This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dalton4014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Dalton4014
Member since 2005 • 56 Posts

who else thinks the trailers are killing the movie (cool beans? what the heck!).

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16880 Posts

who else thinks the trailers are killing the movie (cool beans? what the heck!).

Dalton4014

I've seen the trailers and thought the same thing...However, when you really think about it, it's a kids movie. Everything is bright, hyper-kinetic, the dialogue is leaning to the corny side...plus, it's a PG rated film. I guess it'll do okay, but the fans who grew up with the original are probably foaming at the mouth with rage over the look of the film.

cametall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 cametall
Member since 2003 • 7692 Posts

The trailer didn't look kiddy to me. Colorful, but not kiddy.

Anyone else get a good laugh seeing John Goodman?

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

The trailer didn't look kiddy to me. Colorful, but not kiddy.

Anyone else get a good laugh seeing John Goodman?

cametall

I should have been more specific. It's aimed for a younger audience without looking too kiddy. It's starting to be promoted heavily on Nick and Cartoon Network. It was amusing to see John Goodman as Pops Racer, though.

Lord_Daemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 Lord_Daemon
Member since 2005 • 24535 Posts

I've seen the trailers and thought the same thing...However, when you really think about it, it's a kids movie. Everything is bright, hyper-kinetic, the dialogue is leaning to the corny side...plus, it's a PG rated film. I guess it'll do okay, but the fans who grew up with the original are probably foaming at the mouth with rage over the look of the film.

Hallenbeck77

Actually speaking as somebody who has probably been watching the series semi-religiously longer than anybody here I'm not really all that enraged about the movie's take on the anime series. Sure it would be nice to have a hard and gritty live action version specifically catering towards the age group of the people who grew up on it. But the idea of an over the top hyper saturated color fest set in a odd futuristic world doesn't seem all that odd of a setting for the series to me.

Sure, I hope the movie is acceptable and not a misguided attempt such at capturing the feeling of a living cartoon such as they tried and hopelessly failed in Dick Tracy. But let's face it, as much as I love Speed Racer it's not what you would call a quality cartoon now is it? It's always been a cheesy series with horrific acting and let me tell you the original Japanese isn't much better. I don't have misguided illusions that my generation of cartoons are sacrosanct and can't be toyed with. I will always have the originals at my disposal anyways.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
[QUOTE="Hallenbeck77"]

Lord_Daemon

Actually speaking as somebody who has probably been watching the series semi-religiously longer than anybody here I'm not really all that enraged about the movie's take on the anime series. Sure it would be nice to have a hard and gritty live action version specifically catering towards the age group of the people who grew up on it. But the idea of an over the top hyper saturated color fest set in a odd futuristic world doesn't seem all that odd of a setting for the series to me.

Sure, I hope the movie is acceptable and not a misguided attempt such at capturing the feeling of a living cartoon such as they tried and hopelessly failed in Dick Tracy. But let's face it, as much as I love Speed Racer it's not what you would call a quality cartoon now is it? It's always been a cheesy series with horrific acting and let me tell you the original Japanese isn't much better. I don't have misguided illusions that my generation of cartoons are sacrosanct and can't be toyed with. I will always have the originals at my disposal anyways.

Quite true. That's why I took a step back and thought about it a bit. It can't be any more wose that some of the other films that came out in the past few months.

Lord_Daemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lord_Daemon

Quite true. That's why I took a step back and thought about it a bit. It can't be any more wose that some of the other films that came out in the past few months.

Hallenbeck77

Indeed. Sure I'm a little annoyed at the little I've seen of the Racer X as he has always been the epitome of cool in my book and in the film he appears a little...well, small I guess is the word. But again, considering the source material I'm just hoping it's a fun film that kids can enjoy and become familar with an all new license, but one that will hopefully contain enough winks for those who grew up on it. It's a classic "over the top" film so we can only wait and see if it comes together in some sort of paletable fashion.

MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MKHavoc
Member since 2007 • 1100 Posts
It looks ridiculous but they're going for a younger audience.
deadface001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deadface001
Member since 2006 • 731 Posts
im probably going to see it just b/c it was made by the wechozky(sp) bros
SpiritEmu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 SpiritEmu
Member since 2006 • 3370 Posts
Looks like a unicorn hurled all over the film.
Carbine_Wasted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Carbine_Wasted
Member since 2008 • 301 Posts
I thought the trailer was pretty cool.
Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#13 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts
When I saw the trailer, it confirmed my belief that Hollywood is truly running out of ideas. A good movie is not a fast talking, barely moving racing cartoon turned into an up-its-own-ass live actor abonination!
Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
[QUOTE="Hallenbeck77"]

Lord_Daemon

Indeed. Sure I'm a little annoyed at the little I've seen of the Racer X as he has always been the epitome of cool in my book and in the film he appears a little...well, small I guess is the word. But again, considering the source material I'm just hoping it's a fun film that kids can enjoy and become familar with an all new license, but one that will hopefully contain enough winks for those who grew up on it. It's a classic "over the top" film so we can only wait and see if it comes together in some sort of paletable fashion.

I will say one thing about the upcoming cartoon that they are planning to ait on Nicktoons...THAT looks absolutely terrible. I saw the commercial for it yesterday, and it looks godawful even by modern animation standards. I'm not exaggerating when I say that the original looks good in comparison.

Lord_Daemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lord_Daemon

I will say one thing about the upcoming cartoon that they are planning to ait on Nicktoons...THAT looks absolutely terrible. I saw the commercial for it yesterday, and it looks godawful even by modern animation standards. I'm not exaggerating when I say that the original looks good in comparison.

Hallenbeck77

Yeah that was pretty much my impression as well. Much like the New Johnny Quest adventures were an abomination compared to the classic original, the new Speed Racer series looks to be pretty sad by comparison which is in itself a pretty pathetic realization considering the original.