Texting game (of dating)

#1 Posted by ptrpedrohung (187 posts) -

I personally don't like texting as a part of a relationship, especially at the beginning stage when you're trying to get to know her and make her more interested in you. But I'm sure many of you figured it out. What do you think are the strengths of texting when it comes to dating?

#2 Edited by Korvus (2783 posts) -

I only did it because it was the only way to communicate with her until I could move. I lived a few thousand KMs from her =P

#3 Posted by Mikey132 (5101 posts) -

For me it depends on the context of the conversation. If it's a "I'll be there around 3" text then I don't see a problem with it. To go back and forth with text like you're having a conversation really grinds my gears.

#4 Posted by ptrpedrohung (187 posts) -

@Mikey132: yeah but that seems to be the default case these days. Like I just met this girl I'm pretty interested in, but I'm frustrated by how you can't just call them, be sweet, and set up a date, because calling people today is considered very forward :/

but regardless of how I feel about it, this is just how the world works now and we have to accept that. I'm looking for any tips or tricks from those guys who do thrive on texting? Also any girls want to offer their side of the story too?

#5 Posted by toast_burner (21283 posts) -

I rarely send texts. Texts are expensive, skype is free.

#6 Edited by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

I'm fine with it as long as, one, we don't have to text constantly, all day and night. I can't stand that shit. Two, she actually responds back if she expects me to be quick responding back to her. Can't stand when a chick gets pissed if you don't respond back quickly, but then if you text her and don't get a response back, it's ok because she was "bussy". lol

#7 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

For texts, I don't get why more people haven't discovered Whatsapp yet. It's unlimited free texting and there's no character limit. I can't believe people are still paying for texting for how popular and expensive it can be.

#8 Posted by Mikey132 (5101 posts) -

@ptrpedrohung: If it's the way the world works now then I am utterly screwed. I refuse to have a relationship with my phone. I've been single for almost 3 and a half years now. I did start seeing one women a couple years ago but it fell apart rather quick because I'd call her and get no answer only to receive a text a minute later. So I stopped calling her, I wasn't going to keep texting about myself or asking her anything about herself. And she drifted into oblivion. It's a total road block for a guy like me.

#9 Posted by Mikey132 (5101 posts) -

And on another note. I was in High school in the mid 90's, one of the best ways you could spend a evening at home was talking to a chick on the phone. I'm almost positive that anyone else who grew up in that time would agree.

I guess the new IPhones should include fold out Dicks and Vaginas so we can just fuck our phone..... sems to be the way we're headed. Demolition Man style sex!

#10 Posted by Netret0120 (1993 posts) -

@toast_burner said:

For texts, I don't get why more people haven't discovered Whatsapp yet. It's unlimited free texting and there's no character limit. I can't believe people are still paying for texting for how popular and expensive it can be.

THIS!!!!! Whatsapp is essential to communicating with my friends and family all over the world and it costs me about 10mb a month:P

#11 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12763 posts) -

@Mikey132 said:

And on another note. I was in High school in the mid 90's, one of the best ways you could spend a evening at home was talking to a chick on the phone. I'm almost positive that anyone else who grew up in that time would agree.

I'm a few years ahead of you...I remember grabbing the phone and hiding in the corner in the kitchen to talk to my girls, trying to not be too loud because the damn phone cord wouldn't reach to another room.

Kids these days...

#12 Edited by Master_Live (13931 posts) -
#13 Edited by GazaAli (22492 posts) -

@Pirate700 said:

I may be wrong in this, but it appears to me that Whatsapp is not all that popular in the U.S and possibly in Europe I don't know which is quite mind boggling. Here in the Middle East, Whatsapp is massively popular among all kinds of age groups and is even used in business and professional contexts. I've been using it ever since I got my first smartphone last year and I gotta say I basically stopped paying network carrier a dime. I go months straight without even thinking of purchasing credit (we're not using the contract model here).

Another app that seems to be ignored elsewhere is Viber, which is superior to the shitty Skype app. It even lets you purchase calls credit much like Skype's service, only trumps it any day of the week. Whatsapp for texting and Viber for VOIP, this combination will make you take your SIM card and throw it out the window, especially if you're living in a country with decent 3g carriers.

#14 Posted by Korvus (2783 posts) -

@Mikey132: yeah but that seems to be the default case these days. Like I just met this girl I'm pretty interested in, but I'm frustrated by how you can't just call them, be sweet, and set up a date, because calling people today is considered very forward :/

but regardless of how I feel about it, this is just how the world works now and we have to accept that. I'm looking for any tips or tricks from those guys who do thrive on texting? Also any girls want to offer their side of the story too?

You're not even in a relationship with the girl and she's already making you do things you hate. Maybe not the best match?

#15 Posted by ptrpedrohung (187 posts) -

@korvus: Well for me this is a girl i just met and would really want to get to know better. I met her after my band played a show. She came up to me to talk to me too. So In fact I don't really know too much about her other than the fact that she doesn't seem to be a huge fan of Facebook. Chances are she probably hates texting too but all of these are just wishful thinking. What I'm trying to say is that this just seems to be a convention before our interaction gets real. I just don't want to screw up at this first step.

#16 Edited by Korvus (2783 posts) -

@ptrpedrohung: By your name I'm assuming you're Portuguese? Granted, it's been a couple years since I left Portugal and I didn't date this new generation of girls (=P) but I never had a problem with just calling a girl I liked and being honest. Certainly nobody ever told me to text instead of calling.

If a girl showed interest in me and gave me a phone number I (as long as I found her interesting as well) would call her the next Friday and ask if she had some time in the weekend to hang out. If that's what you'd like to do then do it; if a girl loses interest in you because you called her then she's probably a really annoying person anyway =P

#17 Edited by ptrpedrohung (187 posts) -

@korvus: Haha thanks for the advice man but I'm actually from Brooklyn! But I agree with what you said though.

#18 Posted by Korvus (2783 posts) -

@ptrpedrohung: Since your had PT and Pedro in your name XD Guess I missed that one by a mile =P

#19 Posted by lamprey263 (22605 posts) -

#20 Posted by Aquat1cF1sh (10853 posts) -

It's... eugh. I just got "yelled at" last night from a guy I went on a date with a week ago for not texting him. Sorry, I don't live on my phone. >_>

#21 Posted by GordanChoong (210 posts) -

But pirating is even more free, but only do it if you enabled a proxy server or VPN, or if you ISP doesn't care about pirating.

#22 Edited by ptrpedrohung (187 posts) -

Will texting make us more patient?

#23 Posted by bowchicka07 (1071 posts) -

One minute of a phone call usually equals about 15-20 minutes of texting. I think texting is vastly overrated and causes so much miss communication with auto-correct and no sense of tone.

It obviously has it advantages but it's so impersonal that it just gets old fast for me.

#25 Posted by foxhound_fox (87318 posts) -

Had my GF and I not spoken on MSN Messenger for about 7 hours before meeting the next day (technically the next day, but it was only about 3 hours later) we probably wouldn't have been interested in meeting in the first place. If texting is something she feels is appropriate part of the early relationship and you don't then I suggest you run away fast, anything serious and you might pop a vein.

#26 Posted by Sword-Demon (6920 posts) -

I don't mind it for casual conversation throughout the day. Phone or in-person conversations are a lot more fast-paced; you have to keep talking and your responses have to come fairly quickly or you get those awkward silences. but with texting, you can take the conversation at your own pace, think about what you're going to say, take a break and come back to it, etc. much more relaxed.

But those people who expect responses immediately? No.