The Militarization of U.S Police Shown by Ferguson Violence

This topic is locked from further discussion.

seahorse123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By seahorse123
Member since 2012 • 1237 Posts

The intensive militarization of America’s police forces is a serious menace about which a small number of people have been loudly warning for years, with little attention or traction. In a 2007 paper on “the blurring distinctions between the police and military institutions and between war and law enforcement,” the criminal justice professor Peter Kraska defined “police militarization” as “the process whereby civilian police increasingly draw from, and pattern themselves around, the tenets of militarism and the military model.”

http://www.infowars.com/the-militarization-of-u-s-police-finally-dragged-into-the-light-by-the-horrors-of-ferguson/

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

So when are the JDAM's gonna hit?

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

You lose credibility by linking to Alex Jones which could had easily be avoided in this case by linking directly to Grennwald's piece.

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/08/14/militarization-u-s-police-dragged-light-horrors-ferguson/

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts
@Master_Live said:

You lose credibility by linking to Alex Jones which could had easily be avoided in this case by linking directly to Grennwald's piece.

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/08/14/militarization-u-s-police-dragged-light-horrors-ferguson/

He lost all credibility of being human the day he was conceived.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

And yes, the militarization of the police is a worrying development.

seahorse123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 seahorse123
Member since 2012 • 1237 Posts

@Master_Live: I don't care about your opinion on Alex Jones. Please don't talk about it every time I post a thread with a link to Infowars.com as it is not important to the topic.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#7 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

LOL Alex Jones.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

@seahorse123 said:

@Master_Live: I don't care about your opinion on Alex Jones. Please don't talk about it every time I post a thread with a link to Infowars.com as it is not important to the topic.

Um, it is INCREDIBLY important to the topic. When trying to discuss something, posting a link to a very bias and often criticized individual diminishes the credibility of that topic no matter its validity. If you ACTUALLY cared about the topic you'd listen to Master and post a link to the original article, instead of one that better supports your personal views.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38676 Posts

@Master_Live said:

good thing they're getting mine resistant vehicles as well.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/09/us/war-gear-flows-to-police-departments.html

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

You think this is news? The police have been killing innocent people for decades and internally covering it all up. Unarmed anti-war protestors were getting killed in the 1960's.

Citizens in the US have long past the point of having a means of counteracting this. After September 11th, 2001, and the signing of those bills that give the US government the means to arrest people without cause and hold them indefinitely without charge pretty much kills any chance of the police ever losing that power. In combination with the privacy-breaking surveillance, and the growing acceptance of privacy being unlawfully infringed, the US is ripe for an insurrection that sees well-armed militias fighting against police and military forces (and the police and government likely winning in most cases, because they have legal access to fully automatic weapons and explosives).

It's not a matter of if, but when. The US government is infringing on it's very own Constitution all the time, and the majority of Americans are bending over and accepting it with smiles on their faces. The Founding Fathers would be ashamed to see what their country has become. Their entire purpose of forming the United States was to escape the tyranny of the British monarchy.

I'm no conspiracy theorist, because it's all pretty damn clear out in the open.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

@foxhound_fox: Your average servicemember and police officer isn't going to blindly follow orders to mow down crowds of protestors in a government-sanctioned cleansing of people who aren't on Obama's side. Especially when some of their own family members and friends will be in those crowds. In case you want to bring up the protesters who were shot by the National Guardsmen in the 60s, that was a small isolated incident and doesn't even come close to killing thousands of protesters.

What I said doesn't mean that they won't defend themselves against armed hostile militias trying to overthrow Washington but it's common sense for them to shoot back when they are being shot at.

xscrapzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 xscrapzx
Member since 2007 • 6636 Posts

Personally, I don't sit here and not question why the police have access to such equipment, but at the same token I sit back and look at how much the media is such a shit stirrer in a lot of this nonsense.

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

Alex Jones has been right on a lot of topics regardless of what some folks think of him personally. I would presume he's right on more topics than the mainstream "approved" news sources. He's just another source for news, he's not always wrong or always right.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#14 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58900 Posts

Personally I think this is a load of shit from people wanting to jump the gun. Hating authority figures is romanticized and people absolutely love that shit.

It's everywhere, ****, you see it even here on the forums practically every day with people tarring moderators.

Load of pish.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Personally I think this is a load of shit from people wanting to jump the gun. Hating authority figures is romanticized and people absolutely love that shit.

It's everywhere, ****, you see it even here on the forums practically every day with people tarring moderators.

Load of pish.

Ugh, what is a "load of shit"? The "militarization" of many police forces across the country is fact.

leif3141

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By leif3141
Member since 2010 • 133 Posts

Have you ever thought as to why this is the case? Citizenry has access to increasingly powerful weapons, it would make sense that the police might need better weapons to protect themselves. I'm not defending police brutality/misconduct, but we certainly have our share of crazies "mowing down" innocent people as of late. The founding father's didn't conceive of the current predicament of modern society. Back then, a rifle wasn't exactly a high powered weapon compared to what we have now. What did they get, like 1 shot per minute? And of course, if one doesn't want to use guns, they can use bombs! As far as these militia groups "rising up" against our government...lol. Give me a break. Most of the American citizenry can't be bothered to walk an extra 100 feet to get in a store nowadays. An armed revolution is never going to happen. What might happen is a revamping of our current laws hopefully in some instances. I'd rather not have packs of militamen and government forces battling outside my window.

leif3141

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 leif3141
Member since 2010 • 133 Posts

This ferguson case is such a load of baloney. They already rioted and attacked store owners and looted. If I were the leader there, at that point, all protests would have been suspended and "martial law" already declared. The "protestors" crossed a line when they resorted to lawlessness. Had they attacked police headquarters and tried to loot and riot, then so be it, since that is who their anger is supposedly directed at. I don't get mad about my being wronged in daily life and punch a guy walking down the street who had nothing to do it with. I don't care how angry they are, no excuses.