This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by playmynutz (5981 posts) -

No offense to anyone but I found it interesting the Jehovah Witness released a 2013 revised version of the bible.

JW Bible

Any other projects on revising the bible?

I recommend qbible

#2 Edited by theone86 (20555 posts) -

I'm working on my own, it would include stories like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbzc8rOgMsA

#3 Posted by Master_Live (14195 posts) -

Awesome, it always good to revise and update the word of our Lord.

#4 Posted by playmynutz (5981 posts) -

@theone86 said:

I'm working on my own, it would include stories like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbzc8rOgMsA

Awesome, it always good to revise and update the word of our Lord.

I agree. You two, are wonderful people.

#5 Posted by foxhound_fox (87725 posts) -

"Revised Word of God"

How quaint.

#7 Posted by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -

The bible was originally not written as a full book.
They were originally kept as scrolls, known today as "The Dead Sea Scrolls";

Over time, kings/popes have added/removed scrolls from the book known as "The Bible", creating different revisions.
Sometimes, new books/scripture are written and added, King James did a lot of that.

I'm not really surprised that a sect of Christianity decided to edit the "word of god" to fit their beliefs.

#9 Posted by playmynutz (5981 posts) -

Over time, kings/popes have added/removed scrolls from the book known as "The Bible", creating different revisions.

Sometimes, new books/scripture are written and added, King James did a lot of that.

I'm not really surprised that a sect of Christianity decided to edit the "word of god" to fit their beliefs.

That is impressive @Nibroc420 , I did not know the bible fascinated you :-)

#10 Posted by lumzi32 (326 posts) -

Well yeah, until the time of the apostles the books of the bible were written by different people over time, inspired by God.

You are going to have to tell me which books "King James" added to the Bible because this is the first time . There are probably certain individual lines here and there that were twisted or added to in KJV but from what I understand those are very few in number. There were certainly not entire books added.

#11 Posted by Young_Charter (19846 posts) -

@lumzi32 said:

@Nibroc420 said:

Well yeah, until the time of the apostles the books of the bible were written by different people over time, inspired by God.

You are going to have to tell me which books "King James" added to the Bible because this is the first time . There are probably certain individual lines here and there that were twisted or added to in KJV but from what I understand those are very few in number. There were certainly not entire books added.

Yeah I did hear not all books were added. But I did not know they were originally kept as scrolls. Wow.

#12 Edited by -Renegade (8340 posts) -

a book containing the word of god not written by god interesting

#13 Posted by lumzi32 (326 posts) -

@lumzi32 said:

@Nibroc420 said:

Yeah I did hear not all books were added. But I did not know they were originally kept as scrolls. Wow.

Well books weren't common (or in existence?) when much of the Bible was written, so yeah, scrolls. Also the dead sea scrolls, from my understanding, aren't the only copies of biblical scrolls in existence. They are merely among the most recently discovered (sometime in the 40's and 50's according to the internet).

#14 Posted by girlshavefuntoo (120 posts) -

If the bible is the word of god why does it have to be revised all the time?

#15 Edited by Master_Live (14195 posts) -

So what? When He is using us as his instrument then it is as if He is making the revisions himself.

#16 Posted by toast_burner (21450 posts) -

Only the ignorant claim that. The bible like mentioned above is merely a compilation of stories that were chosen by kings, they cut out lots of stories and edited it quite a bit, it's also full of translation errors.

#17 Posted by mindstorm (15242 posts) -

I cannot speak for anything Jehovah's Witnesses do but I can say that the Bible is not being revised in the sense you speak of. All modern translations, with exceptions of those from Jehovah's Witnesses, are based upon the Greek and Hebrew text which is not changing. What is changing would be the translations of those texts. Language changes with time and speaking with certain language can become outdated. Not only this but different Bible translations fulfill different roles. For instance, the NASB is more literal in nature while the NIV is more paraphrased in translation. The former is thus better at studying the grammar while the latter is better at reading through quickly. That said, those individual translations do often go through revisions but not in that they are changing the text of Scripture but they are seeking to make the translations more faithful to the translations.

#18 Posted by playmynutz (5981 posts) -

I cannot speak for anything Jehovah's Witnesses do but I can say that the Bible is not being revised in the sense you speak of. All modern translations, with exceptions of those from Jehovah's Witnesses, are based upon the Greek and Hebrew text which is not changing. What is changing would be the translations of those texts. Language changes with time and speaking with certain language can become outdated. Not only this but different Bible translations fulfill different roles. For instance, the NASB is more literal in nature while the NIV is more paraphrased in translation. The former is thus better at studying the grammar while the latter is better at reading through quickly. That said, those individual translations do often go through revisions but not in that they are changing the text of Scripture but they are seeking to make the translations more faithful to the translations.

The Jehovah Witnesses version of the bible speaks to a different crowd. I understand you bro

#19 Posted by shellcase86 (1934 posts) -

It's more of a translation than a revision. Same can be said for King James bible and other bibles. They are all just translations andas such, considered their own revisions.

#20 Posted by Young_Charter (19846 posts) -

@mindstorm said:

The Jehovah Witnesses version of the bible speaks to a different crowd. I understand you bro

That is a good way of summing it up. I understand as well.

#21 Edited by theone86 (20555 posts) -

"Religion may, in most of its forms, be described as the belief that the gods are on the side of the government."-Bertrand Russell

#23 Edited by hydralisk86 (8527 posts) -

@toast_burner said:

@girlshavefuntoo said:

Only the ignorant claim that. The bible like mentioned above is merely a compilation of stories that were chosen by kings, they cut out lots of stories and edited it quite a bit, it's also full of translation errors.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i think i remember hearing that the Dead Sea Scrolls were compared with other books of the Bible that were there hundreds of years later, the differences were minor, such as certain words that were used, way that certain phrases were said, the way that a letter was written, etc.

#24 Edited by Ribstaylor1 (436 posts) -

Every Bible sold today is a revision of something less then 0.00000001% or lower of the population can actually read. And even then like come on. Kings, Queens, worlords, politicians you name it have all shaped the different versions over time. So It's not that crazy to see someone making a new version of their own today. Why do you think their are so many branches and sects of Catholicism? All with slightly different beliefs and books.

#25 Posted by hydralisk86 (8527 posts) -

Every Bible sold today is a revision of something less then 0.00000001% or lower of the population can actually read. And even then like come on. Kings, Queens, worlords, politicians you name it have all shaped the different versions over time. So It's not that crazy to see someone making a new version of their own today. Why do you think their are so many branches and sects of Catholicism? All with slightly different beliefs and books.

even if there are revisions, does that mean that there isn't a correct version?

#26 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29107 posts) -

Unless I'm mistaken, this is an 'update' to translation, not actually adding/deleting from the text. Don't think this means 'revision' in the way some people seem to be taking it.