The Hobbit...are you going to see it?

• 175 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts

@dodgerblue13 - I'd just like to point out that the appearance of the eagles was well explained in the book. They still functioned as a deus ex machina then, but they were at least a believable one. In the movie they just show up, pick everyone up, fly away, and drop them off without a word of explanation.

Also having Radagast discover the Necromancer was silly. The white council was well aware of his presence in the books (and had been for over a thousand years in fact), as they should have been considering they were supposed to be the most knowledgeable and wise protectors of middle earth. By the time of The Hobbit they had even known he was Sauron. The way they were depicted in the movie made those characters seem like they had no idea what they were doing.

And in the book Gandalf got the key and the map from Thrain who was prisoner in the dungeons of Dol Guldur and had gone insane, whereas in the movie Thrain just happened to give that stuff to Gandalf for no particular reason. In the books, the istari came to middle earth for the explicit purpose of countering Sauron. However in the movies, apparently Gandalf, Saruman, and their friends have no particular purpose in middle earth and have been screwing around for thousands of years with no idea that Sauron still exists.

I guess you're right that the movie would seem less disappointing when not compared to the book or the LOTR films, but if something like this had just been a standalone film that wasn't related to those other works I would not even consider watching it a second time.

@sune_gem - To be honest I don't see any reason to expect the next two movies to be better.

True_Chaos_UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152 True_Chaos_UK
Member since 2010 • 2570 Posts

Saw it today excellent fim, really enjoyed it although I am a fan of LotR and Tolkien. Anyways for me there where no pacing problems, or boring scenes as critics have stated.

I would say If you enjoyed Fellowship of the Ring then you will like this too.

brucewayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 brucewayne69
Member since 2012 • 2864 Posts

@dodgerblue13 - I'd just like to point out that the appearance of the eagles was well explained in the book. They still functioned as a deus ex machina then, but they were at least a believable one. In the movie they just show up, pick everyone up, fly away, and drop them off without a word of explanation.

Also having Radagast discover the Necromancer was silly. The white council was well aware of his presence in the books (and had been for over a thousand years in fact), as they should have been considering they were supposed to be the most knowledgeable and wise protectors of middle earth. By the time of The Hobbit they had even known he was Sauron. The way they were depicted in the movie made those characters seem like they had no idea what they were doing.

And in the book Gandalf got the key and the map from Thrain who was prisoner in the dungeons of Dol Guldur and had gone insane, whereas in the movie Thrain just happened to give that stuff to Gandalf for no particular reason. In the books, the istari came to middle earth for the explicit purpose of countering Sauron. However in the movies, apparently Gandalf, Saruman, and their friends have no particular purpose in middle earth and have been screwing around for thousands of years with no idea that Sauron still exists.

I guess you're right that the movie would seem less disappointing when not compared to the book or the LOTR films, but if something like this had just been a standalone film that wasn't related to those other works I would not even consider watching it a second time.

@sune_gem - To be honest I don't see any reason to expect the next two movies to be better.

Laihendi
Hmm. False! They knew of his existence, but Gandalf was the one to figure out that the Necromancer was Sauron in the middle of the Hobbit. When he left them after Beorn's house, he went to Dol Goldur. I suspect much of the next movie will have to do with his battle with the Necromancer. Read the appendices in ROTK. And there are many reasons to expect more from the next two movies. The content will quite simply be much better. We have the whole deal with Mirkwood, Beorn (!), the battle of the five armies, the whole deal with Smaug, Gandalf's battle with the Necromancer, and more! They'll be excellent!
muffincakes87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 muffincakes87
Member since 2008 • 3913 Posts

For the people who saw it, does the making of The Hobbit into a trilogy jusitified? Does the film have too much filler just to make it into three parts. Are you intrested in seeing the two more films? Does the pacing seem right considering it's into three parts.

I haven't seen it yet but I'm curious.

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#155 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

For the people who saw it, does the making of The Hobbit into a trilogy jusitified? Does the film have too much filler just to make it into three parts. Are you intrested in seeing the two more films? Does the pacing seem right considering it's into three parts.

I haven't seen it yet but I'm curious.

muffincakes87

Whether or not it is justified doesn't really matter. Whether or not they manage to entertain and be good movies is what matters. The Unexpected Journey is very satisfying. Why bother attempting to judge the next two before they are released? Unexpected Journey doesn't have as much filler as many critics have exaggerted. Rather, the scenes that are not really filler just occasionally drag on a bit, but not terribly so. Yes, I am eager to see the next two parts.

The LotR movies dragged on in parts too. The difference is that some parts of the much longer novel was cut out. Whereas the shorter story The Hobbit has not had to cut out much. And remember that much of the "filler" material is actual material from the LotR appendices. It's not just stuff that PJ made up.

TonyDanzaFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 TonyDanzaFan
Member since 2010 • 2973 Posts
No, it looks horrible.
dodgerblue13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 dodgerblue13
Member since 2004 • 20846 Posts
Laihendi
******Spoilers****** True, but we saw Gandalf whisper to the butterfly; the Eagles didn't just wander by on accident. And you don't know if the second movie will explain the involvement of the Eagles or not, so it's unfair to rule it out already. To delve into how and why Gandalf had the key would require further explanation in the film. That means a longer run time; same for the Eagles. Tolkien's world is too detailed to include every aspect in a film that is intended for a common audience. And you're clearly overlooking Gandalf in the trilogy if you think he's surprised that Sauron is returning. It's just that....over that time span and after all that pipeweed, he is less mindful. Honestly, same goes for Radagast. Without any trouble from Sauron, they've been having their fun. Same with Saruman, only his fun is plotting how to reign over Middle-earth. If you don't want to view the movies that way, then there's nothing I can do to change your mind. I agree that a lot is omitted, but I posit that too much exists in Tolkien's universe to succinctly and satisfactorily include every detail in these movies, movies which are based on (not necessarily representative of) Tolkien's work.
SamusFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 SamusFreak
Member since 2004 • 1932 Posts

I saw it last night, thought it looked good, it was better. It was fantastic. Easily my favorite movie so far when compared to the Lord of the Rings. They did a real good job capturing the essence of not only the Novel it's named for, but the overall world of Middle Earth. I just Hope Peter Jackson can hold true wth the next two. The other movies are good, even with all the content missing from them. Which is understandable, I hope he doesn't change anything major with it, especially with the big battle at the end. Changes he made to Minas Tirath really irked me.

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 Laihendi

Hmm. False! They knew of his existence, but Gandalf was the one to figure out that the Necromancer was Sauron in the middle of the Hobbit. When he left them after Beorn's house, he went to Dol Goldur. I suspect much of the next movie will have to do with his battle with the Necromancer. Read the appendices in ROTK. And there are many reasons to expect more from the next two movies. The content will quite simply be much better. We have the whole deal with Mirkwood, Beorn (!), the battle of the five armies, the whole deal with Smaug, Gandalf's battle with the Necromancer, and more! They'll be excellent!brucewayne69
Allow me to direct you to appendix B of Lord of the Rings

2060 - The power of Dol Guldur grows. The Wise fear that it may be Sauron taking shape again.

2063 - Gandalf goes to Dol Guldur. Sauron retreats and hides in the East.

2460 - Sauron returns with increased strength to Dol Guldur.

2463 - The White Council is formed.

2850 - Gandalf again enters Dol Guldur, and discovers that its master is indeed Sauron, who is gathering all the Rings and seeking for news of the One, and of Isildur's heir.

2851 - The White Council meets. Gandalf urges an attack on Dol Guldur. Saruman overrules him. Saruman begins to search near the Gladden Fields (for the ring).

2939 - Saruman discovers that Sauron's servants are searching the Anduin near the Gladden Fields, and that Sauron therefore learned of Isildur's end. He is alarmed but says nothing to the Council.

2941 - Thorin Oakenshield and Gandalf visit Bilbo in the Shire. Bilbo meets Smeagol-Gollum and finds the Ring. The White Council meets; Saruman agrees to an attack on Dol Guldur, since he now wishes to prevent Sauron from searching the River. Sauron having made his plans abandons Dol Guldur.

Please educate yourself. Gandalf, Saruman, and the rest of the Council all knew who the Necromancer was long before The Hobbit took place.

brucewayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 brucewayne69

[QUOTE="brucewayne69"]Hmm. False! They knew of his existence, but Gandalf was the one to figure out that the Necromancer was Sauron in the middle of the Hobbit. When he left them after Beorn's house, he went to Dol Goldur. I suspect much of the next movie will have to do with his battle with the Necromancer. Read the appendices in ROTK. And there are many reasons to expect more from the next two movies. The content will quite simply be much better. We have the whole deal with Mirkwood, Beorn (!), the battle of the five armies, the whole deal with Smaug, Gandalf's battle with the Necromancer, and more! They'll be excellent!Laihendi

Allow me to direct you to appendix B of Lord of the Rings

2060 - The power of Dol Guldur grows. The Wise fear that it may be Sauron taking shape again.

2063 - Gandalf goes to Dol Guldur. Sauron retreats and hides in the East.

2460 - Sauron returns with increased strength to Dol Guldur.

2463 - The White Council is formed.

2850 - Gandalf again enters Dol Guldur, and discovers that its master is indeed Sauron, who is gathering all the Rings and seeking for news of the One, and of Isildur's heir.

2851 - The White Council meets. Gandalf urges an attack on Dol Guldur. Saruman overrules him. Saruman begins to search near the Gladden Fields (for the ring).

2939 - Saruman discovers that Sauron's servants are searching the Anduin near the Gladden Fields, and that Sauron therefore learned of Isildur's end. He is alarmed but says nothing to the Council.

2941 - Thorin Oakenshield and Gandalf visit Bilbo in the Shire. Bilbo meets Smeagol-Gollum and finds the Ring. The White Council meets; Saruman agrees to an attack on Dol Guldur, since he now wishes to prevent Sauron from searching the River. Sauron having made his plans abandons Dol Guldur.

Please educate yourself. Gandalf, Saruman, and the rest of the Council all knew who the Necromancer was long before The Hobbit took place.

I stand corrected
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#161 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

Really didn't care for it. Gollum and everything that came after was good, everything before that was stretched far too thin and was way too muddled to keep my interest. It had a severe lack of excitement or sense of adventure, and there were moments of the script where I honestly felt like the films creators put little to no thought in to what was going on. Really made the whole thing feel like what it is - a story worthy of a pair of two hour films unnecessarily expanded to three possibly nearly three hour films. On top of that, the high frame rate was more distracting than anything. Made most of the action sequences feel less cinematic and more videogame-ish. I really hope that the momentum that built towards the end of the film continues into its sequel or else this whole thing is going to just be more of a disappointment than this first film was.

Also...

[spoiler] ...why the hell didn't those eagles fly them to the mountain? After all the sh*t people gave to the LOTR trilogy about why the eagles didn't just fly the ring to Mordor, Jackson once again opens up the door for the same criticism here. [/spoiler]

brucewayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 brucewayne69

Really didn't care for it. Gollum and everything that came after was good, everything before that was stretched far too thin and was way too muddled to keep my interest. It had a severe lack of excitement or sense of adventure, and there were moments of the script where I honestly felt like the films creators put little to no thought in to what was going on. Really made the whole thing feel like what it is - a story worthy of a pair of two hour films unnecessarily expanded to three possibly nearly three hour films. On top of that, the high frame rate was more distracting than anything. Made most of the action sequences feel less cinematic and more videogame-ish. I really hope that the momentum that built towards the end of the film continues into its sequel or else this whole thing is going to just be more of a disappointment than this first film was.

Also...

[spoiler] ...why the hell didn't those eagles fly them to the mountain? After all the sh*t people gave to the LOTR trilogy about why the eagles didn't just fly the ring to Mordor, Jackson once again opens up the door for the same criticism here. [/spoiler]

SaintLeonidas
Yep. Jackson is to blame. He wrote the books, you know.
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 SaintLeonidas
[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"]

Also...

brucewayne69

Huh? Such a stupid comment. 'The Hobbit' story wasn't what was wrong with the film, what was wrong is how he adapted it, stretching it out for multiple films and putting far too much focus on the technical aspects. Even if there are faults in the actual story of the book, it is his and the screenwriters jobs to fill in the gaps, and make what ever changes necessary so that the transition from page to screen works. To say Jackson wouldn't be too blame is beyond moronic.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#164 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
Boycotting until the entire collection comes out on Blu-Ray so I can watch them in the comfort of my own home. Against the decision to turn the shortest book of the collection into three movies.
brucewayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 brucewayne69
[QUOTE="brucewayne69"][QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"]

Also...

SaintLeonidas

Huh? Such a stupid comment. 'The Hobbit' story wasn't what was wrong with the film, what was wrong is how he adapted it, stretching it out for multiple films and putting far too much focus on the technical aspects. Even if there are faults in the actual story of the book, it is his and the screenwriters jobs to fill in the gaps, and make what ever changes necessary so that the transition from page to screen works. To say Jackson wouldn't be too blame is beyond moronic.

I'm talking about the Eagles, moron. And besides, he's adding a lot of stuff from the appendices. We are going to see the battle of Dol Goldur in the next movie. That will be fvcking amazing. You honestly have no idea what you are talking about.
redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#166 redstorm72
Member since 2008 • 4646 Posts

I saw The Hobbit a few hours ago and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I went into the theater with more than a little skepticism. LoTR is my favorite movie franchise of all time, so The Hobbit had some high expectations to live up to. While I don't think it is quite at the same level as LoTR as a whole, I think it does the frachise justice and I actually enjoyed it more than The Fellowship of the Ring. The Hobbit does have some pacing issues in the first hour or so, but so did The Fellowship of the Ring and I can give that a pass considering it is setting up a trilogy of three hour movies. Once the film gets going I was completely enthralled. I thought they did a great job with the Dwarves and Bilbo, they felt very natual and I immediately accepted them as legitmate parts of the lore. There was a nice balance between humour, character interaction and action set peices. There was not nearly as much filler as some people have lead me to believe. My only real complaint was that Radagask (?) the Brown was kind of lame (he's only in the film for 5 minutes though, so no biggy) and Gandalf didn't feel like he belonged in the group as much as he did in the LoTR trilogy (kind of a weird complaint, I know). All in all I was quite impressed and I'm looking forward to the next two films.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 SaintLeonidas

[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"][QUOTE="brucewayne69"] Yep. Jackson is to blame. He wrote the books, you know.brucewayne69

I'm talking about the Eagles, moron. And besides, he's adding a lot of stuff from the appendices. We are going to see the battle of Dol Goldur in the next movie. That will be fvcking amazing. You honestly have no idea what you are talking about.

Again, as I already stated, it is the job of the filmmakers to make up for any gaps in the story, as in he did not have to have the scene with the eagles, or could have came up with an explanation for why they didn't do what I said. Filmmakers are not bound by some make believe law where they have to do every single thing that happens in book. During the adaptation process one thing they should have focused on is making any changes, even if minor, to fix things that on screen do not make much sense. When they fail to do so they are in fact to blame, because the final product is theirs.

And yes, I have no idea what I'm talking about, a statement that makes about as much sense as your original reply.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

It was good, a few complaints, but still a solid film. The mowing down of bodies, and seemingly brutal killings coupled with virtually no blood, and constant cut-aways got a bit annoying. I'm not someone who thinks that films need to be ultra violent, but there could have been a bit more grit in this one. I love LOTR and Middle Earth Lore, so I don't have too much of a complaint about certain things in the beginning being dragged out, but I can see where some might.

IMO, the CGI was overused and made everything seem a bit video-gamey, and the quite a few of the fight scenes just seemed a bit odd for this very reason, some even seemed too, perhaps, choreographed. Nonetheless it was an enjoyable film and had some pretty awesome parts. I expect the following two to be even better.

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 Laihendi

[QUOTE="brucewayne69"][QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"] Huh? Such a stupid comment. 'The Hobbit' story wasn't what was wrong with the film, what was wrong is how he adapted it, stretching it out for multiple films and putting far too much focus on the technical aspects. Even if there are faults in the actual story of the book, it is his and the screenwriters jobs to fill in the gaps, and make what ever changes necessary so that the transition from page to screen works. To say Jackson wouldn't be too blame is beyond moronic. SaintLeonidas

Again, as I already stated, it is the job of the filmmakers to make up for any gaps in the story, as in he did not have to have the scene with the eagles, or could have came up with an explanation for why they didn't do what I said. Filmmakers are not bound by some make believe law where they have to do every single thing that happens in book. During the adaptation process one thing they should have focused on is making any changes, even if minor, to fix things that on screen do not make much sense. When they fail to do so they are in fact to blame, because the final product is theirs.

And yes, I have no idea what I'm talking about, a statement that makes about as much sense as your original reply.

The great eagles are an independent group of people, so they aren't going to just help Gandalf whenever he wants and do whatever he wants just because he wants them to, but they are willing to help him sometimes to an extent. The eagles were very poorly handled in these movies, especially in The Hobbit, since they just show up as a deus ex machina and then leave without any explanation.
Kage1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 Kage1
Member since 2003 • 6806 Posts

No. I dont watch those kind of movies.

not_wanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 not_wanted
Member since 2008 • 1990 Posts

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]

The most disappointing movie I have ever seen. More disappointing than Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. More disappointing than Episode I even. I am absolutely disgusted. My reactions while watching this movie were denial, followed by anger, and finally sadness. The story was completely butchered. The orcs and trolls looked fake. The acting from whoever did the orc king was terrible. His was easily the worst performance I've seen in a major movie in years. Not even remotely convincing. Most of the movie felt like a stupid cartoon, and those who wrote the screenplay should be ashamed.

The dialogue was a bunch of sentimental kitsch. The business with Azog and Thorin had no business in this movie. It contributed nothing and distracted from the purpose of the journey. All it added was kitsch as well, thinly veiled as drama and heroism. I am stunned by how less realistic the orcs looked in this movie than in LOTR. It's like Jackson is another George Lucas, and decided CGI is the answer to everything. And the decision to depict Radagast as a blithering idiot is a disgrace. They completely soiled that character. I cannot even express how disgusted I am.

The movie was scattered with contrived superficial similarities to try to tie it in with the LOTR movies, such as the ring falling on Bilbo's finger. This movie is garbage compared to those. It is an insult to their legacy. And really contrivance and kitsch are the two pillars that this movie is built on. It's just one convenient coincidence after another in an attempt to keep the plot going. It's as if Jackson never even considered the possibility that the plot was fine in the book and didn't need him screwing it up with pointless fight scenes and pathetic attempts at creating drama/conflict.

And the prologue was just stupid. It was like something out of a mediocre video game. I'd say the worst line was when Bilbo blabbered about coming back out of sympathy for the dwarves having no home. What a joke. Bilbo didn't care about that at all in the book.

It's astounding that the people making these movies had the audacity to follow Return of the King, possibly the greatest film of all time, with this travesty after 9 years of anticipation. I am still going to watch it again at least 3 more times over winter break, but frankly that is more to see Elijah Wood than anything else. I have no complaints with the movie as it relates to him.

-Tish-

lol

That's what I was thinking. I think he's one of the trolls from the movie. :P

Avatar image for The_Gaming_Baby
The_Gaming_Baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

User Lists: 52

#172 The_Gaming_Baby
Member since 2010 • 6425 Posts

I saw it a few days ago, would have posted sooner if I had noticed this thread.

I really enjoyed the filmed. It's more light hearted than LOTR which was expected based on its trailers and the fact its based on a childrens book.

It is the best film i've seen this year, everyone should see it

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#173 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
No, I don't go to the movies and don't really care about it. Then I found out it was shot in 3D and uses a lot of CGI and I somehow I got even less interested.
CKYguy25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 CKYguy25
Member since 2012 • 2087 Posts

i plan on seeing it sometime this week

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Laihendi

Unrelated: I always found that little tidbit amusing.