So...science just mapped the enzyme that causes aging...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nintendoman562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nintendoman562
Member since 2007 • 5593 Posts

[QUOTE="nintendoman562"]

It's an unrealistic drug target because it's absolutely necessary for DNA replication.

DirigiblePlums

I could be wrong here, but couldn't we shut off the aging part of it but not the DNA replication part? I'm sure science can do it, given enough time.

Telemores are the end parts of DNA, essentially they act as a timer for how long that cell will live (to put it as simply as possible). With each replication the telomeres fall off but telomerase re-attaches them. With each replication, the telomeres get shorter until they're no longer present, causing the cell to die. If you "shut off the aging part" as you put it, you're going to cause cancer.

DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DrTrafalgarLaw
Member since 2011 • 4487 Posts

Your thread title is misleading as telomerase enlongates the telomeres of DNA chromosomes, thus giving it a longer life.
They overactivated telomerase in mouse models before. It lead to horrible cancers.

You still have the problem of mitochondria decaying much faster than the nucleus/DNA, due to oxidative stress over a life's time.
Telomeres are only one part of achieving theoretical immortality. I'm surprised we do not conserve cells of newborn babies as a standard procedure seeing that those cells are in pristine condition, with maximum lenght telomeres.

DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DrTrafalgarLaw

[QUOTE="NEWMAHAY"]

Telomerase reverses ageing process

Good resource if anyone wants to read.

Yusuke420

What about an artficial enzyme? Build one that replicates to a certain point and then stops completely. 

enzymes do have a half life but it's hard to manipulate that. It's impossible to build that kind of count-specific timer on an enzym. An enzym does it's job continously untill something tags it with the so-called kiss of death. (ubiquitin)

Literally, all that enzym does it add A's to the tails of chromosomes. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
It only stops when the template of A's it uses runs out.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#4 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

I don't think they should ever make us have much longer lifespans than we do now. Now if they can give us a higher quality of life till the end that would be awesome. Slow the physical aging down would be great. I'm sure nearly every 40yr old wishes they still had the body they did at 25.Kurushio

some scientist believe they be able transfer your brains to a robot  

http://rt.com/news/prime-time/avatar-russian-scientists-brain-983/

mark Zuckerberg is funding a similar project  IDk if thats the same one he's funding 

20415-Part-Man-Part-Robot-Muscular-Guy-W

Forget the body of a 25Yold. More like the body of superman.  well not that insane because we all know superman is overpowered lol

DirigiblePlums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DirigiblePlums
Member since 2013 • 142 Posts

http://newsroom.ucla.edu/portal/ucla/breakthrough-3-d-structure-of-245100.aspx

Like finally seeing all the gears of a watch and how they work together, researchers from UCLA and UC Berkeley have, for the first time ever, solved the puzzle of how the various components of an entire telomerase enzyme complex fit together and function in a three-dimensional structure. The creation of the first complete visual map of the telomerase enzyme, which is known to play a significant role in aging and most cancers, represents a breakthrough that could open up a host of new approaches to fighting disease, the researchers said.
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
So,kill it with fire?
nintendoman562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nintendoman562
Member since 2007 • 5593 Posts

It's an unrealistic drug target because it's absolutely necessary for DNA replication.

Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Yusuke420
Member since 2012 • 2770 Posts

http://newsroom.ucla.edu/portal/ucla/breakthrough-3-d-structure-of-245100.aspx

Like finally seeing all the gears of a watch and how they work together, researchers from UCLA and UC Berkeley have, for the first time ever, solved the puzzle of how the various components of an entire telomerase enzyme complex fit together and function in a three-dimensional structure. The creation of the first complete visual map of the telomerase enzyme, which is known to play a significant role in aging and most cancers, represents a breakthrough that could open up a host of new approaches to fighting disease, the researchers said.DirigiblePlums

I CAME BUCKETS! This is finally it, good bye aging, we gonna hit the club forever!

DirigiblePlums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DirigiblePlums

nintendoman562
I could be wrong here, but couldn't we shut off the aging part of it but not the DNA replication part? I'm sure science can do it, given enough time.
Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Kurushio
Member since 2004 • 10485 Posts
I don't think they should ever make us have much longer lifespans than we do now. Now if they can give us a higher quality of life till the end that would be awesome. Slow the physical aging down would be great. I'm sure nearly every 40yr old wishes they still had the body they did at 25.
whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#11 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

From what i've heard in my biology classes I think cancer and aging are somewhat opposites. Normal cells do not replace their telomeres and thus have a limited lifespan, after a certain number of replications the telomere is eaten away and the cell stops replicating and dies (when this happens in large numbers eventually the person begins to exhibit the various signs of aging), in germ-cells (i.e. cells that give rise to ova and spermatazoa) and in cancer cells the telomeres are repaired so that they could replicate themselves in perpetuity if provided the right nutrients and raw materials.

DirigiblePlums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DirigiblePlums
I don't think they should ever make us have much longer lifespans than we do now. Now if they can give us a higher quality of life till the end that would be awesome. Slow the physical aging down would be great. I'm sure nearly every 40yr old wishes they still had the body they did at 25.Kurushio
We'll continue to age, but it doesn't mean we're invincible. We've got disease, wildlife, and good old fashioned fellow human beings to do us in. Personally I wouldn't mind not kicking the bucket for a couple hundred years or so. That whole dying thing doesn't appeal to me much, kiddo.
whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#13 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

[QUOTE="nintendoman562"]

DirigiblePlums

However if we shut down the aging part by making it possible to repair the telomeres than those cells could replicate in perpetuity and perhaps uncontrollably.

DirigiblePlums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DirigiblePlums

From what i've heard in my biology classes I think cancer and aging are somewhat opposites. Normal cells do not replace their telomeres and thus have a limited lifespan, after a certain number of replications the telomere is eaten away and the cell stops replicating and dies (when this happens in large numbers eventually the person begins to exhibit the various signs of aging), in germ-cells (i.e. cells that give rise to ova and spermatazoa) and in cancer cells the telomeres are repaired so that they could replicate themselves in perpetuity if provided the right nutrients and raw materials.

whipassmt
Interesting.
NEWMAHAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NEWMAHAY
Member since 2012 • 3824 Posts
The limitations on telomerases occurred for a reason. Keeping over-activity = a much higher chance for cancer. They pseudo-reversed age a mouse already via teleomerase manipulations. But a mouse model is much easier because their telomerase activity is different. It seems to be only a proof of concept paper anyways. However, the reason evolutionarily is because of cancer and uncontrolled cellular growth and ect...
DirigiblePlums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DirigiblePlums
[QUOTE="DirigiblePlums"][QUOTE="nintendoman562"]

nintendoman562

Telemores are the end parts of DNA, essentially they act as a timer for how long that cell will live (to put it as simply as possible). With each replication the telomeres fall off but telomerase re-attaches them. With each replication, the telomeres get shorter until they're no longer present, causing the cell to die. If you "shut off the aging part" as you put it, you're going to kill the cell.

Ah I see
Bane_09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Bane_09
Member since 2010 • 3394 Posts

So I'm going to live forever now?

NEWMAHAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 NEWMAHAY
Member since 2012 • 3824 Posts

Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 Yusuke420
Member since 2012 • 2770 Posts

NEWMAHAY

What about an artficial enzyme? Build one that replicates to a certain point and then stops completely. 

Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Kurushio
Member since 2004 • 10485 Posts
[QUOTE="Kurushio"]I don't think they should ever make us have much longer lifespans than we do now. Now if they can give us a higher quality of life till the end that would be awesome. Slow the physical aging down would be great. I'm sure nearly every 40yr old wishes they still had the body they did at 25.DirigiblePlums
We'll continue to age, but it doesn't mean we're invincible. We've got disease, wildlife, and good old fashioned fellow human beings to do us in. Personally I wouldn't mind not kicking the bucket for a couple hundred years or so. That whole dying thing doesn't appeal to me much, kiddo.

I did say immortal, not invincible. Dying doesnt really appeal to anyone, but even with a current medical advancements, are already pushing what the earth can support with our current standard of life. So to keep our current standards, we cant be selfish and live until an accident or mishap end our lives. Plus most older people generally do get tired and the more religious even look forward to death to see thier loved ones that have already left them. It would be great to see how we keep advancing and the stories yet to be told, but i accept that we already live in a pretty great time despite the suffering still going on in the world.
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#21 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

No tell them figure out why we need sleep and make a no sleep pill or something... 

OR

tell NASA lasso the earth and pull it back from the sun because i need more hours in a day

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

[QUOTE="NEWMAHAY"]

DrTrafalgarLaw

enzymes do have a half life but it's hard to manipulate that. It's impossible to build that kind of count-specific timer on an enzym. An enzym does it's job continously untill something tags it with the so-called kiss of death. (ubiquitin)

Literally, all that enzym does it add A's to the tails of chromosomes. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

It's actually not A's, it's a repetitive sequence and actually can repeat the template multiple times

DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DrTrafalgarLaw

[QUOTE="DrTrafalgarLaw"]

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"] What about an artficial enzyme? Build one that replicates to a certain point and then stops completely. 

lostrib

It's actually not A's, it's a repetitive sequence and actually can repeat the template multiple times

Oh yeah, scuse me.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

[QUOTE="nintendoman562"]

DirigiblePlums

lol

I'm no scientist but this sounds like the premise for a bad sci-fi movie.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

Teenaged

lol

in time

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Teenaged

Is that the premise of the film? >__>

PS: I dont watch a lot of movies, let alone Justin Timberlake movies.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

Teenaged

Yes, everyones ages if fixed at 27 years and people then have to work for extra time and if the clock on yout arm goes to zero you die, and there is a small group of rich people that have thousands of years, Leonard from big bang is in it.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38683 Posts
interesting
Angie7F

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Angie7F
Member since 2011 • 1175 Posts

Well, even if they find it, they wont let us lay people get access to it...

CursedChamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 CursedChamp
Member since 2013 • 485 Posts
It should be interesting to see how this will turn out in the advancement in the human race.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

tenaka2

Yes, everyones ages if fixed at 27 years and people then have to work for extra time and if the clock on yout arm goes to zero you die, and there is a small group of rich people that have thousands of years, Leonard from big bang is in it.

Hm, interesting...

Is it crappy or just mediocre?

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#32 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts
[QUOTE="Kurushio"]I don't think they should ever make us have much longer lifespans than we do now. Now if they can give us a higher quality of life till the end that would be awesome. Slow the physical aging down would be great. I'm sure nearly every 40yr old wishes they still had the body they did at 25.DirigiblePlums

You say it now because you have like what, 20 years? I'd like to see you saying that when you're like 100 or 150 when most people you know wont even be around anymore.
Avatar image for hiphop_quotable
hiphop_quotable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 hiphop_quotable
Member since 2006 • 362 Posts

Day 1

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

Teenaged

Hm, interesting...

Is it crappy or just mediocre?

6/10

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TacticalDesire

Teenaged

lol

If I'm not mistaken scientists have already reversed aging in mice.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#36 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Did anyone watch Torchwood where dying stopped and the population and suffering bloated to epidemic levels? I can't wait for a world like that :roll:
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#37 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="DirigiblePlums"] I could be wrong here, but couldn't we shut off the aging part of it but not the DNA replication part? I'm sure science can do it, given enough time.TacticalDesire

lol

It's not exactly an easy transition

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TacticalDesire

[QUOTE="TacticalDesire"]

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]lol

lostrib

It's not exactly an easy transition

No, I'd imagine it's quite difficult, and I'm not saying it is anything we will achieve in the near future, but the possibility remains.

khatibi22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#39 khatibi22
Member since 2005 • 7330 Posts

I don't believe this. Similar stuff have been said some 50 years ago...