Star Wars VS Tolkien's Middle-Earth

Posted by SythusHD (38 posts) 5 months, 2 days ago

Poll: Star Wars VS Tolkien's Middle-Earth (24 votes)

Star Wars 29%
Tolkien's Middle-Earth 71%

What's better, Star Wars or Tolkien's Middle-Earth [LOTR & The Hobbit]

I personally think Tolkien's Middle Earth is better, the story is so much more complex and the characters are really detailed, Star Wars is amazing but Tolkien's Middle-Earth is a superior series

#1 Posted by EPICCOMMANDER (442 posts) -

I was considering making this exact same thread a while ago actually.

Star Wars for sure.

#2 Posted by Boddicker (2579 posts) -

Both are complete shit.

/thread

#3 Edited by br0kenrabbit (12854 posts) -

Both have the problem in that the entire cast of heroes are invincible. However, Tolkien's works have a hell of a lot of back story to them that was laid out before he started writing the novels. The back story in Star Wars was mostly made up as they went along, and it shows (Luke kissed his sister because at that point the who sister-brother thing wasn't even an idea.)

#4 Posted by one_plum (6349 posts) -

LOTR has the better story, but I'm more familiar with Star Wars.

#5 Posted by 187umKILLAH (1337 posts) -

I like both but have a slight preference for LOTR

#6 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16685 posts) -

LOTR in terms of the main cast of characters being fleshed out, but some of the stories that have come out of the Expanded Universe of Star Wars are just fantastic. Because of this, I'll have to say Star Wars.

#7 Posted by Heirren (16639 posts) -

Star Wars is far more complex

#8 Posted by themajormayor (25712 posts) -
#9 Posted by uninspiredcup (7975 posts) -

The original 3. Well, 2. I didn't really like the first one.

#10 Posted by RadecSupreme (4646 posts) -

I like both.

#11 Posted by SolidSnake35 (58095 posts) -
#12 Edited by lamprey263 (23292 posts) -

I'll give it to Star Wars, because of the Ewok Adventures. The LOTR movies were criminally boring. Even with the shitty Star Wars Episodes 1 - 4, Empire and Jedi were still cool, and they made a lot of cool Star Wars video games over the years. And the old Star Wars action figures were pretty dope too.

#13 Posted by KHAndAnime (13503 posts) -

Pretty hard to compare, we're talking about different mediums here.

#14 Edited by PonchoTaco (1989 posts) -

I personally have no interest in Science fiction like Star Wars, Star Trek (really anything with space exploration and aliens).

LOTR is the easy choice for me. :P

Plus, anything mid evil/middle earth era is automatically a win for me.

#15 Posted by lightleggy (15910 posts) -

I honestly hate every single space sci-fi setting because all the displays about it always show an amazing level of restriction (which is kind of ironic considering how there is plenty of space). You always look at "colonies" in those films, games or whatever and they are just an extremely small set of buildings where the people lived in what could be called poverty or at the very least an extremely restricted life.

Also if you don't happen to live in like the main world of the "federation" or whatever then you're fucked, space pirates, enslavers, monsters or whatever, no one can save you.

#16 Edited by KHAndAnime (13503 posts) -

I honestly hate every single space sci-fi setting because all the displays about it always show an amazing level of restriction (which is kind of ironic considering how there is plenty of space). You always look at "colonies" in those films, games or whatever and they are just an extremely small set of buildings where the people lived in what could be called poverty or at the very least an extremely restricted life.

Also if you don't happen to live in like the main world of the "federation" or whatever then you're fucked, space pirates, enslavers, monsters or whatever, no one can save you.

Just because people inhabit space, everyone is rich and affords big illustrious homes? Makes absolutely no sense and doesn't describe Star Wars' setting in the least.

#17 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10548 posts) -

Apples and Oranges

#18 Posted by bowchicka07 (1073 posts) -

Vs. A Song of Ice and Fire

#19 Edited by chaplainDMK (6764 posts) -

Warhammer 40k

#20 Posted by RadecSupreme (4646 posts) -
#21 Posted by hippiesanta (9817 posts) -

should have been

Mass Effect universe vs Westeros and Essos

#22 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

I didn't vote because I can't really compare the two.