Tablet recommendation

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by motrebhamboly1 (130 posts) -

Im planning to buy a tablet but I'm very confused about it; as im a desktop pc fan
please give me your recommendations  

#2 Posted by ferrari2001 (16815 posts) -
Depends what size you want and what infrastructure and price range you are looking for. The ipad is of course the industry leader but like most apple products the OS infrastructure is quickly becoming outdated. The Nexus 7 is the best small tablet (if you are looking for a 7 in tablet), it's also great in the fact that in runs just over $200 and definitely one of the cheaper tablets on the market. If you want a large android tablet then look no further then the Google Nexus 10 or the Samsung Note 8 or 10.1. Finally if you want a tablet for a business environment with included word and excel and the ability to run PC programs then you may check out the Surface Pro (although it's a lot more expensive).
#3 Posted by Amster_G (4289 posts) -

As a PC fan yourself, there's several Windows-based tablet out there. Unless you feel like trying something new, you could go the Android root. Personally, I'd steer away from anything Apple (iPad).

#4 Posted by stanleycup98 (6144 posts) -
If you want a stable tablet without any work, get a Nexus 7 or 10. Whichever size fits you better. If you want a very good value tablet that you have to do some work for, get a Nook HD+. Then follow these instructions to wipe the stock OS and install CM 10.1. For about $175 you then get a stock Android, 9 inch, full HD tablet. You won't find a better deal/ Personally I did the second option and love it. The new Nexus 7 is a great value, but I didn't want a 7 inch tablet. I looked at the 10 but it's way overpriced.
#5 Posted by motrebhamboly1 (130 posts) -

My price range is slightly over 200$ and Ill be using it mainly for watching HD movies, light gaming and web browsing if it has a 3G connection it will be great

#6 Posted by lostrib (34518 posts) -

My price range is slightly over 200$ and Ill be using it mainly for watching HD movies, light gaming and web browsing if it has a 3G connection it will be great

motrebhamboly1

Best choice would probably be the new nexus 7, but that only has WiFi. If you want 3G/4G/LTE service, then you'd probably have to go with a Galaxy Tab/Note on contract from a cellular provider

#7 Posted by JustBeYourself (576 posts) -
Tablets are bloody annoying when trying to surf the internet or type tbh
#8 Posted by Blueresident87 (5336 posts) -

Stay away from Apple products, first and foremost.

The Nexus line (7 and 10) are both very good tablets and reasonably priced. 

#9 Posted by JustBeYourself (576 posts) -

Stay away from Apple products, first and foremost.Blueresident87

lol, the nu-hipster thing to say

#10 Posted by Blueresident87 (5336 posts) -

[QUOTE="Blueresident87"]

Stay away from Apple products, first and foremost.JustBeYourself

lol, the nu-hipster thing to say

No, I actually said it because Apple products are terrible. Been saying it for about 5 years now.

#11 Posted by JustBeYourself (576 posts) -
Except they're not terrible? What's the alternative? The nexus? Why would I want to use a tablet named after one of the most illogical plot devices in science fiction movie history?
#12 Posted by lostrib (34518 posts) -

Except they're not terrible? What's the alternative? The nexus? Why would I want to use a tablet named after one of the most illogical plot devices in science fiction movie history?JustBeYourself

because it gets direct updates from google

#13 Posted by Blueresident87 (5336 posts) -

Except they're not terrible? What's the alternative? The nexus? Why would I want to use a tablet named after one of the most illogical plot devices in science fiction movie history?JustBeYourself

You got it...the Nexus is a great alternative, but it's all opinion really. I just don't think too highly of Apple and their products.

#14 Posted by Serraph105 (27822 posts) -

[QUOTE="motrebhamboly1"]

lostrib

Best choice would probably be the new nexus 7, but that only has WiFi. If you want 3G/4G/LTE service, then you'd probably have to go with a Galaxy Tab/Note on contract from a cellular provider

I concur with the Nexus 7, but yeah no 3G/4G yet. They do intend to come out with one later, but you will be getting close to the $300 range.
#15 Posted by Serraph105 (27822 posts) -

Blueresident87
The Ipad is in no way a bad product, it's just a tad expensive.
#16 Posted by heeweesRus (5609 posts) -
Nexus
#17 Posted by zeroyaoi (1914 posts) -

[QUOTE="Blueresident87"]

Serraph105

The Ipad is in no way a bad product, it's just a tad expensive.

I don't understand why apple is hated so much.Yes! their products are expensive, but the quality isn't an issue.

The ipad is a great tablet. If I were in the market for a tablet I'd get that one.

#18 Posted by lostrib (34518 posts) -

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="motrebhamboly1"]

Serraph105

I concur with the Nexus 7, but yeah no 3G/4G yet. They do intend to come out with one later, but you will be getting close to the $300 range.

Yeah 4G version coming out "soon" but it's $350+cost of service

#19 Posted by psn8214 (14924 posts) -

Get a Nexus, thank me later.

#20 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150335 posts) -
Tablets are bloody annoying when trying to surf the internet or type tbhJustBeYourself
Yep.
#21 Posted by Horgen (110055 posts) -
Do you have the chance to try both an android device and iPad?
#22 Posted by MFDOOM1983 (8453 posts) -
[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="motrebhamboly1"]

Serraph105

$350 to be exact. That's for a 32GB model.