uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

Arnold Schwarzenegger will be back for a Conan The Barbarian sequel, just as soon as he finishes his commitments to Terminator Genisys.

That was one of many pieces of news dropped by The Legend Of Conan producer and co-writer Chris Morgan in an interview with TheArnoldFans.com on Sunday.

Chris also explained how the upcoming movie would stay true to the 'brutal' tone of the original 1982 film.

'Our tone is a logical extension of the character established in the '82 film,' Chris explained.

'When we meet him again, Conan has been many things over the course of his life - a thief, a warrior, a pirate, a king, a legend - and is now an older man.'

'Think Unforgiven... with a sword-wielding barbarian,' the writer teased.

That sword-wielding barbarian will be played once more by Arnold, the now-67-year-old actor who first found fame in the title role of Conan.

In addition to the movie's star, Chris hinted that at least three members of the 1982 cast would be seen once more in Legend Of Conan.

Along with keeping to the tone of Conan The Barbarian, the new movie will not follow either 1984's Conan The Destroyer or 2011's Jason Momoa-led remake.

The Legend Of Conan will instead directly follow Conan The Barbarian as a sequel, bypassing the stories set out in the other movies.

'[John] Milius was a visionary,' Chris said of the original film's co-writer and director.

'The goal, the dream, is to live up to his world. To make it worthy and to expand on it in a truthful way that audiences will embrace,' he said.

Following in these footsteps will mean a 'pretty brutal' movie in which 'it's about the fastest and most effective way of disposing of your enemy.'

'In my opinion, Conan is beloved because of his political incorrectness. He doesn't think, he just acts,' Chris told his interviewers.

'People can relate to the freshness of somebody who doesn't give a damn about civilisation - in fact, despises it.'

Based on 1930s-era stories by Robert E. Howard, Conan The Barbarian made more than $100 million in its initial release and help create Arnold as a star.

The pre-historic world of Conan was filled with savagery as the titular character sought revenge against Thulsa Doom (James Earl Jones), the leader of a snake cult who killed his parents.

Although The Legend Of Conan was first announced in 2012, production has been delayed, partially due to Arnold's busy schedule.

In his interview, Chris mentioned that he hoped to begin filming in the fall of 2015, after Arnold finished with publicity for his Terminator Genisys.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

lol, I shall watch it (on Amazon Instant Video or Netflix).

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 0

#4 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

I enjoyed Conan more than Terminator anyway so I might actually watch it, but like Bran said, I'll watch it at home.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#5 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56094 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Arnold Schwarzenegger will be back for a Conan The Barbarian sequel, just as soon as he finishes his commitments to Terminator Genisys.

That was one of many pieces of news dropped by The Legend Of Conan producer and co-writer Chris Morgan in an interview with TheArnoldFans.com on Sunday.

Chris also explained how the upcoming movie would stay true to the 'brutal' tone of the original 1982 film.

'Our tone is a logical extension of the character established in the '82 film,' Chris explained.

'When we meet him again, Conan has been many things over the course of his life - a thief, a warrior, a pirate, a king, a legend - and is now an older man.'

'Think Unforgiven... with a sword-wielding barbarian,' the writer teased.

That sword-wielding barbarian will be played once more by Arnold, the now-67-year-old actor who first found fame in the title role of Conan.

In addition to the movie's star, Chris hinted that at least three members of the 1982 cast would be seen once more in Legend Of Conan.

Along with keeping to the tone of Conan The Barbarian, the new movie will not follow either 1984's Conan The Destroyer or 2011's Jason Momoa-led remake.

The Legend Of Conan will instead directly follow Conan The Barbarian as a sequel, bypassing the stories set out in the other movies.

'[John] Milius was a visionary,' Chris said of the original film's co-writer and director.

'The goal, the dream, is to live up to his world. To make it worthy and to expand on it in a truthful way that audiences will embrace,' he said.

Following in these footsteps will mean a 'pretty brutal' movie in which 'it's about the fastest and most effective way of disposing of your enemy.'

'In my opinion, Conan is beloved because of his political incorrectness. He doesn't think, he just acts,' Chris told his interviewers.

'People can relate to the freshness of somebody who doesn't give a damn about civilisation - in fact, despises it.'

Based on 1930s-era stories by Robert E. Howard, Conan The Barbarian made more than $100 million in its initial release and help create Arnold as a star.

The pre-historic world of Conan was filled with savagery as the titular character sought revenge against Thulsa Doom (James Earl Jones), the leader of a snake cult who killed his parents.

Although The Legend Of Conan was first announced in 2012, production has been delayed, partially due to Arnold's busy schedule.

In his interview, Chris mentioned that he hoped to begin filming in the fall of 2015, after Arnold finished with publicity for his Terminator Genisys.

Yeah, why ignore Destroyer? Was there something there that warrants a retcon? Although, I guess you could ignore it and it could still be canon, simply because it was a singular story of one of Conan's countless adventures. From what I remember it didn't have any story elements that would necessarily impact any other movies in the series. This is good news that Arnold is back and that Momoa Conan movie sucked ass.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By -God-
Member since 2004 • 3627 Posts

Maybe they'll pull a Mad Max?

Who am i kidding, it's going to suck like Indy4, the last two Die-Hards, the last few Terminators, or the Prequels.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

My mind is blown. This sounds like an April Fools joke or something.

silkylove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 silkylove
Member since 2002 • 8579 Posts

I detect a foul odor. Last time I smelled this was when Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was announced.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By -God-
Member since 2004 • 3627 Posts

@magicalclick said:

@-God-:

But they are not Arnold movies.

Terminator 3. And most of Arnold's comeback movies after Governer have sucked or been average at best.

I hope its a miracle like Max, but it's just doubtful.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By uninspiredcup

@magicalclick said:

Got to see Hollywood magic turning him younger.

At the end of the original Conan Mako had an epilogue of him as an old king. Originally it was suppose to be a series of movies leading up to that point.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By uninspiredcup

@-God- said:

Who am i kidding, it's going to suck like Indy4, the last two Die-Hards, the last few Terminators, or the Prequels.

Well, much like Mad Max the original movie had an very simple plot with very little dialogue. It was mostly visual, with Basil Poledouris awesome music doing the rest. It also had a distinct lack of special effects. Aside from the snake scenes, the death scene and the witch, which are very brief, it's pretty much all sets.

The main problem I see is less Arnold and more an obligation to use CGI, as well as studios pressuring them to reduce the violence/sexual content. If they stick to a simple story, very little dialogue and a great music score, it could be great.

It's kinda like the polar opposite of Lord Of The Rings/Hobbit, which have people talking complete bollocks for minutes at time, with plastic looking swords and PS4 environments.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Honestly Jason Momoa was far closer to Howard's Conan than Arnie in appearance and actual character. Which is a freaking shame because the movie he starred in was absolutely awful. They really need to go the Dredd story route in dropping the audience smack into the middle of the adventure, most of Howard's stories for Kane and Conan are basically this with some use of exposition... Now a days Hollywood is obsessed with creating a god damn LOTR epic... Which neither Conan or Solomon Kane are really about. This Conan is going to be as crappy as this upcoming Terminator movie.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-59d151f079814

@uninspiredcup said:
@-God- said:

Well, much like Mad Max the original movie had an very simple plot with very little dialogue. It was mostly visual, with Basil Poledouris awesome music doing the rest. It also had a distinct lack of special effects. Aside from the snake scenes, the death scene and the witch, which are very brief, it's pretty much all sets.

The main problem I see is less Arnold and more an obligation to use CGI, as well as studios pressuring them to reduce the violence/sexual content. If they stick to a simple story, very little dialogue and a great music score, it could be great.

It's kinda like the polar opposite of Lord Of The Rings/Hobbit, which have people talking complete bollocks for minutes at time, with plastic looking swords and PS4 environments.

I am going to be more irked about the fact that they are probably going to turn Conan into a good guy.. Which he isn't, he is very much like Mad Max in which he does a multitude of things that makes him neither good nor bad.

-Blasphemy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 -Blasphemy-
Member since 2005 • 3369 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@magicalclick said:

At the end of the original Conan Mako had an epilogue of him as an old king. Originally it was suppose to be a series of movies leading up to that point.

yeah i always wished they had continued with the third movie

they just dont make movies like they used to so i doubt this will be any good.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#16 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Please be good.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

Wow, all these 80's movies coming back. Next thing you know there will be a new Ferris Bueller movie, lol .. or License to drive remake. The 80's rule when it comes to movies. This Conan movie in particular was huge, and one of my favorites as a kid. I did watch it recently, and compared to today's standards it disappoints in certain aspects. Can you just imagine a new " Willow " movie, with up to date technology, wooh ! Cheers to reliving my younger years in new technology movie graphics !! Woop, Woop !!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814

@-Blasphemy- said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@magicalclick said:

yeah i always wished they had continued with the third movie

they just dont make movies like they used to so i doubt this will be any good.

After how bad Conan the Destroyer was, yeah it was a good idea not to make a third movie..