Stupidest belief you've ever held

• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by BossPerson (9475 posts) -

And God/Santa doesn't count.

I feel ashamed to say, but I used to believe in that illuminati shit back in grade 9. I also thought 9/11 was an inside job until grade 11, which was about 5 years ago now.

#2 Edited by Storm_Marine (11534 posts) -

That the Hobbit trilogy was going to be good.

Honestly that's the first thing to come to mind.

#3 Posted by BossPerson (9475 posts) -

@Storm_Marine said:

That the Hobbit trilogy was going to be good.

Honestly that's the first thing to come to mind.

I;ve read the trilogy all last week. Its motivated me to see the 2nd hobbit movie, but i have no motivation really

#4 Posted by BossPerson (9475 posts) -

dat contradiction

#5 Edited by thegerg (15652 posts) -

@BossPerson: What do you mean you"read the trilogy"? It's one story.

#6 Edited by BossPerson (9475 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@BossPerson: What do you mean you"read the trilogy"? It's one story.

touche

#7 Posted by themajormayor (25916 posts) -

Can't think of anything really. I maybe used to be a a bit too liberal and capitalistic. I also had respect for America lol.

#8 Posted by BossPerson (9475 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

Can't think of anything really. I maybe used to be a a bit too liberal and capitalistic. I also had respect for America lol.

im sure there was a time when you though classical music was whack

#9 Posted by themajormayor (25916 posts) -

@BossPerson said:

@themajormayor said:

Yeah but I don't know if that classifies as a belief. And whack is bad right?

#10 Posted by BossPerson (9475 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

@BossPerson said:

@themajormayor said:

Yeah but I don't know if that classifies as a belief. And whack is bad right?

here, in north america, yes

#11 Edited by themajormayor (25916 posts) -

Oh yeah.

1) I used to believe that when looking at any given life the average amount of hapiness would be the same regardless of which life you looked at. Don't know why.

2) That I was God's favorite human.

3) That “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

#12 Posted by LittleMac19 (1638 posts) -

Around the late 90s I was convinced we would have flying cars and colonized other planets by 2010.

#13 Posted by TheFlush (5582 posts) -

Before the Wii was released, there was a rumour that there might be a beamer built in the console.... I believed it, but then I realised how dumb that was.

#14 Posted by JML897 (33126 posts) -

That you could find Mew under a truck in Pokemon Blue.

#15 Edited by alim298 (1678 posts) -

@BossPerson said:

I also thought 9/11 was an inside job until grade 11, which was about 5 years ago now.

That you were older.

#16 Edited by BossPerson (9475 posts) -

@alim298 said:

@BossPerson said:

I also thought 9/11 was an inside job until grade 11, which was about 5 years ago now.

That you were older.

i have the wisdom of an 120 year old man

#17 Edited by THE_DRUGGIE (24964 posts) -

@BossPerson said:

@alim298 said:

@BossPerson said:

That you were older.

So you have dementia?

#18 Edited by alim298 (1678 posts) -

@BossPerson said:

@alim298 said:

@BossPerson said:

That you were older.

Also for some weird reason I believed you were that guy who recently forsook Islam.

#19 Posted by GazaAli (23264 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

#20 Posted by jasean79 (2375 posts) -

1. That the U.S. government had its citizens' best interests in mind.

2. Age 25 would be the best age to be and I'd have my life in order.

3. That classical music was boring.

4. Good karma exists

#21 Edited by k--m--k (1029 posts) -

@BossPerson said:

I also thought 9/11 was an inside job until grade 11

9/11 is an inside job! believe it man Jay-Z planned it all out!

#22 Edited by alim298 (1678 posts) -

@k--m--k said:

@BossPerson said:

Who the **** is Jay-Z?

#23 Posted by CasualGamer36x (50 posts) -

@alim298: LMAO Jayz is some american rapper guy.

#24 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4163 posts) -

@JML897 said:

That you could find Mew under a truck in Pokemon Blue.

Ha! This. The most disappointing moment of my life. :P

#25 Edited by Stranger_36 (481 posts) -

First thing that came to mind was: When I was a little kid, when I would see a manhole I would think the ninja turtles were down there.

#26 Posted by themajormayor (25916 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@themajormayor said:

Why is liberal italicised and the other part bold? I don't get it.

#27 Posted by Brain_Duster (404 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

1. That the U.S. government had its citizens' best interests in mind.

2. Age 25 would be the best age to be and I'd have my life in order.

3. That classical music was boring.

4. Good karma exists

But bad karma exists?

#28 Posted by GazaAli (23264 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

@GazaAli said:

@themajormayor said:

I wanted to suggest a meaning of "liberal" in double quotes because I imagine I was probably never a liberal in the eyes of a westerner.

#29 Posted by ultimate-k (2348 posts) -

@k--m--k said:

@BossPerson said:

It was the shape shifting zion Lizard Jews!

#30 Posted by wis3boi (31584 posts) -

When I was little I used to think a world like that of star wars or star trek was possible within my lifetime

#31 Posted by Praisedasun (444 posts) -

The hobbit films aren't bad,they are just not as good as the LoTR films.The acting is great,and so is the plot.Some details bring it down though.

Anyway,I used to think that the new pokemon games were terrible compared to the old ones,until I played pokemon black,which in my opinion was the most unique pokemon game.

Also I used to love the USA,even more than my country,until I became 13-14 or something,because of the NBA and their achievements in space travel.

#32 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16843 posts) -

I used to be pretty "Murica fuck yeah" when I was younger and waaaay too into politics. these days I don't really have an allegiance to anything.

#33 Posted by Cynical_Buzzard (224 posts) -

I used to think that time travel would be possible.

#34 Posted by Crunchy_Nuts (2749 posts) -

When you play songs backwards you are listening to devil worship. Man I was a stupid shit.

#35 Edited by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

" I don't believe in evolution".

That made me laugh because how do you not believe in facts? I can understand not believing in ape theory, but there's no denying life modifies itself to adjust to physiological, and environmental changes.

^Oh, I thought it was the dumbest belief I've ever heard.

My dumbest belief was.....

The United States military goes to war to protect my freedom, and US constitution.

#36 Posted by ferrari2001 (17075 posts) -

@LittleMac19 said:

Around the late 90s I was convinced we would have flying cars and colonized other planets by 2010.

We could have accomplished that if we would have worked together and pulled resources towards scientific advancements rather than killing one another.

#37 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@Crunchy_Nuts said:

When you play songs backwards you are listening to devil worship. Man I was a stupid shit.

This is my idea of devil music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqPg4XbwX-Y

#38 Edited by themajormayor (25916 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@themajormayor said:

@GazaAli said:

@themajormayor said:

I wanted to suggest a meaning of "liberal" in double quotes because I imagine I was probably never a liberal in the eyes of a westerner.

But basically it fits into you?

#39 Edited by Judas_ (312 posts) -

When I was younger, I used to live near an amputee with mental problems.....................Used to think he was the Anti-Christ.....................

#40 Posted by marcheegsr (2911 posts) -

@Stranger_36 said:

First thing that came to mind was: When I was a little kid, when I would see a manhole I would think the ninja turtles were down there.

lol same here.

#41 Posted by surrealnumber5 (23044 posts) -

terrorists are gonna git cha, there gonna git cha.

terrorism in the states being less deadly than soup.

#42 Posted by playmynutz (6147 posts) -

@BossPerson: Thought you where an old person but we're about the same age.

When I was 5 I believed if you drove a spaceship far enough outside of earth you would hit a wall of dirt eventually.

#43 Posted by 4myAmuzumament (1750 posts) -

i thought suppositories were only meant to be used as a cork and not to deliver medicine.

#44 Posted by surrealnumber5 (23044 posts) -

@playmynutz: the source wall?

#45 Edited by lamprey263 (24434 posts) -

I pretended to like the LOTR films because my friends and seemingly everybody thought they were masterpieces, and if I so much as voiced my opinion I'd be shredded to pieces by the wrath of angry fanboys, I found them boring and I fell asleep at the first one like the first two times I tried watching it. So, I pretended to like these boring films to not rock the boat.

#46 Posted by Iszdope (10279 posts) -

That my shit don't stink.

#47 Edited by Master_Live (15115 posts) -
  • Believing that such thing as luck existed.
  • I believe everyone went to heaven or hell. Basically, dirt poor children in Africa, or anywhere for that matter, had a guaranteed no questions ask ticket to heaven since they had to suffer so much on earth.
  • Yep, that God existed.

Sorry to break it to those kids, you suffered here and there is nothing on the other side to make it worth your while for all your pain and suffering and it breaks my fvcking heart. And that is that.

#48 Posted by hippiesanta (9915 posts) -

Ultraman fighting monsters does exist

#49 Posted by bob_toeback (11267 posts) -

Probably that Walt Disney was frozen like Han Solo...

Also that everything in movies was real. That westerns were made when people lived like that (by the gun, on horses etc) completely oblivious to early CGI, thinking it all looked so real. Though to be honest, I wouldn't consider this such a stupid belief, I rather enjoyed it.

#50 Posted by GazaAli (23264 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

@GazaAli said:

@themajormayor said:

@GazaAli said:

@themajormayor said:

But basically it fits into you?

Yes it does. Also I've just seen your other post and I actually believed in that happiness theory too in the past. To a certain extent I still believe in it in the sense that if we could quantify happiness in a universal manner, without differentiating between different types and forms of happiness, and if we treat happiness as a subjective and passive construct and relate happiness to absence of pain too we could say that the theory holds to an extent. For example if one attempted to compare my share of happiness to that of the average western European, he'd be compelled to think that what I'm saying is hogwash because it would be straightforward and too obvious to judge that my share of happiness is dwarfed in juxtaposition to its average western European's counterpart. However, what that person would completely be unaware of is the fact that happiness and the human sentience in general are much more complicated constructs. The human cognizance and "inwardness" are capable of experiencing much more profound and transcendental forms of happiness and positive feelings in general, other than those produced by material means. If one can survive prolonged state of suffering, it will transform him beyond any way he could have imagined; he no longer loathes it. There's something so beautiful and tranquil about a minimalist mode of existence.

I still want to get out of here and enjoy life and what it has to offer. But to give you a sense of things, I am not sorry one bit that I spent the last 20 years or so in this place and I wouldn't want it any other way.