Some schools replacing tug-of-war with tug-of-peace...

• 88 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BMD004
Member since 2010 • 5883 Posts

Excerpt:

School Has Become Too Hostile to Boys

And efforts to re-engineer the young-male imagination are doomed to fail

Across the country, schools are policing and punishing the distinctive, assertive sociability of boys. Many much-loved games have vanished from school playgrounds. At some schools, tug of war has been replaced with tug of peace. Since the 1990s, elimination games like dodgeball, red rover and tag have been under a cloud too damaging to self-esteem and too violent, say certain experts. Young boys, with few exceptions, love action narratives. These usually involve heroes, bad guys, rescues and shoot-ups. As boys play proceeds, plots become more elaborate and the boys more transfixed. When researchers ask boys why they do it, the standard replyis, Because its fun.

According to at least one study, such play rarely escalates into real aggression only about 1% of the time. But when two researchers, Mary Ellin Logue and Hattie Harvey, surveyed classroom practices of 98 teachers of 4-year-olds, they found that this style of play was the least tolerated. Nearly half of teachers stopped or redirected boys dramatic play daily or several times a week whereas less than a third reported stopping or redirecting girls dramatic play weekly.

Play is a critical basis for learning. And boys heroic play is no exception. Logue and Harvey found that bad guy play improved childrens conversation and imaginative writing. Such play, say the authors, also builds moral imagination, social competence and imparts critical lessons about personal limits and self-restraint. Logue and Harvey worry that the growing intolerance for boys action-narrative-play choices may be undermining their early language development and weakening their attachment to school. Imagine the harm done to boys like Christopher, Josh and Alex who are not merely discouraged from their choice of play, but are punished, publicly shamed and ostracized.

Schools must enforce codes of discipline and maintain clear rules against incivility and malicious behavior. But that hardly requires abolishing tag, imposing games of tug of peace or banning superhero play. Efforts to re-engineer the young-male imagination are doomed to fail, but they will succeed spectacularly in at least one way. They will send a clear and unmistakable message to millions of schoolboys: You are not welcome in school.

http://ideas.time.com/2013/08/19/school-has-become-too-hostile-to-boys/#ixzz2cRNwXbNHChristina Hoff Sommers - TIME

What exactly is "Tug-of Peace"?

Participants group themselves around a rope that has been tied in a knot to form a circle. Players squat down around the rope, holding the rope with both hands. At the count of three, all players lean back and-using the energy of the group-they stand up. When everyone has stood up (and cheered), players can, on the count of three again, carefully lean back into a squat.

In this game, the counterbalance support that players provide to one another is a graphic representation of mutual support and cooperation. Its a totally different experience than Tug-of-War, which can be a painful exercise that activates aggression and leaves players in the dirt.
(This game comes from Maria Sapon-Shevin, Because We Can Change the World)

http://cooperativegames.com/fun-free/tug-of-peace/Cooperative Games

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

I feel bad for the kids. When I was young the best thing in the world to play were these kinds of games.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

Efforts to re-engineer the young-male imagination are doomed to fail, but they will succeed spectacularly in at least one way. They will send a clear and unmistakable message to millions of schoolboys: You are not welcome in school.

BMD004

"Tug of Peace" is silly and dumb but holy shit this is an overreaction

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

oh god dammit

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

Just rename it "pull hard on the robe". Oh wait, you can't do that, it sounds too much like masturbation which we can't let boys do.

DavesAlt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DavesAlt
Member since 2012 • 950 Posts
Can we just point and laugh instead of overreacting to stupidity for once
Rich3232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Rich3232
Member since 2012 • 2628 Posts
I loved dodgeball. I wasn't a hardhitter, but I was an agile mofo that was accurate.
BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BMD004

[QUOTE="BMD004"]

Efforts to re-engineer the young-male imagination are doomed to fail, but they will succeed spectacularly in at least one way. They will send a clear and unmistakable message to millions of schoolboys: You are not welcome in school.

JML897

Did you read the rest of the article? Boys are being punished for being boys. They end up hating school and losing interest. They end up not getting grades they are capable of getting. School becomes "hostile" to young boys because they feel like they can't be boys and are being restrained.

It has been extensively written about. This article isn't the first one.

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

Participants group themselves around a rope that has been tied in a knot to form a circle. Players squat down around the rope, holding the rope with both hands. At the count of three, all players lean back and-using the energy of the group-they stand up. When everyone has stood up (and cheered), players can, on the count of three again, carefully lean back into a squat.

In this game, the counterbalance support that players provide to one another is a graphic representation of mutual support and cooperation. Its a totally different experience than Tug-of-War, which can be a painful exercise that activates aggression and leaves players in the dirt.Cooperative Games

Reading that makes me feel hostile and aggressive.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#10 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

tug of peace, lol.

And how is tag violent, you just chase people and tag them, it's not like you tackle somebody.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

tug of peace, lol.

And how is tag violent, you just chase people and tag them, it's not like you tackle somebody.

whipassmt
I'm guessing it's a self-esteem problem for when a fat kid gets tagged and then he's too slow to tag someone else so then he just sits and cries about it
whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 whipassmt

[QUOTE="JML897"]

[QUOTE="BMD004"]

BMD004

Did you read the rest of the article? Boys are being punished for being boys. They end up hating school and losing interest. They end up not getting grades they are capable of getting. School becomes "hostile" to young boys because they feel like they can't be boys and are being restrained.

It has been extensively written about. This article isn't the first one.

hmm. It seems to me that not only can this harm their education, but could maybe effect them socially and if this is common enough could increase obesity and it could hamper the ability of the U.S. military to recruit.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lostrib

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

tug of peace, lol.

JML897

I'm guessing it's a self-esteem problem for when a fat kid gets tagged and then he's too slow to tag someone else so then he just sits and cries about it

Yeah, it would be awful to teach him that not everyone is equal and that life isn't fair.  

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

tug of peace, lol.

JML897

The fat kid at our school threw rocks at us when he was tagged.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 whipassmt

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

tug of peace, lol.

JML897

yeah, the article did say something about self-esteem. But people gotta learn their weaknesses, if you are slow then you must strategize more and figure out other ways to tag and avoid being tagged. It's better for them to learn those things in tag, than have to learn them in the real world.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 whipassmt

[QUOTE="JML897"][QUOTE="whipassmt"]

tug of peace, lol.

lostrib

Yeah, it would be awful to teach him that not everyone is equal and that life isn't fair.

He'll have to learn eventually. Besides everyone has their weaknesses, so they have to figure out how to compensate for them. For instance if someone is fast but weak, they have to learn that they should run rather than fight.

Amster_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 Amster_G
Member since 2009 • 4329 Posts

Oversensitive...

WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

They got rid of dodgeball when I was in high school, so the gym teachers took a page from the Simpsons and jsut renamed it bombardment. The point of the new game was to knock over pins on the other side of the gym. If other kids just happened to be in the way of the ball, they were out.

DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 DevilMightCry
Member since 2007 • 3554 Posts
Welcome to Liberal's and Statist's America.
Rich3232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Rich3232
Member since 2012 • 2628 Posts
Welcome to Liberal's and Statist's America. DevilMightCry
Whereas in Conservative America. the kids would be using actual guns. See, I can make vastly fvcking stupid statements just like you!
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
dodge-ball was one of my favorite games as a kid. Don't take these games away. You only have one time in your life to be a kid and have fun, they shouldn't take that away.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5b78379493e12

We can fix that but keeping the women at home and giving all the kids guns. 

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts

RAINBOW_VOMIT_by_Mindylicious.jpg..

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58101 Posts

I swear to god, if I see this going on at a school, I am going to the hardware store, getting a shovel, digging a hole in the middle of a the school's field and making a mudhole, putting a length of rope there, and rounding up a bunch of students (boys and girls), and forcing them to play tug of GENOCIDAL WARFARE until not a single student is clean.

Those were fun times.

What the hell good is school if it does not teach you how to be better than others?  Obviously cooperation is important, but so is competition

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 surrealnumber5

I swear to god, if I see this going on at a school, I am going to the hardware store, getting a shovel, digging a hole in the middle of a the school's field and making a mudhole, putting a length of rope there, and rounding up a bunch of students (boys and girls), and forcing them to play tug of GENOCIDAL WARFARE until not a single student is clean.

Those were fun times.

What the hell good is school if it does not teach you how to be better than others?  Obviously cooperation is important, but so is competition

mrbojangles25
it is a move to the mean, therefore there are no losers, a perfectly PC 'education. "what good ever came about from being average?"
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
I am glad this is my oldest kid's last year of high school and that my youngest isn't far behind going into the tenth grade. Schools today are complete shit.
XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
All I can imagine is a slightly uneven circle resulting in some kid slipping and cracking their head on the floor.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lostrib

All I can imagine is a slightly uneven circle resulting in some kid slipping and cracking their head on the floor.XilePrincess

I think you'll just end up with a bunch of boys getting one side of the circle and trying to pull everyone over...because that's what  boys do

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 surrealnumber5
All I can imagine is a slightly uneven circle resulting in some kid slipping and cracking their head on the floor.XilePrincess
assuming kids are eggs..... people think and respond to stimuli and that includes kids.
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#30 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
seriously?
DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DevilMightCry
[QUOTE="DevilMightCry"]Welcome to Liberal's and Statist's America. Rich3232
Whereas in Conservative America. the kids would be using actual guns. See, I can make vastly fvcking stupid statements just like you!

No they wouldn't. And certainly did not. Also generally speaking, what I said is usually true. Don't get all bent out of shape. What you said is pure stupid based on nothing. Most educators are left leaning. And certainly many are statist, and that goes for both sides.
DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DevilMightCry

[QUOTE="DevilMightCry"]Welcome to Liberal's and Statist's America. jimkabrhel

Is that what happened in the 80's? But then again... how would you now, your parents weren't even alive then.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5b78379493e12

[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

[QUOTE="DevilMightCry"]Welcome to Liberal's and Statist's America. DevilMightCry

Is that what happened in the 80's? But then again... how would you now, your parents weren't even alive then.

I'm 34. So I do remember the 80s. I know you want to insult me for being a "libtard", but you need to try harder.

GamingTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GamingTitan
Member since 2004 • 657 Posts

ugh..and the pussification of America continues. 

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts
So its a game you cant win.
WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

This is all due to the touchy feely people in the arts of psychology. They are doing more harm to kids psyche than games of tug of war are doing. And yes, these are people who have received liberal arts educations and want everyone to be on the same plane when that will not be the fact when people finally get out of school.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

And the feminist war on boys continues.

DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DevilMightCry

[QUOTE="DevilMightCry"][QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

jimkabrhel

I'm 34. So I do remember the 80s. I know you want to insult me for being a "libtard", but you need to try harder.

So then why say what you did? Because its utter horseshlt. Did you grow up with kids shooting real guns and woman without a right to vote or being forced to stay at home? Because I never saw it. I certainly saw, even today with a kid in school of my own, educators who are overwhelmingly leftist pushing "feel good" hippie crap policies that only confuse and hurt children. How is it that my generation is just fine, but suddenly everything needs to be reinvented? Because it's social engineering, not by parenting, but by people who think they know better. That is a Statist by definition, whether he votes Republican or Democrat makes no difference. Don't take offense.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5b78379493e12

This is all due to the touchy feely people in the arts of psychology. They are doing more harm to kids psyche than games of tug of war are doing. And yes, these are people who have received liberal arts educations and want everyone to be on the same plane when that will not be the fact when people finally get out of school.

WhiteKnight77

Placing the blame for this crap solely on those with a "liberal arts education" isn't fair because there are quite a few educated people who think that it's goo to let children play any game they wish as long as they don't hurt each other. 

It's true that there is far too much hand-holding and a push to make every child feel entitled. 

DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DevilMightCry

[QUOTE="WhiteKnight77"]

jimkabrhel

Placing the blame for this crap solely on those with a "liberal arts education" isn't fair because there are quite a few educated people who think that it's goo to let children play any game they wish as long as they don't hurt each other. 

It's true that there is far too much hand-holding and a push to make every child feel entitled. 

The blame lies with many things, but mainly with schoolboards pushing this crap. Even if you have great trachers, they have to go along with a lot of nonsense.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5b78379493e12

[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

[QUOTE="WhiteKnight77"]

DevilMightCry

The blame lies with many things, but mainly with schoolboards pushing this crap. Even if you have great trachers, they have to go along with a lot of nonsense.

True. There is far too much administrative red tape and oversight. Far too much politically correctness, and not enough teaching students how to make proper decisions and teaching them about competition, sports and the real world.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

boys nowadays don't have a chance. It's like they're trying to turn kids into P*ssies.

BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 BMD004

WhiteKnight77
I disagree. I have an uncle who is a psychologist. He has said before he has had parents take their kids to him because they would do something like pretend to shoot bad guys. He has to explain to the parents after talking with the kid that there is nothing wrong with him... he's just being a boy. I don't know about other psychologists, but he's not somebody who is part of the "everybody gets a trophy" crowd.
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36038 Posts

[QUOTE="BMD004"]

JML897

agreed, while this idea is for a "game" is hardly the most intelligent it's also not really worth getting upset over either. Anyone who bothers to get particularly upset over this probably needs to ask themselves if they ever got anything particularly valuable out of playing a game of tug or war. My guess is they haven't.

Also possible relevant. link

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

What the f*ck is this shit?

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

the "everybody gets a trophy" crowd.BMD004
This movement irks me more than anything. They teach kids that everybody is special, even though that's a complete lie, and then kids get thrown out into the real world only to see the people that either have advantages or who legitamately are special, excel, while others don't and it just sets many people up for a huge disappointment, and might even teach them not to try as hard. After all they're already "special".

DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DevilMightCry
[QUOTE="WhiteKnight77"]

BMD004
I disagree. I have an uncle who is a psychologist. He has said before he has had parents take their kids to him because they would do something like pretend to shoot bad guys. He has to explain to the parents after talking with the kid that there is nothing wrong with him... he's just being a boy. I don't know about other psychologists, but he's not somebody who is part of the "everybody gets a trophy" crowd.

What!? I would have given my kid a medal. Context is king. It would be completely different if he wanted to pretend to be Adam Lanza.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

LOL that's awesome.

I am okay with this because it doesn't affect me and people seem actually upset LOL

danjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 danjammer69
Member since 2004 • 4331 Posts

tug of peace, lol.

whipassmt
It is not violent, but it does produce "Losers". In this society, everybody is a winner. Or at least that is how some people want it to be. Fairness is not everyone being equal. You get awarded for being sub-par. It is total BS.
Jimn_tonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Jimn_tonic
Member since 2013 • 913 Posts

lol ya because statists hate violence