The minimum wage needs to increase to $20 an hour

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by Vuurk (6258 posts) -
[QUOTE="Vuurk"]This will help the economy and also everyone would be able to afford living expenses and health care and a lot of people would no longer need governed assistance. Everyone benefits.mingmao3046
I agree man. You know whats wrong with society today? People arent payed based on their actual worth. Take a garbage man for example. He isn't paid nearly as much as a CEO who just sits around and doesn't actually do anything. Physical labor jobs are actually harder than being CEO of a mega company. Without people like the garbage man, or the janitor, society would be a very dirty place to live in. But we don't need a CEO in society. We really need to level the playing field, and start paying people based on their worth :)

Exactly
#52 Posted by BossPerson (9433 posts) -

did you fail your exams?

switching to a B.A in European history?

joining the local Marxist club?

#53 Posted by lloveLamp (2890 posts) -
yes, lets make it illegal for anyone with an economic value of less than 20 bucks an hour to work
#54 Posted by Vuurk (6258 posts) -

[QUOTE="Vuurk"]You heard of the Econ talk podcast? coolbeans90

The EconTalk podcast on biases caused me to reconsider a lot of things a few years back, ironically, in opposition to a more hardline libertarian stance. Solid talk show, though.

Details? I love Russ Roberts
#55 Posted by WhiteKnight77 (12018 posts) -

While it would put many people out of work, it would close down fast food joints as well as many other places of business like grocery stores, video game stores (like GameStop/EB Games) and all sorts of other unnecessary businesses. Americans would have to grow their own foods to survive though they would still not be able to afford health care unless there is taxpayer paid for health care, but then that puts an undue burden on the remaining few who are working. The number of cars on the roads will decrease and less housing would be needed as people will not be able to afford a place to live, tent cities or tin shacks ala Mexico City will abound.

Brilliant really.:|

#56 Posted by Vuurk (6258 posts) -
[QUOTE="Vuurk"][QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]Vuurk have you suffered a mental breakdown or something?chessmaster1989
Yo did you have Steven levitt as a prof?

Yeah I did, what makes you ask though? o_O

Please elaborate on levitt. What was class like with him? Which class was it? At u of Chicago?
#57 Posted by Vuurk (6258 posts) -
Roughly 22% of OT posters are genius
#58 Posted by Vuurk (6258 posts) -

[QUOTE="Vuurk"][QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

The EconTalk podcast on biases caused me to reconsider a lot of things a few years back, ironically, in opposition to a more hardline libertarian stance. Solid talk show, though.

coolbeans90

Details? I love Russ Roberts

He's p. cool. Was into the podcast well before the Boom and Bust vids.

It shook me up a bit, which doesn't ever happen. Listen to it. It covers, in essence, how we arrive to conclusions and how that doesn't always work.

I realized that I had a pretty strong bias towards the libertarian position on p. much errything and had a tendency towards creating and accepting justifications/argumentation/data collecting/analyses that worked towards my predispositions - basically the stuff he talked about.

Was he directing it toward the libertarian perspective or just predispositions and bias in general? There is a recent Econ talk podcast on healthcare and big pharmacy. I can't wait to listen to it.
#59 Posted by DroidPhysX (17089 posts) -
This is just sad. Even for a person like vuurk.
#60 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
I agree. The government should force more regulations on the economy and businesses in order to help them. We all need to think of a higher moral purpose for society, rather than just greed. Everyone needs equal opportunity to succeed and share in society's benefits.
#61 Posted by dave123321 (33751 posts) -
[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]This is just sad. Even for a person like vuurk.

I think he is trying really hard to control his anger so he doesn't quit gamespot again
#62 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29099 posts) -

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"][QUOTE="Vuurk"] Yo did you have Steven levitt as a prof?Vuurk
Yeah I did, what makes you ask though? o_O

Please elaborate on levitt. What was class like with him? Which class was it? At u of Chicago?

Economics of Crime at UChicago. His class was really fun, basically he just went through a lot of different aspects of crime (with one of the motivating factors being the sharp rises and declines in crime in the past few decades). Nothing in too great detail he went more for covering a lot of topics at a not-too-quick pace, so the class wasn't all that rigorous, but it was fun.

#63 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29099 posts) -
Also what is this Econ Talk podcast you guys are talking about?
#64 Posted by Abbeten (2803 posts) -

Also what is this Econ Talk podcast you guys are talking about?chessmaster1989
This

#65 Posted by Vuurk (6258 posts) -
[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]This is just sad. Even for a person like vuurk.

What is said about it? The 1% are making millions of dollars a year. Is it too much to ask to increase the minimum wage above sustainace levels? We could raise taxes on the ultra wealthy and use that revenue to pay for a minimum wage increase subsidized by the government.
#66 Posted by Vuurk (6258 posts) -

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]Also what is this Econ Talk podcast you guys are talking about?Abbeten

This

You listen to it abbeten?
#67 Posted by kingkong0124 (8710 posts) -

Economics of Crime at UChicago. His class was really fun, basically he just went through a lot of different aspects of crime (with one of the motivating factors being the sharp rises and declines in crime in the past few decades). Nothing in too great detail he went more for covering a lot of topics at a not-too-quick pace, so the class wasn't all that rigorous, but it was fun.

chessmaster1989

UChicago? No offense bro but I'm quite surprised.

#68 Posted by DroidPhysX (17089 posts) -
[QUOTE="Vuurk"][QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]This is just sad. Even for a person like vuurk.

What is said about it? The 1% are making millions of dollars a year. Is it too much to ask to increase the minimum wage above sustainace levels? We could raise taxes on the ultra wealthy and use that revenue to pay for a minimum wage increase subsidized by the government.

Still. Trying. Too. Hard.
#69 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29099 posts) -

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

kingkong0124

Why?
#70 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29099 posts) -

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]Also what is this Econ Talk podcast you guys are talking about?Abbeten

This

Thanks will have to check it out. Any ones you guys recommend?
#71 Posted by Abbeten (2803 posts) -
now and then
#72 Posted by Vuurk (6258 posts) -

[QUOTE="Vuurk"][QUOTE="chessmaster1989"] Yeah I did, what makes you ask though? o_Ochessmaster1989

That's awesome. How big was the class? Did you have an opportunity to have any one on one conversations with him? You're very lucky to be going to the u if Chicago to study economics. I'm jealous. Are you originally from Illinois?
#73 Posted by Slow_Show (2153 posts) -

What is said about it? The 1% are making millions of dollars a year. Is it too much to ask to increase the minimum wage above sustainace levels? We could raise taxes on the ultra wealthy and use that revenue to pay for a minimum wage increase subsidized by the government.Vuurk

I know this is supposed to be satire or trolling or whatever, but it's actually not an awful idea if you did it as a tax on retained earnings instead of personal income.

#74 Posted by kingkong0124 (8710 posts) -

[QUOTE="kingkong0124"]

chessmaster1989

Why?

I didn't think you had the intellectual capability to get accepted into a school like that. One of my cousins goes there and she's extremely gifted.

#75 Posted by Vuurk (6258 posts) -
[QUOTE="Abbeten"]

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]Also what is this Econ Talk podcast you guys are talking about?chessmaster1989

This

Yeah I highly recommend it. I can't think of any specific one to recommend off the top of my head but know that some are better than the others depending on the quality of the guest. I'd recommend just picking a few that cover topics that interest you.
#76 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29099 posts) -

[QUOTE="Vuurk"] Please elaborate on levitt. What was class like with him? Which class was it? At u of Chicago?Vuurk

That's awesome. How big was the class? Did you have an opportunity to have any one on one conversations with him? You're very lucky to be going to the u if Chicago to study economics. I'm jealous. Are you originally from Illinois?

~100 people. Never talked with him really besides a couple times I asked questions after class. I never really went to office hours in college, which I do kind of regret now. Only professors I got to know well were the professor I researched for, an econ professor I took four classes from, and one of my math professors.

Also I graduated in June so I'm out of Chicago now. Originally from California.

#77 Posted by Vuurk (6258 posts) -

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"][QUOTE="Abbeten"] This

coolbeans90

The one with Milton Friedman regarding money got me hooked on it initially some years back. Taleb/Black Swan episode was cool too iirc.

God damn it's been a while.

Yeah the one with Milton Friedman is awesome.
#78 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29099 posts) -

iirc chess has graduated

am jelly of his alma mater

coolbeans90
You should transfer to Chicago and switch your major to econ. :P
#79 Posted by Abbeten (2803 posts) -

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"][QUOTE="kingkong0124"]

kingkong0124

Why?

I didn't think you had the intellectual capability to get accepted into a school like that. One of my cousins goes there and she's extremely gifted.

ahahahaha oh my god this is glouriously dickish
#80 Posted by Abbeten (2803 posts) -
i heard u of chicago is turrible for undergrads
#81 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29099 posts) -

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"][QUOTE="kingkong0124"]

kingkong0124

Why?

:(
#82 Posted by kingkong0124 (8710 posts) -

[QUOTE="kingkong0124"]

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"] Why?Abbeten

i'm messing with him, lol. he calls me dumb all the time too. but knowing my cousin, this guy is very smart/talented.

#83 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29099 posts) -

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"][QUOTE="coolbeans90"] You should transfer to Chicago and switch your major to econ. :Pcoolbeans90

prob would if i could

Give it a try worst that could happen is they say no.
i heard u of chicago is turrible for undergradsAbbeten
I really liked it. It's reputation isn't really accurate.
#84 Posted by Vuurk (6258 posts) -

[QUOTE="Vuurk"][QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

chessmaster1989

~100 people. Never talked with him really besides a couple times I asked questions after class. I never really went to office hours in college, which I do kind of regret now. Only professors I got to know well were the professor I researched for, an econ professor I took four classes from, and one of my math professors.

Yeah you should've taken advantage of being at such an economic powerhouse of an institution. I would love the chance to ask some of those professors questions. What're you doing now since graduating?
#85 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29099 posts) -

[QUOTE="Abbeten"][QUOTE="kingkong0124"]

kingkong0124

i'm messing with him, lol. he calls me dumb all the time too.

<3 you kk please never leave OT

<3 in a bro kind of way not in a gay kind of way

#86 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29099 posts) -

[QUOTE="Vuurk"] That's awesome. How big was the class? Did you have an opportunity to have any one on one conversations with him? You're very lucky to be going to the u if Chicago to study economics. I'm jealous. Are you originally from Illinois?Vuurk

Yeah you should've taken advantage of being at such an economic powerhouse of an institution. I would love the chance to ask some of those professors questions. What're you doing now since graduating?

Working for a group of four Harvard, Stanford, and Yale profs in preparation for grad school. Trying to figure out what I want to study in grad school. Leaning towards either IO or finance atm although that doesn't mean much since two months ago I would have told you I was leaning towards doing macro and four months ago I would have said auction theory.

#87 Posted by kingkong0124 (8710 posts) -

chessmaster1989

brofist.jpg

#88 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29099 posts) -

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]Give it a try worst that could happen is they say no.coolbeans90

Even if I hadn't done a few dumb things that would make it difficult for me to get in for a little bit ('til transcript goes back to being a pretty honors student's, at least) money is definitely an issue. THERE COULD ALWAYS BE GRAD SCHOOL OR SOMETHING, THO!

Yeah I'm really grateful my parents could pay to put me through UChicago.

If you want to do grad econ just take tons of math and that's good enough. :P

#89 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29099 posts) -
I can't see your image kk. :(
#90 Posted by Vuurk (6258 posts) -

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]Give it a try worst that could happen is they say no.coolbeans90

Even if I hadn't done a few dumb things that would make it difficult for me to get in for a little bit ('til transcript goes back to being a pretty honors student's, at least) money is definitely an issue. THERE COULD ALWAYS BE GRAD SCHOOL OR SOMETHING, THO!

Ya I haven't looked at the costs of attending u of Chicago as an undergrad but I'm not sure that I'd be worth it for me. I don't think the much higher cost of attending there would be offset by the value of a u of chicago Degree as opposed to my institution But who knows. I'd go there for grad school in a heartbeat if I qualified tho
#91 Posted by Vuurk (6258 posts) -

[QUOTE="Vuurk"][QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

chessmaster1989

Working for a group of four Harvard, Stanford, and Yale profs in preparation for grad school. Trying to figure out what I want to study in grad school. Leaning towards either IO or finance atm although that doesn't mean much since two months ago I would have told you I was leaning towards doing macro and four months ago I would have said auction theory.

Ahh I see. Well goodluck in whatever you choose to pursue.
#92 Posted by Abbeten (2803 posts) -
I can't see your image kk. :(chessmaster1989
from my expert analysis of the file name, i hypothesize that he may be extending some sort of electronic gesture of 'bro-hood'