The death penalty, do you support it?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Primordialous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Primordialous
Member since 2012 • 1313 Posts

Do you support it?

What do you think of it?

I'm personally for it if the suspect is proven guilty of murder. Murderers are the lowest form of scum on this planet. I honestly cannot see why someone would think that people who take lives deserves to live themselves.

kingkong0124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 kingkong0124
Member since 2012 • 8329 Posts

Yes, under certain circumstances

Primordialous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Primordialous

kingkong0124

Elaborate, if you wish.

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

i actually dont know where i stand on it.

kingkong0124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kingkong0124
Member since 2012 • 8329 Posts

[QUOTE="kingkong0124"]

Primordialous

Elaborate, if you wish.

I get the whole "eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" type of thing, but that whole philosophy turns foolish when there's like 25 people getting killed by 1 person.

Hitler, for example, deserved the death penalty.

heeweesRus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 heeweesRus
Member since 2012 • 5492 Posts

only for lemmings:cool:

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
No.
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#8 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

i actually dont know where i stand on it.

konvikt_17

Same.

Primordialous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Primordialous

Think of Adam Lanza, the Newtown shooter. He shot and killed 20 children. If he had not committed suicide, he would most likely have gotten the death penalty. Would you really want somebody like this to be kept alive? Anyone with a brain would say no.

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

Think of Adam Lanza, the Newtown shooter. He shot and killed 20 children. If he had not committed suicide, he would most likely have gotten the death penalty. Would you really want somebody like this to be kept alive? Anyone with a brain would say no.

Primordialous

you cant just base things off of one case.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts

Primordialous
I wouldn't shed for a mass killer of kids, no. But a state that has the power to unconditionally murder its own citizens is far more dangerous than a few random civilian killers. Unwanted situation. I'm against the state killing people in all circumstances.
MannyDelgado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MannyDelgado
Member since 2011 • 1187 Posts
I get the whole "eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" type of thing, but that whole philosophy turns foolish when there's like 25 people getting killed by 1 person. kingkong0124
Not really The same logic still applies to a choice of 26 eyes vs. 25 eyes as to a choice of 1 eye vs 2
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
Not under any circumstances.
NEWMAHAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NEWMAHAY
Member since 2012 • 3824 Posts
If its proved beyond any sort of doubt that the person did it, then I support it.
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts
Under alot of circumstances yes
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

Do you support it?

What do you think of it?

I'm personally for it if the suspect is proven guilty of murder. Murderers are the lowest form of scum on this planet. I honestly cannot see why someone would think that people who take lives deserves to live themselves.

Primordialous

Because some people don't deserve to live, or rather, deserve to die. A murderer of rapists, thieves, usurer should get a prize, not a death sentence.

Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts

No I don't.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts
Lolnope.
Retro_Future

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Retro_Future
Member since 2013 • 118 Posts

Leaning towards no. I haven't really given it much thought lately. 

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

[QUOTE="Primordialous"]

Do you support it?

What do you think of it?

N30F3N1X

Because some people don't deserve to live, or rather, deserve to die. A murderer of rapists, thieves, usurer should get a prize, not a death sentence.

Murder is an appropriate response to theft?
Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts

[QUOTE="N30F3N1X"]

[QUOTE="Primordialous"]

Do you support it?

What do you think of it?

PannicAtack

Murder is an appropriate response to theft?

I guess he took Boondock Saints a little too close to heart.

Razor-Lazor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Razor-Lazor
Member since 2009 • 12763 Posts
No. Life imprisonment is worse than death.
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

Murder is an appropriate response to theft?PannicAtack

Not theft as in stealing snacks from a crowded bar of course, but rather theft as in massive fiscal frauds.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
With respect to a society that cannot maintain incarceration of dangerous criminals who could threaten the lives of it's citizenry, yes, I wholeheartedly support it, as no criminal should be capable of breaking the law once caught and tried. In a society with the ability to keep a dangerous criminal incarcerated, I oppose it out of the reasoning that no guilt is 100%, even with DNA evidence. Ethically, the death penalty is not something I would support, as the state given the above circumstances, should not be capable of determining the death of a citizen. Emotionally, I freely admit that I support the concept of revenge and a victim pursuing action against the person who wronged them. Legally, it isn't right, but that implies the person taking revenge gets caught.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178843 Posts
[QUOTE="Zeviander"]With respect to a society that cannot maintain incarceration of dangerous criminals who could threaten the lives of it's citizenry, yes, I wholeheartedly support it, as no criminal should be capable of breaking the law once caught and tried. In a society with the ability to keep a dangerous criminal incarcerated, I oppose it out of the reasoning that no guilt is 100%, even with DNA evidence. Ethically, the death penalty is not something I would support, as the state given the above circumstances, should not be capable of determining the death of a citizen. Emotionally, I freely admit that I support the concept of revenge and a victim pursuing action against the person who wronged them. Legally, it isn't right, but that implies the person taking revenge gets caught.

I find your ideas more scary than the state determining death. Anyway no I don't. I understand it's use but I don't like the idea.
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

No, and thankfully I live in a country that's against it.

And why would you ask, three simple reasons.

1. Having to be in prison for a large portion of your life if not for the rest of your life is more of a punishment then simply killing them off.

2. Depending on the degree and circumstances, You could rehabilitate those convicted as several more often then not regrets killing another person more so then doing time because of it.

3. It completely removes the chance that you kill a person who could've been innocent.

And it cheaper to give life in prison compared to death sentences

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LJS9502_basic

No, and thankfully I live in a country that's against it.

And why would you ask, three simple reasons.

1. Having to be in prison for a large portion of your life if not for the rest of your life is more of a punishment then simply killing them off.

2. Depending on the degree and circumstances, You could rehabilitate those convicted as several more often then not regrets killing another person more so then doing time because of it.

3. It completely removes the chance that you kill a person who could've been innocent.

And it cheaper to give life in prison compared to death sentences

Treflis
1. Depends. Some people actually like prison believe it or not. There are those who can't make it when released that try to get caught again. 2. And those for whom rehabilitation does not work? 3. DNA makes that less and less likely. 4. It's not he death sentence nor the execution that are more costly...it's the appeals process.
HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts
I do not support it. Expensive, not a deterrent, and guilt is never 100%.
Rich3232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Rich3232
Member since 2012 • 2628 Posts
No.MrPraline
WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts
[QUOTE="Zeviander"]With respect to a society that cannot maintain incarceration of dangerous criminals who could threaten the lives of it's citizenry, yes, I wholeheartedly support it, as no criminal should be capable of breaking the law once caught and tried. In a society with the ability to keep a dangerous criminal incarcerated, I oppose it out of the reasoning that no guilt is 100%, even with DNA evidence. Ethically, the death penalty is not something I would support, as the state given the above circumstances, should not be capable of determining the death of a citizen. Emotionally, I freely admit that I support the concept of revenge and a victim pursuing action against the person who wronged them. Legally, it isn't right, but that implies the person taking revenge gets caught.

You do realize that while the State carries out the sentence, it is a jury of peers that sentence someone to death right?
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

No. It's pointless with 0 positives and the only people for it are bloodthirsty savages.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Zeviander
I find your ideas more scary than the state determining death.LJS9502_basic
You find it scary that I do not find it emotionally abhorrent that people would want to get revenge for a wrong made against them? Have you been unassociated with humanity your entire life? Revenge doesn't imply killing someone, nor am I against the legal ramifications of revenge and vigilante justice.
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Zeviander
You do realize that while the State carries out the sentence, it is a jury of peers that sentence someone to death right?WhiteKnight77
A jury that is selected by the prosecution and defense to best stereotype their client for a successful case. A state justice system, whether appointed by a government (i.e. a judge) or a jury of peers selected by the lawyers, does not have an ethical right to determine the death of another human being due to the inability to prove guilt 100% (i.e. and possibly execute an innocent person).
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]I find your ideas more scary than the state determining death.Zeviander
You find it scary that I do not find it emotionally abhorrent that people would want to get revenge for a wrong made against them? Have you been unassociated with humanity your entire life? Revenge doesn't imply killing someone, nor am I against the legal ramifications of revenge and vigilante justice.

[QUOTE="Zeviander"] Emotionally, I freely admit that I support the concept of revenge and a victim pursuing action against the person who wronged them. Legally, it isn't right, but that implies the person taking revenge gets caught.

I'm just to leave this right here.....
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

No. There's a chance that you can get it wrong, and that's not a chance that should be taken. And it's more expensive than indefinite incarceration.

"Justice" system, not "vengeance".

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#39 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

3. DNA makes that less and less likelyLJS9502_basic

Yet there is still a chance of error and if there is even a small chance of error, it makes more sense to err on the side of avoiding executing inoccent people. After all, the death penalty is in no way neccessary, so it's not really worth the risk.

4. It's not he death sentence nor the execution that are more costly...it's the appeals process.LJ

Regardless of the reasons for the costs, those costs still exist, making the dealth penalty the less cost effective option.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] 3. DNA makes that less and less likelyGreySeal9

Yet there is still a chance of error and if there is even a small chance of error, it makes more sense to err on the side of avoiding executing inoccent people. After all, the death penalty is in no way neccessary, so it's not really worth the risk.

4. It's not he death sentence nor the execution that are more costly...it's the appeals process.LJ

Regardless of the reasons for the costs, those costs still exist, making the dealth penalty the less cost effective option.

But both my points are correct...
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] 3. DNA makes that less and less likelyLJS9502_basic

I didn't say your statements were not correct. I'm simply saying that those statements don't really work as an argument in favor of the death penalty, however correct they may be.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

I didn't say your statements were not correct. I'm simply saying that those statements don't really work as an argument in favor of the death penalty, however correct they may be.

They weren't intended to be used a such.:|
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] But both my points are correct...LJS9502_basic

Ah, ok. I just assumed they were because of the particular post you responded to.

But anyway, what I've never understood is why some people (not you) think it's neccesary to have a death penalty even in spite of the risk of killing innocent people and the added costs. What makes the death penalty so valuable that killing innocent people and spending more money is desirable?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

Ah, ok. I just assumed they were because of the particular post you responded to.

But anyway, what I've never understood is why some people (not you) think it's neccesary to have a death penalty even in spite of the risk of killing innocent people and the added costs. What makes the death penalty so valuable that killing innocent people and spending more money is desirable?

Sometimes it's okay to just poke at an argument without needing to be vested in the position. I don't know. I'm just not for the death penalty in general. I don't like abortion and I'd be a hypocrite to be for the death penalty....though there are those that do hold that double standard. I just like to have more integrity than that.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] They weren't intended to be used a such.:|LJS9502_basic

Sometimes it's okay to just poke at an argument without needing to be vested in the position. I don't know. I'm just not for the death penalty in general. I don't like abortion and I'd be a hypocrite to be for the death penalty....though there are those that do hold that double standard. I just like to have more integrity than that.

I'm not into that myself, but different strokes and all that. 

But props for actually taking the sanctity of life seriously unlike some prolifers.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

As long as the person is removed from society for the rest of their life, I support whatever method is the cheapest

Slashless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

#48 Slashless
Member since 2011 • 9534 Posts
No because: 1. Costs more to kill them then to keep them alive. 2. Wrongful convictions. 3. This is the 21st century.
--Anna--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 --Anna--
Member since 2007 • 4636 Posts

Yes, kill them all...and let God  separate the innocent.

Avatar image for Lord_Omikron666
Lord_Omikron666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Lord_Omikron666
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

Don't know, and don't really care whether these criminals are incarcerated or given the death sentence.