The Hobbit officially being made into three films

• 142 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lief_Ericson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Lief_Ericson
Member since 2005 • 7082 Posts

Guess this means more filler than all LOTR movies put together.

TheFallenDemon
Maybe they can actually fit everything in since they cut so much out of the original Trilogy
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

I've also wondered if Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli were already alive during The Hobbit. Perhaps they might appear in the background. :lol:

jun_aka_pekto

All three are certainly alive during the events of 'the Hobbit'. Aragorn was around 10-11 years of age during Bilbo's quest. Legolas was probably already a couple of thousand years old (considering the lifespan of elves). And Gimli was born 60 years or so before 'the Hobbit'.

I've heard no word of Viggo Mortensen being in these movies (or of anyone playing a younger Aragorn, but I guess it's possible). Orlando Bloom is confirmed to be reappearing as Legolas, and John Rhys-Davis declined to return as Gimli, but simply because he had such trouble with allergic reactions to the facial prosthetics in the 'LotR' films.

dragonball3900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 dragonball3900
Member since 2005 • 8511 Posts
I understood two, because it allowed you to have a giant battle sequence similar to Return of the King in the second movie. Now three movies? I can't imagine how they will fill the first two movies.
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
"We know how much of the story of Bilbo Baggins, the Wizard Gandalf, the Dwarves of Erebor, the rise of the Necromancer, and the Battle of Dol Guldur will remain untold if we do not take this chance."
Yet he had no qualms about leaving huge bits of 'the Lord of the Rings' untold. Even small sh*t that could have been told in a minute that would have helped explain monumental sh*t later on.worlock77
Oh that is just sad... I'm still disappointed they left out Glorfindel.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 worlock77

[QUOTE="The_Gaming_Baby"]

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/peter-jackson-confirms-that-the-hobbit-will-become-three-films

As long as there is no filler used to strentch the story into three films then I'm more than happy with this decision

whipassmt

well according to Peter Jackson:

"We know how much of the story of Bilbo Baggins, the Wizard Gandalf, the Dwarves of Erebor, the rise of the Necromancer, and the Battle of Dol Guldur will remain untold if we do not take this chance. The richness of the story of The Hobbit, as well as some of the related material in the appendices of The Lord of the Rings, allows us to tell the full story of the adventures of Bilbo Baggins and the part he played in the sometimes dangerous, but at all times exciting, history of Middle-earth. "

So basically the reason PJ is making one book into three films is because he isn't just using material from the Hobbit but is also using material from the appendix of the Lord of The Rings and possibly some of Tolkien's other writings (such as the "of the rings of power and the third age" section of the Silmarillion). For instance the Battle of Dol Guldur (where the White Council attack the fortress of the Necromancer (Sauron) in Dol Guldur and "force" him to flee, though in fact Sauron really just pertends to flee into the East and then relocates into Mordor and a few years later sends two nazgul to re-occupy Dol Guldur) is not mentioned in the Hobbit but does take place during the time of the Hobbit (basically in the Hobbit books Gandalf leaves Bilbo and the Dwarves and doesn't reappear until a few chapters later. Gandalf's absence is because him and the White Council are planning an attack on Dol Guldur - Gandalf had actually wanted to attack Dol Guldur for a while, ever since he found out who "the Necromancer" really was, but Saruman kept stopping the Council from attacking). Also one of the Hobbit movies (probably the third one) is supposed to show events that happened in the decades between the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings (most notably Saruman's going over to Sauron's side, and probably also Sauron's return to Mordor).

They won't be using anything from 'the Silmarillion' or any of Tolkien's writings that don't appear in 'The Lord of the Rings' or 'the Hobbit'. Tolkien himself optioned the flim rights to 'the Hobbit' and 'LotR' when he was still alive, but none of his other Middle-Earth writings had been published at that time (despite Tolkien's desire to get 'the Silmarillion' into what he felt to be publishable form during his life). And, unless I missed some news somewhere, the Tolkien family has never sold the film rights to his other books.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#56 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

[QUOTE="worlock77"]"We know how much of the story of Bilbo Baggins, the Wizard Gandalf, the Dwarves of Erebor, the rise of the Necromancer, and the Battle of Dol Guldur will remain untold if we do not take this chance."
Yet he had no qualms about leaving huge bits of 'the Lord of the Rings' untold. Even small sh*t that could have been told in a minute that would have helped explain monumental sh*t later on.Zeviander

Yeah they basically gave his role to Arwen. Having Glorfindel make the rescue seems more plausible, since I doubt Elrond would've sent his daughter out to to go against Nazgul.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 whipassmt

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

[QUOTE="The_Gaming_Baby"]

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/peter-jackson-confirms-that-the-hobbit-will-become-three-films

As long as there is no filler used to strentch the story into three films then I'm more than happy with this decision

worlock77

well according to Peter Jackson:

"We know how much of the story of Bilbo Baggins, the Wizard Gandalf, the Dwarves of Erebor, the rise of the Necromancer, and the Battle of Dol Guldur will remain untold if we do not take this chance. The richness of the story of The Hobbit, as well as some of the related material in the appendices of The Lord of the Rings, allows us to tell the full story of the adventures of Bilbo Baggins and the part he played in the sometimes dangerous, but at all times exciting, history of Middle-earth. "

So basically the reason PJ is making one book into three films is because he isn't just using material from the Hobbit but is also using material from the appendix of the Lord of The Rings and possibly some of Tolkien's other writings (such as the "of the rings of power and the third age" section of the Silmarillion). For instance the Battle of Dol Guldur (where the White Council attack the fortress of the Necromancer (Sauron) in Dol Guldur and "force" him to flee, though in fact Sauron really just pertends to flee into the East and then relocates into Mordor and a few years later sends two nazgul to re-occupy Dol Guldur) is not mentioned in the Hobbit but does take place during the time of the Hobbit (basically in the Hobbit books Gandalf leaves Bilbo and the Dwarves and doesn't reappear until a few chapters later. Gandalf's absence is because him and the White Council are planning an attack on Dol Guldur - Gandalf had actually wanted to attack Dol Guldur for a while, ever since he found out who "the Necromancer" really was, but Saruman kept stopping the Council from attacking). Also one of the Hobbit movies (probably the third one) is supposed to show events that happened in the decades between the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings (most notably Saruman's going over to Sauron's side, and probably also Sauron's return to Mordor).

They won't be using anything from 'the Silmarillion' or any of Tolkien's writings that don't appear in 'The Lord of the Rings' or 'the Hobbit'. Tolkien himself optioned the flim rights to 'the Hobbit' and 'LotR' when he was still alive, but none of his other Middle-Earth writings had been published at that time (despite Tolkien's desire to get 'the Silmarillion' into what he felt to be publishable form during his life). And, unless I missed some news somewhere, the Tolkien family has never sold the film rights to his other books.

Good point. I think most of the "non-hobbit" parts of the movie are based on the Appendices to the LOTR.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts

its not about making quality movies anymore, its about dat money

Chris_Williams
On some level, it's always been about that in Hollywood.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 worlock77

[QUOTE="Zeviander"][QUOTE="worlock77"]"We know how much of the story of Bilbo Baggins, the Wizard Gandalf, the Dwarves of Erebor, the rise of the Necromancer, and the Battle of Dol Guldur will remain untold if we do not take this chance."
Yet he had no qualms about leaving huge bits of 'the Lord of the Rings' untold. Even small sh*t that could have been told in a minute that would have helped explain monumental sh*t later on.whipassmt

Yeah they basically gave his role to Arwen. Having Glorfindel make the rescue seems more plausible, since I doubt Elrond would've sent his daughter out to to go against Nazgul.

F*ck, I'm just glad they had sense enough to leave out the scenes they filmed with Arwen fighting at the Hornburg. Although I'm sure that'll probably be inserted into some "super-ultra-delux" edition some time in the future.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 chrisrooR

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]I've also wondered if Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli were already alive during The Hobbit. Perhaps they might appear in the background. :lol:

worlock77

All three are certainly alive during the events of 'the Hobbit'. Aragorn was around 10-11 years of age during Bilbo's quest. Legolas was probably already a couple of thousand years old (considering the lifespan of elves). And Gimli was born 60 years or so before 'the Hobbit'.

I've heard no word of Viggo Mortensen being in these movies (or of anyone playing a younger Aragorn, but I guess it's possible). Orlando Bloom is confirmed to be reappearing as Legolas, and John Rhys-Davis declined to return as Gimli, but simply because he had such trouble with allergic reactions to the facial prosthetics in the 'LotR' films.

That's too bad, he was fantastic as Gimli.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#61 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
The Lord of the Rings was three volumes, six books, and got three films. From what little I remember of The Hobbit wasn't the book shorter than just one of the Lord of the Ring volumes? I don't even remember it being much longer than just one of the books in one of the Lord of the Ring volumes. I hope they are going to be three 90 minute movies and not three three hour movies. Of course, then I would just feel like it should have just been one long movie.
Avatar image for PsychoRedFox666
PsychoRedFox666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 PsychoRedFox666
Member since 2007 • 2081 Posts

I'm not happy about this. Seems like a waste of time, I mean I saw how two films could work but three?

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 whipassmt

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]I've also wondered if Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli were already alive during The Hobbit. Perhaps they might appear in the background. :lol:

worlock77

The Hobbit takes place in 2941,Aragorn was born in 2931 and Gimil was born in 2879. As for Legolas's appearance in the Hobbit, that actually makes sense, the book clearly mentions that Bilbo and the Dwarves are taken before "the Elven king" of Mirkwood who is King Thranduil, Legolas's father.

tryagainlater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#64 tryagainlater
Member since 2005 • 7446 Posts

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

whipassmt

The Hobbit takes place in 2941,Aragorn was born in 2931 and Gimil was born in 2879. As for Legolas's appearance in the Hobbit, that actually makes sense, the book clearly mentions that Bilbo and the Dwarves are taken before "the Elven king" of Mirkwood who is King Thranduil, Legolas's father.

The years may be a bit different in the movieverse. For example, there was no 17 year gap between Frodo getting the ring and Gandalf telling him to send it to Mordor. They could work any character in with enough explaination probably :P
TreyoftheDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#65 TreyoftheDead
Member since 2007 • 7982 Posts

I thought this was some sort of joke when the rumors started, sad to hear it isn't.

The Hobbit cartoon covered the story well enough at 78 minutes and even though it did cut things out it didn't cut out enough that it couldn't be told more completely in one three hour movie. However, because Jackson stated he was adding more stuff from Tolkien's lore in the films, I gave him the benefit of the doubt that he'd be able to tell the story in two movies without stretching things too thin.

Now? I just don't know.

KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts

I thought this was some sort of joke when the rumors started, sad to hear it isn't.

The Hobbit cartoon covered the story well enough at 78 minutes and even though it did cut things out it didn't cut out enough that it couldn't be told more completely in one three hour movie. However, because Jackson stated he was adding more stuff from Tolkien's lore in the films, I gave him the benefit of the doubt that he'd be able to tell the story in two movies without stretching things too thin.

Now? I just don't know.

TreyoftheDead

You wait to see then you know. ;3

Skarwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#67 Skarwolf
Member since 2006 • 2718 Posts

Hope its not like Return of the King. After awhile I was ready to yell out END ALREADY! Push godamn Bildo onto the fkn boat and leave already I don't care. Not the least of which they left the best part out how Saruman sacks the shire while they're gone and enslaves all the hobbits lol. Best part of the entire series.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

Hope its not like Return of the King. After awhile I was ready to yell out END ALREADY! Push godamn Bildo onto the fkn boat and leave already I don't care. Not the least of which they left the best part out how Saruman sacks the shire while they're gone and enslaves all the hobbits lol. Best part of the entire series.

Skarwolf
That part was very anti-climatic. It would have runied the film, to introduce another miniplot at the end of a 10 hour film (all 3 together)
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#69 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

lol, dat milkage.

AtlanticRock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#70 AtlanticRock
Member since 2007 • 8131 Posts

Does that mean 3 Three hour movies or does the addition of a third film, cut the running time of the second and third to 2hrs(and a half) each?

Skarwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Skarwolf

[QUOTE="Skarwolf"]

BossPerson

That part was very anti-climatic. It would have runied the film, to introduce another miniplot at the end of a 10 hour film (all 3 together)

Actually its far from anti-climatic. It shows the true cost of war that it leaves nobody untouched. In the books it shows how much the hobbits have changed. Originally they fled the shire like scared cowering children. They return and single handedly kick out all of Sharky aka Sarumans thugs and save the hobbits.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 worlock77

Skarwolf

It would have been cool to have seen the Scouring of the Shire, but it just would have added more to a movie that was already demanding a lot from it's audience's patience. And it wasn't really, to be honest, essential to the particular narrative PJ and company were making.

The__Kraken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 The__Kraken
Member since 2012 • 858 Posts

Could be good, provided that some of the "background lore" is added in a coherent manner. As always, the morons will count "their" chickens before they hatch, and complain about things that they know the equivalent of nothing about... Par for the course, I guess.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

[QUOTE="BossPerson"][QUOTE="Skarwolf"]

Skarwolf

Actually its far from anti-climatic. It shows the true cost of war that it leaves nobody untouched. In the books it shows how much the hobbits have changed. Originally they fled the shire like scared cowering children. They return and single handedly kick out all of Sharky aka Sarumans thugs and save the hobbits.

It would have taken to long, it would have destroyed the pacing. The destruction of the shire was alluded to in Fellowship when Frodo looks into the mirror thing with Galadriel/
Skarwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Skarwolf

[QUOTE="Skarwolf"]

worlock77

It would have been cool to have seen the Scouring of the Shire, but it just would have added more to a movie that was already demanding a lot from it's audience's patience. And it wasn't really, to be honest, essential to the particular narrative PJ and company were making.

I suspected they would include that part of the book since Frodo has a vision of orcs enslaving hobbits with the shire all burning. I think when he looks into Galadriels pool or whatever. If I recall the thugs they kick out of the shire are described as orcish or half orcs.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#76 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
Dear God why. The book is so much shorter than LOTR. How on earth is he going to make it three movies without making stuff up.
TreyoftheDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#77 TreyoftheDead
Member since 2007 • 7982 Posts

[QUOTE="TreyoftheDead"]

Now? I just don't know.

KiIIyou

Lol, no sh*t.

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts

I really don't understand why people keep saying they don't understand why Jackson is doing this. As has already been explained numerous times in this thread, Jackson is drawing on the appendices of The Lord of the Rings in addition to The Hobbit for source material. I think I also read somewhere that he has access to extensive notes that Tolkien wrote about expanding The Hobbit (even though he never got around to rewriting it).

It's worth mentioning that one reason The Hobbit isn't nearly as long as The Lord of the Rings is because the latter devotes massive amounts of pages to describing the scenery, something Tolkien did not do in the The Hobbit. When measuring the two books in terms of quantity of actual plot, the disparity isn't as large as many might assume. Also, Jackson's LOTR films were far too short. Many characters from the book were merged together (e.g. Glorfindel and Arwen), or cut completely (e.g. Prince Imrahil, Beregond, Tom Bombadil), and many chapters were removed entirely (e.g. Old Forest, Scourging of the Shire).

As far as I can tell Jackson isn't "milking" his source material, he just isn't gutting it to make it all fit into one nice little 90 minute movie.

KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts

[QUOTE="KiIIyou"]

[QUOTE="TreyoftheDead"]

Now? I just don't know.

TreyoftheDead

Lol, no sh*t.

datsright
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="Skarwolf"]

Skarwolf

I suspected they would include that part of the book since Frodo has a vision of orcs enslaving hobbits with the shire all burning. I think when he looks into Galadriels pool or whatever. If I recall the thugs they kick out of the shire are described as orcish or half orcs.

They allude to it in that scene, but I believe hat even by that point they had decided they weren't going to be able to work it is. So they allude to it as a possibility, but not certainty, in Frodo's future.

Skarwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Skarwolf

I'm just happy they left out Tom Bombadil.

tryagainlater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#82 tryagainlater
Member since 2005 • 7446 Posts

Skarwolf
I agree. I do enjoy the Tom Bombadil character in the book and the speculation about who he is but it would have made the movie hit a brick wall.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178831 Posts
Seems to be the new trend to stretch books out over several movies if possible.....I blame Harry Potter.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#84 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Skarwolf

I wish they included him and the adventure at the Barrow Downs. There's also Goldberry, another addition to the LOTR babes.

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Laihendi
Seems to be the new trend to stretch books out over several movies if possible.....I blame Harry Potter.LJS9502_basic
Darn those authors for writing books that are too long to fit into one movie.
whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 whipassmt

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

tryagainlater

The years may be a bit different in the movieverse. For example, there was no 17 year gap between Frodo getting the ring and Gandalf telling him to send it to Mordor. They could work any character in with enough explaination probably :P

I don't think the movie explicitly stated that there was no 17 year gap, it just made it seem that way to someone who hasn't read the novels or appendix b. The movie does however make it look like the Nazgul left Minas Morgul right after Gollum said "shire Baggins" when Sauron was interrogating him. In Tolkien's writings (mostly Unfinished Tales I think), after interrogating Gollum, Sauron lets him go (making Gollum think he escaped) and has spies track Gollum because he thinks Gollum will go find Bilbo and the spies will follow Gollum and find where the ring is. However Gollum gets captured by Aragorn who takes Gollum to Mirkwood where the elves imprison Gollum and Gandalf comes in and interrogates Gollum (Gandalf loses patience and threatens to set Gollum on fire if he doesn't cooperate but even then Gollum holds back some info and Gandalf could tell Gollum is more scared of Sauron than he is of Gandalf). Sauron finds out that Gandalf interrogated Gollum in Mirkwood so Sauron sends a force of orcs to kill or capture Gollum (the elves would take Gollum outside from time to time for exercise because they felt that keeping him locked up in a dungeon may make him fall back to his evil ways), while Sauron's spies inform Gollum of the plot (they tell Gollum the orc raid is meant to rescue him) so that he can cooperate (i.e. refuse to come down from the tree when his elven guards tell him to). During the fight between the orcs and the elves, Gollum escapes both of them and eventually hides out in Moria. At around the same time the orcs launch their raid to free/capture Gollum, Sauron sends a force of orcs and men led by a ringwraith to go attack Osgiliath (they take the Eastern part of Osgiliath over, but the attack was actually meant as a diversion for Sauron to be able to let the ringwraiths out of Mordor so they can go search for the ring). The Nazgul spend months near the gladden fields searching for the shire (Sauron thinks the shire is in that area since that is where Gollum was originally from and where Isildur was killed) but eventually go to Saruman and ask where the Shire is. Saruman won't tell the Nazgul where the shire is and instead tells them "it is not a land which you seek, but if I knew where it was I would already have it (it meaning the ring). The Nazgul learn the real location of the shire from one of Saruman's underlings (in one of Tolkien's notes Wormtongue tells them where the shire is, in another version one of Saruman's spies, called "The Southerner" in the Lord of the Rings, spills the beans to the Nazgul after the run into him and interrogate him).

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 chrisrooR

Just watched http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCVxDbqgu6o - it's the new Hobbit production vlog. My god, I take back whatever I said. These movies look absolutely amazing. I'm not sure I've ever seen such an extensive production on a movie before.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 worlock77

Skarwolf

F*ck yes.

drufeous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 drufeous
Member since 2004 • 2535 Posts

You do know it will be covering some of the appendices and stuff right? Not just the Hobbit.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Seems to be the new trend to stretch books out over several movies if possible.....I blame Harry Potter.Laihendi
Darn those authors for writing books that are too long to fit into one movie.

The Hobbit isn't a very lengthy book dude. And Potter was mostly unreadable so two movies were not necessary and I'd say probably not Twilight either but I didn't read that dreck.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Not happy about this at all. The Hobbit as a book is shorter than any of the Lord of the Rings books and MUCH shorter than the entire trilogy, yet now it's being made into a trilogy itself? There is going to be way to much "filler", aka stuff from The Silmarillion that is never mentioned in The Hobbit nor does it need to be. Two movies would have been perfect, but now three is stretching things out way too long. Unless these are going to be each around an hour and a half or so, which I don't see Jackson doing.

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Laihendi

Again, these movies aren't just about Bilbo's journey as depicted in the book, they're also about other events happening at around the same time that are relevant to Lord of the Rings (basically anything having to do with Sauron). This has been explained again and again even in just this one thread. I'll repost this for anyone who wants to understand what Jackson is doing:

Jackson is drawing on the appendices of The Lord of the Rings in addition to The Hobbit for source material. I think I also read somewhere that he has access to extensive notes that Tolkien wrote about expanding The Hobbit (even though he never got around to rewriting it).

It's worth mentioning that one reason The Hobbit isn't nearly as long as The Lord of the Rings is because the latter devotes massive amounts of pages to describing the scenery, something Tolkien did not do in the The Hobbit. When measuring the two books in terms of quantity of actual plot, the disparity isn't as large as many might assume. Also, Jackson's LOTR films were far too short. Many characters from the book were merged together (e.g. Glorfindel and Arwen), or cut completely (e.g. Prince Imrahil, Beregond, Tom Bombadil), and many chapters were removed entirely (e.g. Old Forest, Scourging of the Shire).

As far as I can tell Jackson isn't "milking" his source material, he just isn't gutting it to make it all fit into one nice little 90 minute movie.Laihendi

harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#93 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts

What are you thinking, Pete ?

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#94 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

The Scourging of the Shire was bullsh*t anyway.

harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#95 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts
Jackson is drawing on the appendices of The Lord of the Rings in addition to The Hobbit for source material. I think I also read somewhere that he has access to extensive notes that Tolkien wrote about expanding The Hobbit (even though he never got around to rewriting it).

As far as I can tell Jackson isn't "milking" his source material, he just isn't gutting it to make it all fit into one nice little 90 minute movie.Laihendi

The problem is that you are assuming everything translates from book to film perfectly. A book can have as much detail and events as the author wants, mostly because the reader can put it down and come back to it whenever they feel like it. In a movie, events need to be changed or removed entirely, because it doesn't work. A movie needs to hold the attention of the reader. If they were to include everything from the Lord of the Rings books in the movies, they would've had to make 6 films, 2 - 3 hours long each, and 2 of those hours would be boring for audiences. A writer paints a picture with words, and a filmmaker uses moving images; they cannot be successfully used in the same way.
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Laihendi

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]Jackson is drawing on the appendices of The Lord of the Rings in addition to The Hobbit for source material. I think I also read somewhere that he has access to extensive notes that Tolkien wrote about expanding The Hobbit (even though he never got around to rewriting it).

As far as I can tell Jackson isn't "milking" his source material, he just isn't gutting it to make it all fit into one nice little 90 minute movie.harashawn

The problem is that you are assuming everything translates from book to film perfectly. A book can have as much detail and events as the author wants, mostly because the reader can put it down and come back to it whenever they feel like it. In a movie, events need to be changed or removed entirely, because it doesn't work. A movie needs to hold the attention of the reader. If they were to include everything from the Lord of the Rings books in the movies, they would've had to make 6 films, 2 - 3 hours long each, and 2 of those hours would be boring for audiences. A writer paints a picture with words, and a filmmaker uses moving images; they cannot be successfully used in the same way.

I think those who read the book and were fascinated by it would also be fascinated by a film adaptation that closely and literally follows the book. I certainly would. I think what you're saying is true for the typical movie viewer: someone who doesn't have much of an attention span, who consequently doesn't read much, and would never even consider reading something like LOTR.

You seem more concerned with the movies being a commercial success, whereas I am more concerned with the movies representing Tolkien's world. I expect these movies will be profitable no matter what Jackson ends up doing, and I hope he uses that financial security to be as uncompromising as possible when it comes to representing Tolkien's world.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="harashawn"][QUOTE="Laihendi"]Jackson is drawing on the appendices of The Lord of the Rings in addition to The Hobbit for source material. I think I also read somewhere that he has access to extensive notes that Tolkien wrote about expanding The Hobbit (even though he never got around to rewriting it).

I think those who read the book and were fascinated by it would also be fascinated by a film adaptation that closely and literally follows the book. I certainly would. I think what you're saying is true for the typical movie viewer: someone who doesn't have much of an attention span, who consequently doesn't read much, and would never even consider reading something like LOTR.

You seem more concerned with the movies being a commercial success, whereas I am more concerned with the movies representing Tolkien's world. I expect these movies will be profitable no matter what Jackson ends up doing, I hope he uses that financial security to be as uncompromising as possible when it comes to representing the Tolkien's world.

Books are longer than movies because the description is written whereas much of what is necessary is shown in a movie.
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Laihendi
That isn't at all relevant to what I've been saying.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 LJS9502_basic
That isn't at all relevant to what I've been saying.Laihendi
Yes it is. You are confusing the length of books with what is necessary for a movie. Much of a book is shown in set design etc that is described for several pages in a book....and some of the book will not translate to movies. Screenplays are never exact.
Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#100 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
All about the $$$SteverXIII
This. The Hobbit is even a smaller book that The Fellowship of the Ring.