The Assault Weapon Myth

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

@airshocker said:

@Serraph105 said:

@airshocker said:

@Serraph105 said:

@airshocker: It's as you said handguns do the majority of the damage, yet if I said we should reduce the amount of available handguns in this country I have no doubt you would oppose that too.

Sorry about the delayed reply. I was banned.

I would oppose any attempts to lower the amount of legal handguns in this country.

Sorry to hear you were banned.

Ah well, what are you gonna' do when the mods are more concerned with banning regular users instead of ban dodgers?

set up an alternate account I suppose.

True that. If you aren't stupid and don't act like your old self, the mods will never know.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#52 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

I wouldn't consider a magazine that holds 10 rounds to be "high-capacity", I would consider it mid-capacity. I could see banning magazine that hold more than 20 rounds, but banning magazines that hold 10 rounds or 7 rounds can interfere with a person's ability to protect himself, especially against multiple aggressors.

Also there should be a clear definition of what constitutes an "assault weapon", namely I would say that an "assault weapon" must have a few characteristics in order to merit the term: 1) a certain magazine capacity 2) a certain rate of fire 3) a certain accuracy 4) it has to be light enough that a person can carry it easily and quickly, if it's a heavy weapon that can't be carried for an extended period of time and instead has to placed on a position, then it is a weapon designed for holding a position, not storming one and hence isn't an "assault weapon".

@thegerg said:

I think the primary reason for such a position in the general public is ignorance. People simply don't know the reality of the situation, or what these weapons actually are. I've been told here on GS that no one should have a high caliber gun like an AR-15, they should have a 9mm instead.

Law makers generally want to be seen as "tough on crime", and big, scary assault weapons are a pretty easy target.

Do 9mm have higher calibers than the AR-15? It seems to me that you are hinting at that.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#54 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

@thegerg said:

@whipassmt: 9mm guns only have one caliber, and it's considerably larger than the caliber round that an AR-15 fires. My point is simply that a great number of people don't really know what they're talking about when it comes to this topic.

Okay. I didn't know about that, but from the way your post was worded I figured that 9mm actually have a higher caliber than the "high caliber" AR-15s that those people are so opposed to.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#55  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@Audacitron said:

The illegal market is fueled by the legal market.

Switzerland has a MANDATORY gun ownership law, for all citizens to keep their fully automatic assault rifles maintained, in their homes, ready to be used at any time, and their gun-related murder rate isn't anywhere near that of the US. There is substantially more at play in the US besides the tools people use to kill each other.

You have no fucking idea what you are talking about m8. You should read up on Switzerland's guns laws before saying such crap. Comparing Switzerland to the US is such an intellectually shallow argument that ignores millions of different variables.

For one if you are Swiss it's not legal to store your gun so it's "ready to be used at any time". Ammo and the gun are ALWAYS stored separately in locked cabinets. Also getting a gun permit to carry outside is damn near impossible unless you work in some kind of security job. Soldiers might be open carrying but those are also unloaded. Transporting guns is a bigger hassle since again, you can't have ammo and the actual gun together. Carrying a gun or even talking about carrying a gun out in public in Switzerland will get you funny looks.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#57  Edited By MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

I can't speak for Audacitron, but personally I'm not interested in reducing death by illegal guns vs legal guns, instead I'm interested in reducing the number of death by guns. So long as that number is greatly reduced it doesn't matter much to me whether or not the remaining number is done by illegal or legally obtained guns.

Say if we managed to reduce the 11000 deaths per year to 2000, but the number of deaths by illegally guns obtained guns rose from 500-800 we would still be substantially better off.

Doesn't matter, the assault weapons ban still did nothing. Let's suppose for a minute that around 300 people are killed each year by an "assault weapon". Banning them still accomplishes nothing if the people who otherwise would have committed murder with an "assault weapon" can just go out and legally buy a functionally equivalent gun. A few guns get banned, people just go and buy a different gun.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#58 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@Audacitron said:

Switzerland has a MANDATORY gun ownership law, for all citizens to keep their fully automatic assault rifles maintained, in their homes, ready to be used at any time, and their gun-related murder rate isn't anywhere near that of the US. There is substantially more at play in the US besides the tools people use to kill each other.

You have no fucking idea what you are talking about m8. You should read up on Switzerland's guns laws before saying such crap. Comparing Switzerland to the US is such an intellectually shallow argument that ignores millions of different variables.

For one if you are Swiss it's not legal to store your gun so it's "ready to be used at any time". Ammo and the gun are ALWAYS stored separately in locked cabinets. Also getting a gun permit to carry outside is damn near impossible unless you work in some kind of security job. Soldiers might be open carrying but those are also unloaded. Transporting guns is a bigger hassle since again, you can't have ammo and the actual gun together. Carrying a gun or even talking about carrying a gun out in public in Switzerland will get you funny looks.

I didn't say loaded.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#59  Edited By bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

@whipassmt said:

@thegerg said:

@whipassmt: 9mm guns only have one caliber, and it's considerably larger than the caliber round that an AR-15 fires. My point is simply that a great number of people don't really know what they're talking about when it comes to this topic.

Okay. I didn't know about that, but from the way your post was worded I figured that 9mm actually have a higher caliber than the "high caliber" AR-15s that those people are so opposed to.

The difference is that although the actual bullet in an AR-15 is smaller than a 9mm in caliber, it travels at a considerably higher velocity, translating to considerably more energy from their bullet hitting their target.

The muzzle velocity ceiling for 9mm rounds is approx. 16-1700 ft per second. A .223 round, those fired from AR-15s, travel as high as 4000 ft. per second.

High Caliber, in regards to the AR-15 round, is a misrepresentation. High powered (velocity) is what, I believe, that statement intends to convey.

redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#60 redstorm72
Member since 2008 • 4646 Posts

Mericn's and their guns. *sigh*

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts
@MrGeezer said:

@Serraph105 said:

I can't speak for Audacitron, but personally I'm not interested in reducing death by illegal guns vs legal guns, instead I'm interested in reducing the number of death by guns. So long as that number is greatly reduced it doesn't matter much to me whether or not the remaining number is done by illegal or legally obtained guns.

Say if we managed to reduce the 11000 deaths per year to 2000, but the number of deaths by illegally guns obtained guns rose from 500-800 we would still be substantially better off.

Doesn't matter, the assault weapons ban still did nothing. Let's suppose for a minute that around 300 people are killed each year by an "assault weapon". Banning them still accomplishes nothing if the people who otherwise would have committed murder with an "assault weapon" can just go out and legally buy a functionally equivalent gun. A few guns get banned, people just go and buy a different gun.

And Serraph's position is, "we should ban more guns." Like most anti-gun people's arguments.

So, im still confused as hell about Airshocker's argument that this is evidence that assault rifles should be unbanned, when most anti-gun people want to ban guns even further. Most pro-gun people want to allow more guns.

How surprising.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#62  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@Audacitron said:

I didn't say loaded.

Then that's not ready to be used at any time now is it? I forgot to mention fully automatic weapons are completely illegal in Switzerland.

edit: sorry if I seem like a jerk don't take it personally. I just really dislike the whole Switzerland-US analogy when it's so misleading.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

So guns should be banned altogether, whether they be handguns or assault rifles. In any given population of a decent state with an adequately functioning law enforcement system, a very small percentage of the population would need to carry guns for legitimate self defense reasons. These should be granted permits to own and carry guns, but even these permits should be highly regulated and specific with regards to the privileges of these gun owners provisioned in guns ownership laws.

Its funny that there is a decades old, intense "debate" about the issue in the U.S that gets people all worked up rather periodically it seems.

SoftwareGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#64  Edited By SoftwareGeek
Member since 2014 • 573 Posts

Ban lethal ammo. Gun owners get to keep guns. lethal ammo becomes harder to obtain. Won't solve everything but I believe it is likely to put a big dent in gun murders that aren't premeditated.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By MrGeezer

@XaosII said:

And Serraph's position is, "we should ban more guns." Like most anti-gun people's arguments.

So, im still confused as hell about Airshocker's argument that this is evidence that assault rifles should be unbanned, when most anti-gun people want to ban guns even further. Most pro-gun people want to allow more guns.

How surprising.

Actually, this is about "assault weapons", not assault rifles.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the ban expire, with subsequent attempts to reinstate it all failing? If that's the case, then it's not about "unbanning" anything, since they're already unbanned. The question is whether or not to ban them again, something which would be entirely pointless regardless of how "anti-gun" you are.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

@XaosII said:
@MrGeezer said:

@Serraph105 said:

How surprising.

My position is that we should look for ways to lower the rate of death by guns in America. I only care that the solution is effective on a measurable level. According to Airshocker handguns are used the majority of the time so that would suggest making handguns less available would be quite effective. I actually contest Geezer's point of view that suddenly far more people will be carrying large guns around in the absence of smaller guns mostly because there is a stigma about walking around a neighborhood with a giant gun strapped to your back. Not to mention it's far less convenient.

That being said I'm also okay with the ban on lethal ammo that SoftwareGeek suggested above or universal background checks would also be a solution that could be implemented.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By MrGeezer

@Serraph105 said:

My position is that we should look for ways to lower the rate of death by guns in America. I only care that the solution is effective on a measurable level. According to Airshocker handguns are used the majority of the time so that would suggest making handguns less available would be quite effective. I actually contest Geezer's point of view that suddenly far more people will be carrying large guns around in the absence of smaller guns mostly because there is a stigma about walking around a neighborhood with a giant gun strapped to your back. Not to mention it's far less convenient.

That being said I'm also okay with the ban on lethal ammo that SoftwareGeek suggested above or universal background checks would also be a solution that could be implemented.

Uh...what? I never said anything like that.

EDIT: Ah, wait, I get it. I thought you were saying that you were for lowering gun deaths by banning assault weapons, when you were REALLY saying that you were for banning handguns. Therefore, when I said "doesn't matter, people will just buy a different gun", you thought I was saying that banning HANDGUNS would result in people going out and buying rifles or something instead.

Simple misunderstanding on my part, and I agree with you. I've been careful to say that the assault weapons ban was pointless because it didn't also ban FUNCTIONALLY EQUIVALENT guns. And yes, I agree that things like rifles and shotguns are not FUNCTIONALLY EQUIVALENT to handguns, so a ban on handguns isn't gonna see most people just going out and buying rifles and shotguns instead. If the rifle you want gets banned under the assault weapons legislation, you might just go out and buy a different rifle. But if the pistol that you want gets banned, then there's a good chance that you won't go buy a rifle instead, since that doesn't have what you need in a gun. For example, handguns are usually smaller than rifles and shotguns, can be concealed more easily, and are more convenient to carry around. As a result, a lot of gun deaths are not premeditated, they just result from someone carrying a handgun "just in case" and then finding an opportunity to use it. Well, carrying around a large rifle is more inconvenient than carrying around a much smaller pistol, and that inconvenience makes it less likely for many people to switch their handguns out for rifles. A lot of them will just say, "**** it, carrying a gun is too much work."

So yeah, I actually agree with you (aside from you WANTING handguns to be banned).