The OT Book Club! American Gods wins! ROUND 2 (COMICS) VOTING! READ OP

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -

DISCLAIMER: CHECK THE PRICES FOR THE BOOKS ON AMAZON.  FOR COMICS, THEY ARE THE BEST BET.  IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN BUYING ALL OF THESE EXCELLENT SUGGESTIONS, CHECK OUT INSTOCKTRADES.COM, IF THE ORDER IS OVER 50 DOLLARS THEY HAVE FREE SHIPPING.   KEEP IN MIND THAT THE THEIF OF THIEVES OPTION IS 2 RELATIVELY THIN VOLUMES.  MAY THE BEST BOOK WIN! 

First of all, I want to give all credit for this idea to the wonderful King Kong.  He decided not to make this thread, but hopefully this one lives up to his idea.  

Basically, we are going to read a book!  After the voting on the book, I will allow perhaps 3-4 days for the people signed up to get the book.  Depending on how many pages there are in the book, we will read a certain sum each day and discuss them.  Naturally there will be spoilers, so don't read the new posts if you are behind on your reading!

The goal of this project is to help OT become better read, and unite over friendly discussion of a book.  There will be predictions, disagreements and some quality discussions about each reading. 

I have selected 5 good books of different genres.  I have personally read all of them and can vouch for their quality.  Voting will be closed on Monday evening. 

Not all of the choices are super literate or anything, it won't take a genius to understand these.  Well, Siddhartha is kind of deep.

READING SCHEDULE:

WE BEGIN AMERICAN GODS ON MAY 15, PERHAPS A FEW DAYS LATER.  THE DECISION TO RESCHEDULE WAS MADE SO MORE PARTICIPANTS COULD TAKE PART.

American Gods- 624 pages

Try to find it at a library near you, or shell out the 8 bucks for the MMP at your local Barnes and Noble.  Or go with Amazon, they're always reliable.

COMMITTEE:

MITHRANDIR: PRESIDENT

DAVE: VICE PRESIDENT

KONG: CHAIRMAN

IF YOU WANT A POSITION AND RESPONSIBILITY, TELL ME.  I WILL CONSIDER ALL APPLICANTS.

#2 Posted by kingkong0124 (8710 posts) -

Worlock, + respect for joining in.

You're trying way too hard.

airshocker

you should join man :D
#3 Posted by kingkong0124 (8710 posts) -

thanks for doing this man. sign me up

#4 Posted by rocinante_ (1666 posts) -

this is a neat idea. i'm not sure if i'll be able to keep up all the time, but i'm down

#5 Posted by dave123321 (34134 posts) -
put page numbers rather then just long or short.
#6 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -
put page numbers rather then just long or short.dave123321
done Brb guys eating dinner
#7 Posted by dave123321 (34134 posts) -
Would a 968 page book be too much?
#8 Posted by kingkong0124 (8710 posts) -
Would a 968 page book be too much?dave123321
Possibly. It has to be a damn good book then - it needs to keep people's attention
#9 Posted by 4myAmuzumament (1750 posts) -
hmmm... interesting. maybe i could join when my semester is over. :)
#10 Posted by WolfattheDoor34 (3278 posts) -
if the organizer of your book club claims The Da Vinci Code is a good book, then you're in a shitty book club
#11 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

if the organizer of your book club claims The Da Vinci Code is a good book, then you're in a shitty book clubWolfattheDoor34

#12 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -
Would a 968 page book be too much?dave123321
Which book? Size has no indication as to the quality of the book.
#13 Posted by kingkong0124 (8710 posts) -

[QUOTE="WolfattheDoor34"]if the organizer of your book club claims The Da Vinci Code is a good book, then you're in a shitty book clubworlock77

just vote for something else then, no big deal. Worlock please join. You enjoy reading right? Do it in the name of "unification"
#14 Posted by dave123321 (34134 posts) -
[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="WolfattheDoor34"]if the organizer of your book club claims The Da Vinci Code is a good book, then you're in a shitty book clubkingkong0124

just vote for something else then, no big deal. Worlock please join. You enjoy reading right? Do it in the name of "unification"

2nd this
#15 Posted by dave123321 (34134 posts) -
[QUOTE="dave123321"]Would a 968 page book be too much?Mithrandir50

http://www.amazon.com/Moment-Sun-John-Sayles/dp/1936365588
#16 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -

The Da Vinci Code is a popular book.  It didn't get popular for being hated.  It became popular because it was intriguing.  I never claimed it's a literary masterpiece, I said it was a good read.  Is Call of Duty an amazing game?  No.  Is it a fundamentally sound and somewhat addictive game?  Yes.  It's not blowing minds, that's not it's purpose.  Same with Da Vinci Code.  

If you really don't like it, vote for something else.  Right now American Gods is winning and if you don't like AG then you are a turtle

#17 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -
[QUOTE="Mithrandir50"][QUOTE="dave123321"]Would a 968 page book be too much?dave123321

It seems interesting enough, Dave. I can't say that that era is one that particularly interests me, at all, but I would read it if the club voted for it. Given all of the controversy surrounding Da Vinci Code, I would change it to that if I could. Really wish I could edit polls!
#18 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="WolfattheDoor34"]if the organizer of your book club claims The Da Vinci Code is a good book, then you're in a shitty book clubkingkong0124

Ok, I vote for 'American Gods' then.

#19 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -

[QUOTE="kingkong0124"][QUOTE="worlock77"]

worlock77

Ok, I vote for 'American Gods' then.

You're signed up
#20 Posted by airshocker (29876 posts) -

#21 Posted by rocinante_ (1666 posts) -

i voted for american gods

#22 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -

airshocker
Trying to make a book club is what I'm doing. You sir, are trying too hard to troll. Please join or leave, I have no wish to argue.
#23 Posted by rocinante_ (1666 posts) -

so how many pages are we gonna assign to read in a given period? i was thinking 100 pages a week would be good

#24 Posted by dave123321 (34134 posts) -
[QUOTE="airshocker"]

Mithrandir50
Trying to make a book club is what I'm doing. You sir, are trying too hard to troll. Please join or leave, I have no wish to argue.

Pretty much this
#25 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -

so how many pages are we gonna assign to read in a given period? i was thinking 100 pages a week would be good

rocinante_
I was thinking maybe 30 pages every 2 days or so. Nothing more than 20-30 minutes day. But after the voting is done we can come together and decide. I want the casual readers to join this too, don't want it to feel like homework!
#26 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -
Have you read any of the books in the poll, Dave?
#27 Posted by Aljosa23 (25121 posts) -

Naw.

edit: Maybe if someone else is involved selecting books.

#28 Posted by Mithrandir50 (829 posts) -

Looks like American Gods is winning

#29 Posted by InEMplease (6342 posts) -

The first book should have been a Playboy.  We can totally talk about Ms. March.  :D

#30 Posted by Tokeism (2334 posts) -
Sign me up, I voted for American gods, I've heard good things about it.
#31 Posted by tenaka2 (17040 posts) -

The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown- Mystery

Mithrandir50

Your thread had potential until I saw this....

#32 Posted by dave123321 (34134 posts) -
[QUOTE="Mithrandir50"][QUOTE="dave123321"][QUOTE="Mithrandir50"] Which book? Size has no indication as to the quality of the book.

It seems interesting enough, Dave. I can't say that that era is one that particularly interests me, at all, but I would read it if the club voted for it. Given all of the controversy surrounding Da Vinci Code, I would change it to that if I could. Really wish I could edit polls!

Sadly can only delete polls and make another one.
#33 Posted by Opi0us (189 posts) -
I havent heard of any of those books.
#34 Posted by Wolf-Man2006 (4187 posts) -

Lunar Park by Bret Easton Ellis.. READ IT

#35 Posted by Kats_RK (2080 posts) -

Sign me up and i vote for american gods.

#36 Posted by AcidThunder (2332 posts) -
would have surely joined the previous year but with the things as they are now, i don't think i would be able to for another 2 years. i hope i have some free time in May...
#38 Posted by Laihendi (5828 posts) -
I will join the club, but I will not let someone else decide what books I read.
#39 Posted by Aljosa23 (25121 posts) -

I will join the club, but I will not let someone else decide what books I read.Laihendi
The whole point of a book club is to read the same book and discuss it.

#40 Posted by dave123321 (34134 posts) -

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]I will join the club, but I will not let someone else decide what books I read.Aljosa23

yeah, Lai. Don't be a hardheaded fool
#41 Posted by Blueresident87 (5339 posts) -

This is a great idea, sign me up for sure.

#42 Posted by Laihendi (5828 posts) -

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]I will join the club, but I will not let someone else decide what books I read.Aljosa23

I can give lectures on books that I have read, without spoiling key plot details.
#43 Posted by Aljosa23 (25121 posts) -

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]I will join the club, but I will not let someone else decide what books I read.Laihendi

I can give lectures on books that I have read, without spoiling key plot details.

What books?

#44 Posted by -Sun_Tzu- (17384 posts) -

[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="Aljosa23"]The whole point of a book club is to read the same book and discuss it.

Aljosa23

What books?

Atlas Shrugged, The Fountainhead, LOTR, Atlas Shrugged
#45 Posted by Laihendi (5828 posts) -

[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="Aljosa23"]The whole point of a book club is to read the same book and discuss it.

Aljosa23

What books?

Atlas Shrugged, The Fountainhead, The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, The Silmarillion, ASOIAF. I have read a variety of other books as well but I am not going to try to list all of them. I could give good lectures on any of those listed books.
#46 Posted by Laihendi (5828 posts) -
[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]I can give lectures on books that I have read, without spoiling key plot details.-Sun_Tzu-

What books?

Atlas Shrugged, The Fountainhead, LOTR, Atlas Shrugged

I am impressed by your intuition.
#47 Posted by kingkong0124 (8710 posts) -

thanks to all who joined.

-Sun_Tzu-

Please join this.

#48 Posted by dave123321 (34134 posts) -
Maybe sun isn't so bad a guy after all
#49 Posted by Aljosa23 (25121 posts) -

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]I can give lectures on books that I have read, without spoiling key plot details.Laihendi

What books?

Atlas Shrugged, The Fountainhead, The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, The Silmarillion, ASOIAF. I have read a variety of other books as well but I am not going to try to list all of them. I could give good lectures on any of those listed books.

Haha yeah I was expecting you to say those. Still, if the book they choose is interesting enough I'd join and you should too.

#50 Posted by DroidPhysX (17089 posts) -
I didn't think this idea was serious.