Someone dumped a dog on me.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Earlier today, I caught some kid trying to put a dog in my backyard. I told the kid to **** off and take his dog with him. Anyway, I just get home from work and I find the dog sitting on my front porch in the rain. The dog is hurt too. I don't know how badly, but its leg is wrapped up with a bandage. So I figure that at the very least the dog has a broken leg.

So who should I call? Animal control? The humane society? Who are the best people to call to come take the dog?

Also, I don't know the kid who dropped the dog off. Never seen him before, so I can't report the kid to the police. I'm thinking of taking a picture of the dog and then asking around the neighborhood to see if anyone knows who the owner is. Is that a good idea, or is that the kind of thing that's gonna get me in trouble?

Anyway, what kind of scumbag drops a dog off at a neighbor's home? That's some trashy **** right there. If they didn't want the dog, how hard would it have been for THEM to call somebody instead of dumping the thing onto my hands? Except that they're probably the ones who hurt the dog.

CrimzonTide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 CrimzonTide
Member since 2007 • 12187 Posts
I'd just ask around and put up some posters. You can't abandon it; but it was a cheap move by the guy to push him on you. He probably knew that there is no other path for you to take.
duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts

Either of those two groups should take care of the dog just fine. You might want to contact them ASAP as you never know if the dog has been mistreated and needs medical attention soon.

No collar?

Avatar image for -TheSecondSign-
-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 -TheSecondSign-
Member since 2007 • 9301 Posts
Take it to whatever shelter you can, but of course the doglover in me says "no kill shelter", but there are enough dogs already, but any of those places will work.
ReconKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 ReconKing
Member since 2008 • 52 Posts
you could call the ASPCA, i dunno, hang up flyer but I would take in the dog. what breed is it(question mark) i cant believe that crapper left the dog there...poor dog
NYiVtec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NYiVtec
Member since 2007 • 1422 Posts
report that fool. give the po-po a general discription and they will be able to find him
Avatar image for DeeJayInphinity
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DeeJayInphinity
Member since 2004 • 13415 Posts

Either of those two groups should take care of the dog just fine. You might want to contact them ASAP as you never know if the dog has been mistreated and needs medical attention soon.

No collar?

duxup
And the longer you keep him, the better the odds are of the authorities investigating and one of your neighbors saying that "they have seen the dog there for a while."
The Humane Society is good. They'll pick him up for you, all you have to do is say that someone dumped him on you, and they will take care of it.They'll then try to find someone who will adopt it.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MrGeezer

No collar?

duxup

I think I'm gonna have to wait until the morning. Unless those guys work at 11 PM.

Anyway, I don't see a collar, but I don't want to look too closely. It's sort of hiding in the bushes right now so it's hard to get a good look at it. Also, the dog isn't a big dog, but it doesn't look very friendly. And it's pretty scared I think, from just getting dumped somewhere alone. So I don't really want to mess with it, for fear of either getting bitten or causing the dog to hurt itself even worse.

Anyway, what do you think about going around and seeing if anyone knows the dog? Because I REALLY want to turn in the ****ers who did this.

Avatar image for ElectronicMagic
ElectronicMagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ElectronicMagic
Member since 2005 • 5412 Posts

Ouch, that sucks man. You should probably give the Humane Society a ring. I'd personally try to wash my hands of the situation as soon as possible. I don't understand how people could just drop a dog off like that. If you ever see the kid again, you should give him an ear full.

darkmoney52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 darkmoney52
Member since 2004 • 4332 Posts
I suggest you pass the dog off to someone else. In time your whole neighborhood may have spent some time with the dog.
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DeeJayInphinity

Anyway, what do you think about going around and seeing if anyone knows the dog? Because I REALLY want to turn in the ****ers who did this.

MrGeezer
I think the best you can do is to post signs around the neighborhood asking people to call you if they know where the dog came from.
N8A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 N8A
Member since 2007 • 18602 Posts
call animal control.
hell_blazer899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hell_blazer899
Member since 2006 • 1907 Posts
the best thing for you to do is sell it on eBay. at the same time, you can earn some cold-hard cash if ur low on budget.
bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 bogaty
Member since 2003 • 4750 Posts

Try some Korean food.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosintang

The standard amount of ingredients for one portion:

(1) Ingredients
100g of boiled dog meat
500g of gravy
20g of green onion
10g of a leek
10g of perilla leaves
100g of taro stalk soaked in water.

(2) Sauce
8g of salt
2g of mashed garlic
3g of perilla
2g of red pepper
2g of mashed ginger
a little amount of pepper.

(3) Cooking instruction
After boiling the meat with gravy and stalk of taro for some time, boil
again after putting vegetables and other ingredients into it. Before
eating, sprinkle pepper on it and put into an earthen bowl. The stalk of
taro is to be kept in cold water one or two days to get rid of its smell
and taste.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MrGeezer
I honestly don't think this is very funny. If you don't care then you don't care, but that's a horrible thing to do to an animal.
Snooky_McGoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Snooky_McGoo
Member since 2008 • 343 Posts
if that happened to me i think i would keep the dog.
hell_blazer899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hell_blazer899
Member since 2006 • 1907 Posts
dump the dog belongings back and remind him how serious you really are.
bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 bogaty
Member since 2003 • 4750 Posts

I honestly don't think this is very funny. If you don't care then you don't care, but that's a horrible thing to do to an animal.
MrGeezer

What? Use it for food? I don't see the problem. I eat beef, pork, fowl, seafood, mutton, lamb, and others. I have no moral objection to eating dog. I just don't care for the texture or smell.

Fredrick2003x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Fredrick2003x
Member since 2005 • 2056 Posts

Mandatory Joke: LOL R U OKAY!?!

Seriously though, I think you should keep the dog, you really can't trust anybody these days.

Avatar image for Cloud_Insurance
Cloud_Insurance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Cloud_Insurance
Member since 2008 • 3279 Posts
You should keep it, if you take it to the vet and get it healed up and then feed it and give it a home it will love you for life
Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Lockedge
Member since 2002 • 16765 Posts

Poor dog.

Well, one one hand, it being with you is likely safer than it with it's real owners, if it's hurt. Humane Society and whatnot are solid options. I suppose putting up signs/posters of the dog to weed out any info on it would be a good idea.

I think the most important thing right now is to see to its injuries.

Robertoey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Robertoey
Member since 2005 • 1996 Posts
Find out how packed your local shelters are. If your shelters are full, unless the dog has some very redeeming qualities that might tempt someone to adopt it, you can bet that it will be put down after a few short weeks.
peppersfan2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 peppersfan2
Member since 2007 • 1064 Posts

god what a jerk. I can't believe some people are so sociopathic and careless. wait until the morning and call whoever you want. and put up fliers/ask arond. Their is a good chance that dog will be put down though if given away to the authorites.

If you see the kid. Take a dump on him.

DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DeeJayInphinity
Find out how packed your local shelters are. If your shelters are full, unless the dog has some very redeeming qualities that might tempt someone to adopt it, you can bet that it will be put down after a few short weeks.Robertoey
It might end up with a foster family.