Terrified of starting university tomorrow.

#1 Posted by Jobesky123 (1078 posts) -

Hey guys. So I start school tomorrow and I'm a wreck. I have OCD and anxiety which is amplifying this ten fold.

Can anyone offer advice or words of comfort? I've been through 2 years of community college, so I shouldn't be scared, but my uni is so damn big and I may get lost and ahhhhhhhhhh!!!

Even my Xanax isn't really helping, which sucks.

#2 Posted by Gaming-Planet (14030 posts) -

Be organized and prepared. Bring an extra pair of underwear, because it looks like you will need one.

#3 Edited by _Judas_ (750 posts) -

@Jobesky123: first day of school is often very chill. Just breath and try to take things slow. Remember that most other students are just as anxious like you. Try to think of all the good things that come with studying at university.

-Take your time and prepare well beforehand; try to learn the campus layout by visiting the University page online. Notice where you're suppose to meet up, and jot it down in a notebook. If you get lost, there is no shame in asking : "excuse me, can you tell me where room A-152 is?"

-Try and see if there are any funny names of people in your class. If there are, try and guess which one owns the funniest name. This might take your focus off being nervous.

-Don't drink any kinds of energy drinks, coffee or other energizing beverage. They will just make you even more nervous and anxious.

-Just keep remembering that many other students share your feelings and many students tend to choose a low-profile first day of school.

-Everything will go fine!

#4 Edited by johnd13 (8473 posts) -

I've been there. When I first started university I was really shy and anxious, about to meet all sorts of new people and adapting in a new environment. I can't really give you any advice that'll help, nothing made me any less nervous. Just accept that it's going to be awkward for a few days but they'll pass pretty fast and then you'll start feeling normal again.

You're not alone in this. Many people feel this way in their first day in school, uni, work. A lot of your soon-to-be classmates will as well.

#5 Posted by ferrari2001 (17077 posts) -

The first day is a little difficult but it becomes almost second nature after a week or so. Eventually you'll start having a blast. At times I wish I was back in school. It really is a fantastic time.

#6 Posted by SolidSnake35 (58157 posts) -

If you're anxious, nothing will help? I didn't have anxiety and I was nervous still. What I'm trying to say is... see what happens, and do your best.

#7 Posted by lightleggy (16067 posts) -

Americans, whats the difference between uni and college? I always thought they were the same

#8 Posted by _Judas_ (750 posts) -

@lightleggy: I'm not American, but I think I know the difference:

College is the last part of 'obligatory' school, while Uni is a choice made by the student to proceed to higher learning faculties.

Any American can probably tell me if I'm wrong

#9 Posted by Jobesky123 (1078 posts) -

They can both be used interchangeably, everyone uses them both. it doesn't matter which.

Anyway I felt like this the day before community college and I ended up a confident motherfucker in the end, and everyone will be younger than me I'm sure - me being 22 and them probably 18-19) so hopefully they'll sort of look up to me. Who knows. It's just the waiting that's killing me..

#10 Posted by SolidSnake35 (58157 posts) -

@lightleggy said:

Americans, whats the difference between uni and college? I always thought they were the same

The mad thing is... they finish high school and go to university. We finish high school, go to college, and then go to university. So what do they call our college? WHAT?!

#11 Posted by playmynutz (6147 posts) -

Don't be late. It makes a huge difference.

#12 Posted by Mercenary848 (9087 posts) -

First see a counselor dude, please do not rely to much on meds.

Second you have nothng to worry about, college is awesome

#13 Posted by JDWolfie (1887 posts) -

I usually go to the classes first, so I know what the environment will be like and know what routes to take to get there. Just imagine all the hot chicks (if there will be any) that are going to be there! You can also sit in a corner up-front. That way, you won't have to look at anyone and all eyeballs won't necessarily be on you.

#14 Posted by hippiesanta (9916 posts) -

just remember those seniors are no smarter either ...... and they got no right to bully you because .... just like them .... you pay lot's of money for your school fee.

#15 Posted by Gaming-Planet (14030 posts) -

@lightleggy said:

Community college is cheaper and you can obtain an associate's degree at a college and possibly transfer with it to a University. People who aren't wealthy tend to go to community college first, or sometimes people who need their general ed courses.

#16 Edited by lamprey263 (24467 posts) -

Don't worry at making friends, you'll make them. Some people focus too much on the social aspect of college at the expense of their education, don't be one of those people. Making friends is important though, it's important in life, your field of study, and after school those connections might help out in the pursuit of your career or further education. Also, make sure you're picking an education path that will lead to a career. Don't take classes willynilly like "dude, take Dinosaurs 101, it's really easy to get an A in". Dorms are a great place to live in and make friends. If you're on financial aid then don't get caught around drugs. If you're one of those people pledging for fraternities then just be careful, each one is going to haze to a degree but don't go in one that's gonna go overboard and be mentally or physically abusive. Have fun but remember schooling is about preparing you for your career.

Being a third year undergraduate student though I imagine you're already on the right track. If you're overwhelmed by the campus size, I can understand. But generally 3rd and 4th year undergraduate courses are smaller in size, so I'm guessing they'll be right around to the class size you became accustomed to in community college. The larger school size though will have more perks, better libraries, better student resources, better facilities like places to eat such.

#17 Posted by GeekInkINC (195 posts) -

Drop the Xanax and get some adderall, pimp fly. It's like FOCUS CANDY!

#18 Edited by plageus900 (1129 posts) -

#

@lamprey263 said:

Don't worry at making friends, you'll make them. Some people focus too much on the social aspect of college at the expense of their education, don't be one of those people. Making friends is important though, it's important in life, your field of study, and after school those connections might help out in the pursuit of your career or further education. Also, make sure you're picking an education path that will lead to a career. Don't take classes willynilly like "dude, take Dinosaurs 101, it's really easy to get an A in". Dorms are a great place to live in and make friends. If you're on financial aid then don't get caught around drugs. If you're one of those people pledging for fraternities then just be careful, each one is going to haze to a degree but don't go in one that's gonna go overboard and be mentally or physically abusive. Have fun but remember schooling is about preparing you for your career.

This.

Which degree are you pursuing? Make sure its something marketable. Don't go chasing after a Bachelors in English and then end up working at a coffee stand like my ex-wife.

#loldumbbitch

#19 Posted by lamprey263 (24467 posts) -

@plageus900 said:

#

@lamprey263 said:

This.

Which degree are you pursuing? Make sure its something marketable. Don't go chasing after a Bachelors in English and then end up working at a coffee stand like my ex-wife.

#loldumbbitch

if you knew me better I'd of thought that was a slight against me... I'm an English major, but you're sooo right :P

it's funny when I meet other English majors though because we always have that "what the fuck did you do after school" kind of conversation

anyhow, next step is law school for me

#20 Edited by lightleggy (16067 posts) -

@SolidSnake35 said:

@lightleggy said:

The mad thing is... they finish high school and go to university. We finish high school, go to college, and then go to university. So what do they call our college? WHAT?!

Who are "we"?

@Gaming-Planet said:

@lightleggy said:

Community college is cheaper and you can obtain an associate's degree at a college and possibly transfer with it to a University. People who aren't wealthy tend to go to community college first, or sometimes people who need their general ed courses.

So basically it's the same, just cheaper?

#21 Edited by Toxic-Seahorse (4164 posts) -
@lightleggy said:

@SolidSnake35 said:

@lightleggy said:

Who are "we"?

@Gaming-Planet said:

@lightleggy said:

No. I'll try to explain it here.

In the U.S., there are Universities. These are schools that offer Bachelor's degrees. Typically 4 or more years worth of classes.

Then there are Community Colleges. These are schools that are usually smaller and typically only offer Associate's Degrees, or about 2 years worth of classes.

Community colleges are typically cheaper per class, so a lot of students first go to community college, pick up an associate's degree, and then transfer some credits to a University to get a Bachelor's.

The term "college" is used to refer to both University and community college.

#22 Posted by plageus900 (1129 posts) -

@lamprey263 said:

@plageus900 said:

#

@lamprey263 said:

This.

#loldumbbitch

if you knew me better I'd of thought that was a slight against me... I'm an English major, but you're sooo right :P

it's funny when I meet other English majors though because we always have that "what the fuck did you do after school" kind of conversation

anyhow, next step is law school for me

I'm sorry if I came across as an asshole.

Make sure you DO go to law school. That was her plan as well, but she never followed through. Now she's stuck paying school loans for nothing.

#23 Posted by SOedipus (6817 posts) -

It's awesome. All the unprotected sex you can have.

#24 Posted by Stesilaus (3427 posts) -

You asked me once what was in Mathematics 101. I told you that you knew already. Everybody knows. The thing that is in Mathematics 101 is the worst thing in the world.

:P

(Adapted from "Room 101" in Nineteen Eighty-Four)

#25 Posted by Korvus (4753 posts) -

Everybody (well, almost...) seems to be giving you good advice but nobody touched the OCD subject which might be the big problem. OCD makes you anxious and anxiety makes your OCD flare up...

Unfortunately I have vast first person experience with OCD so if you need some tips or someone to talk to about it, drop me a PM.

Also, if you're anything like me, you suffer beforehand so your head is clear when you're actually having to go through the situations, which means you'll be just fine! ;) Good luck!

#26 Edited by Shmiity (5175 posts) -

Plenty of other students will be nervous. Don't be worried about it. Just go in there and own it.

#27 Posted by SolidSnake35 (58157 posts) -

@lightleggy: The English

#28 Edited by lightleggy (16067 posts) -

@Toxic-Seahorse said:
@lightleggy said:

@SolidSnake35 said:

@lightleggy said:

Who are "we"?

@Gaming-Planet said:

@lightleggy said:

No. I'll try to explain it here.

In the U.S., there are Universities. These are schools that offer Bachelor's degrees. Typically 4 or more years worth of classes.

Then there are Community Colleges. These are schools that are usually smaller and typically only offer Associate's Degrees, or about 2 years worth of classes.

Community colleges are typically cheaper per class, so a lot of students first go to community college, pick up an associate's degree, and then transfer some credits to a University to get a Bachelor's.

The term "college" is used to refer to both University and community college.

Huh well that's a pretty weird system...Here we just have public college and private college. Public lasts longer but the degree has more prestige. Plus currently only publics offer PhDs

#29 Posted by Jobesky123 (1078 posts) -

#@korvus:

@korvus said:

Also, if you're anything like me, you suffer beforehand so your head is clear when you're actually having to go through the situations, which means you'll be just fine! ;) Good luck!

Bro... are you me, but someone else?! I was so worried the day before, but when I got into class I was so fucking calm it was unreal. I panic usually when I go to a mall or something, and yesterday I was in an auditorium with like a billion people and I felt fine. So weird. Appreciate you offering help, though. If I have problems I'll hit you up.

One of the biggest things is I get to go there for free (tuition and other fees are over 30k) until I'm 25 - I'm 22 right now - and my tuition remission only lasts until late 2016 (when I turn 25) so I probably have to take summer classes. :fuckmylife: Sucks...

#30 Posted by Korvus (4753 posts) -

@Jobesky123: Glad to hear it went fine. My offer to help is still valid for other situations you might have. All the best to you and enjoy this new step in life! =D

#31 Edited by ShepardCommandr (2907 posts) -

Don't go.

#32 Edited by yummifullz (149 posts) -

I wish I had the opportunity or means to return to university right now. I don't. It's going to be another year at least. And let me tell you not finishing is one of the poorest choices I ever made, simply because I had no plan for what I was going to do when I dropped out. If you have a stellar business/product idea or something, by all means don't go. But you should go, and you should get your degree. At least if you can't find a job after you graduate you are still in a much better position than before you went.

I would love to take summer classes, and winter classes. Once an opportunity like that has slipped you by, you realize how lucky you really were at the time.

#33 Posted by redstorm72 (4593 posts) -

Stop being anxious and OCD would be my first tip... Or drink some alcohol.

Seriously, there is nothing to be nervous about. University is just a bigger version of what you have already done. There is no reason to be shy or anxious of people either because nobody is going to bother you or even pay that much attention to you unless you initiate a conversation. Also, you won't get lost, campuses have maps.

TLDR: Chill