The Guy from HBO's Girls to be villain in Star Wars VII

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14461 posts) -

Yeah.

Adam Driver is in final negotiations to play the villain in J.J.Abram's Star Wars movie according to The Hollywood Reporter. The guy who's Lena Dunham's boyfriend in Girls...too lazy to look him up on IMDB to see if he's done anything remotely interesting.

Once again, he's going to be the villain. This guy.

The Rebels are crapping their pants as we speak.

(Why doesn't the friggin' image uploader work?! I just wanna post one goddamn pic!)

#2 Edited by Master_Live (14863 posts) -

*takes a deep breath*

#3 Posted by Masculus (2869 posts) -

J. J. Abrams + this guy = shitty movie.

#4 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14461 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

*takes a deep breath*

Is it just me, or does he look like in that pic someone who got the shit kicked outta him in the high school locker room on a daily basis? I think he has a goatee now, but it only makes him look like someone who's doing a 7-Eleven run at 3 am for Pringles and a pack of Camels.

#5 Edited by Makhaidos (1614 posts) -

This guy's going to become as famous as Darth Vader, just you tiny-eared unbelievers watch.

#6 Posted by SaintLeonidas (26354 posts) -

Waste of his talents, but hey, dude will probably make a ton of cash.

#7 Posted by destinhpark (4753 posts) -

He actually has done interesting things, in fact he had a role in "Inside Llewyn Davis" and he was fantastic. I'm interested in this new role, it'll be good for him.

#8 Posted by DavesAlt (965 posts) -

Don't see the issue

#9 Posted by DavesAlt (965 posts) -

Are we basing these thoughts on just looks or his past roles

#10 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9867 posts) -

I busted out laughing when i saw his picture... but then i remember the he is really tall and has a hugely wide chest/shoulders so maybe thats what they were looking for.

#11 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14461 posts) -

@Nengo_Flow said:

I busted out laughing when i saw his picture... but then i remember the he is really tall and has a hugely wide chest/shoulders so maybe thats what they were looking for.

I'm still laughing at the picture myself. He looks like he belongs in the high school debate club.

#12 Posted by SaintLeonidas (26354 posts) -

Too much Adam Driver hate and not enough Star Wars hate in this thread. Y'all needz to get yo priorities straight.

#13 Posted by dave123321 (34153 posts) -

@SaintLeonidas: sad thing is the hate seems to be coming from those who don't know or remember him in anything

#14 Edited by dave123321 (34153 posts) -

Well maybe not hate, but general negativity and pessimism

#15 Edited by Hallenbeck77 (14461 posts) -

@SaintLeonidas said:

Too much Adam Driver hate and not enough Star Wars hate in this thread. Y'all needz to get yo priorities straight.

No hate for either. Just indifference to Star Wars, (Bummed that the unaltered original trilogy will never see a blu-ray release anytime soon, and lost all interest in the franchise after episode I) and just amusement that he was cast.

#16 Posted by indzman (18225 posts) -

Even people disliked Heath Ledger being Joker before Dark Knight release as he was a good looking romantic hero ( many thought him unfit to be playing a villain ), afterwards peoples opinion changed towards good. I'll wait to see how this guy performs and then pass my judgement :)

#17 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

I have no strong feelings either way toward this guy. However, the article I read about this mentioned that Michael Fassbender had also been in negotiations for this role. That, I would definitely be stoked on. Also, I didn't realize until today that the Episode 7 screenplay was co-written (with Abrams) by Lawrence Kasdan, which I'm super stoked on. In case anyone doesn't know, Kasdan wrote Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.

#18 Posted by MrGeezer (56580 posts) -

@the_bi99man said:

I have no strong feelings either way toward this guy. However, the article I read about this mentioned that Michael Fassbender had also been in negotiations for this role. That, I would definitely be stoked on. Also, I didn't realize until today that the Episode 7 screenplay was co-written (with Abrams) by Lawrence Kasdan, which I'm super stoked on. In case anyone doesn't know, Kasdan wrote Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.

In all fairness, that was back in like, 1980. And a lot of the times, people have it and then they lose it.

Not that I'm saying that Lawrence Kasdan sucks, but Empire Strikes Back was more than 30 freaking years ago. If you've gotta reach THAT far back in order to get stoked, then that in itself is a sign of concern. Keep in mind that this is also the guy who co-wrote the screenplay for Dreamcatcher.

#19 Edited by Samurai_Xavier (4364 posts) -

Sure, that pic makes him look dorky, but give him a scar on his face, a hood and a red lightsaber and I can totally see an evil sith lord. Under the right lighting, makeup, etc. he could totally look like a badass. His character in Girls at times was extremely creepy. Especially early in season 2 when other character start to think he could be a serial killer. I don't really think this is a bad casting choice at all. We don't even know the role, so we can't judge either way.

#20 Posted by airshocker (29932 posts) -

Never heard of the actor before so I'm going to reserve judgment and trust in J.J, Abrams. I think he's up to the task, though.

#21 Posted by Master_Live (14863 posts) -

@the_bi99man said:

Empire is superb but if he wrote ROTJ then that means he gave us the Ewoks...

#22 Edited by bowchicka07 (1075 posts) -

Not very Sith worthy. Maybe he will have makeup or play a smuggler/ non-sith type of villain.

#23 Posted by CrimsonBrute (23597 posts) -

*looks at picture*

e2d.gif
#24 Posted by donmuath (62 posts) -

@the_bi99man said:

Fassbender, Nice! Loved him in Prometheus and Xmen.

#25 Posted by Treflis (11575 posts) -

Can't say much since I haven't seen his work, and if this is apperance related then it frankly doesn't matter because of 2 things.

1. Movie make-up

2. It's Star Wars and since he's likely to be a sith then looks doesn't matter if he's supposed to be a powerful one.

#26 Posted by bobaban (10560 posts) -

If you've seen him on girls he is muscular and tall. Hard to say how he'll do though, but I could see him being evil.

#27 Posted by lamprey263 (24236 posts) -

Haha, I came in here thinking "please let it be Adam".

Upon reflection though, WTF?! We all know the imperial scum are British.

#28 Posted by foxhound_fox (88797 posts) -

What villain?

#29 Posted by Big_Pecks (5365 posts) -

I just can't see him as a villain. Hell, Lena Dunham eclipses him in Girls.

#30 Posted by DNA-Hole (41 posts) -
@Big_Pecks said:

I just can't see him as a villain. Hell, Lena Dunham eclipses him in Girls.

With a butt that wide, she eclipses three lanes of oncoming traffic.

But as for this guy being in star wars, I can't take it seriously because I think of his character on Girls. Does the empire really need a douchey looking hipster asswipe on their side?

#31 Posted by Jag85 (4628 posts) -

Damn, that kid looks menacing!

#32 Posted by limpbizkit818 (15042 posts) -

And this guy was Darth Maul

#33 Posted by Braun_Roid_Rage (720 posts) -

LMAO

#34 Posted by Icarian (1502 posts) -

What's the problem? A good actor can do any role well. I don't know if he's a good actor, never seen him before, but I reserve judgment until I see the movie. He's tall so that is a plus at least.

#35 Edited by DNA-Hole (41 posts) -

@limpbizkit818 said:

And this guy was Darth Maul

But the difference being is that he looks like someone who can be intimidating in any role, even without being buried underneath tons of makeup. This Driver kid is gonna need CGI, heavy makeup, pec implants, and the divine hand of the lord before I buy him as a bad guy. Shit, I barely buy him as someone who should be a barista in a coffee shop.

#36 Posted by Wilfred_Owen (20877 posts) -

With enough of his lighting effects you'll just be blind enough.

#37 Posted by Sword-Demon (6970 posts) -

Thanks for the spoiler.. Now I know there's a villain in SW7.

#38 Posted by samaside (16 posts) -

So he's going to be some whimpy ass dude no one expects to be the villain? That's the only way I can believe this.

#39 Posted by topgunmv (10249 posts) -

Everytime I see one of these threads on the internet, the actor in question ends up doing a fantastic job.

#40 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16793 posts) -

They're probably going to give him a lot of make up. Remember, this is Star Wars, with lots of alien species and stuff. Nowhere does it say the guy's gonna be human.