The Conjuring is getting a spinoff.

#1 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16767 posts) -

Here's the trailer.

Don't know how I feel about this. I despised the Conjuring (thought it was a generic, useless piece of shit) but I will say that the doll in it was pretty creepy. Might actually be interested to see what it's about at least, but I don't think I have high hopes for this one.

Thoughts?

#2 Posted by Master_Live (14668 posts) -

I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment that The Conjuring was a piece of shit of movie. This just looks like more of the same.

#3 Posted by SaintLeonidas (26281 posts) -

'The Conjuring' was great. This looks pointless.

#4 Edited by lamprey263 (23973 posts) -

Nice, I didn't like the Conjuring like everybody else did, I mean I enjoyed it but it was nowhere as good as the hype of the time suggests. But I remember thinking the paranormal researchers with that room full of possessed relics had potential for more stories. Funny though they should make a sequel about the doll though, it was kind of already featured in the first film. I'll watch it though.

Anyhow, Wikipedia says they're making this as well as a Conjuring sequel. I'm confused though. In the Conjuring those women let the demon into the doll thinking it was a ghost, then they went to the paranormal investigators, and they then had the doll in lockup. Anyhow, hope it's not too sucky, it could do damage to the real upcoming sequel.

#5 Edited by turtlethetaffer (16767 posts) -

@lamprey263 said:

Nice, I didn't like the Conjuring like everybody else did, I mean I enjoyed it but it was nowhere as good as the hype of the time suggests. But I remember thinking the paranormal researchers with that room full of possessed relics had potential for more stories. Funny though they should make a sequel about the doll though, it was kind of already featured in the first film. I'll watch it though.

Anyhow, Wikipedia says they're making this as well as a Conjuring sequel. I'm confused though. In the Conjuring those women let the demon into the doll thinking it was a ghost, then they went to the paranormal investigators, and they then had the doll in lockup. Anyhow, hope it's not too sucky, it could do damage to the real upcoming sequel.

I didn't find a single redeeming quality of the first movie. Literally everything in has been done a million times before, and done better. It was boring and stupid. At least with the spinoff it looks like there might be a more human element to it judging from the trailer.

#6 Posted by SaintLeonidas (26281 posts) -

@turtlethetaffer said:

I didn't find a single redeeming quality of the first movie. Literally everything in has been done a million times before, and done better. It was boring and stupid. At least with the spinoff it looks like there might be a more human element to it judging from the trailer.

Oh, you mean when EVERYONE died? LMAO.

#7 Posted by indzman (17832 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment that The Conjuring was a piece of shit of movie. This just looks like more of the same.

#8 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (17409 posts) -

Absolutely LOVE The Conjuring. Don't care that it wasn't the most original film. It still managed to be the scariest movie I have seen and I think it completely raised the bar for the haunted house genre.

Will likely check out this spinoff. Hope it doesn't suck. More interested in the sequel though.

#9 Edited by SaintLeonidas (26281 posts) -

@LostProphetFLCL said:

Don't care that it wasn't the most original film.

But horror movies have to be original! Hence why the TC is so interested to see a movie about a serial killer's soul entering a dolls body...

#10 Posted by XilePrincess (13130 posts) -

I thought the first one was okay. Just your run-of-the-mill cheap horror movie. I kind of have a thing against dolls though. Chucky is okay because he's cartoonish, but after watching Dead Silence I can't stand anything to do with dolls or dummies. I'll probably watch it though.

#11 Posted by Behardy24 (4241 posts) -

Not into horror movies and I never watched the Conjuring, so not interested.

#12 Posted by Gaming-Planet (14022 posts) -

These kind of movies are just a noise fest.

#13 Edited by lamprey263 (23973 posts) -

@turtlethetaffer said:

"literally"? I think you mean figuratively.

It doesn't have to be a deep masterpiece, just enjoyable, can't go out and reinvent the wheel, sometimes formulaic works for some things just to achieve a decent level of entertainment. I'm not defending it as great or anything, the movie was awfully hyped when it came out and even after. I didn't think it was great, but it was entertaining.

I love horror movies, and I've done my fair share of scraping the bottom of the barrel with all the shit on Netflix. Compared to that the Conjuring wasn't that bad. Just finding something that isn't truly awful is enough for me to be satisfied.

#14 Posted by sukraj (22861 posts) -

The conjuring was a decent film not the best but it was watchable so ill be paying attention this film.

#15 Edited by Korvus (3853 posts) -

The conjuring was not that bad, but I can never get into the mood with horror movies; I find them entertaining but the "horror" is never there for me. It's all blablabla, jump scare.

That being said, so far Anabelle (the movie, not the doll...well, the doll too, but the actual one is hillarious XD) looks terrible....

@SaintLeonidas said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

Don't care that it wasn't the most original film.

But horror movies have to be original! Hence why the TC is so interested to see a movie about a serial killer's soul entering a dolls body...

Touché XD

@lamprey263: Sadly enough, thanks to Merriam-Webster, literally can now mean figuratively as well >_>

#16 Posted by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

Will we ever get a REAL horror movie?

#17 Posted by jasean79 (2374 posts) -

I liked the Conjuring, saw it in the movies which helped with the scare factor. Not a big fan of horror movies, but this one was actually decent. Would I see a spinoff? Probably not.

#18 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16767 posts) -

@SaintLeonidas: When I said it looks like it might not suck I meant that it looks like the doll could be the catalyst for events but not the cause.

#19 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16767 posts) -

@lamprey263 said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

"literally"? I think you mean figuratively.

It doesn't have to be a deep masterpiece, just enjoyable, can't go out and reinvent the wheel, sometimes formulaic works for some things just to achieve a decent level of entertainment. I'm not defending it as great or anything, the movie was awfully hyped when it came out and even after. I didn't think it was great, but it was entertaining.

I love horror movies, and I've done my fair share of scraping the bottom of the barrel with all the shit on Netflix. Compared to that the Conjuring wasn't that bad. Just finding something that isn't truly awful is enough for me to be satisfied.

No I do mean literally. I get that not all movies have to be original, and that formulaic movies can, in fact, work.I get that. But the hype surrounding the movie made me hate it more simply because the haunted house/ exorcism movie sub genre is already over saturated and Conjuring did nothing (at least in my eyes) to make it even a smidge unpredictable. Every single scare, plot point, character act was easily predictable.

And predictable movies can work sometimes too. But with this one, it just didn't. IDK. Maybe I'm bitter because it got so much attention and people ere acting like it was wildly original when it wasn't at all. That and it overshadowed the amazing movie that is You're Next. You're Next took genre cliches and flipped them on their head, while The Conjuring was about by the book as a haunted house/ exorcism movie can be.

#20 Posted by helwa1988 (2098 posts) -

The real story of the conjuring is actually scarier than the movie. Ed and Lorraine warren actually wrote a book about all their demon experiences. Even if you are not a believer in it, the book will definitely creep you out.