South Korea: a bad country

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by samanthademeste (1097 posts) -

Heavily overpopulated and polluted.

An endless war with the North.

Rude, harsh, aggressive people. Walking down the street is always an intense experience.

A fast paced culture where everyday you can hear people yelling "hurry, hurry!" in Korean language of course.

Extreme vanity and shallow egomania everywhere. People staring at themselves in mirrors constantly. Most women have plastic surgery and it's said that 15% of the men have plastic surgery too. It makes SoCal look non-materialistic.

A country that values money, power and fame above everything else.

Extreme racism/sexism/homophobia. The racism/sexism/homophobia of many South Koreans is on par with Nazi's. The only difference is that Koreans don't express it in violence, instead they express it through words and passive aggression.

Extreme pride. People won't move out of your way on the sidewalk or hold a door open for you, or show minor gestures of friendliness.

The vast majority of the people are stressed out and it shows.

There are a few good things about it too. Yes it has low crime. Job opportunities are good. Economy is good. But the bad outweighs the good by far.

I hope Korean people will someday take a look at themselves in the mirror and realize how they look to an outsider's perspective.

Of course Koreans who are well traveled or born in other countries don't act this way. I'm not being racist here, it's not about race. It's about the culture in South Korea. Take a Korean person out of South Korea and they usually loosen up a lot.Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/asia/1322540-south-korea-what-awful-country-crime.html#ixzz2vqao8AbH

#2 Posted by one_plum (6330 posts) -

#3 Posted by osirisx3 (1740 posts) -

Please general Kim Jong Un free the south from US imperialism.

#4 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150066 posts) -

WTF....troll thread?

#5 Posted by k2theswiss (16598 posts) -

who ever said SK was a great place? every nation has issues

#6 Posted by uninspiredcup (7638 posts) -

That Korean lady from Lost was pretty hot. Too bad her husband beat her.

#7 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (15887 posts) -

I spent a year in SKorea. The only hatred I saw there was an extreme hatred for anything WW2 that was Japanese. When I moved there, I had a collection of scale models I was planning to assemble. They included some Japanese fighters from WW2. When the Korean movers delivered my household, all my model kits were there except the Japanese fighters. They simply disappeared. I checked the delivery truck and noticed a few parts and pieces I knew came from the missing model aircraft. Apparently, the Koreans destroyed them. When I confronted them about it, they played the No hablo Ingles part. I decided to let it go and file a claim.

But, Koreans being rude? Never saw it. In fact during my days off whenever I ate my lunch at a roadside stand, Korean HS boys and girls would often crowd around and eat with me, all smiles.

#8 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150066 posts) -

Apparently, the Koreans destroyed them. When I confronted them about it, they played the No hablo Ingles part. I decided to let it go and file a claim.

Awesome...didn't know the Koreans spoke in Spanish.:P

#9 Edited by vfibsux (4205 posts) -

@one_plum said:

Was my first thought to post lol.

Well good to see someone hating on a country that is not the U.S. anyway......but I would have reserved my rant for the "other" Korea.

#10 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (15887 posts) -
@LJS9502_basic said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:

Apparently, the Koreans destroyed them. When I confronted them about it, they played the No hablo Ingles part. I decided to let it go and file a claim.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Nice try.

I know you get my drift. He He. ;)

#11 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150066 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:

I was joking dude. Why so serious?:(

#12 Edited by Master_Live (13994 posts) -
#13 Posted by ad1x2 (5482 posts) -
#14 Edited by ad1x2 (5482 posts) -

I spent a year over there between the end of 2001 to the end of 2002. Some of what you say is true but that stuff doesn't apply to everybody just like almost anywhere else you go. I will admit that back then a lot of the college-aged South Koreans didn't like the US in the country but the older ones who either lived through the Korean War or were born shortly after it loved us.

My first few months there my roommate was a KATUSA and came from a rich family. They have conscription over there and the ones who are selected to work their obligation with US troops gave us a lot of insight of the culture. Of course, most KATUSAs were well connected while the ones who were less fortunate usually served their time in the regular military forces.

#15 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (15887 posts) -

@jun_aka_pekto said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:

I'm joking too. See the smiley?

#16 Edited by LJS9502_basic (150066 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:

I'm joking too. See the smiley?

I miss the emoticons...

#17 Posted by mjorh (657 posts) -

Seriously you have no idea what a "Bad" country is.....

#18 Edited by GazaAli (22492 posts) -

I'm not buying it one bit. I think we have an acute case of cultural relativism at our hands.

#19 Posted by plageus900 (966 posts) -

Oh look, and uninformed woman with an opinion.

#20 Edited by Crunchy_Nuts (2749 posts) -

South Korea gave us Samsung. That makes it instantly better than the rest of the world.

/somewhatofanexaggeration

#21 Posted by Treflis (11427 posts) -

If those are the criteria of a bad country, then there are no Good countries.

#22 Posted by megagene (22985 posts) -

As a Korean person, I have to say I find this thread amusing.

#23 Edited by Sephir0th_ (1377 posts) -

But, but, but....

#24 Posted by lamprey263 (22787 posts) -

Russia is worse.

#25 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150066 posts) -

South Korea gave us Samsung. That makes it instantly better than the rest of the world.

Oh yeah Samsung.....viva South Korea.

#26 Posted by wis3boi (31011 posts) -

Nobody will see the north coming in their tactical camo

#27 Posted by playmynutz (5980 posts) -

Whoever calls it bad, is bad

#28 Posted by gamerguru100 (10457 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

Nobody will see the north coming in their tactical camo

What the hell is that?! ROFL

#29 Posted by osirisx3 (1740 posts) -

North Korea gave us Kim Il Sung checkmate.

#30 Posted by foxhound_fox (87368 posts) -

I didn't know people could get internet access in North Korea.

#31 Posted by Dogswithguns (10690 posts) -

South Korea is the highest suicide nation in the world... it's pretty much sux.

#32 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150066 posts) -

Greenland is number one....

#33 Posted by Dogswithguns (10690 posts) -

@Dogswithguns said:

Greenland is number one....

That's also true..

#34 Posted by SonicNextGen2 (3396 posts) -

Ugh, another one of these threads.

My opinion: Every country has it issues, every country has its customs, and every country has its ideal. Use the concept of cultural relativism and we're all the same.