Teenager has stomach removed after drinking LN2 cocktail

• 120 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by clyde46 (45439 posts) -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/19866191

A teenager has had emergency surgery to remove her stomach after drinking a cocktail containing liquid nitrogen.

Lancashire Police say the 18-year-old was out with friends in Lancaster on Thursday 4 October when it happened.

The woman is reported to have become breathless and developed severe stomach pain before being taken to Lancaster Royal Infirmary.

Officers say she would have died if doctors had not performed the operation.

The woman, from Heysham in Lancashire, was taken to hospital at 11pm.

She was diagnosed with a perforated, or pierced stomach. The 18-year-old is now in a serious but stable condition.

Medicine

Lancashire Police have not named the place where she bought the cocktail, but say it has stopped selling it.

A statement said: "The premises involved have fully co-operated with all agencies and have suspended drinks involving liquid nitrogen.

"The investigation is still in its early stages and we are still interviewing witnesses to establish the full facts."

The force said they had been warning other bars in the town about what had happened.

Heston Blumenthal has popularised the use of liquid nitrogen in cooking, using it to make ice cream.

It is also used in medicine to remove unwanted skin, warts and pre-cancerous cells, while in industry it can be used as a coolant for things like computers.

Additionally it has been used in cryogenics, where scientists find what happens to materials at very cold temperatures.

#2 Posted by applesxc47 (10761 posts) -

What kind of bar sells that crazy shlt over the counter?

#3 Posted by chaoscougar1 (36784 posts) -
D: What kind of fvcking idiot would think that ingesting something with a temp of around 70K is a good idea?
#4 Posted by clyde46 (45439 posts) -
Its quite a popular ingredient for cocktails and it is legal to sell in the UK.
#5 Posted by chaoscougar1 (36784 posts) -
Its quite a popular ingredient for cocktails and it is legal to sell in the UK. clyde46
How?
#6 Posted by shadowkiller11 (7954 posts) -

[QUOTE="clyde46"]Its quite a popular ingredient for cocktails and it is legal to sell in the UK. chaoscougar1
How?

I don't think it's just in the UK but yep it's legal although after this I suspect severe regulations or it being banned will happen soon.

#7 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

What in the blue f*ck is wrong with some people?

#8 Posted by hippiesanta (9817 posts) -
I see some bartender add dry ice into cocktail to make that fog effect
#9 Posted by ultimate-k (2348 posts) -

Jeeze thats sounds horrible and its a person in my age group living in the same area as I. Hope they find who is responsible

#10 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

Jeeze thats sounds horrible and its a person in my age group living in the same area as I. Hope they find who is responsible

ultimate-k

You didn't really read the article did you?

#11 Posted by ultimate-k (2348 posts) -

[QUOTE="ultimate-k"]

worlock77

I did, but they have not named the cocktail company, they need to be named and shamed, and then a full mob can go over there.

#12 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="ultimate-k"]

ultimate-k

I did, but they have not named the cocktail company, they need to be named and shamed, and then a full mob can go over there.

Why? For doing something legal that numerous others are doing?

#13 Posted by Horgen (110078 posts) -
I see some bartender add dry ice into cocktail to make that fog effecthippiesanta
That's frozen CO2...
#14 Posted by l4dak47 (6838 posts) -
wow.
#15 Posted by Dogswithguns (10708 posts) -
Stomach removed?!.. OMG!!!
#16 Posted by Jebus213 (8758 posts) -
[QUOTE="hippiesanta"]I see some bartender add dry ice into cocktail to make that fog effecthorgen123
That's frozen CO2...

Still makes a fog effect..
#17 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150475 posts) -
WTF why are they making drinks with liquid nitrogen and what morons are buying it?
#18 Posted by toast_burner (21471 posts) -

Only in Lancashire.

To be honest if i lived there I'd probably end up doing stupid crap like that to stay entertained.

#19 Posted by punkpunker (3321 posts) -

Stomach removed?!.. OMG!!!Dogswithguns

humans can live without a stomach you know.

#20 Posted by chaoscougar1 (36784 posts) -

[QUOTE="Dogswithguns"]Stomach removed?!.. OMG!!!punkpunker

Whats your point? Having your stomach removed is kinda serious you know
#21 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

Sadly I can see this entire situation happening, especially with some people I've met at various bars.

Girl looks down at clearly dangerous drink, says "YOLO", and something stupid happens resulting in the person's near death.

#22 Posted by punkpunker (3321 posts) -

Sadly I can see this entire situation happening, especially with some people I've met at various bars.

Girl looks down at clearly dangerous drink, says "YOLO", and something stupid happens resulting in the person's near death.

IndianaPwns39

no need to say that, as a racing enthusiast some dick said YOLO and then thrashed a priceless piece of motoring history caught on tape.

#23 Posted by themajormayor (25713 posts) -
So how's she gonna eat without a stomach???
#24 Posted by ionusX (25715 posts) -

back in my day we tricked our friends into streaking after a night of clubbing..

now kids are ingesting volatile chemical compounds...

some days ol ionus is happy he grew up when he did

#25 Posted by comp_atkins (31284 posts) -
stupid kids...
#26 Posted by Allicrombie (25150 posts) -
back in my day, we drank orange juice.
#27 Posted by klusps (10381 posts) -

Although I know people can live without a stomach, how is she going to eat?

#28 Posted by Allicrombie (25150 posts) -

klusps
probably get nutrition intravenously for awhile.
#29 Posted by ScorpionTroll (842 posts) -

I think you have to be flat out insane in the membrane to drink something like that. Even moonshine won't put a damn hole in your stomach.

#30 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

klusps

Through her mouth.

#31 Posted by tocool340 (20490 posts) -
WTF why are they making drinks with liquid nitrogen and what morons are buying it?LJS9502_basic
Those with a death wish or those with a mental capacity of a cockroach I presume...
#32 Posted by MrGeezer (56154 posts) -
stupid kids...comp_atkins
That's really not fair at all. As stated in the article, businesses have a legal obligation to make sure that food and drinks are safe for consumption. And there's not even any mention of whether or not she was warned of the dangers (at least in the USA, even places that sell raw oysters have to have warning signs clearly visible in the building). This wasn't something that she mixed herself, it seems to be something sold over the counter at a legitimate business, and there's no excuse for that.
#33 Posted by GhettoBlastin92 (1148 posts) -

[QUOTE="klusps"]

worlock77

Through her mouth.

LOL. Anyway, this is crazy.
#34 Posted by MannyDelgado (1250 posts) -

What interests me is the implication that it was a regular product that they sold. Did other people drink it without issue? If so, what did she do? Maybe she downed it or something. I dunno.

edit: also, sure is hindsight in here

#35 Posted by MrGeezer (56154 posts) -

What interests me is the implication that it was a regular product that they sold. Did other people drink it without issue? If so, what did she do? Maybe she downed it or something. I dunno.

edit: also, sure is hindsight in here

MannyDelgado
Yeah, and that's just the thing...if she had made the drink herself or gotten it in some shady basement or something, I'd be on board calling her an idiot. But it seems implied that this was just sold over the counter at a legitimate establishment, same as any other cocktail. What reason would she really have to think that it would have those effects?
#37 Posted by PinkiePirate (2086 posts) -

back in my day, we drank orange juice.Allicrombie

I mostly drink water. Forget alcohol, soda and red bull! Water is the best.

#38 Posted by Sajo7 (14049 posts) -
I enjoy a dive as much as the next person, but I am think I am being reasonable when I expect a legitimate bar to not sell something that perforates my stomach.
#39 Posted by villa4europe (7081 posts) -

is that a chain of bars cos there is one called the same in my town

she should have stuck to one of their more sensible drinks such as the gas chamber - double absynthe set on fire with a large wine glass over the top, you suck the vapour through a straw and then down another double absynthe

goodnight vienna

#40 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -
So how's she gonna eat without a stomach???themajormayor
yeah, but how's she gonna get hungry? well played, doctors.
#41 Posted by WiiCubeM1 (4727 posts) -

This is going on the list of crazy European trends that makes the US look normal.

#42 Posted by hoola (6422 posts) -

I'd like to know if she did something wrong or if the business did. They may have said "wait X seconds before you drink it" and she didn't hear that and downed it. It obviously isn't a common thing otherwise they wouldn't have sold them in the first place.

#43 Posted by KiIIyou (27145 posts) -
Did they put is back later?
#44 Posted by Dogswithguns (10708 posts) -
[QUOTE="punkpunker"]

[QUOTE="Dogswithguns"]Stomach removed?!.. OMG!!!chaoscougar1

Whats your point? Having your stomach removed is kinda serious you know

Howthahell are you gonna eat your food?!.. thru your brain?!
#45 Posted by clyde46 (45439 posts) -
I enjoy a dive as much as the next person, but I am think I am being reasonable when I expect a legitimate bar to not sell something that perforates my stomach.Sajo7
Its a popular thing over here. People use it to make ice cream.
#46 Posted by JohnF111 (14068 posts) -
Adding dry ice is fair enough, but liquid nitrogen? Dear god anyone who willingly drinks that is completely complying with Darwin's theory of natural selection.
#47 Posted by Storm_Marine (10790 posts) -

Back in my day we made cocktails with gin, grenadine, Benedictine, pineapple juice, and other non-lethal substances.

Now there's this shi t. Well done Britain.

#48 Posted by thegerg (14917 posts) -
[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"]D: What kind of fvcking idiot would think that ingesting something with a temp of around 70K is a good idea?

He likely didn't know exactly what it was or the dangers of drinking it. He's probably not an idiot, just ignorant.
#49 Posted by Storm_Marine (10790 posts) -

[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"]D: What kind of fvcking idiot would think that ingesting something with a temp of around 70K is a good idea?thegerg
He likely didn't know exactly what it was or the dangers of drinking it. He's probably not an idiot, just ignorant.

SHE.

why did you assume it was a guy? Your sexist assumptions offend me.

#50 Posted by thegerg (14917 posts) -

[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="chaoscougar1"]D: What kind of fvcking idiot would think that ingesting something with a temp of around 70K is a good idea?Storm_Marine

SHE.

why did you assume it was a guy? Your sexist assumptions offend me.

I assumed it was a guy because I only skimmed the article and it's a fact that males take part in more risky behavior than females. It has nothing to do with sexism. Your assumptions about my sexism are stupid.