Summer Films That You're Waiting On

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16878 Posts

I know this is the umpteenth topic I've made that's movie related in the last few days, so apologies in advance.

(On a side note, this 60 character title limit sucks ass.)

The summer movie season is still two months and some change away, but I'm just curious to see which movies OT is waiting for. Here's mine...

A giant creature stomping seven shades of crap outta cities--what's not to like? Although judging by the scale here, it looks like he's gonna be MASSIVE. I don't recall him being so large in his other movies. Not a complaint, just an observation.

Which movies are on your schedule?

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts

Boyhood.

Godzilla is the blockbuster I'm looking forward to the most. I'm interested to see if that poster is accurate. That is a lot larger than I was predicting.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@sammyjenkis898 said:

Boyhood.

Godzilla is the blockbuster I'm looking forward to the most. I'm interested to see if that poster is accurate. That is a lot larger than I was predicting.

I heard this version is supposed to be the largest version of him to date, but godDAMN, that's big. I wasn't expecting scale like that.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

For reference I will define Summer for movies starting at May and ending on early August. But I got a problem, I always have this problem come summer and it is that I never seem to have money to go to the movies. Gotta fix that lol.

1. Jersey Boys
  2. X-Men: Days of Future Past
  3. Edge of Tomorrow
  4. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  5. Godzilla
  6. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
  7. Guardians of the Galaxy
  8. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1
  9. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#5 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

I havent even seen most of the Oscar nominees yet !

I'm nowhere near a fan of comic book or super hero movies, but that Days of Future Past trailer really doesn't look bad at all. I'd be up for seeing that.

LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts

Godzilla and Planet of the Apes. Pacific Rim impressed me the most last summer, loved that movie.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@Master_Live: Wasn't aware that they were turning Jersey Boys into a movie. Gonna have to check that out. Lost interest in the X-Men movies after The Last Stand, but heard good things about First Class--I Imaging I'll have to watch that before the latest one this summer. I'm surprised to see TMNT on your list considering a lot of people think that anything related to Michael Bay is the apocalypse .

Brutal_Elitegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Brutal_Elitegs
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts

@hallenbeck77 said:

@sammyjenkis898 said:

Boyhood.

I heard this version is supposed to be the largest version of him to date, but godDAMN, that's big. I wasn't expecting scale like that.

I doubt he's that big. You can see the same cityscape in the teaser when the paratroopers are falling and a shot of Godzilla among the buildings. I think it's just more a case of this.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
@Brutal_Elitegs said:

@hallenbeck77 said:

@sammyjenkis898 said:

Boyhood.

I doubt he's that big. You can see the same cityscape in the teaser when the paratroopers are falling and a shot of Godzilla among the buildings. I think it's just more a case of this.

I seriously hope not. He may not be as big as the poster--I hope he is, though--but there's no way they're gonna make him as dinky as they did with the '98 version. They just can't.

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

Guardians of the Galaxy. It would be Winter Soldier had it been released in the summer. Guardians, especially since the first trailer, looks like a whole lot of fun.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

Guardians of the Galaxy, the next Hobbit film, Mockingjay Part 1 and Godzilla.

destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts

Uhhh SIN CITY 2!!!!

Godzilla also looks friggin' awesome. Dawn of The Planet of The Apes, How To Train Your Dragon 2, The Fault In Our Stars, 22 Jump Street, Divergent, The Amazing Spiderman 2, Transcendence, Guardians of The Galaxy. All of these are gonna be great.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#13  Edited By LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

i don't know all the releases, but sin city 2 and transcendence (kinda early for summer, but you know the type) look good.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#14 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58926 Posts

X-Men: Days of Future Past looks great. I love the xmen movies, even the shit ones.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

I'm looking forward to seeing Zero Theorum, a Terry Gilliam film, it'll probably be bad but I keep holding out for a potentially good Terry Gilliam flick. Anyhow, it doesn't have a US release date yet.

Tqricardinho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Tqricardinho
Member since 2013 • 477 Posts

I don't know, there are a lot... I'll pick my favourites:

1. Godzilla
  2. The Amazing Spider-Man
  3. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
  4. X-Men: Days of the Future Past
Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

Can't say anything excites me yet. Nothing original, apparently. Just a herd of more cash cows looking for some serious milking from all of the suckers.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@Tqricardinho said:

I don't know, there are a lot... I'll pick my favourites:

1. Godzilla
  2. The Amazing Spider-Man
  3. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
  4. X-Men: Days of the Future Past

This :)

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

Hopefully another Madea's movie

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

@hallenbeck77 said:

@Master_Live: Wasn't aware that they were turning Jersey Boys into a movie. Gonna have to check that out. Lost interest in the X-Men movies after The Last Stand, but heard good things about First Class--I Imaging I'll have to watch that before the latest one this summer. I'm surprised to see TMNT on your list considering a lot of people think that anything related to Michael Bay is the apocalypse .

First class is honestly my fav of the X-Men movies. I HIGHLY recommend checking that one out. Really surprised me how good it was.

As for summer movies, I am looking forward to a huge chunk of them...

Movies I am looking forward too:

Godzilla

X-Men: Days of Future Past

Captain America: Winter Soldier

The Amazing Spiderman 2

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Guardians of the Galaxy

22 Jump Street

21 Jump Street seriously surprised me with how funny it was. Had not been interested until I heard a lot of good things about it. Not only was that movie hilarious, but this director duo has been proving themselves to be simply FANTASTIC. The Lego Movie was another movie that I went to see after hearing all the good word of mouth and holy SHIT was that movie AMAZING! I might just have to see whatever those two put out from now on as they seem to always make solid movies.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@LostProphetFLCL said:

21 Jump Street seriously surprised me with how funny it was. Had not been interested until I heard a lot of good things about it. Not only was that movie hilarious, but this director duo has been proving themselves to be simply FANTASTIC. The Lego Movie was another movie that I went to see after hearing all the good word of mouth and holy SHIT was that movie AMAZING! I might just have to see whatever those two put out from now on as they seem to always make solid movies.

Those two seem to be on the money so far. I like how they can jump back and forth between family friendly movies that are actually good, and the more raunchier stuff.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LoG-Sacrament
@lamprey263 said:

I'm looking forward to seeing Zero Theorum, a Terry Gilliam film, it'll probably be bad but I keep holding out for a potentially good Terry Gilliam flick. Anyhow, it doesn't have a US release date yet.

just saw the trailer a few days ago. looks like another restrained gilliam movie. that guy should really learn to let himself go :P

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

@hallenbeck77 said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

Those two seem to be on the money so far. I like how they can jump back and forth between family friendly movies that are actually good, and the more raunchier stuff.

What really blows me away is that they make these family movies funny as hell without even needing to sneak in a bunch of adult humor. They somehow transcend that barrier between kid humor and adult humor in a way that they will have BOTH groups laughing at the same time.

I am still blown away by how funny The Lego Movie was. Princess Unikitty was one of the most epic things ever and I can't help but love screaming "SPACESHIP!" at people now...

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

@Master_Live said:

For reference I will define Summer for movies starting at May and ending on early August. But I got a problem, I always have this problem come summer and it is that I never seem to have money to go to the movies. Gotta fix that lol.

1. Jersey Boys
  3. Edge of Tomorrow
  5. Godzilla

Theaters are way too expensive, better just to wait until it comes to Netflix, Redbox, cable, or cheap theaters. I think I've seen one movie in theaters so far this year.

Anyway, I'll most definitely see Guardians and Hobbit, Spider-Man depends on my mood, and X-Men and Hunger Games depends on if my friends want to see them. Other than that I either don't care about the movies mentioned in this topic or I'll just wait to see them (or they're not summer movies, summer starts in June). Right now I'm more excited about all the Oscar candidates I didn't see in theaters coming to Redbox and Netflix.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#25 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

godzilla

solidruss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 solidruss
Member since 2002 • 24082 Posts

Now that I've seen a trailer Guardians of the Galaxy for sure. Looks great so far!

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@theone86 said:

@Master_Live said:

1. Jersey Boys
  3. Edge of Tomorrow
  5. Godzilla

Theaters are way too expensive, better just to wait until it comes to Netflix, Redbox, cable, or cheap theaters. I think I've seen one movie in theaters so far this year.

Ummm morning shows are really cheapest on multiplexes (weekdays) depending where you live. I've no food on theatres which can be very expensive, i go usually go for morning show ( 8 or 10 a.m shows ) after having breakfast at home or after coming home from movies.Saves me loads of money and i'm able to watch all movies i want to watch day 1 Heh.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28  Edited By chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

Days of Future Past is what I'm looking forward to the most, just hope they don't screw it up.

Others: Godzilla, Guardians of the Galaxy, How to Train Your Dragon 2,

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Only ones I am excited for are Edge of Tomorrow and Guardians of the Galaxy. This Summer looks pretty tame compared to 2015.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@Aljosa23 said:

This Summer looks pretty tame compared to 2015.

The only thing I was interested in WAS the Avengers vs. Batman/Superman fight at the box office, until Warner Bros. blinked and moved their movie back to 2016.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

@indzman said:

@theone86 said:

@Master_Live said:

1. Jersey Boys
  3. Edge of Tomorrow
  5. Godzilla

Ummm morning shows are really cheapest on multiplexes (weekdays) depending where you live. I've no food on theatres which can be very expensive, i go usually go for morning show ( 8 or 10 a.m shows ) after having breakfast at home or after coming home from movies.Saves me loads of money and i'm able to watch all movies i want to watch day 1 Heh.

They're still pretty expensive. When cheap is like seven or eight bucks then you know something is wrong. That's not even counting the fact that I can drop fifteen bucks just on a small drink and popcorn. I pay eight bucks a month for Netflix, if there's a movie they don't have that I want to see I can pay a buck for it at Redbox, I get movie channels in my dorm room, and I can buy my own snacks and drinks, not to mention I can drink alcohol if I feel like it. If I really feel like I need to see a movie, either because I'm just really looking forward to it or all my friends are seeing it, then I'll break down and pay. Other than that screw them, I've got better things to waste my money on. So I don't see movies right when they come out, is that really going to affect me all that much?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

@LoG-Sacrament said:
@lamprey263 said:

just saw the trailer a few days ago. looks like another restrained gilliam movie. that guy should really learn to let himself go :P

I saw this in a clip of the trailer plus a trailer review, she has some interesting things to say with regard to Terry Gilliam, and I hadn't given it much thought prior but I kind of agree. Terry Gilliam has a wild imagination and for me that's part of his appeal, but I agree with her that he needs some intervention to keep his films accessible to wider audiences...

Loading Video...
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By LoG-Sacrament

@lamprey263: to be frank, i don't finance his movies so i don't really care whether or not they have a broad appeal. gilliam reminds me a bit of cronenberg (except somehow with more money) in that he's swinging for the fences in pretty much every movie. sometimes his work will be great and sometimes it will suck and oftentimes people will disagree on what is great and what sucks, but he's never boring. if you take that out of him, i don't know how much would be left.

i'm glad she mentioned the fisher king and brazil.

the fisher king was gilliam trying to be restrained and it just doesn't work, partly because gilliam can't keep a straight face in his filmmaking. what starts as a very believable character piece turns into an off-the-wall melodrama and the two parts never fit. you're lead to believe that these characters share our reality and then they do things people would never do and gilliam seemingly is forced to shoot the film like 2 stories, neither telling you much of anything.

brazil immediate establishes itself as either fantasy or gilliam's own emotional reality (whichever you want to see it as, i suppose) and plays around with the idea that there are no rules so long as he can film it. bizarrely, this winds up with more tonal consistency. your expectations are that anything can happen and, right up until the very end, anything does happen. free of realism, gilliam used expressionistic film noir tools to tell the audience that it's more about the overall ride than all the specific events. he's actually able to deliver his message.

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

Right now I don't care at all about the upcoming superhero movies, but Godzilla looks great.

Lord_Daemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#36 Lord_Daemon
Member since 2005 • 24535 Posts
Loading Video...

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#37 bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts
  • Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Sin City
  • TMNT
  • X-men Days of Future Past
  • The Amazing Spiderman 2
  • Hercules
Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@Lord_Daemon said:
Loading Video...

Hell. Yes.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#39 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

Very excited for Godzilla after seeing this latest trailer.

Also interested in X-Men: Days of Future Past, I'm hoping it's gonna be the reboot the series needs.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#40 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Guardians of the Galaxy.