Some good songs to learn on the guitar?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

By this I mean acoustic. I play both acoustic and electric but I'm fine with my level on the electric (maybe it'd be cool to improvise better but w/e, not the issue here)

So you get an idea of what I mean: I have no problem playing things like Blackbird by The Beatles, or Dust in the Wind by Kansas. I also learned how to play To Zanarkand but when I tried to learn Rylynn by Andy McKee I only got about a minute into the song and got majorly lost.

So yeah, I'm looking for songs to improve my fingerpicking, if any guitarist out there can help.

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts

Learn Pinball Wizard. It'll improve your rhythm.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

This one.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Catalli  Moderator

@br0kenrabbit: Awesome, I'll get to it :D

@lonewolf604: I like it, it reminds me of this one song by Electric Light Orchestra (can't remember the name) which really helped my rhythm.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Why not just pick music you listen to? You really picked up guitar without having a bunch of songs on guitar you wanted to learn? :p Or do you just not listen to a lot of music?

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By br0kenrabbit

@KHAndAnime said:

Why not just pick music you listen to? You really picked up guitar without having a bunch of songs on guitar you wanted to learn? :p Or do you just not listen to a lot of music?

He's looking for songs to help improve his method, not to expand his repertoire.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Catalli  Moderator

@br0kenrabbit said:

@KHAndAnime said:

He's looking for songs to help improve his method, not to expand his repertoire.

Thank you. Exactly this.

Like I already said, I wanted to learn a song by Andy McKee, but found it was too difficult for me. Another example would be Tamacun, most famous for being in the pilot of Breaking Bad, but again, I had difficulty playing that. I want to improve.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@br0kenrabbit said:

@KHAndAnime said:

And what's wrong with using songs he knows to improve his method? Do you only know a handful of artists of something? :p I'm genuinely curious.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 br0kenrabbit

@KHAndAnime said:

@br0kenrabbit said:

@KHAndAnime said:

And what's wrong with using songs he knows to improve his method? Do you only know a handful of artists of something? :p I'm genuinely curious.

He said he was looking to improve his picking technique. Over the Hills and Far Away allows you to practice a few different techniques in short bursts, with easy chords in-between to let you breathe.

Besides, I've learned plenty of songs I don't particularly like because I found the mechanics interesting. It's not just about what sounds good, it's about improving your skill set.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts

Classical gas? It takes time and is a bit tricky but there isn't anything mind blowing imo.

I really like the stuff from LickNRiff on youtube, he does a ton of fingerstyle stuff. I learned the Sherlock and Godfather themes from him.

Bastion has a really good soundtrack that i'm thinking of learning too. It's short but i really like A Proper Story.