Texas Ban on Same Sex Marriage Struck Down by Federal Judge.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Master_Live (12284 posts) -
#2 Edited by lamprey263 (21022 posts) -

it'll likely move to a higher court where it'll again be struck down again, but the judge granted a temporary injunction that should allow gay people to marry in Texas in the meantime

EDIT: oh, he granted a temporary injunction then put a stay on it pending appeal; dick

#3 Posted by lostrib (26254 posts) -

Well, we're all going to hell

#4 Posted by TheFlush (5324 posts) -

Spread the gay people, spread the gay I tell you!

#5 Edited by Makhaidos (1413 posts) -

Well, I think we can all honestly say that we never saw that coming.

#6 Edited by Boston_Boyy (3812 posts) -

Idk, I thought it was pretty clear, remember that this is coming from the courts and not from the state level. There is no legal basis for not giving equal rights to gay couples. The Supreme Court was able to punt with their DOMA and Prop 8 positions but if one of these recent challenges from Virginia, Texas or Utah reaches the court I could easily see them declaring all state bans illegal.

#7 Posted by GIJames248 (2176 posts) -

Because state rights are so 1800s.

#8 Edited by Wilfred_Owen (20679 posts) -

So is that, Fabulous?

#9 Posted by deeliman (1858 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Well, we're all going to hell

Yep, not long before the apocalypse will happen in texas

#10 Edited by Trender_man (126 posts) -

oh no, not more strong ads

#11 Posted by Randolph (10135 posts) -

Because state rights are so 1800s.

You are grossly oversimplifying. Reasonable limits need to exist on states rights to prevent tyranny of the majority within that state against the minority groups. We can't wait on the individual states themselves to come around to the simple reality of their immoral and outdated beliefs. If we had done that with segregation, we'd either still have a few southern states with it to this day, or we would have only just seen the last one give it up and move on within the last decade or so.

They had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the modern era back then, and they will need to be dragged kicking and screaming into the modern era yet again on this issue. If we wait, we won't see same sex marriage rights until 2050 or later in my home state of Georgia, and other states down here. This is going to end up back in front of the US Supreme Court much sooner than later at this rate, and these people better come up with an actual non-religious legal justification for what they want to do, because as we saw last time just standing there thumping the bible is not a valid argument.

They lost, and they WILL lose again.

#12 Posted by playmynutz (5561 posts) -

So annoying Federal Court waste resources on this 'gay' rights movement but won't bother legalizing marijuana

#13 Posted by Randolph (10135 posts) -

So annoying Federal Court waste resources on this 'gay' rights movement but won't bother legalizing marijuana

They should just do both right now and get it over with.

#14 Posted by CountBleck12 (22481 posts) -

@deeliman said:

@lostrib said:

Well, we're all going to hell

Yep, not long before the apocalypse will happen in texas

It's okay though, that's how god expresses his love.

#15 Edited by playmynutz (5561 posts) -

@Randolph: yeah the whole world isn't going to same sex marriage and smoke pot if it became legal.

#16 Posted by chessmaster1989 (28617 posts) -

At this rate in a few months these rulings won't even be making headline news anymore.

#17 Posted by airshocker (27269 posts) -

@Randolph said:

@GIJames248 said:

Because state rights are so 1800s.

You are grossly oversimplifying. Reasonable limits need to exist on states rights to prevent tyranny of the majority within that state against the minority groups. We can't wait on the individual states themselves to come around to the simple reality of their immoral and outdated beliefs. If we had done that with segregation, we'd either still have a few southern states with it to this day, or we would have only just seen the last one give it up and move on within the last decade or so.

They had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the modern era back then, and they will need to be dragged kicking and screaming into the modern era yet again on this issue. If we wait, we won't see same sex marriage rights until 2050 or later in my home state of Georgia, and other states down here. This is going to end up back in front of the US Supreme Court much sooner than later at this rate, and these people better come up with an actual non-religious legal justification for what they want to do, because as we saw last time just standing there thumping the bible is not a valid argument.

They lost, and they WILL lose again.

Do you feel that way about gun rights, or only issues with a decidedly progressive slant?

#18 Posted by Randolph (10135 posts) -

Do you feel that way about gun rights, or only issues with a decidedly progressive slant?

It's complicated. :)

I will say though, I do support gun rights.

#19 Posted by 4myAmuzumament (1329 posts) -

Thanks Obama! What a great president.

#20 Posted by Master_Live (12284 posts) -

Thanks Obama! What a great president.

Agree, he is da best.

#21 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (16705 posts) -

@TheFlush said:

Spread the gay people, spread the gay I tell you!

More gay for everyone!

Also, surprisingly progressive move from Texas. Arizona made their own progressive move today too.

Is the South finally working towards NOT being stupid?

#22 Edited by IronBeaver (1983 posts) -

@Randolph said:

@GIJames248 said:

Because state rights are so 1800s.

You are grossly oversimplifying. Reasonable limits need to exist on states rights to prevent tyranny of the majority within that state against the minority groups. We can't wait on the individual states themselves to come around to the simple reality of their immoral and outdated beliefs. If we had done that with segregation, we'd either still have a few southern states with it to this day, or we would have only just seen the last one give it up and move on within the last decade or so.

They had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the modern era back then, and they will need to be dragged kicking and screaming into the modern era yet again on this issue. If we wait, we won't see same sex marriage rights until 2050 or later in my home state of Georgia, and other states down here. This is going to end up back in front of the US Supreme Court much sooner than later at this rate, and these people better come up with an actual non-religious legal justification for what they want to do, because as we saw last time just standing there thumping the bible is not a valid argument.

They lost, and they WILL lose again.

Do you feel that way about gun rights, or only issues with a decidedly progressive slant?

I think states should have some power over gun rights. But I think that there are plenty of "reasonable limits" that the feds have failed to put into place for everywhere.

#23 Posted by Gaming-Planet (13445 posts) -

Why are Taxans so concern about who fucks who in bed? That's not a very conservative view to care about social lives.

And if it's against your religion, why do you continue to give a fuck? Let them go to hell if that's what you believe. You let murders and rapist get away with it easy without judging them with your picket signs.

#24 Edited by lostrib (26254 posts) -

Why are Taxans so concern about who fucks who in bed? That's not a very conservative view to care about social lives.

And if it's against your religion, why do you continue to give a fuck? Let them go to hell if that's what you believe. You let murders and rapist get away with it easy without judging them with your picket signs.

well in Texas, they probably send those people straight to the lethal injection chamber

#25 Posted by lostrib (26254 posts) -

@TheFlush said:

Spread the gay people, spread the gay I tell you!

More gay for everyone!

Also, surprisingly progressive move from Texas. Arizona made their own progressive move today too.

Is the South finally working towards NOT being stupid?

Considering it's the Federal courts telling them that their laws are unconstitutional, I'm going to go with no

#26 Posted by theone86 (20436 posts) -

it'll likely move to a higher court where it'll again be struck down again, but the judge granted a temporary injunction that should allow gay people to marry in Texas in the meantime

EDIT: oh, he granted a temporary injunction then put a stay on it pending appeal; dick

Being a supporter of gay marriage, I understand the logic behind not allowing marriages to take place in the period between a ruling and an impending appeal. If this is appealed successfully it would create a bureaucratic nightmare with a lot of marriages no longer being recognized. Better to get the full victory first. That being said, if there was any justice in this issue SCOTUS would take up one of these cases ASAP and tell gay marriage opponents to fuck off and do something better with their time, but seeing as how that's not going to happen anytime soon since they're content to try and pass the buck to the states at every opportunity, I think it's better to get a full victory than to run the risk of marriages performed in the interim being invalidated.

#27 Posted by lostrib (26254 posts) -

@theone86 said:

@lamprey263 said:

it'll likely move to a higher court where it'll again be struck down again, but the judge granted a temporary injunction that should allow gay people to marry in Texas in the meantime

EDIT: oh, he granted a temporary injunction then put a stay on it pending appeal; dick

Being a supporter of gay marriage, I understand the logic behind not allowing marriages to take place in the period between a ruling and an impending appeal. If this is appealed successfully it would create a bureaucratic nightmare with a lot of marriages no longer being recognized. Better to get the full victory first. That being said, if there was any justice in this issue SCOTUS would take up one of these cases ASAP and tell gay marriage opponents to fuck off and do something better with their time, but seeing as how that's not going to happen anytime soon since they're content to try and pass the buck to the states at every opportunity, I think it's better to get a full victory than to run the risk of marriages performed in the interim being invalidated.

yeah, they had a chance with Prop 8, but they ended up wimping out

#28 Posted by Master_Live (12284 posts) -

So annoying Federal Court waste resources on this 'gay' rights movement but won't bother legalizing marijuana

Prohibiting marihuana doesn't violate the Constitution.

#29 Posted by _HazBro_ (124 posts) -

I'm not familiar with the American political system, but I have to assume that eventually (within the next few years) they'll have to allow gay marriage country wide, rather than state by state.

As more states make it legal, it'll bring more issues when gay couples move from to a different state where it's not legal, correct?

#30 Posted by indzman (15378 posts) -

damn, more n more girls going lesbo, someday we guys will have nothing :(

#31 Posted by jimkabrhel (15382 posts) -

Are you afraid of catching "teh gay", TC?

#32 Posted by Santesyu (4275 posts) -

Finally hit texas huh about time :P