The OT Book Club! American Gods wins! ROUND 2 (COMICS) VOTING! READ OP

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#151 Posted by DroidPhysX (17089 posts) -
[QUOTE="dave123321"]Tc want you guys to know that he is attending a chess tournament today and tomorrow. During his absence, I am in charge of the club. As of this time Of Mice and Men is leading with 16 out of 40 votes.Laihendi
I recommend a run-off between the 2 books with the most votes if Of Mice and Men does not exceed 50% of the vote.

This isn't a French presidential election.
#152 Posted by dave123321 (34152 posts) -
[QUOTE="dave123321"]Tc want you guys to know that he is attending a chess tournament today and tomorrow. During his absence, I am in charge of the club. As of this time Of Mice and Men is leading with 16 out of 40 votes.Laihendi
I recommend a run-off between the 2 books with the most votes if Of Mice and Men does not exceed 50% of the vote.

TC will have to decide on that.
#153 Posted by InEMplease (6343 posts) -

[QUOTE="InEMplease"]

Vote for American Gods.

I dare you.

chessmaster1989

Dear InEM, Please cease and desist with the use of threatening Clint Eastwood images. Such activity is the exclusive right of chessmaster1989. Sincerely, chessmaster1989 [spoiler] Do ya feel lucky punk? :P [/spoiler]

Don't shoot!  :o

\nn/

#155 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -

To start things off, I want to thank Dave for being active in the thread and making discussion questions.  I'll propose one of my own in a sec.

That being said, I think that I will have the vote go to between American Gods and Of Mice and Men.  Will update it right after this.  If the people supporting the other books have a preference between the two, I think we should allow them to change their vote.

Here is a question of my own: Would you take on the financial and emotional burden of a mentally challenged companion?  

I'd like to say that I would, but I really can't be sure.  That is a huge committment.

#156 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -
[QUOTE="dave123321"]Some discussion questions prior to getting started on the book. These are geared to of mice and men. How do you define the American dream? How does society treat and deal with the mentally handicap? Do you find the idea of being your own boss the ultimate realization of the American dream? Explore the idea of loneliness and how it can develop in relationships between people. These are to be considered jumping off points for discussion prior to reading. So the discussion of these questions will start now.

I describe the American dream as reward through hard work. I think that society both coddles and ridicules the handicapped. I think being my own boss is not so much the American Dream as having a job and supporting your family is. When people are lonely, they get desperate, and when they're desperate, they're more open to things. Perhaps this is why George took Lennie in.
#157 Posted by dave123321 (34152 posts) -
Really enjoyed Gravity's Rainbow as evidenced by my sig and avy
#160 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -

[QUOTE="Laihendi"] I have only expressed here a small portion of the ideas to be presented in my book, so you are just being ignorant.chrisrooR

Everything you've posted on these forums has been repulsive. You're everything I hope my (possible future) children don't become.

This is not the place for this argument
#161 Posted by Laihendi (5828 posts) -

[QUOTE="Laihendi"] I have only expressed here a small portion of the ideas to be presented in my book, so you are just being ignorant.chrisrooR

Everything you've posted on these forums has been repulsive. You're everything I hope my (possible future) children don't become.

All I ever wanted was a friend. All I ever wanted was an equal to interact with in mutual respect and admiration. Someone who recognized my accomplishments and praised me for them. Just leave me alone.
#162 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -
[QUOTE="chrisrooR"]

[QUOTE="Laihendi"] I have only expressed here a small portion of the ideas to be presented in my book, so you are just being ignorant.Laihendi

All I ever wanted was a friend. All I ever wanted was an equal to interact with in mutual respect and admiration. Someone who recognized my accomplishments and praised me for them. Just leave me alone.

Lai, don't worry about him. Some are too petty to look past political differences and just appreciate human life.
#163 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -

American Gods holding an early lead

*munches on popcorn*

#164 Posted by InEMplease (6343 posts) -

Well fudge, that's the last time I answer questions prematurely in a Book Club thread.

*munches nachos*

#165 Posted by Laihendi (5828 posts) -
I voted for Of Mice and Men.
#166 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -

Of Mice and Men will not go down without a fight!

3-2 AG lead

#167 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -

4-4

NAILBITER

#168 Posted by rocinante_ (1666 posts) -

voted for of mice and men because it's a "classic" i've never read before. plus, that era is interesting to me

#169 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -

OF MICE AND MEN TAKES THE LEAD

OH, JOHN, WHAT A GLORIOUS DAY FOR BOOK CLUBBERS EVERYWHERE.  

#170 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -

voted for of mice and men because it's a "classic" i've never read before. plus, that era is interesting to me

rocinante_
It is a great book. American Gods is a modern classic though. Many memorable lines
#171 Posted by InEMplease (6343 posts) -

Vote for American Gods.

I dare you.

#172 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -

Vote for American Gods.

I dare you.

InEMplease
I. Just. Did.
#173 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -

Sadly the contest seems to be becoming a wipe out... hoping for a last minute AG surge to make things more interesting.

#174 Posted by rocinante_ (1666 posts) -

[QUOTE="rocinante_"]

Mithrandir50

It is a great book. American Gods is a modern classic though. Many memorable lines

ya, i wouldn't mind reading either tbh

we should have gaiman's sandman in the run for when we do graphic novels. i've heard great things about that too, and it sound very meta, which i love

#175 Posted by InEMplease (6343 posts) -

[QUOTE="InEMplease"]

Vote for American Gods.

I dare you.

Mithrandir50

I. Just. Did.

You're dead and you don't even know it.

#176 Posted by Laihendi (5828 posts) -

Sadly the contest seems to be becoming a wipe out... hoping for a last minute AG surge to make things more interesting.

Mithrandir50
How long will the poll be open?
#177 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29394 posts) -

Vote for American Gods.

I dare you.

InEMplease
Dear InEM, Please cease and desist with the use of threatening Clint Eastwood images. Such activity is the exclusive right of chessmaster1989. Sincerely, chessmaster1989 [spoiler] Do ya feel lucky punk? :P [/spoiler]
#178 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -

[QUOTE="Mithrandir50"][QUOTE="rocinante_"]

rocinante_

we should have gaiman's sandman in the run for when we do graphic novels. i've heard great things about that too, and it sound very meta, which i love

Glorious! I am reading them right now, beautiful stuff. Don't know if we could keep people's interest though. Would cost a lot of money to keep up with the series, if they can't rent them from a library. Right I'm thinking Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Dark Knight Returns, We3, All Star Superman. Maybe tomorrow night I'll close it Lai.
#179 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -

AG is creeping up... 

#180 Posted by Laihendi (5828 posts) -
I would like to remind voters that American Gods is about 6 times longer than Of Mice and Men and is therefore a serious time commitment. Of Mice and Men has a film dramatization starring Gary Sinise, who is an excellent actor. It is available on Netflix streaming. You probably already have a copy of Of Mice and Men from high school, whereas you will have to spend money if you want a copy of American Gods. Please keep these things in mind.
#181 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29394 posts) -

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"][QUOTE="InEMplease"]

Vote for American Gods.

I dare you.

InEMplease

Not feeling lucky? :P
#182 Posted by rocinante_ (1666 posts) -

[QUOTE="rocinante_"]

[QUOTE="Mithrandir50"] It is a great book. American Gods is a modern classic though. Many memorable linesMithrandir50

Glorious! I am reading them right now, beautiful stuff. Don't know if we could keep people's interest though. Would cost a lot of money to keep up with the series, if they can't rent them from a library. Right I'm thinking Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Dark Knight Returns, We3, All Star Superman. Maybe tomorrow night I'll close it Lai.

all great choices, especially for people who are new to graphic novels.

i haven't read we3, but i was actually planning to pick it up soon, so if it's an option i'm definitely voting for it (though i'm sure it won't win)

#183 Posted by InEMplease (6343 posts) -

[QUOTE="InEMplease"]

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"] Dear InEM, Please cease and desist with the use of threatening Clint Eastwood images. Such activity is the exclusive right of chessmaster1989. Sincerely, chessmaster1989 [spoiler] Do ya feel lucky punk? :P [/spoiler] chessmaster1989

Not feeling lucky? :P

If it wasn't for bad luck I would have no luck at all.

#184 Posted by dave123321 (34152 posts) -
7 to 9 Of mice and men A nail biter!!!!!
#185 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -

[QUOTE="Mithrandir50"][QUOTE="rocinante_"]

rocinante_

all great choices, especially for people who are new to graphic novels.

i haven't read we3, but i was actually planning to pick it up soon, so if it's an option i'm definitely voting for it (though i'm sure it won't win)

We3 is a very emotional story, lots to discuss about it. Not that much material though, which is unfortunate.
#186 Posted by dave123321 (34152 posts) -
I would like to remind voters that American Gods is about 6 times longer than Of Mice and Men and is therefore a serious time commitment. Of Mice and Men has a film dramatization starring Gary Sinise, who is an excellent actor. It is available on Netflix streaming. You probably already have a copy of Of Mice and Men from high school, whereas you will have to spend money if you want a copy of American Gods. Please keep these things in mind.Laihendi
Money well spent
#187 Posted by rocinante_ (1666 posts) -

7 to 9 Of mice and men A nail biter!!!!!dave123321

quick! someone create a bunch of alts to seal the deal! or just go on yours, dave

#188 Posted by Aljosa23 (25135 posts) -

John Steinbeck is one of the greatest American writers ever.

#189 Posted by dave123321 (34152 posts) -
someone tell pirate that I will miss him
#190 Posted by dave123321 (34152 posts) -
Tied!!!!
#191 Posted by Laihendi (5828 posts) -
Supporters of books that lost in the previous round are supporting American Gods because they are jealous of Steinback's success. I urge voters to pick the book they want, rather than to vote out of spite for losing to Of Mice and Men in the last round.
#192 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -

Holy F*cking shit American Gods ties it!

COMEBACK OF THE CENTURY

#193 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -
Supporters of books that lost in the previous round are supporting American Gods because they are jealous of Steinback's success. I urge voters to pick the book they want, rather than to vote out of spite for losing to Of Mice and Men in the last round.Laihendi
I don't think anyone is taking this personally, and to echo Dave, the $10.34 it costs on Amazon is money well spent.
#194 Posted by Laihendi (5828 posts) -
[QUOTE="Laihendi"]Supporters of books that lost in the previous round are supporting American Gods because they are jealous of Steinback's success. I urge voters to pick the book they want, rather than to vote out of spite for losing to Of Mice and Men in the last round.Mithrandir50
I don't think anyone is taking this personally, and to echo Dave, the $10.34 it costs on Amazon is money well spent.

Of Mice and Men had a comfortable win in the last round. People are forgetting that it was actually the underdog that managed an inspiring win after lingering at a distant 3rd place early on. American Gods is by no means the underdog and people should not be supporting it for some kind of romantic narrative. I strongly urge people to vote for Of Mice and Men, which is an established classic.
#195 Posted by Zlurodirom (736 posts) -

American Gods was one of the few books I started but did not finish. I had something like 24 pages left and stopped reading. I don't remember why I never just sat down and finished, but now I think it might be a little to late. On that note, my recollection is that it was a pretty good book.

Surprisingly I never had to read Mice and Men in high school (or grapes of wrath and catcher in the rye, which are all popular reading books for high school I think).

#196 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -
[QUOTE="Mithrandir50"][QUOTE="Laihendi"]Supporters of books that lost in the previous round are supporting American Gods because they are jealous of Steinback's success. I urge voters to pick the book they want, rather than to vote out of spite for losing to Of Mice and Men in the last round.Laihendi

Of Mice and Men had a comfortable win in the last round. People are forgetting that it was actually the underdog that managed an inspiring win after lingering at a distant 3rd place early on. American Gods is by no means the underdog and people should not be supporting it for some kind of romantic narrative. I strongly urge people to vote for Of Mice and Men, which is an established classic.

Of mice and Men was the only book you had read, Lai. You are biased
#197 Posted by WolfattheDoor34 (3278 posts) -
[QUOTE="Mithrandir50"][QUOTE="Laihendi"]Supporters of books that lost in the previous round are supporting American Gods because they are jealous of Steinback's success. I urge voters to pick the book they want, rather than to vote out of spite for losing to Of Mice and Men in the last round.Laihendi

how do you people like this guy? he's awful about literally everything
#198 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -
[QUOTE="WolfattheDoor34"][QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="Mithrandir50"] I don't think anyone is taking this personally, and to echo Dave, the $10.34 it costs on Amazon is money well spent.

Please keep those kind of comments to yourself. They are thoroughly unproductive and rude.
#199 Posted by dave123321 (34152 posts) -
[QUOTE="WolfattheDoor34"][QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="Mithrandir50"] I don't think anyone is taking this personally, and to echo Dave, the $10.34 it costs on Amazon is money well spent.

Lai is great
#200 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -

AG RECLAIMS THE LEAD HOLY FU*KING SHIT

I SHOULD BE RESTING FOR MY TOURNEY TOMORROW BUT F*CK IT THIS IS JUST TOO GOOD