This topic is locked from further discussion.

AmidstTheLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 AmidstTheLight
Member since 2008 • 207 Posts

I have a final in my statistics class and I have a question about my study guide. Here is the actual problem:

In the initial test of the Salk vaccine for polio, 400,000 children were selected and divided into two groups of 200,000. One group was vaccinated with the Salk vaccine while the second group was vaccinated with a placebo. of those vaccinated with the Salk vaccine, 33 later developed polio. Of those receiving the placebo, 115 later developed polio. TEst the claim that the Salk vaccine is effective in lowering the polio rate. Use (fish looking thing) = 0.01.

I have figuered out what most of the formula is but I am lost at the degree of freedom part. My teacher in trying to prove H1 = mean less than 10 put the t-distribution as part of the problem, which I wrote down so I can just plug in the answers, but I think I didn't get everything off the board becuase he showed that there are two different types of t-distributions that must be found in this problem. For H1 he put t-comp is less than t-tab with two different numbers, which I figure comp means compute in calculater? and tab means the inside tab of the book with the Z-scores? Can anybody help me with the simplest answer possible?

geodisicdome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 geodisicdome
Member since 2005 • 13663 Posts
go on a field trip to clear your head. mine certainly needs clearing after reading all that!
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts
Why are they using children for the initial test? That's what animals are for.
AnObscureName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 AnObscureName
Member since 2008 • 2069 Posts
Why are they using children for the initial test? That's what animals are for.Oleg_Huzwog
# You could also argue that that is what children are for. :o
cool_baller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 cool_baller
Member since 2003 • 12493 Posts
whether you do it from the calculator or the book it's the same. I am the ***** at Statistics, I got a 5 on the AP last year, and I didn't even study. But now I have forgotten, so take my answer with caution. Do you know how to do the the whole entire thing with the calculator? That helps because you can check your answer and what not.