Taliban releases last US hostage

#1 Edited by Ariabed (1103 posts) -

http://m.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/2014/05/31/8b764dac-e8db-11e3-a86b-362fd5443d19_story.html

It's all good that the hostage was released after five long years, but at what cost was his freedom, if these afghan inmates are high profile doesn't that mean they are potentially dangerous? Also do you agree with the agreement to release the five afghans for the release of the US hostage, and that negotiations were even taking place? After all it's against US policy to negotiate with militant groups, it kinda sends out the wrong message to terrorist.

#2 Posted by Master_Live (14401 posts) -

Lawmakers Question Deal Behind Soldier's Release

From the article:

"Trading five senior Taliban leaders from detention in Guantanamo Bay for Bergdahl's release may have consequences for the rest of our forces and all Americans" by giving terrorists "a strong incentive to capture Americans."

They also said that President Barack Obama "clearly violated laws which require him to notify Congress thirty days before any transfer of terrorists from Guantanamo Bay."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If he failed to notify Congress about the transfer in the appropriate time then he violated the law, there is not two ways about it.

#3 Posted by Masculus (2834 posts) -

"We don't negotiate with terrorists."

Lol. Anyway, good luck for the ex-prisoners.

#4 Edited by lostrib (35698 posts) -

oh, this might not end well

#5 Posted by xerxes5678 (4702 posts) -

This is why I could never run a country. Since we have the soldier in our possession and the five prisoners in custody pending transfer, I would just say "psych!" and blow their brains out and send the tape to the Taliban.

#6 Edited by indzman (17555 posts) -

Its good , Its US policy of leave no one behind. As for those leaders being released , if they try anything again US can capture them or kill them.Personally i don't think Taliban gonna mess with US again after all this.

#7 Edited by Ariabed (1103 posts) -

Can't believe they left him in Taliban hands for five years! Did it take five years to reach an agreement or what? Maybe the US was hoping the problem would go away before they withdrew.

#8 Posted by GazaAli (22648 posts) -

You know, if these 5 Taliban prisoners were not incarcerated in Guantanamo I wouldn't have approved of the deal. But poor soldier, he spent 5 years as a prisoner of war with the Taliban, God knows what they did to him. I guess PTSD is the least of his concern.

#9 Edited by GazaAli (22648 posts) -

@indzman said:

Its good , Its US policy of leave no one behind. As for those leaders being released , if they try anything again US can capture them or kill them.Personally i don't think Taliban gonna mess with US again after all this.

The Taliban didn't really mess with the U.S, like ever. Supposedly they hosted Al-Qaida which is in turn who messed with the U.S.

#10 Edited by indzman (17555 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@indzman said:

The Taliban didn't really mess with the U.S, like ever. Supposedly they hosted Al-Qaida which is in turn who messed with the U.S.

Ahhh, i guess Al Qaida won't mess with US or vice versa again after such loss on both sides. Let there be peace :)

#11 Edited by Ariabed (1103 posts) -

@GazaAli: The Taliban government in Afghanistan offered to present Osama bin Laden for a trial long before the attacks of September 11, 2001, but the US government showed no interest,and now the US want to make back alley deals with them. The US should have talked with these guys a long long time ago, it could have saved so many lives.

#12 Posted by GazaAli (22648 posts) -

@ariabed said:

@GazaAli: The Taliban government in Afghanistan offered to present Osama bin Laden for a trial long before the attacks of September 11, 2001, but the US government showed no interest,and now the US want to make back alley deals with them. The US should have talked with these guys a long long time ago, it could have saved so many lives.

I recall hearing/reading about this awhile ago actually, which is a further evidence that the war on Afghanistan was uncalled for and a hasty, catastrophic decision. As I stated once in a former topic on the same subject (I believe it was also made by you), I can think of a dozen of other scenarios that would have neutralized Al-Qaida post-9/11 without waging a fully fledged war against another country and without the hefty death toll and heaps of wasted resources.

#13 Posted by Ariabed (1103 posts) -

@lostrib:

"oh, this might not end well"

End well?! It hasn't even started well!! 10 comments!!? thought this would have been a good thread topic, guess I was wrong.

#14 Posted by hippiesanta (9836 posts) -

luckily it's not the Hamas ...... when they release Hostage for exchange detainees ..... it means that they release human remains

#15 Edited by resevl4rlz (3276 posts) -

he needs to be put on trial if he was looking for the terrorist to join them

#16 Posted by whipassmt (14024 posts) -

I was gonna post a thread about this, but now the TC has saved me some work.

Earlier this morning FoxNews had was talking to a Congressman about this. He did say that the administration failed to notify congress, and he also said that he can't say whether Congress would've approved the deal if they had been notified or not, because he doesn't know enough details. They also showed a clip from CNN where National Security Advisor Susan Rice was explaining that Congress was not notified because there were concerns about Bergdahl's health, which meant that there was a "narrow window of opportunity" for the swap to go through. Also according to Fox the five Taliban officials held the following positions, if I remember correctly: one was a "senior official", one was a provincial official, one was a military commander, one was a political leader and one was an intelligence official.

As far as my thoughts, I'm not sure about this whole deal. It's good for Sgt. Bergdahl and his family and friends. It does seem that the deal was probably illegal because Congress was not notified 30 days in advance, though concerns for Bergdahl's health may justify that, Bergdahl's life is more important than legal technicalities.

I don't really like the fact that we released five prisoners in exchange for one, though he is the only prisoner they had. Also the prisoners are higher ranking for the Taliban, than Bergdahl is for the U.S., so I would've preferred to have released lower ranking Taliban instead of them.

Concern for Bergdahl's health, may have put more pressure on the U.S., making us accept a worse deal than we could have got. It would've been better if we could have released less prisoners, say 3 instead of 5. In particular I think it would've been better if the US could have kept the intel person in custody.

#17 Edited by whipassmt (14024 posts) -

@hippiesanta:

I think that was Hezbollah, who did that, not Hamas.

#18 Edited by hippiesanta (9836 posts) -
#19 Posted by whipassmt (14024 posts) -

Interestingly enough I saw a poll on tv that said that 68% of veterans believe that the U.S. government made the wrong decision in this prisoner swap.

#20 Posted by hydralisk86 (8536 posts) -

@ariabed: I don't remember the exact details, but the news on TV said that the US soldier basically wandered off by himself, and then was later captured by the Taliban. Someone who knew him in the military said that it was, "a spit in the face," because not only did he basically desert, but a number of people somehow died because of him.

Then of course there is the fact that 5 very dangerous men were traded for him.

#21 Edited by vl4d_l3nin (920 posts) -

@hydralisk86 said:

but a number of people somehow died because of him.

They died looking for him, and I've considered that to be kind of a moot point. The fact that he abandoned his mission is bad, I get that, but the punishment should not be the U.S. military abandoning him.