The Home State thread - pics of your home state with favorite landmarks

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Kevlar101 (5977 posts) -
Ok, so, post pics of your favorite landmarks and cities and places in your home state, and even add some info and how you came to love these places. No, this is not an advertisement, more of sharing your "home land" in all its glory. I am posting about Tennessee. My home state. We are not rednecks..... not all of us. Yes, there is a lot of redneck territory out here, there is a whole ton of wilderness, but its not all like that. There are a lot of big cities, with actual civilized people living there. Most people, when they think of Tennessee, they immediately think of this:   And yeah, we do have those people here...... but, there is a lot more here too. We have the AT&T tower in Nashville, we have on one of the best Universities in the USA, which is the University of Tennessee (UT) in Knoxville, and we have Chattanooga, which is just one big landmark. We have the Smoky Mountains in the East, and the lowlands in the West. Let me show you the beauty of Tennessee First, let me show you that Tennessee is not just a big, country filled redneck state. There are civilized cities. Like so, with our great capital of Nashville in Mid-state. Nashville is know for being Music City.  Then, we have our king city (and second capital), of Knoxville, located in the East, right along the Smokey Mountains. Knoxville is known for its great Sub Sandwiches:  Then, we have our 3rd great city of Memphis, located in the South-west corner of the state. Memphis is known for its BBQ:  Now, we also have Chattanooga in the South, which is a big tourist attraction, for many of its landmarks, such as Ruby Falls, Rock City, the 7 State Stare, the Georgia Aquarium, and more.  And hey, just as a BONUS town, here is my home town of Clarksville, known as the Gateway to the South:  Now, there is a lot of natural beauty. Tennessee is also known for its wilderness, such as the Smoky Mountains in the East:   And, lets not forget the lowlands in the west:  So, don't be hesitant to give Tennessee a visit..... there's more to it than you might think. I have 2 questions: Has your home state ever been viewed in a negative way? And, how is TNs legal system outdated? Now, you are free.
#2 Posted by mrmusicman247 (17567 posts) -
ok
#3 Posted by Yusuke420 (2793 posts) -

There are plenty of places in Tennessee that are cool, but just like Texas, that doesn't mean that their political values are in order with modern times. 

#4 Posted by chessmaster1989 (28973 posts) -
No for the most part TN kind of sucks.
#5 Posted by Kevlar101 (5977 posts) -
Ok guys, topic changed :P
#6 Posted by Kevlar101 (5977 posts) -
No for the most part TN kind of sucks.chessmaster1989
You should explain why
#7 Posted by Pirate700 (46462 posts) -

Take a wild guess. :P

14er3_PikesPeak_ExpCOSp_PR.jpg

colorado-springs.jpg

091202.Durango.train.jpg

#8 Posted by Kevlar101 (5977 posts) -

colorado-springs.jpg

091202.Durango.train.jpg

Pirate700
Given its mixture of rocky terrain and pines, i'm gonna say.... either Wyoming, or Utah
#9 Posted by DaBrainz (7610 posts) -
Hey TC I like visiting Tennessee but I wouldn't want to live there. That aquarium in Chattanooga is the best I've ever seen. One time I was on I-75 driving through the mountains and I had to pull over and take a wizz. It was absolutely deserted and the bugs were incredibly loud. Felt like I was in a slasher movie.
#10 Posted by Pirate700 (46462 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

colorado-springs.jpg

091202.Durango.train.jpg

Kevlar101

Given its mixture of rocky terrain and pines, i'm gonna say.... either Wyoming, or Utah

Close but no.

#11 Posted by Kevlar101 (5977 posts) -

[QUOTE="Kevlar101"][QUOTE="Pirate700"]

colorado-springs.jpg

091202.Durango.train.jpg

Pirate700

Close but no.

Idaho?
#13 Posted by Nuck81 (5786 posts) -

This thread requires effort, so I'll just post one pic.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0osX52oSgrnLCiMVAlNv

#14 Posted by jim_shorts (7320 posts) -

There are plenty of places in Tennessee that are cool, but just like Texas, that doesn't mean that their political values are in order with modern times. 

Yusuke420
It seems like every time I see you on this forum you're judging other people by beliefs they may or may not have.
#15 Posted by Pirate700 (46462 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="Kevlar101"] Given its mixture of rocky terrain and pines, i'm gonna say.... either Wyoming, or UtahKevlar101

Close but no.

Idaho?

lol, no. Colorado.

#16 Posted by organic_machine (9682 posts) -

Pirate700

Colorado!

EDIT: Ugh, why did you answer?! I would have gotten it! Too late! :cry:

#17 Posted by jim_shorts (7320 posts) -

The ever active city of Fayetteville, Arkansas.  Believe it or not, there's a pretty sweet night life around here. [spoiler] dicksonstreet.jpg [/spoiler]

#18 Posted by CommanderShiro (21746 posts) -

Pirate700

Colorado

#19 Posted by Maniacc1 (5354 posts) -

Take a wild guess. :PPirate700

It's Colorado ;) TC, I used to live in Knoxville. It wasn't a bad place at all. A lot of childhood memories there.

#20 Posted by Pirate700 (46462 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

organic_machine

Colorado!

EDIT: Ugh, why did you answer?! I would have gotten it! Too late! :cry:

Sorry. :(

#21 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

Illinois:

grain-bin-in-a-central-illinois-corn-fie

#22 Posted by Kevlar101 (5977 posts) -
[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

Take a wild guess. :PManiacc1

It's Colorado ;) TC, I used to live in Knoxville. It wasn't a bad place at all. A lot of childhood memories there.

I love Knoxville :)
#23 Posted by NoAssKicker47 (2842 posts) -

Do I have to live in the US? ):

#24 Posted by comp_atkins (31109 posts) -

Kevlar101
   full of wigs?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSxWUGwpRR9PMb6mZfaID5

#25 Posted by Kevlar101 (5977 posts) -

[QUOTE="Kevlar101"]  comp_atkins

full of wigs?

what?
#26 Posted by WiiCubeM1 (4727 posts) -

Pennsylvania. Even though I was born in the same city as Joe Namath, I don't live there anymore.

If I were to go local, I only have one thing to post:

vC8Y5Wf.jpg

That's the most interesting thing around here for 50+ miles in any direction.

Well, other than where I went to college:

AEqhhYv.jpg

#27 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

More Illinois:

field-of-corn-in-illinois-il773.jpg

3109900271_2428cb5bb0_z.jpg?zz=1

Obama_Superman.jpg

#28 Posted by WiiCubeM1 (4727 posts) -

[QUOTE="comp_atkins"]

[QUOTE="Kevlar101"]  Kevlar101

full of wigs?

what?

Simpsons joke.

The Sunsphere was being used to store wigs.

#29 Posted by tagyhag (15867 posts) -

[spoiler] 1 [/spoiler]  

Hnnngggg

#30 Posted by comp_atkins (31109 posts) -

[QUOTE="comp_atkins"]

[QUOTE="Kevlar101"]  Kevlar101

full of wigs?

what?

disappointed.jpg

#31 Posted by Pirate700 (46462 posts) -

[QUOTE="Kevlar101"][QUOTE="comp_atkins"]   full of wigs?

comp_atkins

what?

disappointed.jpg

He must be too young to remember when Simpsons was amazing.

#32 Posted by DaJuicyMan (3393 posts) -
Hey TC I like visiting Tennessee but I wouldn't want to live there. That aquarium in Chattanooga is the best I've ever seen. One time I was on I-75 driving through the mountains and I had to pull over and take a wizz. It was absolutely deserted and the bugs were incredibly loud. Felt like I was in a slasher movie.DaBrainz
lol
#33 Posted by DaJuicyMan (3393 posts) -

I live in Jersey. There is nothing nice/picture worthy here.

#34 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

I live in Jersey. There is nothing nice/picture worthy here.

DaJuicyMan

Sure there is.

#35 Posted by CHOASXIII (14628 posts) -

Here- 

Nothing else to show. 

#36 Posted by -RocBoys9489- (6154 posts) -
Took it myself!
#37 Posted by jim_shorts (7320 posts) -
[QUOTE="-RocBoys9489-"]Took it myself!

So that's what it looks like to have a good basketball team. I'm having a rough season here.
#38 Posted by -RocBoys9489- (6154 posts) -

[QUOTE="-RocBoys9489-"]Took it myself! jim_shorts
So that's what it looks like to have a good basketball team. I'm having a rough season here.

I'm a freshman this year; you would not believe how loud Assembly Hall gets during big games (that was vs Michigan State). I got student section tomorrow vs. Michigan! A memory I hope I'll never forget, may be the best game I ever get to go to if the hype is met.

What team/school you at?

#39 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

things to do in new hampshire:

be cold

<3 downtown

we used to have a rock that looked like an ugly man's face, but it fell off a mountain.

#40 Posted by jim_shorts (7320 posts) -

[QUOTE="jim_shorts"][QUOTE="-RocBoys9489-"]Took it myself! -RocBoys9489-

I'm a freshman this year; you would not believe how loud Assembly Hall gets during big games (that was vs Michigan State). I got student section tomorrow vs. Michigan! A memory I hope I'll never forget, may be the best game I ever get to go to if the hype is met.

What team/school you at?

Arkansas Razorbacks. We're actually pretty good at home, but we are the worst road team on the planet. Razorback basketball used to mean something, but it's just been hard to watch at times lately.
#41 Posted by -RocBoys9489- (6154 posts) -
[QUOTE="-RocBoys9489-"]

[QUOTE="jim_shorts"]So that's what it looks like to have a good basketball team. I'm having a rough season here.jim_shorts

What team/school you at?

Arkansas Razorbacks. We're actually pretty good at home, but we are the worst road team on the planet. Razorback basketball used to mean something, but it's just been hard to watch at times lately.

As long as you're home games are good, then it's all good. After all, all that matters in the end is making the final four/ winning the tourney come March! IU isn't hot on the road either, minus this season hahaha, nothin like beatin ur rivals ***** by 37 points!
#42 Posted by IdioticIcarus (2242 posts) -

idahosignlookoutpass.jpg

Shoshone-Falls-2.jpg\

craters-of-the-moon-national.jpg

bruneau_dunes_002.jpg

baldyreflect.jpg

BogusBasinSkiHill_ChadCase.jpg

But mostly this:

10-8-Dairy-Cows.jpg

As much as I don't like living here, it is pretty beautiful traveling through it.

#43 Posted by zenogandia (912 posts) -

%2528Puerto+Rico%2529+%25E2%2580%2593+El

culebra-2.jpg

attachment1.jpg

El_Yunque_Rainforest_Puerto_Rico.jpg

Plaza_Delicias.jpg

#44 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12686 posts) -

TennesseeKevlar101

Your forgot the Secret City. It wasn't even allowed on the map or open to the general public until 1949.

nvu0i0.jpg

f04w00.jpg

20suj47.jpg

k19rer.jpg

2btoyc.gif

6pvpll.jpg

14mfn8l.jpg

"LOL we physicsed ur face off."

#45 Posted by chrisrooR (9026 posts) -
^^Was that some sort of nuclear test site/assembly location?
#46 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

^^Was that some sort of nuclear test site/assembly location?chrisrooR

Yep. They assembled the atomic bombs dropped on Japan there. One of my next door neighbors that I lived by as a kid had worked there back then.

#47 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12686 posts) -

^^Was that some sort of nuclear test site/assembly location?chrisrooR

Oak Ridge didn't exist until The Manhattan Project. The government bought all the land (it was then called Brair Community) and kicked everyone out, and built a whole town around three nuclear processing sites: X-10 (defunct), K-25 (now ORNL), and Y-12. Even people the next town over didn't know what was going on, a common complaint at the time of the war was "everything goes in there, nothing comes out."

After the war, Oak Ridge continued making nuclear material until the end of the cold war (we have fallout shelters everywhere, and when I was in school in the 80's we still had fallout drills. They STILL test the city-wide sirens every Wednesday). The government still owns most of Oak Ridge, but now ORNL is involved in all kinds of physics research, while Y-12 maintains the nations nuclear arsenal.

The largest cache of weapons-grade uranium in the world is in Oak Ridge.

#48 Posted by Kevlar101 (5977 posts) -

[QUOTE="chrisrooR"]^^Was that some sort of nuclear test site/assembly location?br0kenrabbit

Oak Ridge didn't exist until The Manhattan Project. The government bought all the land (it was then called Brair Community) and kicked everyone out, and built a whole town around three nuclear processing sites: X-10 (defunct), K-25 (now ORNL), and Y-12. Even people the next town over didn't know what was going on, a common complaint at the time of the war was "everything goes in there, nothing comes out."

After the war, Oak Ridge continued making nuclear material until the end of the cold war (we have fallout shelters everywhere, and when I was in school in the 80's we still had fallout drills. They STILL test the city-wide sirens every Wednesday). The government still owns most of Oak Ridge, but now ORNL is involved in all kinds of physics research, while Y-12 maintains the nations nuclear arsenal.

The largest cache of nuclear-grade uranium in the world is in Oak Ridge.

oh fvck
#49 Posted by soulless4now (41346 posts) -

Disneyland-Resort.jpg

My love. <3

#50 Posted by k2theswiss (16598 posts) -

cincinnati where pigs fly

tumblr_m9q8j4gDyV1qlxe8jo1_500.jpgpig3-72.jpg

2094602-Flying_Pig_Cincinnati.jpg7467846908_18d35d84c2_z.jpg36fff5fa35b2d40a93e135f6d29dcd51.JPG

7835492052_6171410654_z.jpg

p159166-Cincinnati-Cincinnati_Flying_Pig