Teenager knocked out by cops over cigarette

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Apparantly the cops thought it was marijuana, but it was only a cigarette. The cops answered by knocking the teenager out and handcuffing him to the hospital bed. The teen has had nerve problems in his arms and suffered memory loss after the incident

Link

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Broken record.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Says he pleaded guilty already to disorderly conduct, I highly doubt (despite how wrong this all seems), that there will be any legal recourse here.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

So what happened prior to the video starting? Not that there aren't legit incidents of cops overreacting and abusing their power, but I find a lot of these "some person got abused by the cops for just doing X" aren't telling the full stories. And in this case the cops is Black as well, so it's probably not some racial thing. If I'd have to guess the "kid" probably started talking shit and became confrontational.

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts

Aren't you getting a bit tired of searching around to find these anti cop threads?

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

@fueled-system said:

Aren't you getting a bit tired of searching around to find these anti cop threads?

He needs new material?

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

What a shock, cops being cunts to everyone...what else is new?

zpluffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 zpluffy
Member since 2011 • 281 Posts

@fueled-system said:

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

TC probably wondering why men are assaulted by officers more than women.

watchdogsrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#10 watchdogsrules
Member since 2014 • 551 Posts

"to protect and serve" my ass

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

you guys just don't know how to play the game.

i married a telecommunications dispatcher and got in the family.

i could literally go downtown get shitfaced, take a dump in the intersection while hitting a bong and then do doughnuts in my car in it and they would give me a ride home.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

@davillain-: I think what Riverwolf007's post is trying to say is that since his wife is apart of the dispatch team, he could do a lot of bad uncivil things in public and get away.

Yrkoon99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Yrkoon99
Member since 2007 • 494 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

Says he pleaded guilty already to disorderly conduct, I highly doubt (despite how wrong this all seems), that there will be any legal recourse here.

yeh under duress im guessing lol

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts

A damn shame but a typical day in the US, unfortunately. Shows you the kind of deplorable state the US is in.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 The_Last_Ride

@lamprey263: yeah, i don't think there will come anything out of this. Even with this as evidence

@SaintLeonidas said:

i feel sorry for you

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

i feel sorry for you

Note class, how the TC did not actually deny my post.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 The_Last_Ride

@SaintLeonidas said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

i feel sorry for you

Note class, how the TC did not actually deny my post.

Because i don't feel the need for it. There is no base in it...

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Look on the bright side, at least he wasn't gunned down. Progress.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Stop resisting.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts
@Renevent42 said:

So what happened prior to the video starting? Not that there aren't legit incidents of cops overreacting and abusing their power, but I find a lot of these "some person got abused by the cops for just doing X" aren't telling the full stories. And in this case the cops is Black as well, so it's probably not some racial thing. If I'd have to guess the "kid" probably started talking shit and became confrontational.

How does that matter? The guy had surrendered, the cop is clearly abusing force explicitly to punish the kid.

Stay classy kids.

bigblunt537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23  Edited By bigblunt537
Member since 2003 • 6907 Posts

That video just showed the end to the conflict. If an off-duty or out of uniform cop pulled him over it was most likely with reason. I've been pulled over without reason in NY several times and although I was pissed off I did what they said and 2-3 min later I was on my way.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 The_Last_Ride

@copsareevil said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Apparantly the cops thought it was marijuana, but it was only a cigarette. The cops answered by knocking the teenager out and handcuffing him to the hospital bed. The teen has had nerve problems in his arms and suffered memory loss after the incident

Link

This just proves that cops should be treated like the criminals they are. They're evil and power hungry freaks of nature.

Not all of them, but it seems to be the case here

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Renevent42
@MlauTheDaft said:
@Renevent42 said:

How does that matter? The guy had surrendered, the cop is clearly abusing force explicitly to punish the kid.

Stay classy kids.

Of course it matters the supposed story is "officer knocks out teenager for smoking a cigarette"...if the teenager was fighting/being aggressive with the cop this obviously wasn't because he was smoking...I mean that should be pretty freaking obvious so it CLEARLY matters. Doesn't mean the cop was completely justified, but it certainly would shit all over the interpretation of the story. Cop could have been still too aggressive, but if say the teenager was being very aggressive or confrontational well that's a big part of the reason why this situation escalated as such.

The only people not interested in what preceded the video starting are those only interested in a specific narrative.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

@Renevent42 said:
@MlauTheDaft said:
@Renevent42 said:

Stay classy kids.

Of course it matters the supposed story is "officer knocks out teenager for smoking a cigarette"...if the teenager was fighting/being aggressive with the cop this obviously wasn't because he was smoking...I mean that should be pretty freaking obvious so it CLEARLY matters. Doesn't mean the cop was completely justified, but it certainly would shit all over the interpretation of the story. Cop could have been still too aggressive, but if say the teenager was being very aggressive or confrontational well that's a big part of the reason why this situation escalated as such.

The only people not interested in what preceded the video starting are those only interested in a specific narrative.

There's a video of it and the cop pistolwhips the kid after he's surrendered, which is in fact illegal. Cops are not supposed to take their frustrations out on civilians, perpetrator or not.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Renevent42
@MlauTheDaft said:

@Renevent42 said:
@MlauTheDaft said:
@Renevent42 said:

Stay classy kids.

There's a video of it and the cop pistolwhips the kid after he's surrendered, which is in fact illegal. Cops are not supposed to take their frustrations out on civilians, perpetrator or not.

At what point in the video does the cop pistol whip the kid? Not saying that didn't happen but I didn't see the cop hit the kid with the butt of a gun. At any rate I already said that the cop based on the video seems to be going too far, but what precedes it absolutely matters. To even suggest it doesn't shows a gigantic bias on your part.

*edit*

Article says punches as well:

"The moment of the apparent knockout blow is partially obscured in the footage, but the officer appears to punch Hamer in the face with his left hand, prompting protests from Hamer's friends."

glassrealms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By glassrealms
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

@l34052 said:

Wow. Isn't this more indicative of humans as a whole? Some are good, some are assholes. Sometimes good people can mess up and sometimes assholes can redeem themselves.

redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 redstorm72
Member since 2008 • 4646 Posts

So, just to go by the cop haters logic in this thread. Since all cops are evil sacks of shit for the actions of a few, my guess is you should also think that all civilians are basically the devil incarnate because the vast majority of assaults, murders and rapes going on in america are done by good ol' civilians. And since we like to paint everyone with the same brush and all, I guess I can be safe in calling all the cop haters a giant pile of shit right? No, logic doesn't work that way.

Long story short, I don't get the irrational hatred of cops. To me it always just screamed immaturity. Anyone who has actually dealt with cops on a regular basis knows that cops are just people. There are good ones and bad ones, but as long as you aren't an ass hat to them, they will not bother you.