The Academy Awards 2012: Nomination Talk

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Game__Raider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Game__Raider
Member since 2006 • 4619 Posts

So its that time of the year again. I know we still have a month left till the year is out, I think we can start to form a good picture of what the race will be looking like. Just give your toughts on who you think will be nominated in each category and an explanation why. You know the drill, its simple.

For best picture so far only a few have stood out to me. Hugo was fantastic, as well as Ides of March and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2(yes i will argue this point with you, call me crazy i think it deserves AT LEAST a nomination). Although I am really excited to see what Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy is like. With an all-star cast like that it won't disappoint.

For Best Actor it has to be down to George Clooney(he has 2 possible roles here), DeCaprio was phenomenal in J. Edgar even though the movie was a letdown, and I guarantee someone from Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy is nominated. Who it will be remains to be seen.

For Best Supporting Actor I really like Ben Kingsley from Hugo, Armie Hammer from J. Edgar, and Alan Rickman from HPDHP2. J. Edgar had some phenomenal acting but the movie itself just fell up short. And Alan Rickman has always been a genius I think its about time he gets some recognition.

Lief_Ericson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Lief_Ericson
Member since 2005 • 7082 Posts

Drive

Game__Raider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Game__Raider

I never saw that I heard it was good though.

PandaTrueno86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 PandaTrueno86
Member since 2009 • 1611 Posts

I'd be pissed if Senna doesn't at least get a nomination for Best Documentary.

iloverikku11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 iloverikku11
Member since 2005 • 11039 Posts

As much as I would like the Academy to recognize Hugo, Tree of Life and Drive, they are not the type of films to win, Academy prefers independent dramas rather than art house or mainsteam (Hugo). All the buzz right now is around The Artist and although I haven't seen it yet, premise sounds amazing and I have a feeling it will be something special. The surest bets are The Descendants, Moneyball, and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, at least in my opinion.

lloveLamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lloveLamp
Member since 2009 • 2891 Posts
im gonna make a guess for gary oldman best actor
Game__Raider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Game__Raider

As much as I would like the Academy to recognize Hugo, Tree of Life and Drive, they are not the type of films to win, Academy prefers independent dramas rather than art house or mainsteam (Hugo). All the buzz right now is around The Artist and although I haven't seen it yet, premise sounds amazing and I have a feeling it will be something special. The surest bets are The Descendants, Moneyball, and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, at least in my opinion.

iloverikku11

Moneyball was amazing I forgot about that one. I will add that to Best Picture and Brad Pitt for Best Actor on my lists.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

Best Picture is going to be between 'The Descedants', 'War Horse' or 'The Artist'. Best Actor will come down to Clooney or Dujardin. Best Actress will go to either Meryl Streep or Viola Davis. Christopher Plummer seems to have the Best Supporting Actor category locked, and Best Supporting Actress will go to someone from 'The Help'.

iloverikku11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 iloverikku11

Meryl Streep is in a movie? She has it in the bag.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SaintLeonidas

Meryl Streep is in a movie? She has it in the bag.

iloverikku11
Not just any movie, but a historical drama where she plays Margaret Thatcher. Everyone else might as well not show up.
dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

Wonder what will get best animated picture

Usually Pixar as it in the bag, but with Cars 2...

Yeah, if Cars 2 wins it I will call bull*****:evil:

So, I wonder who will win. Rango?, If Ariety was released sooner in the US,

Ghibli probable could have snatched 2 academy awards(Disney, did you push it back on purpose:evil: )

iloverikku11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 iloverikku11

Ghibli probable could have snatched 2 academy awards(Disney, did you push it back on purpose:evil: )

dercoo

Adventures of Tintin would like a word with you.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#13 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

I would love for Deathly Hallows Part II to be a serious contender, but I doubt it.

LORD_BLACKGULT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LORD_BLACKGULT
Member since 2006 • 947 Posts

Drive should get at least a nomination... can't decide for what though.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SaintLeonidas

dercoo
Rango and Tintin seem to be the two front runners in that category.
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SaintLeonidas

I would love for Deathly Hallows Part II to be a serious contender, but I doubt it.

GreySeal9

There is a slight chance it gets a Best Picture nomination. It is one of the years best reviewed films and there seems to be a feeling that it is time for the Academy to finally, while they still have the chance, give the series some recognition.

Drive should get at least a nomination... can't decide for what though.

LORD_BLACKGULT

At the moment it seems like Albert Brooks will most definitely be getting a nomination for Best Supporting Actor.

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dercoo

[QUOTE="dercoo"]

iloverikku11

Adventures of Tintin would like a word with you.

:lol:

Was just about to edit my post for that, seriously, I do think that will win(that or Rango)

Still can't believe Disney pushed the release date for Arrietty to Feb 2012

Seriously could have snatched Ghibli a much deserved 2nd oscar win, film was Awesome. Reminded me so much of Totoro in tone

Disney, I swear you pushed the release back on purpose:evil:

Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Film-Guy
Member since 2007 • 26778 Posts

For best picture I would like to see Take Shelter win best picture. It's a terrific film. Best actor wise I think Brendan Gleeson for The Guard, Michael Shannon for Take Shelter, Woody Harrelson for Rampart, and Joseph Gordon Levitt for 50/50 would be my main choices. Actress wise I think Vera Farmiga for Higher Ground would be my main choices. She was fantastic and the film portrayed a religous character with depth for once. Saoirise Ronan was great in Hanna too, and Mia Wasikowska for Jane Eyre was quite good too.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GreySeal9

For best picture I would like to see Take Shelter win best picture. It's a terrific film. Best actor wise I think Brendan Gleeson for The Guard, Michael Shannon for Take Shelter, Woody Harrelson for Rampart, and Joseph Gordon Levitt for 50/50 would be my main choices. Actress wise I think Vera Farmiga for Higher Ground would be my main choices. She was fantastic and the film portrayed a religous character with depth for once. Saoirise Ronan was great in Hanna too, and Mia Wasikowska for Jane Eyre was quite good too.

Film-Guy

Have you read the book?

Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Film-Guy

[QUOTE="Film-Guy"]

GreySeal9

Have you read the book?

A while ago back in high school. I am planning on re reading it soon once I'm done with the book I'm reading. The 2011 version is definitely one of the best adaptations. I remember enjoying the book though not as much as a couple other books I read back then.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="Film-Guy"]

Film-Guy

Have you read the book?

A while ago back in high school. I am planning on re reading it soon once I'm done with the book I'm reading. The 2011 version is definitely one of the best adaptations. I remember enjoying the book though not as much as a couple other books I read back then.

Will have to go see it. I found alot of the issues the book present to be compelling.

Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Film-Guy

[QUOTE="Film-Guy"]

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

Have you read the book?

GreySeal9

Will have to go see it. I found alot of the issues the book present to be compelling.

There was also a very good adaptation of the book in 1983. It was a mini series I think and it had Timothy Dalton.

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#23 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts
I wonder if Brad Pitt will get two acting nods this year: one supporting for Tree of Life and one lead for Moneyball. He definitely deserves one for the former. I really don't care either way. I'm tired of the Oscars, and how they're more concerned about picking a film that best suits their overall tastes (sappy historical dramas/biopics, Clint Eastwood, etc.). Knowing that Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close likely has a greater chance for nominations than Drive, Tree of Life, or Take Shelter is case in point.
TonyDanzaFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TonyDanzaFan
Member since 2010 • 2973 Posts
Ryan Gosling in Ides of March. God, he is so damn good. I thought Drive was a let down though. I really haven't seen a movie this year that was best picture worthy. Kind of a boring year for great movies. My favorite movie was probably Money Ball.
hesel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 hesel
Member since 2006 • 2738 Posts

PandaTrueno86
Prepare to be pissed. http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/nov/21/senna-kapadia-oscars-2012 I seriously don't know how Senna can't be nominated in the shortlist.
ScreamDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ScreamDream
Member since 2006 • 3953 Posts

GreySeal9

I really enjoyed it but I think you are right.

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dercoo

GreySeal9

If it actually sticked more with the book, it would have been

Yates is the worst Harry Potter director,he does not deserve reconition for that

PandaTrueno86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 PandaTrueno86
Member since 2009 • 1611 Posts

[QUOTE="PandaTrueno86"]

hesel

Prepare to be pissed. http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/nov/21/senna-kapadia-oscars-2012 I seriously don't know how Senna can't be nominated in the shortlist.

An outrage!

soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

dercoo

I agree. I haven't even seen Cars 2 yet, but I just have this feeling that it's going to disappoint me like the first one did. I vote for Rio because that was entertaining.

Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
"Man or Muppet" for best song!
sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts
I'm hoping for a Best Picture/Director nod for Hugo.
Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#32 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

I don't like how the Academy changed the BP rule again. Why couldn't they pick ten movies to get some recognition? It's like saying there isn't ten movies that are good enough to get the title, even if some are filler.

EVOLV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 EVOLV3
Member since 2008 • 12210 Posts

Best Picture: 50/50

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

dercoo

Yates is the worst Harry Potter director,he does not deserve reconition for that

It was very close to the book.

Also, changes have to be made. Film and books are two very different mediums. I think if they sticked closer to the books, the films wouldn't work as well.

xXShortroundXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 xXShortroundXx
Member since 2011 • 1807 Posts

Haven't seen anything at the box office this year as it's been a crazy year for me. I think The Tree Of Life, The Separation, Poetry, Drive & Hugo look worthwhile though :D

But knowing the Academy Awards they will give it to something useless.

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 dercoo

[QUOTE="dercoo"]

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

Also, changes have to be made. Film and books are two very different mediums. I think if they sticked closer to the books, the films wouldn't work as well.

Bull *****

Where was the grand crescendo at the end, what we call a climax.

The book had it. A grand charge by an army of wizards, house elfs, and magic creatures enraged by Harry's "marter" status lunge head first at the now terrified death eaters

No, no. That was not necessary. Lets make the final battle go out with a wimper.

Wh the **** did the snke not die at the beggining of the battle? It surved no purpose but to waste 5 more bloody minutes fighting it

Don't even get me started on the final dual.

Hell, normally they have the excuse of, well we can't all fit it into 1 movie, but no. Yates had the blessing of 2 parts yet still ***** it up.

At least it was not as bad as a ***** up as he did with 6.

Oh. The charming, sparatic love stories in Harry Potter. Lets just turn it into Twilight's awkward silent styl e.:evil:

That ending, well lets just cleave the whole ****** thing off.:evil:

Some charnges are nesisary in adaptations, but not whole ***** rewrites that serve no purpose but to devalue the story

Yates is the worst HP director, hell I hope he doesn't ***** up Doctor Who next

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="dercoo"]

dercoo

Bull *****

Where was the grand crescendo at the end, what we call a climax.

The book had it. A grand charge by an army of wizards, house elfs, and magic creatures enraged by Harry's "marter" status lunge head first at the now terrified death eaters

No, no. That was not necessary. Lets make the final battle go out with a wimper.

Wh the **** did the snke not die at the beggining of the battle? It surved no purpose but to waste 5 more bloody minutes fighting it

Don't even get me started on the final dual.

Hell, normally they have the excuse of, well we can't all fit it into 1 movie, but no. Yates had the blessing of 2 parts yet still ***** it up.

At least it was not as bad as a ***** up as he did with 6.

Oh. The charming, sparatic love stories in Harry Potter. Lets just turn it into Twilight's awkward silent styl e.:evil:

That ending, well lets just cleave the whole ****** thing off.:evil:

Some charnges are nesisary in adaptations, but not whole ***** rewrites that serve no purpose but to devalue the story

Yates is the worst HP director, hell I hope he doesn't ***** up Doctor Who next

Take a look at Stephen King adaptions (which are sometimes wildly different than the book versions)and they me the HP makers don't follow the books closely. The plot that the films and the books lay out, even with the various changes, are virtually the same. Even LOTR didn't follow the books as closely as HP has.

Potter fans are lucky that they followed the books as closely as they did.

The movie did have the battle in the great hall. Maybe it wasn't done the way you would have liked, but it was there.

I don't see how the time the snake died matters at all. Those are the kind of details that I think HP fans nitpick pointlessly about.

Game__Raider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Game__Raider

I saw The Desendants the other night and it was a fantastic film. Still not sure if its Best Picture worthy. I was also seriously upset to see that Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy is only opening in about 20-30 theatres this wekeend and not nationwide unil January. Very disappointing. I was so stoked for that film. I love Gary Oldman, and can't wait to see the film.

Also, to those arguing about the HP final book adaption. I am a huge HP fan and feel Yates did a remarkable job with the final book. Was there some changes that I feel didn't need to be changed? Yes, but like someone above said its just us hardcore HP fans nitpicking. You have to accept it for what it was, a damn good film. Alan Rickman is a genius and I will stick by what I said as him deserving a Best Supporting Actor nod. It will be hard for him to get it but IMO Rickman deserves emos recognition, not just as Snape just for his talents in general.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

if tree of life doesnt win best picture, i will lose all faith in"awards ceremonies." Honestly, after watching the VGA's i think i already have. MW3 wtfff????, sorry for the rant