The Best Star Wars Film?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by SythusHD (37 posts) 6 months, 22 days ago

Poll: The Best Star Wars Film? (61 votes)

The Phantom Menace [1999] 5%
The Attack of the Clones [2002] 2%
The Revenge of the Sith [2005] 2%
A New Hope [1977] 16%
The Empire Strikes Back [1980] 62%
The Return of the Jedi [1983] 10%
#1 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2108 posts) -

The Empire Strikes Back

#2 Posted by Master_Live (13594 posts) -
#3 Posted by Star67 (3438 posts) -

Empire is considered one of the best movie sequels of all time.........it has to be Empire

#4 Posted by foxhound_fox (86821 posts) -

Star Wars

The Empire Strikes Back suffered from not having a conclusive story (as most "mid-trilogy" movies do). It's great, but nothing comes close to matching the awe-inspiring opening, adventure in the middle and explosive finish of the original. And it has Alec Guinness.

#5 Posted by themajormayor (25620 posts) -

They all stink

#6 Posted by sukraj (21604 posts) -

The original star wars

#7 Posted by Lord_Daemon (24229 posts) -

Star Wars (1977) has remained my favorite over the years.

#8 Posted by m0zart (11562 posts) -

"The Empire Strikes Back" is the best IMO, but I also love "Revenge of the Sith". Despite being among the prequels, it's my second favorite SW film.

#9 Edited by megagene (22972 posts) -

The Empire Strikes Back.

#10 Edited by Laihendi (5800 posts) -

lol at whoever voted The Phantom Menace.

#11 Edited by -ParaNormaN- (655 posts) -

Ep.3 would have been great if Lucas hadn't written Anakin to be so boring. The way he had him speak in a monotone voice and have a mopey face for the entire film was hard to watch. Especially the Palpatine vs Windu fight lol. 3 jedi dead in 3 seconds, one which wasn't even facing him when he got killed even though the shot a second before had him clearly facing Palpy with his lightsaber out lmao.

Original/New Hope takes the cake for me though.

#12 Posted by AFBrat77 (23987 posts) -

The Empire Strikes Back

agreed. The Empire Strikes Back but.....

where are the votes for Return of the Jedi?! The stupid Ewoks are the only thing that keeps this movie beneath the greatness of ESB.

#13 Posted by Namgis (3570 posts) -
@AFBrat77 said:

where are the votes for Return of the Jedi?! The stupid Ewoks are the only thing that keeps this movie beneath the greatness of ESB.

I personally would hold other elements accountable alongside the Ewoks in holding Jedi back. Like the opening sequence. Toss in a thermal detonator when everyone's sleeping, the one Leia's brandishing, and you thaw out Han in a jiff. Or Jabba's sail barge.Where Bobba Fett, one of the baddest bounty hunters in the galaxy, is killed off on what appears to be a whim. Perhaps Luke's return to the group. You know, where Leia confesses somehow she's always known they were twins. Mmmmm incest. You could also add the ending into the mix. I guess an exhaust port no bigger than a womp rat was too difficult a target, had to make it big enough for the Falcon.

I love Jedi, but it was far more flawed then Empire. I personally think Empire is the greatest SW film to date. The main aspects in my choice are the wonderful talents of Frank Oz. Yoda was truly mesmerizing and real for me when I was young. Oz is a legend and should be utilized in future SW spin offs.

#14 Posted by KHAndAnime (13137 posts) -

A New Hope. The Empire Strikes Back was good too...but I always had my issues with it. As a stand-alone film, A New Hope is preferable.

#15 Posted by the_bi99man (11024 posts) -
#16 Edited by one_plum (6297 posts) -

A New Hope.

My favourite scene is where Luke is looking at the binary sunset. That scene in particular (and the whole movie overall) calls for the adventurer in all of us.

#17 Edited by hydralisk86 (8493 posts) -

@one_plum said:

A New Hope.

My favourite scene is where Luke is looking at the binary sunset. That scene in particular (and the whole movie overall) calls for the adventurer in all of us.

The Battle of Endor (I think that was what it was called) was exciting for me. X wings and TIE fighters battling it out next to huge craft like Star Destroyers and the Rebel Alliance ships was cool.

#18 Posted by benleslie5 (7691 posts) -

I thought The Empire Strikes Back was really good in the Star Wars series

#19 Posted by ferrari2001 (16675 posts) -

The Empire Strikes Back followed by The Revenge of the Sith.

#20 Posted by Bardock47 (5146 posts) -

Empire Strikes Back, easily. Not just an amazing Star Wars movie, but just an amazing movie in general.

#21 Edited by Smashbrossive50 (2876 posts) -

A New Hope,because of this.

if I were to chose Revenge,I always think of this catchy theme where Anakin became Darth Vader in the end of the movie

#22 Posted by 187umKILLAH (1334 posts) -

I always preferred Return of the Jedi, mainly for the speeder bike scene and rancor fight.

#23 Posted by Behardy24 (2294 posts) -

I like all Star Wars film but i thought New Hope was the best because i can remember it that best and it has the best re-watch value out of all the Star Wars Movies.

#24 Posted by plageus900 (911 posts) -

Empire Strikes Back

#25 Posted by MrGeezer (55936 posts) -

My ranking, in order of preference...

1) Empire Strikes Back

2) A New Hope

3) Revenge of the Sith

4) Return of the Jedi

5) Attack of the Clones

6) The Phantom Menace

#26 Posted by sukraj (21604 posts) -

I thought The Empire Strikes Back was really good in the Star Wars series

yes it was vely good imo.

#27 Posted by lamprey263 (22417 posts) -
#28 Posted by Master_Live (13594 posts) -

@MrGeezer said:

My ranking, in order of preference...

1) Empire Strikes Back

2) A New Hope

3) Revenge of the Sith

4) Return of the Jedi

5) Attack of the Clones

6) The Phantom Menace

This but Clones below Menace.

#29 Posted by M8ingSeezun (1951 posts) -

A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back for me.

Return of the Jedi was simply bad and a foreshadow of the horribleness yet to come with the Prequels.

#30 Edited by bforrester420 (999 posts) -

@ShepardCommandr said:

The Empire Strikes Back

First movie I ever saw in a theater. I was 2 or 3 years old and TERRIFIED of the noise from the sound system.

I've still not watched Revenge of the Sith. After Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones, I had no interest in finishing the prequels.

#31 Posted by bowchicka07 (1069 posts) -

Empire all the way.

#32 Edited by LoG-Sacrament (20387 posts) -

i like the empire strikes back the most. it has great action scenes ranging in scale from the big rebel base assault in the beginning all the way down to the duel at the end. i think the chemistry between my favorite characters of the series, han solo and princess leia, is at its best too. it has the best line in the series, "i know." plus there's a pretty popular moment between skywalker and darth vader too.

it shows that the movies don't really need a definitive beginning or end for an overarching story. people just want to be in that world (galaxy, i suppose). it's similar to what lucas and spielberg would go on to do with the indiana jones movies. it doesn't really matter what jones is doing. you just want to go along for the ride.

#33 Posted by RoccoHout (971 posts) -

The Empire Strikes Back followed by The Revenge of the Sith.

My answer aswell.

#34 Posted by curono (7710 posts) -

They all stink

You! Go to the corner and put on the cone of shame!

#35 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (7691 posts) -
#36 Posted by spike6958 (4650 posts) -
  1. Empire Strikes Back
  2. Revenge of the Sith
  3. A New Hope
  4. Return of the Jedi
  5. Attack of the Clones
  6. The Phantom Menace