put up when no one was willing to give us a chance. You win this time Bruce, but you can be sure that I will be organizing for the next book vote. I will not be beaten so easily then.Laihendi

Jesus fvcking christ

#272 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -
Lai, I voted for Of Mice and men this time. I lost too. It doesn't matter. I will be reading both. I urge you to do the same. I also urge you to stay active in this thread, we really would appreciate your input on AG. But I am in charge of this book club. You have the film club. Don't let that die. Next round is Graphic Novels anyways
#273 Posted by dave123321 (33617 posts) -
[QUOTE="dave123321"][QUOTE="Laihendi"]I am formally conceding this election. In the early stages of the preliminary voting round, Of Mice and Men was a very distant 3rd place. No one knew then that it would make it this far. I am proud of the fight we put up when no one was willing to give us a chance. You win this time Bruce, but you can be sure that I will be organizing for the next book vote. I will not be beaten so easily then.Laihendi
Proud of you

I strongly urge you to support The Fountainhead for the next book vote.

Will keep this in mind
#274 Posted by Laihendi (5800 posts) -

Does the possibility that others are in control and that gods walk among you scare you?

Mithrandir50
Yes, and that is good. The world of today is the result of grey amoralists who refuse to live by absolute principles. It is deliberately made to be vague in an attempt to fake reality, which is evil. I am not interested in wives. That is not a possibility so it is a meaningless question. Nobody controls me because I am an individual. If it is a rational job then I will complete it by any means necessary.
#275 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -
[QUOTE="Mithrandir50"]

Laihendi
Yes, and that is good. The world of today is the result of grey amoralists who refuse to live by absolute principles. It is deliberately made to be vague in an attempt to fake reality, which is evil. I am not interested in wives. That is not a possibility so it is a meaningless question. Nobody controls me because I am an individual. If it is a rational job then I will complete it by any means necessary.

Solid
#276 Posted by Guybrush_3 (8308 posts) -

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]I am formally conceding this election. In the early stages of the preliminary voting round, Of Mice and Men was a very distant 3rd place. No one knew then that it would make it this far. I am proud of the fight we put up when no one was willing to give us a chance. You win this time Bruce, but you can be sure that I will be organizing for the next book vote. I will not be beaten so easily then.Mithrandir50
Lai, I voted for Of Mice and men this time. I lost too. It doesn't matter. I will be reading both. I urge you to do the same. I also urge you to stay active in this thread, we really would appreciate your input on AG. But I am in charge of this book club. You have the film club. Don't let that die. Next round is Graphic Novels anyways

OOO, a graphic novel sounds fun. Just not the Watchmen because everyone and their dog has already read it.

#277 Posted by Guybrush_3 (8308 posts) -

Mithrandir50

Not really

More like apathetic and arbitrary

Call her a bitch and walk the f*ck out.

No

Depends on the job.

#278 Posted by kris9031998 (7554 posts) -
Not actually gonna read but i figured i would vote anyway I hate of mice and men, so ...gaiman gets it. Amanda palmer is awesome too.
#279 Posted by Laihendi (5800 posts) -
I recommend The Electric Tale of Pikachu for the graphic novel.
#280 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -

[QUOTE="Mithrandir50"][QUOTE="Laihendi"]I am formally conceding this election. In the early stages of the preliminary voting round, Of Mice and Men was a very distant 3rd place. No one knew then that it would make it this far. I am proud of the fight we put up when no one was willing to give us a chance. You win this time Bruce, but you can be sure that I will be organizing for the next book vote. I will not be beaten so easily then.Guybrush_3

OOO, a graphic novel sounds fun. Just not the Watchmen because everyone and their dog has already read it.

I will put it in the poll. But remember, I am willing to change the poll if enough people cry out. Pretty much going to do Watchmen, V for Vendetta, We3, Dark Knight Returns, All Star Superman.
#281 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -
I recommend The Electric Tale of Pikachu for the graphic novel.Laihendi
I am only offering a select sample of the Absolute best of what comics have to offer in the GN poll. See my post above for what they are.
#282 Posted by kris9031998 (7554 posts) -
No "The Killing Joke"?
#283 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -
No "The Killing Joke"?kris9031998
It's so short! Not enough to discuss.
#284 Posted by jimkabrhel (15416 posts) -

Pikachu and The Fountainhead. How can such a person be taken seriously?

#285 Posted by Laihendi (5800 posts) -

jimkabrhel
The Electric Tale of Pikachu is a great story about friendship and love.
#286 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (3748 posts) -

This is absurd. People do not have time to read a 600+ page book in the last weeks of the semester. Of Mice and Men can be easily read over one weekend, and there is extensive literature that has been written about it to facilitate analysis.Laihendi
You like ayn rand. Therefore for every opinion you have on books, the opposite is true.

bullet proof reasoning.

#287 Posted by Aljosa23 (24605 posts) -

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]I recommend The Electric Tale of Pikachu for the graphic novel.Mithrandir50
I am only offering a select sample of the Absolute best of what comics have to offer in the GN poll. See my post above for what they are.

Why not have someone else pick the choices next?

#288 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (3748 posts) -

[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

Laihendi

The Electric Tale of Pikachu is a great story about friendship and love.

I actually read EToP.

Makes me think pokemon anime would be decent if it was darker.

#289 Posted by dave123321 (33617 posts) -
Let me select the choices for the comic round. People can offer nominations
#290 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (3748 posts) -

[QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]

You like ayn rand. Therefore for every opinion you have on books, the opposite is true.

bullet proof reasoning.

That is not reasoning at all. Reason is the faculty that identifies and integrates the material provided by man's senses. Ayn Rand's entire philosophy is based on reason.

my entire philosophy is based on reason.

therefore ayn rand is worse than Hitler.

#291 Posted by Laihendi (5800 posts) -

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]

[QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]You like ayn rand. Therefore for every opinion you have on books, the opposite is true.

bullet proof reasoning.

MakeMeaSammitch

That is not reasoning at all. Reason is the faculty that identifies and integrates the material provided by man's senses. Ayn Rand's entire philosophy is based on reason.

my entire philosophy is based on reason.

therefore ayn rand is worse than Hitler.

Please tell me what is unreasonable about a man living for his own sake. Please tell me what is unreasonable about laissez-faire capitalism.
#292 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -
Let me select the choices for the comic round. People can offer nominationsdave123321
I am probably the most comic-versed on this board though. I will take nominations for the final 2 spots. Watchmen, V, and We3 are staying though.
#293 Posted by Aljosa23 (24605 posts) -

[QUOTE="dave123321"]Let me select the choices for the comic round. People can offer nominationsMithrandir50
I am probably the most comic-versed on this board though. I will take nominations for the final 2 spots. Watchmen, V, and We3 are staying though.

This book club will flop if its just you picking the books.

#294 Posted by Laihendi (5800 posts) -
[QUOTE="dave123321"]Let me select the choices for the comic round. People can offer nominationsMithrandir50

I strongly urge you to include The Electric Tale of Pikachu.
#295 Posted by dave123321 (33617 posts) -

[QUOTE="Mithrandir50"][QUOTE="dave123321"]Let me select the choices for the comic round. People can offer nominationsAljosa23

mhm
#296 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -

[QUOTE="Mithrandir50"][QUOTE="dave123321"]Let me select the choices for the comic round. People can offer nominationsAljosa23

... But it's not. 2/5 of the books in the polls were not my choices. Again, if something I pick is reviled by many, I will change it. I am working with you guys.
#297 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -
[QUOTE="Mithrandir50"][QUOTE="dave123321"]Let me select the choices for the comic round. People can offer nominationsLaihendi

No
#298 Posted by Laihendi (5800 posts) -
[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

[QUOTE="Mithrandir50"] I am probably the most comic-versed on this board though. I will take nominations for the final 2 spots. Watchmen, V, and We3 are staying though. dave123321

mhm

I am in agreement with this.
#299 Posted by Laihendi (5800 posts) -
[QUOTE="Mithrandir50"][QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="Mithrandir50"] I am probably the most comic-versed on this board though. I will take nominations for the final 2 spots. Watchmen, V, and We3 are staying though.

No

You are being ignorant.
#300 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -

Give me some real recommendations, guys. 

So far we have Maus and Pikachu.  Maus is fantastic.  Pikachu... is not.