States look to Internet taxes to close budget gaps

This topic is locked from further discussion.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts
AUSTIN, Texas - State governments across the country are laying off teachers, closing public libraries and parks, and reducing health care services, but there is one place they could get $23 billion if they could only agree how to do it: Internet retailers such as Amazon.com. That's enough to pay for the salaries of more than 46,000 teachers, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. In California, the amount of uncollected taxes from Amazon sales alone is roughly the same amount cut from child welfare services in the current state budget. But collecting those taxes from major online retailers is difficult. Internet retailers are required to collect sales tax only when they sell to customers living in a state where they have a physical presence, such as a store or office. When consumers order from out-of-state retailers, they are required under state law to pay the tax. But it's difficult to enforce and rarely happens. Story here. Internet retailers cite a 1992 U.S. Supreme Court decision involving catalog sales, Quill Corp. v. North Dakota, which ruled that states could require only companies that had a physical presence within the state to act as tax collector. To get around the ruling, some states are expanding what it means to be physically present (see link). Discuss - is it legal for the states to try and expand what SCOTUS ruled?
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

It was only a matter of time. Texas has something similar where no matter where you live, if you order online from Texas, you have to pay their tax. If states all have their own internet tax ontop of that, ordering from TX will be really expensive (double tax). :P

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 topsemag55

It was only a matter of time. Texas has something similar where no matter where you live, if you order online from Texas, you have to pay their tax. If states all have their own internet tax ontop of that, ordering from TX will be really expensive (double tax). :P

Pirate700
Texas is a good state, but the weather seems to target a lot of people (Galveston, DFW).:P Plus I've driven there, and it's a killer when you see the sign "El Paso - 900 miles".:lol:
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

topsemag55

Texas is a good state, but the weather seems to target a lot of people (Galveston, DFW).:P Plus I've driven there, and it's a killer when you see the sign "El Paso - 900 miles".:lol:

Oh I love TX. I'm just saying... :P

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
Damn it, I like my tax free stuff from amazon. :(
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

I have no problem with this in theory, but I'm not sure how it can practically be enforced.

Buttons1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Buttons1990
Member since 2009 • 3167 Posts

I have no problem with this in theory, but I'm not sure how it can practically be enforced.

worlock77

Um... If legislation is passed that allows them to tax online retailers it will be enforced the same way local retailers are taxed... If they wish to remain incorporated and provide services in that state they will charge tax on products and pay the government...

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178855 Posts
Here's a new concept....stop spending money that you don't have. And the population needs to stop holding their hands out for the money as well.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LJS9502_basic

worlock77

Same way you're taxed when you buy in a physical store...

Avatar image for SgtSchfiftyFive
SgtSchfiftyFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SgtSchfiftyFive
Member since 2010 • 343 Posts

This is so dumb. Eventually there will be a time where every single little thing you do is taxed. Why should we have pay for s*** like this when it was our dumb governement's fault for screwing up the budget anyway?

Avatar image for MetroidPrimePwn
MetroidPrimePwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 MetroidPrimePwn
Member since 2007 • 12399 Posts

Well fortunately for me, voters in Oregon think that property taxes are a better way to get tax revenue than sales taxes, so I'm not effected :D

That raises the number of good things about Oregon to the astounding total of... One.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LJS9502_basic

Well fortunately for me, voters in Oregon think that property taxes are a better way to get tax revenue than sales taxes, so I'm not effected :D

That raises the number of good things about Oregon to the astounding total of... One.

MetroidPrimePwn
One way or another you pay property tax...or your parents do but eventually that will be your problem as well.
dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

I live in Kentucky,

were behind on many things, but not taxes:(

I had to pay the +6% on amazon for years now.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
Not surprising. Most states are strapped for cash (even after raising taxes and cutting spending), more traditional state taxes are already really high, so it'd be difficult to raise those, and a ton of budget cuts have already been made so it'd be difficult to cut more, so state governments are starting to search around for other sources of revenue.
Buttons1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Buttons1990
Member since 2009 • 3167 Posts

I live in Kentucky,

dercoo

How close to bordering states do you live? Could always get a PO box there :P

I live in southern Ohio, and a weapon I bought recently couldn't be shipped to Ohio... So I just moseyed on down to Newport, Kentucky, rented a PO box... Had it shipped to Kentucky, picked it up, moseyed on back across the river... :D

jim_shorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#16 jim_shorts
Member since 2006 • 7320 Posts

Good thing my state has no budget deficit then. One of the very few perks of living in Arkansas.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

LJS9502_basic

No kidding? Yes, I understand the concept. Here's the thing though: say Online Retailer A is based in Tennessee. They ship an order to a resident in alaska, but decide to not charge that person sales tax. How do authorities in Alaska enforce this sales tax? Do they file charges against the retailer? If that's the case are the charges filed in Alaska, or Tennessee or in a Federal court? Is it even worth the time, effort and expense to do so?

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

[QUOTE="dercoo"]

I live in Kentucky,

Buttons1990

How close to bordering states do you live? Could always get a PO box there :P

I live in southern Ohio, and a weapon I bought recently couldn't be shipped to Ohio... So I just moseyed on down to Newport, Kentucky, rented a PO box... Had it shipped to Kentucky, picked it up, moseyed on back across the river... :D

samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 samuraiguns
Member since 2005 • 11588 Posts

Well, derp, Big Corporate Lobbyists will automatically have this shut out because they know alot of people prefer online services for shopping because of the traditional No Tax/ Free Shipping that keeps people flocking to their websites.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 topsemag55
One way or another you pay property tax...LJS9502_basic
You got that right - I dread it every time it comes in the mail.:lol:
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

worlock77

No kidding? Yes, I understand the concept. Here's the thing though: say Online Retailer A is based in Tennessee. They ship an order to a resident in alaska, but decide to not charge that person sales tax. How do authorities in Alaska enforce this sales tax? Do they file charges against the retailer? If that's the case are the charges filed in Alaska, or Tennessee or in a Federal court? Is it even worth the time, effort and expense to do so?

Because copies of transactions have to be kept for tax purposes of the corporation. So while they might not show every purchase they'd have to have some verification of business. And if x state requires tax....they'll hand it over. In the state I live in we have two different sales tax amounts. There is a 1% difference. But if you buy an automobile in another county....you still get charged the tax for this county. Most businesses aren't going to hide sales tax in total. Some...yeah. But they also have to report.
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts
Here's a new concept....stop spending money that you don't have. And the population needs to stop holding their hands out for the money as well.LJS9502_basic
Politicians can't continually cut tax revenue and then throw their hands up and say, "Obviously we're spending too much. Let's cut spending some more and, BTW, throw in additional tax cuts while we're at it."
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Here's a new concept....stop spending money that you don't have. And the population needs to stop holding their hands out for the money as well.mattbbpl
Politicians can't continually cut tax revenue and then throw their hands up and say, "Obviously we're spending too much. Let's cut spending some more and, BTW, throw in additional tax cuts while we're at it."

They can get rid of some of the billions in worthless entitlement programs. They still have them running all the way back to the '60s. They've piled up and helped cripple the government financially. Legalizing Marijuana would be nice too, since as a tax revenue it's projected to easily earn just as much as this proposed tax, and it'd create so many jobs, and the hemp and paper industry would boom again, etc.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Here's a new concept....stop spending money that you don't have. And the population needs to stop holding their hands out for the money as well.mattbbpl

Really is too much money spent on non necessities. And they do need to stop spending. You can't keep taxing and taxing while spending and spending. Eventually something will give.
ArchonBasic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ArchonBasic
Member since 2002 • 6420 Posts

If brick and mortars are taxed, then internet stores should be taxed as well. Only taxing one of them creates an unfair competitive advantage that unbalances the market.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 topsemag55

If brick and mortars are taxed, then internet stores should be taxed as well. Only taxing one of them creates an unfair competitive advantage that unbalances the market.

Archon_basic
I have to disagree. If I buy from an internet company based in California and I live in Montana, I don't owe California any tax since I don't live there, and I don't owe Montana any tax because I didn't buy it from a Montana store.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LJS9502_basic

Archon_basic
Different states have different tax bases. If I went to a state with a lower tax base to purchase I wouldn't be charged my rate. Which internet stores do. And if the government is for opening up between state lines then the first thing they should do is allow medical insurance to be bought.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#28 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

The only good thing about this tax is that it affects everyone. For all those clamoring about getting more and more services, now they are going to feel a little of that. If you want to have good social services, you have to pay for them. Not rely on everyone else. If this helps benefit the states, then I dont mind paying the sales tax.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44611 Posts
my state just makes us pay our state sales tax, I don't see anything wrong with this
WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

I find it ironic that Wal-Mart is complaining about something that they themselves have pulled. While I do shop at Wally World sometimes, I prefer to spend my money elsewhere, even if it does cost me a bit more for the product and usually, it's a better product. One has to laugh at them now that the shoe is on the other foot.

ArchonBasic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ArchonBasic

[QUOTE="Archon_basic"]

topsemag55

I have to disagree. If I buy from an internet company based in California and I live in Montana, I don't owe California any tax since I don't live there, and I don't owe Montana any tax because I didn't buy it from a Montana store.

You bought something online instead of buying it at a Montana store, so it's not unreasonable to pay Montana a sales tax. I don't really care about a states rights to collect a tax, but the uneven sales tax laws put owners of traditional businesses at a severe disadvantage.

judog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#32 judog1
Member since 2005 • 24657 Posts
I'm not used to paying sale tax and I always forget to take extra money with me to the store to pay for it. When I buy a game for $60, I sort of expect to pay only $60 now a days.
ArchonBasic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ArchonBasic

[QUOTE="Archon_basic"]

LJS9502_basic

Different states have different tax bases. If I went to a state with a lower tax base to purchase I wouldn't be charged my rate. Which internet stores do. And if the government is for opening up between state lines then the first thing they should do is allow medical insurance to be bought.

Of course you'll be charged a different tax rate for buying something in another state, but that's a fairly unusual occurrence. However, online retailers are essentially a loophole to avoid sales tax all together. Why pay $3 in sales tax to buy a game at my local store when Amazon can sell it to me without any tax? The local store is at a severe disadvantage that is caused by unequal taxation laws. As for insurance, I agree with you completely. That's another example of the government disrupting the free market, though in a different way than the sales tax issue.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 worlock77

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Archon_basic"]

Archon_basic

Of course you'll be charged a different tax rate for buying something in another state, but that's a fairly unusual occurrence. However, online retailers are essentially a loophole to avoid sales tax all together. Why pay $3 in sales tax to buy a game at my local store when Amazon can sell it to me without any tax? The local store is at a severe disadvantage that is caused by unequal taxation laws. As for insurance, I agree with you completely. That's another example of the government disrupting the free market, though in a different way than the sales tax issue.

You're going to pay for shipping however, which is probably going to be just as much, if not more than the tax you'd pay at your local retailer.

TSNAKE617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TSNAKE617
Member since 2008 • 5494 Posts

I think we need younger representives in the government if we want the internet to survive. The older people don't seem to understand its importance.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Archon_basic"]

Archon_basic

No that isn't what I said. I said you're charged your home tax rate even thought the site is not in your state And they aren't at a disadvantage since online requires shipping fees for the most.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts
[QUOTE="mattbbpl"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Here's a new concept....stop spending money that you don't have. And the population needs to stop holding their hands out for the money as well.LJS9502_basic

Really is too much money spent on non necessities. And they do need to stop spending. You can't keep taxing and taxing while spending and spending. Eventually something will give.

I'm not arguing that we can't cut anything. But when we cut taxes to historic lows and then propose a bill that guts Medicare while implementing FURTHER tax cuts, I found the argument logically and morally bankrupt.

Under such a circumstance, mixing tax raises in with spending cuts seems to be pragmatic and logical stance - not the ideological extreme the Republicans have proposed.
ArchonBasic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ArchonBasic

[QUOTE="Archon_basic"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Different states have different tax bases. If I went to a state with a lower tax base to purchase I wouldn't be charged my rate. Which internet stores do. And if the government is for opening up between state lines then the first thing they should do is allow medical insurance to be bought.worlock77

You're going to pay for shipping however, which is probably going to be just as much, if not more than the tax you'd pay at your local retailer.

Good point, but online retailers enjoy other cost cutting advantages, such as savings from not maintaining as many physical locations and employees. These factors are natural consequences of the respective business models. The sales tax laws, on the other hand, are giving an unnatural advantage to one business model over another. By taxing online retailers differently, the government is essentially helping one model succeed at the expense of the other.

ArchonBasic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ArchonBasic

[QUOTE="Archon_basic"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Different states have different tax bases. If I went to a state with a lower tax base to purchase I wouldn't be charged my rate. Which internet stores do. And if the government is for opening up between state lines then the first thing they should do is allow medical insurance to be bought.LJS9502_basic

No that isn't what I said. I said you're charged your home tax rate even thought the site is not in your state And they aren't at a disadvantage since online requires shipping fees for the most.

Sorry, I misunderstood your statement. Charging sales tax on the buyer makes the most sense, as that will ensure a proportional collection of taxes for each state. It works different than purchasing goods at a brick and mortar in a different state, but that's an unusual circumstance that the government has no business trying to control. As for the shipping cost issue, see my last post.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="Archon_basic"]Of course you'll be charged a different tax rate for buying something in another state, but that's a fairly unusual occurrence. However, online retailers are essentially a loophole to avoid sales tax all together. Why pay $3 in sales tax to buy a game at my local store when Amazon can sell it to me without any tax? The local store is at a severe disadvantage that is caused by unequal taxation laws. As for insurance, I agree with you completely. That's another example of the government disrupting the free market, though in a different way than the sales tax issue.

Archon_basic

Good point, but online retailers enjoy other cost cutting advantages, such as savings from not maintaining as many physical locations and employees. These factors are natural consequences of the respective business models. The sales tax laws, on the other hand, are giving an unnatural advantage to one business model over another. By taxing online retailers differently, the government is essentially helping one model succeed at the expense of the other.

Oh I don't disagree with taxing online retailers. I just don't think it's a factor for most people in deciding whether to buy online or at the local brick-and-morter.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
Damn it, I like my tax free stuff from amazon. :(chessmaster1989
I do as well, but TBH this seems like one of the better solutions to our state financial problems
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

[QUOTE="mattbbpl"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Here's a new concept....stop spending money that you don't have. And the population needs to stop holding their hands out for the money as well.LJS9502_basic

This makes absolutely NOsense when the taxes we have paid for the past decade rivals that of the Truman era... The only raising in taxes that have been even SUGGESTED have been of 90's levels..

defii9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 defii9
Member since 2010 • 71 Posts

This won't work and has been tried before in other states. Amazon will just cut their subsidaries in the said state, which will ensure that they have 0 physical presence in the state. This will cause the state to LOSE JOBS and lose tax revenue. This is such a stupid idea that it could only be encouraged by politicians. Source :http://chicagoist.com/2011/01/08/the_bad_math_of_the_amazon_tax.php