Subscription fraud

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13418 posts) -

I have long been receiving bill notices for a magazine called "OK Magazine" addressed to a massacre of my real name (and they have it assembled in such a way that no human can pronounce it). I have spent much time trying to clear up the fact that I DO NOT subscribe to their print magazine and I NEVER will.

But the notices kept coming.

Today I got a collection notice, and I've just got back from my lawyers office and we are filing suit. fvck em...right in their shitty asshole. :evil:

Has anyone here delt with subscription fraud before, and how did you handle it? Were you able to clear it up with Customer Service? Did you have to jump through hoops?

#2 Posted by Aljosa23 (25890 posts) -

As far as I know there is no such thing as subscription fraud in this context. The closest thing to "subscription fraud" is trying to scam a phone company. Since you didn't actually subscribe to this magazine it is most likely a scam. There exists crooked law firms that make up fake notices just to try and get people who don't know any better to pay a fixed amount of money. I'd consult your lawyers before doing anything else and research the company behind those notices.

#3 Posted by LJS9502_basic (152304 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Yeah but it's not like they can really force you to pay....eventually they'll stop sending it to you.br0kenrabbit

Once it's in collections it's on your credit report. That's what I'm suing over...I have awesome incredible credit, and I'm not going to let these assholes ruin that.

I've kept everything, even the letter stating that "even if this is an error, the fastest way to make it go away is to just pay it off."

Not sure how they can do that without an SSN.

#4 Posted by Yama (34106 posts) -

I've dealt with it for my grandpa as he's not as perceptive when it comes to what to click and what not to.

The main thing is to keep any and all merchandise sent to you. I called and went through two or three representitives, though eventually came to terms that if I had the merchandise and only if I still had it, that I could send it back and they would see to it that the foe "subscription" was cancelled. They eventually sent a check back for the shipping cost.

#5 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13418 posts) -

I've dealt with it for my grandpa as he's not as perceptive when it comes to what to click and what not to.

The main thing is to keep any and all merchandise sent to you. I called and went through two or three representitives, though eventually came to terms that if I had the merchandise and only if I still had it, that I could send it back and they would see to it that the foe "subscription" was cancelled. They eventually sent a check back for the shipping cost.

Yama

I've never recieved an actual magazine, just bills. I mean hell, they can't even get my name right. Let's say my name is Jason (it's not), and on the bill is printed Jsnoa...that's how bad they fvcked my name up.

#6 Posted by LJS9502_basic (152304 posts) -
Why pay a lawyer?
#7 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13418 posts) -

Why pay a lawyer?LJS9502_basic

They'll eventually be paing for it.

#8 Posted by LJS9502_basic (152304 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Why pay a lawyer?br0kenrabbit

They'll eventually be paing for it.

Yeah but it's not like they can really force you to pay....eventually they'll stop sending it to you.
#9 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13418 posts) -

Yeah but it's not like they can really force you to pay....eventually they'll stop sending it to you.LJS9502_basic

Once it's in collections it's on your credit report. That's what I'm suing over...I have awesome incredible credit, and I'm not going to let these assholes ruin that.

I've kept everything, even the letter stating that "even if this is an error, the fastest way to make it go away is to just pay it off."

#10 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13418 posts) -

I'd consult your lawyers before doing anything else and research the company behind those notices.

Aljosa23

That's what I did this afternoon. He's gonna call me back next week and let me know our next course of action.

#11 Posted by comp_atkins (31969 posts) -
can they tell you the address they're actually sending the magazines to? since you're playing for it?
#12 Posted by Necrifer (10629 posts) -

"even if this is an error, the fastest way to make it go away is to just pay it off."

br0kenrabbit

lol

wait, what?

#13 Posted by Riverwolf007 (24187 posts) -

i've been dealing with some thing from hollywood video for like 3 years now where their database was sold off to collection agencies after they went belly up and they just contact you with some bullshyt line about how you owe them money.

i took care of it by contacting them and getting it dropped but then 6 months later some other company bought the list and did the same thing.

this time i just threw it in the trash and ignored it.

#14 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13418 posts) -

can they tell you the address they're actually sending the magazines to? since you're playing for it?comp_atkins

They claim they stopped sending the mags when I refused to pay the bill. :?

#15 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13418 posts) -

Not sure how they can do that without an SSN.

LJS9502_basic

You give me a name and an address and I'll have a SSN in 15 minutes.

Social engeering isn't difficult, especially at the SSA.

#16 Posted by dave123321 (34363 posts) -
neighbor had the same issue a while back