Stupid people offended by Coca Cola commercial

• 126 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Aljosa23 (24610 posts) -

Yup.

There is much more on Twitter + their Facebook page.

What do you think of this ad? I am not American but I thought it was a beautifully done ad with a positive message. Coca Cola has great ads in general.

#2 Edited by dave123321 (33625 posts) -

My post from the Super Bowl thread as the commercial was playing : "I hope this doesn't get Americans mad"

#3 Posted by Storm_Marine (10767 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

Yup.

There is much more on Twitter + their Facebook page.

What do you think of this ad? I am not American but I thought it was a beautifully done ad with a positive message. Coca Cola has great ads in general.

which is?

#4 Posted by dave123321 (33625 posts) -

But you have to consider that some may just be fucking around, making fun of people who would actually feel that way. Plus those who tweet the stuff to seek attention and get it

#5 Posted by Innovazero2000 (3128 posts) -

Just ugly... to hell with them. That really was a good and positive message.

#7 Posted by Aljosa23 (24610 posts) -

@Storm_Marine: I thought it was pretty obvious that the message was America is a country filled with diversity and that makes it beautiful.

#8 Posted by SaintLeonidas (25908 posts) -

Morons gonna be morons. Shit doesn't even surprise any more, just gets sadder and sadder.

#9 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (7723 posts) -

The fuck is this? If you're going to sing a song about the greatest country in the face of the Earth, at least have the common decency to speak American..........

hmmmmm...

#10 Edited by Storm_Marine (10767 posts) -
@Aljosa23 said:

@Storm_Marine: I thought it was pretty obvious that the message was America is a country filled with diversity and that makes it beautiful.

er ok

#11 Posted by ferrari2001 (16755 posts) -

I didn't quite get the purpose of the ad? I wasn't offended it was just a god awful stupid ad to me. How does singing an American song in several different languages in anyway promote Coca-cola.

#12 Posted by jimkabrhel (15417 posts) -

Typical xenophobic idiots on social media. God forbid we show American who aren't straight, white and speak English.

#13 Posted by The-Apostle (12144 posts) -

People are offended by this? Really? WTF?!

#14 Edited by Storm_Marine (10767 posts) -

This does remind me of how strange it is that the American immigrants that spoke German, Italian, Dutch, Russian, French, Scottish, Irish, and everything else assimilated into English, but oh ho, a special case must be made for Spanish.

Maybe I'm racist against Ibero-Romance languages. "shrugs"

#15 Posted by LittleMac19 (1638 posts) -

social media has only given idiots a bigger platform to spew their crap.

#16 Posted by dave123321 (33625 posts) -
#17 Edited by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

This is not as bad as the cheerios commercial with the black little girl and a white mother.

I was joking with some friends the day that commercial aired about the black man scoring a white woman, and I swear the next week it was on CNN/FOX due to an interracial couple being inappropriate/offensive.

I was just trolling - can't believe people are like this irl. I thought this was an advertisement all across the world as Coke doesn't use glass bottles here except for limited editions.

Edit:

It appears cheerios decided to ignore the negative feedback and make a 2nd commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fwH_924WUc#t=13

#18 Edited by dave123321 (33625 posts) -

Coke doesn't have to promote their drink much

#19 Posted by dave123321 (33625 posts) -

Just promote the image, the brand.

Get people talking about the ad,

#20 Edited by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

I have no audio - what's the problem?

They using an Asian song or something?

#21 Posted by Storm_Marine (10767 posts) -

Typical xenophobic idiots on social media. God forbid we show American who aren't straight, white and speak English.

Was the cowboy at the beginning gay?

#22 Edited by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

I did find the Amazon gay couple commercial amusing.

Made me laugh because I was like "Did I just see a gay electronics commercial?".

#23 Posted by Storm_Marine (10767 posts) -

we need a link

#24 Edited by Gaming-Planet (13885 posts) -

I'm just going to assume that the people who found this ad to be offensive are not smart.

#25 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@Fightingfan said:

we need a link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY1UIES9wx8&noredirect=1

#26 Posted by k2theswiss (16598 posts) -

people are retarted

That was great ad

#27 Posted by Storm_Marine (10767 posts) -

@Storm_Marine said:

This does remind me of how strange it is that the American immigrants that spoke German, Italian, Dutch, Russian, French, Scottish, Irish, and everything else assimilated into English, but oh ho, a special case must be made for Spanish.

pretty sure that the scottish and irish populations were forced to learn english well before emigrating to the colonies was the cool thing to do

eh I suppose you're right

#28 Posted by Aljosa23 (24610 posts) -

Personally I think it's dumb to assume that the people in that commercial do not speak English.

#29 Posted by thegerg (14678 posts) -

@Storm_Marine said:

@Fightingfan said:

we need a link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY1UIES9wx8&noredirect=1

I think the Amazon ad men dropped the ball with that one.

#30 Posted by Storm_Marine (10767 posts) -

@Storm_Marine said:

@coolbeans90 said:
@Storm_Marine said:

pretty sure that the scottish and irish populations were forced to learn english well before emigrating to the colonies was the cool thing to do

eh I suppose you're right

and a good deal of the french still speak french

well, in canada, anyway

Canada got Quebec, the US got Cajun accents or whatever the heck they're called.

#31 Posted by lostrib (33368 posts) -

As soon as I heard them switch to spanish I knew this was going to be an issue about "In American we speak english!"

Way to stay focused on the important issues America.

#32 Posted by Nonstop-Madness (9466 posts) -

I thought it was quite good.

It celebrates America's diversity while illustrating Coke's American roots that have spread to a global audience.

#33 Posted by lamprey263 (22804 posts) -

I knew as I was watching this that conservative commentators would be going crazy over this add, looking forward to the nutty FoxNews reaction, I mean I expect the language to be worse than when that 11 year old mariachi sang the national anthem and all those racists said all that awful shit only people who'd vote Republican would say.

#34 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

Personally I think it's dumb to assume that the people in that commercial do not speak English.

Why? Most people in Miami don't speak English (excluding the white and black areas). Most people in Puerto Rico don't speak English - America has tons of places where English is not the dominate language.

#35 Edited by limpbizkit818 (15033 posts) -

Do you really care about a bunch of comments on twitter? I'm not sure what there is to discuss here..............

There's 300M+ people in America..........

#36 Posted by Solid_Link22 (5593 posts) -

I was not offended by that at all.

#37 Edited by plageus900 (969 posts) -

@Aljosa23: Nothing wrong with that ad. Like you said, America is a cultural melting pot. I feel that anyone that loves 'murica but is offended by this ad is a hypocrite.

#38 Posted by GazaAli (22492 posts) -

I guess the negative reaction this ad is receiving defeats the purpose of the ad itself. How ironic.

#39 Edited by vfibsux (4205 posts) -

It is not about the Coke commercial, it goes much deeper than that.

America used to be a melting pot, people still claim it is but it most absolutely is not. My family came from Italy in the early 20th century because they wanted to be AMERICANS. They flew the American flag outside their home, they celebrated American culture, they learned English, and they became part of the community. They refused to be Italians living in America, they were Italian-Americans. They held on to their Italian culture (as all should) but embraced America's as well. They melted in with Americans.

THIS is what immigration looked like in the 20th century.

Fast forward to 2014.....and you have a bunch of people from other countries living in America that could not care less about our culture, language, flag, patriotism, or anything else. They refuse to melt in but rather flock together as birds with others from their nation of origin. Instead of keeping their culture and melting it with ours they simply cordon themselves off from the rest of the country and create their own little piece of their country in their neighborhood. This is happening all over America and is the current state of our "melting pot" of water and oil.

So while this commercial should feel good, it does not. If we truly were a melting pot this commercial would be celebrating our diversity, but it is not. All this commercial does is rub salt in the wound.

#40 Edited by Storm_Marine (10767 posts) -

@vfibsux said:

It is not about the Coke commercial, it goes much deeper than that.

America used to be a melting pot, people still claim it is but it most absolutely is not. My family came from Italy in the early 20th century because they wanted to be AMERICANS. They flew the American flag outside their home, they celebrated American culture, they learned English, and they became part of the community. They refused to be Italians living in America, they were Italian-Americans. They held on to their Italian culture (as all should) but embraced America's as well. They melted in with Americans.

THIS is what immigration looked like in the 20th century.

Yeah that's kind of the point I was trying to make before.

#41 Edited by Stevo_the_gamer (42584 posts) -

I find it odd that it aimed to be more "culturally friendly" but they kept going back to English when they should have been hitting more languages.

#42 Edited by vfibsux (4205 posts) -

I find it odd that it aimed to be more "culturally friendly" but they kept going back to English when they should have been hitting more languages.

Seriously? Why is it the only things considered cultural in America is crap that is not American? We have our culture too, and this song is part of AMERICAN culture. To even hint it should not have had any English in it at all is absurd.

#43 Edited by Stevo_the_gamer (42584 posts) -

@vfibsux said:

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

Seriously? Why is it the only things considered cultural in America is crap that is not American? We have our culture too, and this song is part of AMERICAN culture. To even hint it should not have had any English in it at all is absurd.

I never said have no English silly, starting off with English and then making their way around major languages is a nice touch -- it's a small world style or something. My only point, and a minor one at that, is that it was odd that they wouldn't hit more languages in the commercial when they had ample opportunities.

#44 Edited by LJS9502_basic (150066 posts) -

Eh...this year the commercials didn't seem much. As for the Coke commercial....wouldn't incite me to buy Coke. Kind of boring really....

#45 Edited by bnarmz (1425 posts) -

I thought it was awesome and beautiful. America is home to every culture/ethnic background in the world. She was built by immigrants and is filled and maintained by immigrants and their offspring.

Imo, America has always been about one country for all people...that very diversity is what makes America so great.

#46 Edited by NeverMore0 (974 posts) -

To me, that commercial was not about a bunch of racially diverse Americans singing a song. It was about a bunch of random people from different ethnicities who happen to live in America. If you want to be an American you should learn English. I wouldn't move to Spain and not learn Spanish, and I sure as hell wouldn't sing a song about Spanish heritage in English. Maybe if it was a bunch of people singing the song in English with different accents it would have had a better impact.