Student needs 1 million or she's gonna have an abortion

• 111 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

I don't believe this.

This pregnant 26 y/o undergrad student has actually set up a website for receiving 1 million dollars in donations. She promises to put the baby up for adoption and start a trust fund that will be accessible for the child when he/she is 21. If said amount is not received within the specified period (July 7th - July 10th) , she'll abort the baby.

"I hope to give the American public a concrete example that the conservative right in America doesn't actually care about the life of a child, they care about controlling the lives and choices of women. We have to acknowledge this and we have to stop it."

www.prolifeantiwoman.com

I'm not anti-abortion or anything, but the way this lady is trying to prove her message is completely fucked up.

I know she has to protect her identity because of the backlash she will receive but going anonymous is no way to prove that she'll actually use all that money for the child's trust fund. Is there any way we can be certain she'll use all the money for the child and not herself? She says she will refund the money if she doesn't receive 1 million dollars but I don't know.

This "social experiment" of hers is disturbing.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Shame she wasn't aborted.

SamusBeliskner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 SamusBeliskner
Member since 2015 • 569 Posts

And she will see the right's true colors. She won't get a dime.

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

How very "pro life" of you.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

Clever way to exploit the system and people's beliefs/emotions at the same time while extorting without breaking any laws.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

Her math is interesting, not necessarily wrong (I don't know), but 157 million people who identify as pro-life would need to donate less than a cent each to prevent an abortion. For the record I agree this is terrible (deliciously manipulative, but terrible), but donating less than a cent to the cause of saving a life does sort of seem more than reasonable.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ReadingRainbow4

@samusbeliskner said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Holding an unborn child at ransom is the right way to prove a point I suppose.

Either way, this is disgusting.

SamusBeliskner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SamusBeliskner
Member since 2015 • 569 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:
@samusbeliskner said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

It's not a child; it's a fetus. She needs $1 million or she will exercise her constitutional right to decide what happens to her body. If you're so worried about fetuses, work on developing a way to remove them from pregnant women without killing them.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

Wow she's kind of a piece of shit. Setting up this campaign hoping it will fail so she can make a political point?

Not to mention who knows if she's even telling the truth.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@chessmaster1989 said:

Wow she's kind of a piece of shit. Setting up this campaign hoping it will fail so she can make a political point?

There's no way to tell she'll keep her word about staying away from any of the money she makes through her AbortionStarter campaign anyway,

I hope she didn't plan to get pregnant just to eventually use it as a political statement, that's just a whole new level of filth.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Bravo , just try to capitalize of your mistake. People are so despreat it hurts just hearing about them.

Why not just put him up for adoption and be done with it?

No , you want compensation for YOUR troble of giving it life and if don't get any , you kill it.

Again , Bravo.

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 fend_oblivion

@chessmaster1989: Exactly. Who knows?

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts
@chessmaster1989 said:

Yeah that was my thought as well. Who knows if this girl is pregnant, if she actually has any intent in putting the kid up for adoption, or hell who's to say that this is even a girl? For all we know it could just be some guy looking for easy money.

Generally speaking if people feel strongly enough about abortion they should theoretically still be willing to donate a penny to the cause, but yeah this very well could all be bullshit.

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 fend_oblivion

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

I hope she didn't plan to get pregnant just to eventually use it as a political statement, that's just a whole new level of filth.

I think that's what she just did because this doesn't seem like an accidental pregnancy. She deliberately got pregnant just to prove a point.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@fend_oblivion said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:

I think that's what she just did because this doesn't seem like an accidental pregnancy. She deliberately got pregnant just to prove a point.

As much as I respect the feminist movement, on some levels they're approaching the Crazy of Peta.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

I see nothing wrong in doing this.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#17 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

What I do find silly is that people can be pro life and pro death penalty.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#18  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

I am pro-choice but this is gross.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

The first thing that I would assume with something like this is that it was a scam. Assuming that this isn't a scam, if she was successful it would possibly start a movement of women that don't want their child trying similar actions. Then there would be the real scam artists that would try to use this as a way to make money on pro-life donors trying to spend a few bucks to prevent an abortion.

I could also see a legal challenge coming up to this since it could be interpreted as blackmail, where she's saying either pay me or I abort my fetus. Not saying that it would be successful, but that doesn't mean someone isn't going to try.

I know why she would want to keep her identity anonymous, but without showing proof of the pregnancy people can't be sure she isn't some kid in his basement trying to make a quick buck. Also, I wouldn't put it past some hacker hacking into her page so that they can reveal her identity.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#20 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Never knew you could ask for a ransom for an unborn person. New low, well done.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Dick move, but she's making a good point that conservative **** heads don't seem to understand... that a child doesn't magically grow up to be a functioning member of society when they are adopted out or put in the foster system. It's a major reason in support of keeping abortion around until there is a financial safety net that actually protects the children from poor living conditions and abuse. Or somehow to move the fetus to an infertile mother who actually wants kids but can't have them.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

This is bad

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

If this works, I'm doing it next

garathe_den

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 garathe_den
Member since 2008 • 1427 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:Or somehow to move the fetus to an infertile mother who actually wants kids but can't have them.

If someone could figure out a way to do this that would be pretty amazing...

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

@fend_oblivion: I don't really see what's so horrible about it... I don't even care if she keeps the money. I don't think she's going to prove anything either and it all just seems pretty stupid, but I really don't see why you're so up in arms about this.

EDIT: I obviously see why people who are against abortion would be mad about this, but I can't understand why someone who is okay with it would get mad about this. She will either give a baby up for adaption (a great thing to do for people who can't have children) or she will have an abortion, which you say you don't have a problem with. So how is this weird little display of hers bad to anyone on the side of the woman's right to choose?

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

It's only fucked up I guess if your're pro-life.

I don't see anything wrong with this as someone who has and always will be pro-choice.

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Hatiko
Member since 2006 • 4669 Posts

@MuD3 said:

@fend_oblivion: I don't really see what's so horrible about it... I don't even care if she keeps the money. I don't think she's going to prove anything either and it all just seems pretty stupid, but I really don't see why you're so up in arms about this.

EDIT: I obviously see why people who are against abortion would be mad about this, but I can't understand why someone who is okay with it would get mad about this. She will either give a baby up for adaption (a great thing to do for people who can't have children) or she will have an abortion, which you say you don't have a problem with. So how is this weird little display of hers bad to anyone on the side of the woman's right to choose?

I think it's because the reason she will get the abortion. It isn't because her or the baby are in any danger, she will get an abortion because people didn't give her money. She can put it up for adoption but she wont if people don't just giver her money.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

@JangoWuzHere said:

I don't see anything wrong with this as someone who has and always will be pro-choice.

How do you not see the problem here? If she plans to give the baby up for adoption if she gets the money why can't she give the baby up for adoption if she doesn't get the money? She's letting money and strangers decide the fate of the baby, not her own judgement or feelings. She's not making it her choice, she's making it someone else's. It seems like a cheap ploy for money thinly disguised as a social experiment. Even if you're pro-choice, that's pretty fucked up.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@samusbeliskner said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:
@samusbeliskner said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

It's not a child; it's a fetus. She needs $1 million or she will exercise her constitutional right to decide what happens to her body. If you're so worried about fetuses, work on developing a way to remove them from pregnant women without killing them.

Here's the proper course of action...

This woman is asking for one million dollars? Well, I think that pro-life proponents should take as much money as they can and donate to anyone other than this woman. Start a charity dedicated to raising money for pregnant women's unborn children, raise 10 times the amount that this woman is asking. And then don't give THIS WOMAN a single solitary penny.

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

i'd collect the money and abort the baby anyways.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MuD3

@Hatiko said:
@MuD3 said:

I think it's because the reason she will get the abortion. It isn't because her or the baby are in any danger, she will get an abortion because people didn't give her money. She can put it up for adoption but she wont if people don't just giver her money.

I'm sure she would get the abortion if she wasn't doing her weird experiment.... you do know people get abortions for more reasons than they or the baby is in danger right?

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MuD3

@Toxic-Seahorse said:
@JangoWuzHere said:

How do you not see the problem here? If she plans to give the baby up for adoption if she gets the money why can't she give the baby up for adoption if she doesn't get the money? She's letting money and strangers decide the fate of the baby, not her own judgement or feelings. She's not making it her choice, she's making it someone else's. It seems like a cheap ploy for money thinly disguised as a social experiment. Even if you're pro-choice, that's pretty fucked up.

I'm fairly certain you meant to quote me here...

She already made her choice, not strangers, it's that she doesn't want the baby... if you are pro-choice it shouldn't matter to you if that's through abortion or adoption so again, what is the problem here to pro-choice advocates?

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@Toxic-Seahorse said:
@JangoWuzHere said:

"If she plans to give the baby up for adoption if she gets the money why can't she give the baby up for adoption if she doesn't get the money?"

Because child birth sucks, and I don't see why she should possibly risk her life creating a child that may or may not have good financial security. Even if it's not about finances or health, I fully support woman who do not want to go through child birth. It's a large time commitment and is very painful. I support woman who want to have an abortion, even if they don't have a elaborate excuse.

"She's letting money and strangers decide the fate of the baby, not her own judgement or feelings"

See, I honestly don't care about the "fate of the baby." It's not a baby, it's a fetus at the moment. This whole experiment is using her judgement and feelings to make a proper decision. She isn't going to just birth a child unless she knows that it will be financially secure. She obviously would feel more guilty throwing the dice and having the child end up with parents who can't realistically support the kid.

"It seems like a cheap ploy for money thinly disguised as a social experiment."

Could be, the anonymous nature of the entire thing is pretty shady. However, if it isn't, then I fully support it.

babyjoker1221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 babyjoker1221
Member since 2015 • 1313 Posts

Am I the only one wondering how much she's got so far?

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38668 Posts

i think we're missing an important point here

what kind of dumb shit 26 year old graduate student doesn't know about contraception??

a dumbass teenager i could accept but jesus.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MrGeezer

So, like...one time I was walking by the homeless shelter, and a bum walked up to me and asked me for $20. He gave a lecture about how people like me don't give a shit about the homeless, and that I need to give him $20 to buy dinner or else he'd starve and it'd be my fault.

That's an obvious turnoff. Firstly, because it isn't JUST a request for money. It's a THREAT. He's threatening that he'll die if I don't give him money. And he's saying that it will be all my fault.

Second reason is because he already approached me in a manner that presumes I'm an asshole. It wasn't just "can I please have some money so I can eat tonight". It was "people like you are shit, and don't care about people like me; give me money or else I die and it's your fault." Right there, he's saying that I'm an asshole before I even give him the money. So...why would I give money to someone who's calling me an asshole>? REGARDLESS of whether or not I agree with his cause, the fact that he's calling me an asshole before asking him for money is likely to be enough for me to not give him shit.

Of course, not giving him money because he called me an asshole is likely to confirm in his mind that I just don't care about the homeless. Which may be true, but that conclusion can't reasonably drawn from the fact that I didn't give him money. It's entirely possible that I frequently donate to the homeless, but simply chose not to donate to THAT GUY because he called me an asshole and then tried to guilt trip me into thinking that his starvation would be my fault if I didn't give him money.

But then there's also the question of why he's asking for $20. I mean, one can eat for WAY less than $20, so how exactly is $20 the determinating factor in whether or not he starves? He set the standard, not me. So it's kind of up to him to explain why $20 is sufficient and $10 isn't.

Anyway, this woman set the terms. "I'll abort my baby if I don't get a million dollars?" Why a million? I'm sure that $750k would do a lot of good in that child's life, so it's sort of fucked up that she sets a particular dollar amount and specifies a particular result (the fetus gets aborted) if that amount isn't met. Where the **** is that coming from? If the donations are $50k short of a million, is she really saying that coming up $50k short is worth aborting the fetus? She set the standard, not me, so it's sort of up to her to justify why she's asking for a million and why coming up short entails killing the fetus.

But anyway, back to the case of that bum who was asking for $20. **** that guy. I went to the bank, got out $100, then I bought $100 worth of food and handed it out to the homeless people there. All the while making sure that that one guy didn't get shit. If he wants to make it out as me not helping the homeless, then sure I'll help the homeless. Just not HIM, because **** that guy.

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Hatiko
Member since 2006 • 4669 Posts

@MuD3 said:
@Hatiko said:
@MuD3 said:

I'm sure she would get the abortion if she wasn't doing her weird experiment.... you do know people get abortions for more reasons than they or the baby is in danger right?

Yeah, but she has already said that she wants to put the child up for adoption, but only if a bunch of people give her money. IDK, its like she wants an abortion and feels guilty but just wants to put the guilt on other folks. Like, "Oh, it wasn't my decision, I didn't get a million dollars so I HAD to do it." Just looking at all possibilities here.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@MrGeezer said:

But anyway, back to the case of that bum who was asking for $20. **** that guy. I went to the bank, got out $100, then I bought $100 worth of food and handed it out to the homeless people there. All the while making sure that that one guy didn't get shit. If he wants to make it out as me not helping the homeless, then sure I'll help the homeless. Just not HIM, because **** that guy.

That was the bum's plan all along! =P

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

Imagine if she managed to raise the money and then she died during childbirth and the baby lived.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MrGeezer

@korvus said:
@MrGeezer said:

That was the bum's plan all along! =P

Okay.

And if this woman's plan all along was for people to see her using her fetus as a way to get money and then to NOT give her money, then everything works out okay.

Whether it was her plan or not, she still shouldn't get the money. Also, if that was her plan, then she was planning on aborting her fetus anyway. So yeah...if people are gonna donate money, donate to someone else. Why donate a million dollars to a pregnant woman who is planning on aborting her fetus anyway, when there are any number of adoptive parents around who we could give donations to in order to benefit their kids?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@MrGeezer: I'm sure you understand the meaning of "=P". It was a joke. I don't think she should get any money...if she aborts that just means she would have anyway and if she succeeds with raising the money it's just going to start a wave of equally shitty ideas.

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#43 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

@plageus900 said:

Imagine if she managed to raise the money and then she died during childbirth and the baby lived.

I was actually thinking kinda the same, though it wouldn't surprise me. The Flying Spaghetti Monster don't like ugly.

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#44 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

Well, good thing I don't care about some child being aborted in some other country.

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 fend_oblivion

@babyjoker1221: You can only start donating on the 7th of July.

@MuD3 said:

Here's why : I'm worried about many things. He/she being anonymous gives us no guarantee that he/she is pregnant, he/she will use that money solely for the baby, and he/she will return the money if the desired amount is not received. Moreover, he/she does not state what will be done with extra money received Notice how he/she says, "every cent of that one million dollars will be put in a trust fund for the child". Get what I'm saying?

This could be a scam for all I know.

Another reason being more people starting similar campaigns for different reasons. "Give me _______ dollars or else I'll _________".

If she really is telling the truth and means to do whatever she said, then she should reveal her identity (**** the backlash, forget if she is "vilified" - if she wants to prove a point, she should do it like other people do) so that people who donate have some way to hold her accountable if she backs out on her word.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MuD3

@fend_oblivion: I guess I just don't care if it's a scam... it's a poor one if it is and anyone who gives money to this woman is kind of dense if you ask me.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

@sonicare said:

What I do find silly is that people can be pro life and pro death penalty.

The child does not choose to be born. Thugs on death row chose to commit their crimes.

Big difference.

helwa1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By helwa1988
Member since 2007 • 2157 Posts

I'm pro life but I guess this girl is having an abortion because she isn't getting a penny of my money.

I know she's probably trying to make some sick statement. But if you really had a concern for the baby you're carrying you would put it in for adoption regaesless of anything else. Not for a million bucks.

She doesn't need a million dollars to carry and deliver a baby that she's giving away.

Women like this shouldn't even be called women. She's a sick piece of shit

Avatar image for nothingformoney
NothingForMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 NothingForMoney
Member since 2014 • 466 Posts

Scam

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

Did the father of the kid put her up to this or is she just crazy. What's his view on the whole thing, split the money?

Someone asked me if I was pro life or pro choice and all i can say is I am undecided.

Don't worry guys I don't think this girl is going to get far.