Starting to eat for the future, any good dieting tips.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12139 Posts

I have always been skinny with a high metabolism but i know that can only get me so far. I have already began to cut out junk food, replace soda with tea and water, and try to hit the core meals with a mix of meat, fruit, and vegetables. Any other tips you guys can share.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

Fruit and Water are your best friends.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4  Edited By IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

Drink lots of water, exercise, and stop eating fast food -- it's poison. Also, cooking at home does wonders for you health.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

When in doubt, bacon sandwiches.

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts

- Balance

- Reduce saturated fats

- Reduce sugar

- Lots of water

- More color = better for you

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#7 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

water

fresh fish

chicken

sweet corn

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

Homemade food and drinks.. stay away from sugar as much as possible.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

No fast food - No soda

Water or Milk

Whole grains - Whole grain bread, quinoa, brown rice, whole grain cereal

Healthy fats in small amounts - Olive oil, nuts, avocados

Protein - Chicken breast, eggs. turkey breast, fish

Fruits and vegetables.

Basically if you cook at home its so much easier to eat healthy.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

Seems like you have a good foundation already, TC. Look into doing intermittent fasting once a week (basically don't eat for 14 hours or so).

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

One advice I'd like to give you is to not deprive yourself too much of the things you love, or else you run the risk of giving in to temptation and just relapse to your former shitty diet. Have something like a "cheat day" where you treat yourself to some of the junk you love.

Be patient and persistent, and don't overdo the whole thing so it does not become torture.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

@senses_fail_06 said:

- Balance

- Reduce saturated fats

- Reduce sugar

- Lots of water

- More color = better for you

Eat lots and lots of Skittles.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

@Mercenary848 said:

I have always been skinny with a high metabolism but i know that can only get me so far. I have already began to cut out junk food, replace soda with tea and water, and try to hit the core meals with a mix of meat, fruit, and vegetables. Any other tips you guys can share.

You've pretty much got it. Avoid sugar-added foods and drinks and give yourself a cheat meal every week. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy...It's hard to stick to a diet if it feels like you're punishing yourself.

Don't look at it as a diet, look at it as a lifestyle change. It has to be permanent change, where "Diet" is usually thought of as a temporary modification.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

Try to avoid GMOs as much as possible. Grow your own food during the summer. Avoid boxed foods as much as possible.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AmazonTreeBoa

@thegerg said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

Try to avoid GMOs as much as possible. Grow your own food during the summer. Avoid boxed foods as much as possible.

"Try to avoid GMOs as much as possible."

That's nearly impossible today. Just about every single plant or animal that people cultivate for food has been genetically engineered at one point or another. The process began thousands of years ago.

Your way around that.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AmazonTreeBoa

@thegerg said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@thegerg said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

That's nearly impossible today. Just about every single plant or animal that people cultivate for food has been genetically engineered at one point or another. The process began thousands of years ago.

Your way around that.

Not quite. These seeds are still the result of genetic engineering. Humans have selectively bred and cultivated these strains into existence.

That's not GMO. The food isn't modified, it is just selected based off what has the traits the person is looking for. That's hardly GMO.

KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts

Try and get all the calories your body needs and no processed foods, that be it, well that's what I try doing anyhow hehe. I like things simple :)

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AmazonTreeBoa
@thegerg said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@thegerg said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@thegerg said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

Your way around that.

Not quite. These seeds are still the result of genetic engineering. Humans have selectively bred and cultivated these strains into existence.

That's not GMO. The food isn't modified, it is just selected based off what has the traits the person is looking for. That's hardly GMO.

That is GMO. It's modified through selective breeding. Methods of genetic engineering have gotten more advanced over the years, but genetic engineering has been going on for millennia.

"Human directed genetic modification has been occurring since first domesticating organisms in 12 000 BC."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_genetic_engineering

Yes, but I am talking about harmful GMOs, which is what we get a lot today. I didn't think I had to act as if I was in a kindergarten class and actually need to explain that, but here we are.

Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts

Avoid heavily processed foods (so much hidden sugar and salt), and white carbohydrates. Eat low levels of complex carbs, tons of fruits and veggies, moderate amounts of meat and you should be good. If you're a snacker like me you should switch to fruit and veggie snacks with no dip. I eat a ton of cabbage, bean sprouts, and carrots as snacks.

I like to eat organic foods because they tend to taste better and I worry about yet unknown long term effects of pesticides, hormones, and antibiotic overuse. I wouldn't worry about this as a much as the other stuff because there is a reasonable chance that it doesn't make a difference healthwise for most foods. I just happen to know a fair number of local food growers and I have space/time to grow some of my own food as well so it's easy for me to eat organic. The only exception is it is very clear that antibiotic overuse in meat production is a serious problem that needs to be addressed.

The GMO stuff is overblown. There is nothing inherently bad about GMO food other than the corporations that make them are often super scummy (see Monsanto)

Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts

@thegerg: I hate to admit agreeing with thegerg on something but he's right for once.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

I think you're doing enough dieting-wise, OP. Just increase the protein and start lifting weights.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26  Edited By ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

You need soul food. Start with some fried chicken, pizza, Steak (medium rare), sweet potatoes, chili/cheese fries, onion rings, turkey legs, spaghettio's, Craft Mac and Cheese, and a big bowl of ice cream. To wash everything down you'll definitely need a nice wheat beer and some red wine. Along with some cherry coke (whisky optional). Hope that helps.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AmazonTreeBoa
@thegerg said:

AmazonTreeBoa: You don't have to act as if you're in a kindergarten class, but it would benefit you to type what you mean instead of spewing some BS about GMO Floods that makes it obvious you don't know what GMO foods are.

The whole anti-GMO movement has a lot of political backing and marketing support, but there's a lot of bullshit and misinformation being thrown around.

And I was talking to TC, not you when I said what I said because I assumed he (unlike you) would understand what I meant. I don't need to explain myself to you.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

@ferrari2001 said:

You need soul food. Start with some fried chicken, pizza, Steak (medium rare), sweet potatoes, chili/cheese fries, onion rings, turkey legs, spaghettio's, Craft Mac and Cheese, and a big bowl of ice cream. To wash everything down you'll definitely need a nice wheat beer and some red wine. Along with some cherry coke (whisky optional). Hope that helps.

That is an absolutely terrible suggestion. I'm not sure you're being serious. There's nothing worse than gaining desired weight through high calorie and astronomically high fat diet. Not only its detrimental to one's health, but the extra gained weight will look HORRIBLE. All saggy and squishy.

His best bet is a diet high in protein coupled with a decent workout regiment. He can indulge to an extent in carbs for energy if he's working out decently, given that he already has a high metabolism that stops him from gaining weight to begin with.

BlackGenjii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 12

#30 BlackGenjii
Member since 2013 • 256 Posts

@Mercenary848 said:

Have you tried flax seed or wheat grass, what about whey protein or coconut water, those are all great and very healthy ways to stay young and fit and have optimal health.

Also, apple cider vinegar, that's one of the main reasons why Clint Eastwood is so healthy for his age, he uses apple cider vinegar every single day.

There's a lot of other great and healthy ways to stay young and fit, but those are the ones that I think are among the key essentials.

Also, before I forget to mention, I highly recommend green tea, white tea and rooibos tea, they are known for their many powerful, healing and longevity-boosting properties.

I hope those tips help.

ultimate-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ultimate-k
Member since 2010 • 2348 Posts

Eat some nuts and avoid GMO's!

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

How you should eat and how much is really dependent on what your goals are and how active you are. But at the very least, I recommend concentrating on whole foods. If you must buy any packaged foods, then make sure it has a short ingredient list with everything you can identify and pronounce. Eliminate all things with white flour in it (white breads, pastas, snacks, cakes, and practically everything else manufactured by big food companies). White flour is as bad or even worse than table sugar (look around, most people have a wheat belly). Even cutting back on whole wheat can be a good idea; if you think you need grains, there are better alternatives. Also protein is overrated, unless you are a growing baby or training to be Mr. Universe. Don't go overboard thinking you need to rely on a bunch of meat and dairy for protein. People typically are nowhere near protein deficient as they are nutrient deficient. Which leads to my last point, aim for nutrient dense foods. I'm talking micro-nutrients (vitamins, minerals).

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

Keep a food diary for a couple weeks.

I had always assumed that I was eating the 2-3K calories daily recommended by nutritionists (I work out so 3K would be normal for me). I was shocked to discover that I was regularly eating 4-5K calories daily. It's not that I was eating vast quantities of food but was eating calorically dense food.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

exercise

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

plain/unsweetened Coconut Water.

Coconut Water is great for,if you get the right brand. Pick the wrong brand,and you'll be drinking as much sugar as in a Coke.

Coconut Water is good because it rebuilds lean muscle and gives you tons of energy. It is great when working out or in need of energy.

Drink 1 coconut water in the morning and drink the second one when either working out or in need of energy.

It does have sugar in it reminded you. But if you get plain/unsweetened,it doesn't have much.

Hope this help!