Sunshine confuses me

#1 Posted by uninspiredcup (7869 posts) -

To clarify, Pinbacker (the burnt guy) is possessed by some kind of sun alien, or something? Or does he just have cabin fever? I don't get it. Why is he flickering out of focus and seems to be superhuman?

#2 Edited by speedfreak48t5p (6976 posts) -

#3 Posted by themajormayor (25704 posts) -

It's a pretty bad movie.

#4 Posted by dave123321 (33795 posts) -
#5 Posted by Tangmashi (1051 posts) -

It was a good movie until the 3rd act, then it just fell off the deep end.

#6 Edited by Byshop (11164 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

To clarify, Pinbacker (the burnt guy) is possessed by some kind of sun alien, or something? Or does he just have cabin fever? I don't get it. Why is he flickering out of focus and seems to be superhuman?

Honestly, he was a poorly written plot device to artificially add more tension near the end of the film. I didn't get the impression he was an alien or supernatural, just crazy in a similar way to the guy who was giving himself 1 second full body tans was. Being so close to the sun, he's driven mad by the concept of that awesome power. Or something. The camera effects came off to me like they were supposed to be a reflection of his crazy, rather than some sort of supernatural element.

While I got what you're talking about, next time you might want to lead with a more clear title like 'The movie "Sunshine" confuses me'.

-Byshop

#7 Posted by lostrib (34689 posts) -

Isn't the ending the part that everyone hated about that movie?

But according to wikipedia, he was just nuts

#8 Posted by Randolph (10473 posts) -

I just hated how wildly inaccurate the science being presented was. I blame Neil Degrasse Tyson for that.

#9 Posted by Serraph105 (27824 posts) -

I thought touching the surface of the sun was incredibly realistic. :P

Seriously though for the most part the movie was boring and then at the end it just made no sense. Can't believe anyone still talks about it to be honest.

#11 Edited by uninspiredcup (7869 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Isn't the ending the part that everyone hated about that movie?

But according to wikipedia, he was just nuts

Eh. A higher life form alien living in the sun probably would have been more interesting. The whole blurry effect thing would have made more sense.

#12 Posted by Byshop (11164 posts) -

Honestly it was just a very mediocre sci-fi movie. The whole "self sacrifice" motif was very heavy handed and they had to add a crazy guy to add tension where there was otherwise none. I watched it once and promptly forgot about it.

-Byshop

#13 Posted by sukraj (22177 posts) -
#14 Posted by Boddicker (2533 posts) -

At that much constant exposure he would have been blinded permanently and probably have gotten cancer.

You'd think they'd screen these people better for a mission of that importance. But yeah, honestly it was a ridiculous movie from a scientific POV. Still, I like the movie.

#15 Edited by Wilfred_Owen (20835 posts) -

Way to go Captain.

#16 Edited by foxhound_fox (87754 posts) -

The Sun wouldn't "grow dim" and need to be "reinvigorated".

It doesn't matter what Pinbacker was. Just suspend your disbelief and enjoy the SFX.