The Electoral College vote is complete B.S.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by ristactionjakso (5823 posts) -

Why have a system where the majority of the vote doesn't matter? I don't understand it at all. I'm watching the news, and they will delcare a winner, but the winner will have something like 40% and the loser will have 60%. That is complete B.S. in my view.

Why don't we use the popular vote, where a majority vote rules? It's almost like our vote doesn't matter anymore.

#2 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16964 posts) -

Why have a system where the majority of the vote doesn't matter? I don't understand it at all. I'm watching the news, and they will delcare a winner, but the winner will have something like 40% and the loser will have 60%. That is complete B.S. in my view.

Why don't we use the popular vote, where a majority vote rules? It's almost like our vote doesn't matter anymore.

ristactionjakso

It would be stupid if the minority states voices weren't heard.

#3 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (4103 posts) -

I agree, but let's be honest, neither party will touch it because people who have no knowledge of the constitution will start complaining about changing the constitution.

#4 Posted by Serraph105 (28350 posts) -

Duh? That's why I want Obama to win the EC and not the GE, I have longer term hopes than just this presidential election.

#5 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (4103 posts) -

[QUOTE="ristactionjakso"]

JangoWuzHere

They can vote....

#6 Posted by thegerg (15737 posts) -

ristactionjakso
You seem to be confused. The majority vote does matter. It determines who the electors vote for.
#7 Posted by Blue-Sky (10337 posts) -

The electoral college can be improved, but a vote by simple majority opens up the problem of mob rule.

If the debates have taught us anything is that the majority are stupid.

#8 Posted by Baranga (14217 posts) -

thegerg

You seem to be confused. The majority vote does matter. It determines who the electors vote for.

Tell that to Al Gore.

#9 Posted by thegerg (15737 posts) -

[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="ristactionjakso"]

Baranga

Tell that to Al Gore.

Why would I need to do that? I'm sure he understands how the system works.
#10 Posted by VanHelsingBoA64 (5455 posts) -

ristactionjakso
If you're talking about individual states, what you're describing literally never happens (and I'm positive that no one has won the presidency after losing the popular vote by a 20 percent margin). And a strictly popular vote wouldn't work in the US.
#11 Posted by KiIIyou (27151 posts) -
B bit bottom
#12 Posted by mrmusicman247 (17577 posts) -
it's not complete bs only paritally
#13 Posted by ristactionjakso (5823 posts) -

JangoWuzHere

??? states? It wouldn't depend on the states as a whole. It would make each individual vote actually count. So the "minority states" not being heard wouldn't be a problem at all.

#14 Posted by lx_theo (6211 posts) -

Rights of the minority over the will of the majority... Well, I think it applies.

#15 Posted by ristactionjakso (5823 posts) -

thegerg

Not exactly my friend. It is possible for a canidate to win the presidency with only 11 states in his favor and 39 in favor of the other candidate. That isn't right in my opinion.

#16 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151873 posts) -

ristactionjakso
Each states gets a say proportionally....if you eliminate the EC....smaller states would have no say in government. Which wouldn't be fair now would it?
#17 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151873 posts) -

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

ristactionjakso

??? states? It wouldn't depend on the states as a whole. It would make each individual vote actually count. So the "minority states" not being heard wouldn't be a problem at all.

Individual votes do count. :|
#18 Posted by VanHelsingBoA64 (5455 posts) -

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

ristactionjakso

Yes, it would. No candidate would waste time campaigning in a state with a low population when they can just win votes with large populations.
#19 Posted by thegerg (15737 posts) -

[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="ristactionjakso"]

ristactionjakso

Not exactly my friend. It is possible for a canidate to win the presidency with only 11 states in his favor and 39 in favor of the other candidate. That isn't right in my opinion.

Yes exactly. The majority vote does matter. It determines who the electors vote for. " It is possible for a canidate to win the presidency with only 11 states in his favor and 39 in favor of the other candidate. That isn't right in my opinion." That doesn't have a damn thing to do with my post.
#20 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151873 posts) -

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

VanHelsingBoA64

Yes, it would. No candidate would waste time campaigning in a state with a low population when they can just win votes with large populations.

Not to mention the federal funds may not be distributed.....roads? What roads....
#21 Posted by -Renegade (8340 posts) -
Elections are rigged anyway Obama is going to win again because that is the way it has been planned.
#22 Posted by -Renegade (8340 posts) -
But yeah Electoral College is BS this is why I don't vote because my vote doesn't count because SC always votes for republicans and they win by a large margin every year.
#23 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151873 posts) -
Elections are rigged anyway Obama is going to win again because that is the way it has been planned.-Renegade
You must be friends with hartsickdiscpl....
#24 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151873 posts) -
But yeah Electoral College is BS this is why I don't vote because my vote doesn't count because SC always votes for republicans and they win by a large margin every year.-Renegade
Why do you think the Republicans win? I'd imagine it's because much of SC is Republican. :| That's it...I've given up on OT. Does no one understand the election process?
#25 Posted by mrmusicman247 (17577 posts) -
[QUOTE="-Renegade"]But yeah Electoral College is BS this is why I don't vote because my vote doesn't count because SC always votes for republicans and they win by a large margin every year.LJS9502_basic
Why do you think the Republicans win? I'd imagine it's because much of SC is Republican. :| That's it...I've given up on OT. Does no one understand the election process?

most of the people replying probably aren't even american and/or don't really care and just saying stupid things
#26 Posted by jim_shorts (7320 posts) -

LJS9502_basic
Each states gets a say proportionally....if you eliminate the EC....smaller states would have no say in government. Which wouldn't be fair now would it?

I don't agree with that. It shouldn't be about states, it should be about individuals.
#27 Posted by mingmao3046 (2497 posts) -

LJS9502_basic

what? people in smaller states would still vote. what are you talking about?
#28 Posted by xscrapzx (6423 posts) -

To sit here an say because of the EC your vote doesn't count is complete bull. You have a representative of a state that represents YOU! Therefore, what ever they vote on they are voting for you.

#29 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151873 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="ristactionjakso"]

jim_shorts

I don't agree with that. It shouldn't be about states, it should be about individuals.

So the highly populated states get a say in government while the sparsely populated states get to stand on the sidelines with no voice? Real democratic of you....
#30 Posted by -Renegade (8340 posts) -

[QUOTE="-Renegade"]But yeah Electoral College is BS this is why I don't vote because my vote doesn't count because SC always votes for republicans and they win by a large margin every year.LJS9502_basic

I have no problem with most of SC being republicans, the problem is as a democrat my vote doesn't count.

#31 Posted by xscrapzx (6423 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="ristactionjakso"]

mingmao3046

what? people in smaller states would still vote. what are you talking about?

Um it has to do with population. Bigger states have bigger populations, smaller states have smaller population. If you go by that than smaller states will always lose. See why the EC is in place?
#32 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151873 posts) -

To sit here an say because of the EC your vote doesn't count is complete bull. You have a representative of a state that represents YOU! Therefore, what ever they vote on they are voting for you.

xscrapzx
Thank you....you've restored my faith partially.:P
#33 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151873 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="-Renegade"]But yeah Electoral College is BS this is why I don't vote because my vote doesn't count because SC always votes for republicans and they win by a large margin every year.-Renegade

I have no problem with most of SC being republicans, the problem is my vote doesn't count.

It does count. You just are drowned out by a majority of opposing viewpoints. You're not suggesting we let the losers win are you?
#34 Posted by xscrapzx (6423 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="-Renegade"]But yeah Electoral College is BS this is why I don't vote because my vote doesn't count because SC always votes for republicans and they win by a large margin every year.-Renegade

I have no problem with most of SC being republicans, the problem is my vote doesn't count.

I'm in Mass and it is all blue, has been and always will be. But to sit here and say your vote doesn't count is rediculous, its just unfotunate that there are more opposed to your ideaology, thats all.
#35 Posted by -Renegade (8340 posts) -
[QUOTE="xscrapzx"]

LJS9502_basic

What if I didn't vote for them though?
#36 Posted by jim_shorts (7320 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] So the highly populated states get a say in government while the sparsely populated states get to stand on the sidelines with no voice? Real democratic of you....

You're portraying it all wrong. I'm from a sparsely populated state. Everyone would have the same exact say with a popular vote. States would be irrelevant.
#37 Posted by thegerg (15737 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="xscrapzx"]

-Renegade

What then? There will always be someone that didn't vote for the winner. Do you have a point?
#38 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151873 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="xscrapzx"]

-Renegade

Sorry dude but the majority vote selects the EC for the state and they vote per their state.
#39 Posted by -Renegade (8340 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="-Renegade"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Why do you think the Republicans win? I'd imagine it's because much of SC is Republican. :| That's it...I've given up on OT. Does no one understand the election process?

It does count. You just are drowned out by a majority of opposing viewpoints. You're not suggesting we let the losers win are you?

When I vote for president my vote is not being counted!!!
#40 Posted by Nick3306 (2613 posts) -
[QUOTE="xscrapzx"][QUOTE="-Renegade"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Why do you think the Republicans win? I'd imagine it's because much of SC is Republican. :| That's it...I've given up on OT. Does no one understand the election process?

I'm in Mass and it is all blue, has been and always will be. But to sit here and say your vote doesn't count is ridiculous, its just unfotunate that there are more opposed to your ideaology, thats all.

I wouldn't say it is ridiculous, maybe misguided but not ridiculous. Technically your vote does count. But if you live in a republican state and vote democratic it is reasonable to feel like your vote doesnt count. So not ridiculous, just misguided.
#41 Posted by VanHelsingBoA64 (5455 posts) -

[QUOTE="VanHelsingBoA64"][QUOTE="ristactionjakso"]??? states? It wouldn't depend on the states as a whole. It would make each individual vote actually count. So the "minority states" not being heard wouldn't be a problem at all.LJS9502_basic

Not to mention the federal funds may not be distributed.....roads? What roads....

Exactly. A popular vote would make for a huge chasm between small, rural regions and dense, urban regions in the US (especially given how large and diverse the country is).

#42 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151873 posts) -
[QUOTE="jim_shorts"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] So the highly populated states get a say in government while the sparsely populated states get to stand on the sidelines with no voice? Real democratic of you....

You're portraying it all wrong. I'm from a sparsely populated state. Everyone would have the same exact say with a popular vote. States would be irrelevant.

No no no. Simplistically it might seem that way but that isn't how it works out. Sparsely populated states would cease to be important, their interests would not be important, and in short they'd probably end up getting shafting with federal funds as well as having the "bigger" states deciding what happens in those states. Seems unfair to me.....
#43 Posted by ristactionjakso (5823 posts) -

[QUOTE="jim_shorts"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Each states gets a say proportionally....if you eliminate the EC....smaller states would have no say in government. Which wouldn't be fair now would it?LJS9502_basic

So the highly populated states get a say in government while the sparsely populated states get to stand on the sidelines with no voice? Real democratic of you....

It wouldn't be about the states man. It would be just a total tally of votes for each canidate. No painting states red or blue, no democrat or republican state. Just count each individual vote and the majority wins.

#44 Posted by -Renegade (8340 posts) -
[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="-Renegade"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Thank you....you've restored my faith partially.:P

What then? There will always be someone that didn't vote for the winner. Do you have a point?

I've already made it! I want my vote to count when I vote for president!
#45 Posted by nocoolnamejim (15136 posts) -

ristactionjakso
Welcome to the world of the Democrats in 2000.
#46 Posted by thegerg (15737 posts) -
[QUOTE="-Renegade"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="-Renegade"] I have no problem with most of SC being republicans, the problem is my vote doesn't count.

What in the world makes you think that?
#47 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151873 posts) -
[QUOTE="-Renegade"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="-Renegade"] I have no problem with most of SC being republicans, the problem is my vote doesn't count.

Yes it is. You just aren't in line with the majority.
#48 Posted by thegerg (15737 posts) -
[QUOTE="-Renegade"][QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="-Renegade"] What if I didn't vote for them though?

I've already made it! I want my vote to count when I vote for president!

It does count.
#49 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151873 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="jim_shorts"]I don't agree with that. It shouldn't be about states, it should be about individuals. ristactionjakso

It wouldn't be about the states man. It would be just a total tally of votes for each canidate. No painting states red or blue, no democrat or republican state. Just count each individual vote and the majority wins.

You're missing the point.
#50 Posted by xscrapzx (6423 posts) -
[QUOTE="Nick3306"][QUOTE="xscrapzx"][QUOTE="-Renegade"] I have no problem with most of SC being republicans, the problem is my vote doesn't count.

I'm in Mass and it is all blue, has been and always will be. But to sit here and say your vote doesn't count is ridiculous, its just unfotunate that there are more opposed to your ideaology, thats all.

I wouldn't say it is ridiculous, maybe misguided but not ridiculous. Technically your vote does count. But if you live in a republican state and vote democratic it is reasonable to feel like your vote doesnt count. So not ridiculous, just misguided.

Let me ask you a question if I vote for Romney in Mass. does my vote not go to him?