The minimum wage needs to increase to $20 an hour

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#351 Posted by ChelGirl86 (89 posts) -
[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="ChelGirl86"][QUOTE="Laihendi"] Please explain how raising minimum wage to $12/hour would be good if raising to $20/hour would be bad.

Baby steps, everything in moderation, etc. Giving people a decent amount more would allow people to spend more without letting companies raise prices like mad. $20 an hour minimum wage, you're looking at markets suddenly flooded with too much demand and not enough product.

Baby steps towards what? Are you implying that you eventually want to raise the minimum wage even more? Wouldn't gradually increasing minimum wage just gradually increase prices/inflation/unemployment?

Not if you do it slowly and carefully. You raise a little, and you can take steps to insure that markets remain healthy by tweeking here and there. Baby steps towards a better quality of life for americans in general
#352 Posted by Slayer_of_Bugs (123 posts) -

[QUOTE="Slayer_of_Bugs"][QUOTE="ChelGirl86"]That's fine.WhiteKnight77

Pics or it didn't happen.

girl gamer

lol
#353 Posted by Laihendi (5834 posts) -

[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="ChelGirl86"]Baby steps, everything in moderation, etc. Giving people a decent amount more would allow people to spend more without letting companies raise prices like mad. $20 an hour minimum wage, you're looking at markets suddenly flooded with too much demand and not enough product.ChelGirl86
Baby steps towards what? Are you implying that you eventually want to raise the minimum wage even more? Wouldn't gradually increasing minimum wage just gradually increase prices/inflation/unemployment?

Not if you do it slowly and carefully. You raise a little, and you can take steps to insure that markets remain healthy by tweeking here and there. Baby steps towards a better quality of life for americans in general

Please explain how raising minimum wage quickly causes unemployment/inflation, but raising it slowly does not.

#354 Posted by ChelGirl86 (89 posts) -
For the record, I use WASD.
#355 Posted by ChelGirl86 (89 posts) -
[QUOTE="Laihendi"] Please explain how raising inflation quickly causes unemployment/inflation, but raising it slowly does not.

What's easier? Stopping a snowball while it's at the top of a hill and has barely collected any snow, or stopping a massive one that can roll over cars?
#356 Posted by WhiteKnight77 (12017 posts) -

Please explain how raising inflation quickly causes unemployment/inflation, but raising it slowly does not.Laihendi

Inflation will happen either way. There is a ceiling for minimum wage and when that is hit, several things will happen, companies stop hiring to keep costs down or layoffs happen to help keep costs down. Now that does not mean we are at that ceiling now, but market forces say we are close to it as we do not see prices raising due to wage increases though we are seeing price increases due to other market variables such as transportation costs.

#357 Posted by WhiteKnight77 (12017 posts) -

For the record, I use WASD.ChelGirl86

I was giving him what he wanted, wasn't trying to imply you didn't use WASD.

#358 Posted by ChelGirl86 (89 posts) -

[QUOTE="ChelGirl86"]For the record, I use WASD.WhiteKnight77

I was giving him what he wanted, wasn't trying to imply you didn't use WASD.

Oh haha, I see.
#359 Posted by Slayer_of_Bugs (123 posts) -
Omg that's hot. You're turning me on.
#360 Posted by edgewalker16 (2284 posts) -

A statement made by someone who has no clue how an economy is supposed to function--or someone who's never had a job.

#361 Posted by Slayer_of_Bugs (123 posts) -

A statement made by someone who has no clue how an economy is supposed to function--or someone who's never had a job.

edgewalker16
lol are you talking about Vuurk?
#362 Posted by Laihendi (5834 posts) -
[QUOTE="ChelGirl86"][QUOTE="Laihendi"] Please explain how raising inflation quickly causes unemployment/inflation, but raising it slowly does not.

What's easier? Stopping a snowball while it's at the top of a hill and has barely collected any snow, or stopping a massive one that can roll over cars?

How is minimum wage comparable to a snowball?
#363 Posted by Slayer_of_Bugs (123 posts) -
[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="ChelGirl86"][QUOTE="Laihendi"] Please explain how raising inflation quickly causes unemployment/inflation, but raising it slowly does not.

How is minimum wage comparable to a snowball?

LOL. gotta love analogies.
#364 Posted by Slayer_of_Bugs (123 posts) -
Those car destroying snow balls.
#365 Posted by WhiteKnight77 (12017 posts) -

Those car destroying snow balls. Slayer_of_Bugs

You haven't seen that commercial yet? The guy rolls a snowball down the hill to make a parking spot for his car. Of course snowballs destroy cars and take them with them.

#366 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

I don't believe you.

#367 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (7933 posts) -
$20 bucks seems outlandish, however $7.25 seems pretty impossible to live on even as a single adult.
#368 Posted by pie-junior (2866 posts) -

Man, I wish I went to a fancy university with 19th century architecture and stone walls :(

Maybe when I got to law school

BossPerson
MCGILL! sorry for the bump, bored at work