Terminator Genesis?

• 73 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

So, what do you think? I heard that it will be a continuation on from t2 - as though the events of t3 and t4 never happened.

Good idea I say. I thought the first two movies were excellent and the third kind of derailed about half to two-thirds of the way through. As for the fourth - lets face it - it was pretty terrible.

Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 CreasianDevaili
Member since 2005 • 4429 Posts

T2 was a great movie. But it wasn't a great sequel. If they focus on making a great sequel to T2 then I am all for it but Terminator is one series that could really use a reboot. Entirely.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

From what I read, the events of the first Terminator on up are going to be different because Sarah Connor was orphaned and was raised since a teen by a Terminator (played by Schwarzenegger).

The Sarah Connor Chronicles pretty much reconned both T3 and Salvation out of existence but this one undoes the events of the whole movie series.

Entertainment Weekly Article

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@CreasianDevaili said:

T2 was a great movie. But it wasn't a great sequel. If they focus on making a great sequel to T2 then I am all for it but Terminator is one series that could really use a reboot. Entirely.

It doesn't need a reboot. The Terminator (and sort of Terminator 2) are just fine, and don't need to be improved upon or re-envisioned. After all, when the reboot sucks too, then people are still just gonna keep going back to the originals.

In any case, I didn't think this was a reboot. Just more of a "sort of" reboot that exists in the same universe as the originals, kind of like the J.J. Abrams Star trek. If that's the case, then chances are that a reboot is just gonna **** up the continuity in this series even more.

But hey, whatever. Let's face it...this series is already so utterly fucked up that another entry won't hurt it regardless of how bad it is. Robots kill people, people kill robots, shit blows up real good. If we're being honest here, that's really the only reason to watch Terminator Anything these days. So...whatever. They can do whatever they want to with this garbage franchise, the only ones that will ever matter will still be the first two.

Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CreasianDevaili
Member since 2005 • 4429 Posts

@MrGeezer said:

@CreasianDevaili said:

It doesn't need a reboot. The Terminator (and sort of Terminator 2) are just fine, and don't need to be improved upon or re-envisioned. After all, when the reboot sucks too, then people are still just gonna keep going back to the originals.

In any case, I didn't think this was a reboot. Just more of a "sort of" reboot that exists in the same universe as the originals, kind of like the J.J. Abrams Star trek. If that's the case, then chances are that a reboot is just gonna **** up the continuity in this series even more.

But hey, whatever. Let's face it...this series is already so utterly fucked up that another entry won't hurt it regardless of how bad it is. Robots kill people, people kill robots, shit blows up real good. If we're being honest here, that's really the only reason to watch Terminator Anything these days. So...whatever. They can do whatever they want to with this garbage franchise, the only ones that will ever matter will still be the first two.

Well yeah that's the issue. I want a true reboot because the first two movies were so good but kind of flipped off any chance of a third movie being anything but a robots kill people, people kill robots. Ah well I guess. Will see how this movie goes.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

Sounds like a board-room designed movie with pie charts in mind rather than artistic merit.

Ban this slick milf.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By thereal25

@ad1x2 said:

From what I read, the events of the first Terminator on up are going to be different because Sarah Connor was orphaned and was raised since a teen by a Terminator (played by Schwarzenegger).

The Sarah Connor Chronicles pretty much reconned both T3 and Salvation out of existence but this one undoes the events of the whole movie series.

Entertainment Weekly Article

Hm, yes, it appears that it's kind of going to be a bit of a blend of prequel, reboot and sequel with respect to the first two movies.

I heard the Sarah Connor chronicles was quite good. But they cancelled it after only two seasons. Do you think it's worth watching?

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

@thereal25 said:

I heard the Sarah Connor chronicles was quite good. But they cancelled it after only two seasons. Do you think it's worth watching?

I thought that the show was great. The ratings didn't meet Fox's expectations (although it got better ratings than a lot of shows on CW that are of top quality) so it was canned despite fan efforts to save it.

Kind of makes me worried that they may eventually can Gotham even though it's doing good for now. A lot of fans are still sore about Fox canceling Firefly and they have earned a reputation for canceling popular shows.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

I find most movies are more enjoyable if you don't question them too much...

Loading Video...

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

the plot details make it sound like straight shit

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

I've seen all of them and Sarah Connor Chronicles but I don't consider myself a huge fan of the series. If it's like anything other than T3, cool. I'll probably watch it and enjoy it. If it's like T3, I'll probably avoid Terminator related content for the rest of my life unless it's a TV show.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

It's Genisys, not Genesis.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

Emlia Clarke is a terrible actress so it's already off to a poor start.

RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15  Edited By RadecSupreme
Member since 2009 • 4824 Posts

The new movie sounds terrible. Sad that the terminator franchise continues to go down the drain.

redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 redstorm72
Member since 2008 • 4646 Posts

The plot details I've heard so far make this movie sound terrible. I'm not discounting it completely, but my hopes aren't high right now.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts
@RadecSupreme said:

The new movie sounds terrible. Sad that the terminator franchise continues to go down the drain.

Agreed.

destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19 destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts

story/concept sounds cool but i just don't know... sick of terminator and might be impossible to go back to after that completely awful "salvation."

not on the top of my list.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@crimsonbrute said:
@RadecSupreme said:

Agreed.

The new premise sounds like the Alien3 of the franchise.

-Byshop

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

Hard to complain about such a film when it exists in a universe that involves time travel and so could easily change the past history of the current story line without really affecting what was already established. I'd prefer the film wasn't made, but I like both Clarkes and Smith, so I'll wait until an actual trailer and initial reviews come out to pass early judgement.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MrGeezer
@SaintLeonidas said:

Hard to complain about such a film when it exists in a universe that involves time travel and so could easily change the past history of the current story line without really affecting what was already established. I'd prefer the film wasn't made, but I like both Clarkes and Smith, so I'll wait until an actual trailer and initial reviews come out to pass early judgement.

The thing is, the first movie was set up to avoid this from ever happening. One Terminator goes through the machine right before Skynet and the time machine are destroyed, it's impossible to change the past, and there's only one timeline. Bam, one movie and the story is done. No room for a franchise.

So, while it's easy to give the new movie a pass because the franchise involves time travel and changing the past, that itself is a screw-up which violates the rules set forth in the original movie. I can't really defend a continuity error by citing a previous continuity error. In the end it really just comes down to the series getting increasingly nonsensical with every installment, as more errors are piled on top of earlier errors.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 thereal25

@Motokid6 said:

@thereal25: Summer Glau as the Terminator... Yes it's worth watching.

Hm, I like me a sexy terminator!

@lamprey263 said:

I find most movies are more enjoyable if you don't question them too much...

Loading Video...

true true. If you think about it almost every tv series or movie kind of requires you to switch your brain off to enjoy!

@Motokid6 said:

Idk I really liked Salvation. Ever since I was a kid I wanted them to do a movie solely based in the post apocalyptic future and thats what Salvation was for me. Really bumbed there not continuing from that. That being said... I wonder if Lena Hedley got Emilia Clarke the gig as she herself played Sarah Connor in the tv series. Had to have something to do with it..

Your WHAT?

Jeezuz, next you'll be telling me that you liked Inception!

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 thereal25

@Motokid6 said:

@thereal25: Inception was alright. But yea I've been a huge Terminator fan since I was a kid. Always wanted a movie based in the future and that was it. I liked it alot. Cgi young Arnold at the end was cool too.

Fair enough; everyone has different tastes I suppose. For me it was just a very forgettable experience.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

I really don't see the series topping the 2nd movie, but I will be happy if I am proven wrong.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

I would rather see a movie based around a character that hasn't been in any of the movies involving the events of the human resistance after Skynet took over.. Seriously do something outside of the major plotline within the same universe instead of fucking hammering the shit to death with your fists til you can't get any more money out of it.. We do not need to reboot, make sequels, remake every freaking series out there.. Especially with the amount of money they are going to put behind it, it's going to be pg13, and they are going to get hack writers and directors to put together the next "blockbuster" brainless popcorn fest... We have enough of those with the comic book wave of movies taking over.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 thereal25

@sSubZerOo said:

I would rather see a movie based around a character that hasn't been in any of the movies involving the events of the human resistance after Skynet took over.. Seriously do something outside of the major plotline within the same universe instead of fucking hammering the shit to death with your fists til you can't get any more money out of it.. We do not need to reboot, make sequels, remake every freaking series out there.. Especially with the amount of money they are going to put behind it, it's going to be pg13, and they are going to get hack writers and directors to put together the next "blockbuster" brainless popcorn fest... We have enough of those with the comic book wave of movies taking over.

Wow. I really hope they don't make a pg rated movie.

And now that I think of it - that's probably why I detested the 4th instalment so much. It was just so friggen lame. And those kids were just soooooooo annoying! lol

And yeah, I'm also over all this comic book movie stuff. It might be okay for 9 year olds - but what about us adults?

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MrGeezer

@thereal25 said:

@sSubZerOo said:

And now that I think of it - that's probably why I detested the 4th instalment so much. It was just so friggen lame. And those kids were just soooooooo annoying! lol

And yeah, I'm also over all this comic book movie stuff. It might be okay for 9 year olds - but what about us adults?

It's probably going to be PG-13, because R ratings on movies significantly reduce their box office earnings.

But "what about us adults?" Well, thankfully, movies for adults are still being made. Gone Girl and Nightcrawler came out pretty recently and the general opinion seems to be that they're pretty good. As long as filmmakers are still making "movies for adults", then it doesn't particularly bother me that other movies are "for 9 year olds". Not everything has to be for me.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

There's no point to keep trying to make this series relevant.

-Blasphemy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 -Blasphemy-
Member since 2005 • 3369 Posts

@Motokid6 said:

Idk I really liked Salvation. Ever since I was a kid I wanted them to do a movie solely based in the post apocalyptic future and thats what Salvation was for me. Really bumbed there not continuing from that.

i dont know what everyones gripe was with this movie, i thought it was great.

watchdogsrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#33 watchdogsrules
Member since 2014 • 551 Posts

i think its gonna be awesome, and i hope that its picks up right where salvation left off.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@thereal25 said:

@sSubZerOo said:

The thing is I really don't care about the rating per say.. Its that hollywood sheen they put across it with stupid dialogue and stupid plotline when it came to Terminator Salvation that really didn't convey the dark and grim future the first two movies did.. See that is what I liked about the Nolan Batman movies, even though they were rated PG13, they were built from the ground up to really convey to most adults imo.. No kid is going to understand the whole message with the joker in the second movie.. Terminator Salvation had no such greater meaning and was just absolute shit.. Don't get me wrong about comic book movies, I like them.. But it seems to be a habit as of late (namely with the Marvel comics) which really started to go down that path imo with Iron Man 3 and The Avengers.. Though this was saved with X-men Day of Future past, which was emotionally deep and conveyed great story telling..

Fortunately I really don't care about the Terminator franchise anymore.. I have high hopes for the new Mad Max movie on the other hand to give me my fill of post apocalyptic movies.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 thereal25

@MrGeezer said:

@thereal25 said:

@sSubZerOo said:

It's probably going to be PG-13, because R ratings on movies significantly reduce their box office earnings.

But "what about us adults?" Well, thankfully, movies for adults are still being made. Gone Girl and Nightcrawler came out pretty recently and the general opinion seems to be that they're pretty good. As long as filmmakers are still making "movies for adults", then it doesn't particularly bother me that other movies are "for 9 year olds". Not everything has to be for me.

Sadly, I think you may be right...

But I don't think the terminator series belongs in a pg-13 rating because not only did it start out with R, but the basic plot is inherently violent.

I mean, the idea of machines becoming self-aware and trying to take over mankind is serious stuff and shouldn't be glossed over and made in a humorous family movie. It SHOULD be graphic and there SHOULD be adult themes like swearing to help convey the theme more powerfully.

@watchdogsrules said:

i think its gonna be awesome, and i hope that its picks up right where salvation left off.

Hope away, but that ainst gonna happen.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#36 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

I agree. Although Terminator 2 never really struck me as gory or violent. The language and tone was fairly adult. Both Sarah and John Conner are quite damaged characters full of hate and resentment. It also had a fairly depressing blue tint almost all the way through the movie.

It probably not indicative of the final product but the characters in the above pictures too prim.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MrGeezer

@thereal25 said:

But I don't think the terminator series belongs in a pg-13 rating because not only did it start out with R, but the basic plot is inherently violent.

I mean, the idea of machines becoming self-aware and trying to take over mankind is serious stuff and shouldn't be glossed over and made in a humorous family movie. It SHOULD be graphic and there SHOULD be adult themes like swearing to help convey the theme more powerfully.

While I actually agree, I still think that's likely to be the least of the movie's problems. After all, Terminator 3 was R, and it still sucked. And Terminator Salvation was PG-13, but the rating was the least of that movie's problems, There was way too much stuff wrong with that movie, and no amount of R-ratedness could have saved it.

Should it be R? Yeah. But honestly, if it were simply well-written, well-acted, and well-directed, then that should still be enough to be worth seeing even if it was rated PG-13. Think of like, Terminator or Terminator 2. Have you ever seen one of those TV edits where they cut out the profanity and the most graphic violence? Even watered down in that kind of way, it's still better than the recent Terminators. Don't get me wrong, I still think that the new movie is probably gonna suck. I'm just saying that if it ends up sucking, it's biggest problems are gonna be the ones that have nothing to do with the rating.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 thereal25

@MrGeezer:

Yes, it might still be half decent - even with only a pg-13 rating.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MrGeezer

@thereal25 said:

@MrGeezer:

Like, a 1% chance that it's gonna be half decent.

I was just saying that even if it does suck massive balls (which I'm sure it will), the fact that it's PG-13 is probably gonna be WAY down on the list of things that people hated about it.

Yes, some movies absolutely need to be R, no question about it. But where a PG-13 edit of Pulp Fiction wouldn't work at all, a PG-13 edit of Terminator or Terminator 2 sort of does. Those movies weren't very sexually explicit, and didn't have a lot of cursing (not much that drastically changes the movie, in any case). They were R mostly for the violence, and even then we're usually talking about a handfull of short scenes that could probably be implied instead of shown.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MrGeezer

@Motokid6 said:

@MrGeezer: The first Terminator had a sex scene with nudity.

BARELY any nudity. And again, if that sex scene had been edited down to PG-13 level, the movie still would've been just fine.

Brutal_Elitegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Brutal_Elitegs
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
Loading Video...

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#45 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Genisys*

@MrGeezer said:

They were R mostly for the violence, and even then we're usually talking about a handfull of short scenes that could probably be implied instead of shown.

And in today's movie environment, the level of the violence in T1 and T2 would barely justify even a PG-13 rating.

ufopuller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#47  Edited By ufopuller
Member since 2004 • 6054 Posts
Loading Video...

Actually, It's Terminator: Genisys and trailer just came out:

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#48  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

When watching the trailer at first I thought it was a remake and was about to explode, now it just looks like a bad action movie.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

@Motokid6 said:

They got the Mother of Dragons... The movie couldn't possibly suck :p

... Honestly that's the only reason I'm exited for..

This guy know his shi* ! Exacto, mother of dragons is a huge reason to see. She does kinda look like Sarah Connor too, what a trip.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

@MrGeezer said:

@thereal25 said:

@MrGeezer:

Like, a 1% chance that it's gonna be half decent.

I was just saying that even if it does suck massive balls (which I'm sure it will), the fact that it's PG-13 is probably gonna be WAY down on the list of things that people hated about it.

Yes, some movies absolutely need to be R, no question about it. But where a PG-13 edit of Pulp Fiction wouldn't work at all, a PG-13 edit of Terminator or Terminator 2 sort of does. Those movies weren't very sexually explicit, and didn't have a lot of cursing (not much that drastically changes the movie, in any case). They were R mostly for the violence, and even then we're usually talking about a handfull of short scenes that could probably be implied instead of shown.

Very well put. Rated R was mostly for violence back then on these flix. PG 13 will get them more $$, but i seriously doubt it will be PG. This is Terminator we are talking about. It most definitely will be rated R.