Society conditions us to like older music.

• 81 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for QuebecNationale
QuebecNationale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 QuebecNationale
Member since 2013 • 146 Posts

I'm inclined to disagree since music from the 70's is simply better from both technical and etertainment standpoints. If you can list one modern day album that's better than Permanent Waves or 2112 by Rush then I'll agree.

Also, bands in the 70's weren't in it for the money per say but they actually enjoyed making music. Most artists in today's music industry only care about money, and would explain why most mainstream artists they keep releasing one horrid song after another.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#52 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

i hate music threadsmrmusicman247

relevant username

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

[QUOTE="lonewolf604"] Everyone has their own tastes yes. With the second thing you said, you're almost giving people an excuse to listen to commercialized crap. I don't care if 13 year olds like Justin Bieber, his music is still garbage. lonewolf604

Is there any reason why 13-year olds can't listen to music they like? We were all 13-years old once.

Oh no, they can listen to it. I still hate the fact that Bieber is commercialized crap. I'm trying to be more tolerant. Talk to me 3 years ago I hated anybody that listen to extremely commercialized music.

That's your perogative then.

Me? I let my ears decide. If the song sounds good to me, it doesn't matter if it's commercialized or not. 

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

I never really noticed any societal pressure to listen to crappy music, maybe some friends having me listen to it, but not 'pressure'. The media doesn't seem to cover good music at all anymore, just focuses on the quick buck (beiber, swift 'n such). And MTV/VH1, last I checked, are just shadows of what they used to be, playing reality trash more than music; just as History/Discovery now do instead of their original respective genre.

I just find it rather hard to find music worth listening to, new or old.

[QUOTE="mrmusicman247"]i hate music threadsInEMplease

I hate bologna.

Bologna is absolutely disgusting.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#56 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Well then society is doing a pretty terrible jobn conditioning me.

Reed_Bowie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Reed_Bowie
Member since 2011 • 506 Posts

I'm inclined to disagree since music from the 70's is simply better from both technical and etertainment standpoints. If you can list one modern day album that's better than Permanent Waves or 2112 by Rush then I'll agree.

Also, bands in the 70's weren't in it for the money per say but they actually enjoyed making music. Most artists in today's music industry only care about money, and would explain why most mainstream artists they keep releasing one horrid song after another.

QuebecNationale
The production on many 70's albums isn't that great. I'm not gonna list an album better than the ones you listed because it's all a matter of taste. And there are plenty of musicians, today, who enjoy making music. You just don't hear about them as much.
NlKO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#58 NlKO
Member since 2009 • 121 Posts

In my opinion, the best bands (or songs) are the ones that have staying power. Some music makes such an impression on people that they want to continue listening to it year after year. Some bands produce music that appeals to many subsequent generations. Staying power is a quality that is lacking in a lot of modern music. That is why I think so many people turn to older music to get their fix.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

[QUOTE="Reed_Bowie"] When I say "respond" I mean: Would you actually debate that the moon is not made of cheese, or would you read the rest of the paper? And I find it incredible how you made it to be a scientist yet you still don't know to read the entirety of something before responding to it. There's also a clear thesis in my post as to what I'm arguing. Just because it's not clearly stated in the first sentence doesn't mean it's not there.Reed_Bowie

I did read your post, and I took away from it something different than you intended, based on the order you put you information. Writing something with a logical order will get you better responses. 

I would, and do, give low marks to a student who does not describe the topic adequately right up front.

A better analogy that "the moon is made of cheese" is "This lab sucked a**" as a first sentence, and then the lab experiment and results were described. Would you read that paper?

Honestly, if you're that bad at reading then you shouldn't be instructing anyone. My thesis is clearly stated in the sentence: " Now, I think the reasoning behind this is that we're all conditioned to believe that the classic rock bands from the 60's-70's are the best and can't be beat." Hell, if you're that poor at reading, it's even the topic of the thread. Just because I may encounter people who are this bad at reading doesn't mean that I'm going to make my opening sentence: "THE TOPIC OF THIS ESSAY IS HOW SOCIETY CONDITIONS PEOPLE TO LIKE OLDER MUSIC" because, to me, that sounds blunt and stupid. I started with a rhetorical statement as a persuasive technique. And even after that, I like to introduce the topic so people have a better understanding of what I'm talking about.

Face it dude, your first post was bad. If you have to explain yourself after the fact then it's poorly written. Period.

C-Lee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 C-Lee
Member since 2008 • 5838 Posts
What a terrible thread.
Reed_Bowie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Reed_Bowie
Member since 2011 • 506 Posts

[QUOTE="Reed_Bowie"][QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

I did read your post, and I took away from it something different than you intended, based on the order you put you information. Writing something with a logical order will get you better responses. 

I would, and do, give low marks to a student who does not describe the topic adequately right up front.

A better analogy that "the moon is made of cheese" is "This lab sucked a**" as a first sentence, and then the lab experiment and results were described. Would you read that paper?

worlock77

Honestly, if you're that bad at reading then you shouldn't be instructing anyone. My thesis is clearly stated in the sentence: " Now, I think the reasoning behind this is that we're all conditioned to believe that the classic rock bands from the 60's-70's are the best and can't be beat." Hell, if you're that poor at reading, it's even the topic of the thread. Just because I may encounter people who are this bad at reading doesn't mean that I'm going to make my opening sentence: "THE TOPIC OF THIS ESSAY IS HOW SOCIETY CONDITIONS PEOPLE TO LIKE OLDER MUSIC" because, to me, that sounds blunt and stupid. I started with a rhetorical statement as a persuasive technique. And even after that, I like to introduce the topic so people have a better understanding of what I'm talking about.

Face it dude, your first post was bad. If you have to explain yourself after the fact then it's poorly written. Period.

I don't see how it's poorly written, at all. I can see how people fail to understand it, but I have no control over that.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 worlock77

QuebecNationale

- "Better" is subjective. If you've got your mind made up that there's nothing better than 'Album X' by Band Y then nothing anyone could cite will dissuade you from that. It's basically an unaddressable premise.

- No, most artists in music today care about making music. You're conflating the tiny fraction of music artists who appear in the top 40 charts with the whole of the music industry.

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

They condition us to like lots of things,mate.

All those ppl,being stuck in their ways.

Nothing more pathetic than that.

Like this friend of mine,she has stuck up parents,they wouldn't let her play games when she was little.

She stopped talking to them when she was 16.

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

[QUOTE="Reed_Bowie"][QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

worlock77

I guess I don't see what was wrong with his post. I read it, and understood it. No problems here. Now, whether or not I agree with it is something else entirely, but I got what he was saying. Didn't find it all that hard.

Leejjohno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#65 Leejjohno
Member since 2005 • 13897 Posts

But you can say you don't like an older band like the beatles. I don't like them in all honesty, besides like one or two songs, but I cannot say they suck... it's actually objective fact - they don't suck.

Lots of music these days is throw away music that even if it seems catchy, the first 25 times you hear it; in 3 years it will never be played anywhere again unless it's a guess the year radio quiz game even though it is supposedly popular music, and when you do hear it again it's only decent point is that it reminds you of a time when you were 3 years younger. It's actually objective fact; this music does suck.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
I hate Pink Floyd.THE_DRUGGIE
I was not aware she had a last name.
bookwormwizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 bookwormwizard
Member since 2013 • 48 Posts
[QUOTE="VanHelsingBoA64"]The fact that so many books still name the Beatles "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success: the Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved. In a sense the Beatles are emblematic of the status of rock criticism as a whole: too much attention to commercial phenomena (be it grunge or U2) and too little attention to the merits of real musicians. If somebody composes the most divine music but no major label picks him up and sells him around the world, a lot of rock critics will ignore him. If a major label picks up a musician who is as stereotyped as one can be but launches her or him worldwide, your average critic will waste rivers of ink on her or him. This is the sad status of rock criticism: rock critics are basically publicists working for free for major labels, distributors and record stores. They simply publicize what the music business wants to make money with. Hopefully, one not-too-distant day, there will be a clear demarcation between a great musician like Tim Buckley, who never sold much, and commercial products like the Beatles. And rock critics will study more of rock history and realize who invented what and who simply exploited it commercially. Beatles' "Aryan" music removed any trace of black music from rock and roll: it replaced syncopated African rhythm with linear western melody, and lusty negro attitudes with cute white-kid smiles. Contemporary musicians never spoke highly of the Beatles, and for a good reason. They could not figure out why the Beatles' songs should be regarded more highly than their own. They knew that the Beatles were simply lucky to become a folk phenomenon (thanks to "Beatlemania", which had nothing to do with their musical merits). That phenomenon kept alive interest in their (mediocre) musical endeavors to this day. Nothing else grants the Beatles more attention than, say, the Kinks or the Rolling Stones. There was nothing intrinsically better in the Beatles' music. Ray Davies of the Kinks was certainly a far better songwriter than Lennon & McCartney. The Stones were certainly much more skilled musicians than the "Fab Four". And Pete Townshend was a far more accomplished composer, capable of "Tommy" and "Quadrophenia". Not to mention later and far greater British musicians. Not to mention the American musicians who created what the Beatles later sold to the masses. The Beatles sold a lot of records not because they were the greatest musicians but simply because their music was easy to sell to the masses: it had no difficult content, it had no technical innovations, it had no creative depth. They wrote a bunch of catchy 3-minute ditties and they were photogenic. If somebody had not invented "Beatlemania" in 1963, you would not have wasted five minutes of your time to read a page about such a trivial band.

Sorry but I completely disagree and think this is a bunch of intellectual garbage. To say the Beatles had no creative depth is insane, How can anyone can listen to" I am the walrus" and say it lacks creativity? The lyrics are as creative and absurdly surreal as you can get and the music is amazing as well. Its true there technique was not nearly as good as everyone else (it sucked in some places). But this has never been the point of music. It does not matter how simple it is, music is about emotion, expanding the mind, learning new things, hearing new sounds, the Beatles did this extremely well and consistently. And, I don't know why you think the stones are better musicians, honestly I think they are horrible, especially there guitar player. Also, I do not understand how having the ability for everything you write to have a catchy melody not to be considered creative.
Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

>I grew up being told by everyone that "The Beatles are the best band of all time"

>Being a kid, I believed everyone else and listened to The Beatles and I thought that I liked them

>As I got older and discovered music that I never even knew existed, I realized that I never really liked many classic-rock bands

>Society conditions us to like older music

I can work with this.

Many of us develop a soft spot for the music we grew up with. If we were to point our fingers at anyone, it'd be our parents (not that I have anything to blame them for). So it's really more our upbringing that conditions us to like older music. But as we get older, we generally drift off into different genres as we learn to discover music on our own.

We do, however, usually retain some level of of fondness for the music we grew up with... cause that's what nostalgia does.

MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 MetalDogGear
Member since 2013 • 825 Posts

The Beatles suck. Depending on your music tastes, I may have caused you to have a negative reaction and you may have had the urge to tell me that "I have no taste in music". However, If I said a more modern band with roughly the same popularity like Radiohead sucks, I typically wouldn't provoke as strong of a reaction from people. Now, I think the reasoning behind this is that we're all conditioned to believe that the classic rock bands from the 60's-70's are the best and can't be beat. That's why everyone is so quick to defend classic rock bands from that era. I'm saying this out of personal experience. I grew up being told by everyone that "The Beatles are the best band of all time". Being a kid, I believed everyone else and listened to The Beatles and I thought that I liked them and "they were the best band ever". However, I always found myself not wanting to listen to The Beatles in favor of listening to other bands that I found far more interesting. Another band I had a similar experience with is AC/DC. People always told me they were an amazing band, so I believed them. But whenever one of their songs was being played on the radio, I always had the urge in the back of my mind to change the station. As I got older and discovered music that I never even knew existed, I realized that I never really liked many classic-rock bands to begin with. I was just told by society what was good and went along with it. It's pretty much developed from just individual bands that are "the best" to the music of the 60's to 70's era as a whole. Look at this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz1ex78QeQI It's a pretty bad song, yet it has a lot of thumbs up and positive comments which kind of proves my point. Edit: I don't actually think The Beatles suck. I have to put this because not everyone reads the entire post before responding.Reed_Bowie

I stopped right there.

I immediently knew that this was some thread to garner attention.

Stfu and go away

Avatar image for QuebecNationale
QuebecNationale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 QuebecNationale
Member since 2013 • 146 Posts

[QUOTE="QuebecNationale"]

worlock77

- "Better" is subjective. If you've got your mind made up that there's nothing better than 'Album X' by Band Y then nothing anyone could cite will dissuade you from that. It's basically an unaddressable premise.

- No, most artists in music today care about making music. You're conflating the tiny fraction of music artists who appear in the top 40 charts with the whole of the music industry.

Wrong, "better" can be objective especially if you're talking about 2112 by Rush. It's a fact that no album by any modern artist can touch let alone be better than 2112 by Rush or Permanent Waves. I'm not even a huge Rush fan but I still acknowledge that 2112 and Permanent Waves are two of the greatest albums ever made, and that no modern day album can come even close.

Not really, you would be surprised at the amount of bands that aren't mainstream that fight over money and such. It's a reality but one has to accept it; most artists today are in it for the money and nothing else. Rush, Arcade Fire, Platinum Blonde, Anvil, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, King Crimson....all bands who played music because they loved it and didn't care about the money, to a certain extent.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6821 Posts

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

QuebecNationale

Wrong, "better" can be objective especially if you're talking about 2112 by Rush. It's a fact that no album by any modern artist can touch let alone be better than 2112 by Rush or Permanent Waves. I'm not even a huge Rush fan but I still acknowledge that 2112 and Permanent Waves are two of the greatest albums ever made, and that no modern day album can come even close.

Not really, you would be surprised at the amount of bands that aren't mainstream that fight over money and such. It's a reality but one has to accept it; most artists today are in it for the money and nothing else. Rush, Arcade Fire, Platinum Blonde, Anvil, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, King Crimson....all bands who played music because they loved it and didn't care about the money, to a certain extent.

How do you measure objectively better? and do you have proof that today's artists are more money-driven and less artistically-driven than before?

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#72 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

[QUOTE="QuebecNationale"]

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

one_plum

How do you measure objectively better? and do you have proof that today's artists are more money-driven and less artistically-driven than before?

He's a troll. Don't feed him.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts
I find classic rock is... not a genre that requires a lot of investment to be a fan of, honestly.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#74 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

[QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]I hate Pink Floyd.Zeviander
I was not aware she had a last name.

Careful. You're gonna make Kevlar mad.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts
I would also attribute it to the fact that only music that is good (or endearing in some way) makes is through the seave of history. Most people don't listen to 60s music like people from the 60s did ... we hear the songs that survived from the 60s. THAT SAID ... I do think the music industry has taken a bit of a superficial twist. Some of the hit songs out there seem to simply be soul-less musical hooks and with mindless, repetitive, lyrics. Akin to the rise of McDonalds, some of the most popular songs simply present listeners with the stimuli they crave.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
There is a reason why classical music is around. It's not nostalgia. It's because it's good. DevilMightCry
Often, but not necessarily. It might be because it was incredibly popular at the time (people still play "Baby Got Back" and "Ice Ice Baby", albeit in an ironic context), it might be because there was some other quality about it that made it iconic of a certain time or period or setting. Whatever. But you're right. Regardless of who is better (in this case, Radiohead or the Beatles), there is one difference between them. Radiohead has been around for a lot less time than The Beatles. Radiohead is still fairly new, there hasn't been quite as much time to appreciate their impact on popular culture, they haven't had as much of a chance to stand the test of time. The Beatles have stood the test of time. Does that mean that they're the greatest ever? No. Hell...that really doesn't even show that they are good. But to say that people are conditioned to like them just because they were older is flat out stupid. There were plenty of musicians making music during the Beatles' time, but we aren't "conditioned" to likje them just because they're old, are we? There was a hell of a lot of just-as-old music out at the time that ISN'T getting listened to today. No...we're not listening to The Beatles because the music is old, we're still listening to the Beatles because for good or bad, they are the Beatles. Same thing with any time period. Did you grow up in the 90's? $***, people are still listening to Nirvana and Pearl Jam, some of those bands' music will still be "classics" decades into the future. But during the same time period, there were plenty of bands making (both good and bad) music who pretty much no one will be listening to in 20 years. Hell...no one's listening to it now. Same thing today. There's music being made now that people will be listening to in 60 years. For the most part though, the vast majority of both the good and the bad gets forgotten. And hell...take this to its logical conclusion. In 5000 years, chances are that pretty much no one will be listening to the Beatles either. The bottom line is simply this...some music lasts longer than others, but $*** doesn't last just because it's old. Hell...if anything, music gets lost and forgotten because it's old. It's just that so far the Beatles have been the exception to the rule.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
And on another thing...while quality isn't completely objective and there is a huge element of subjectivity to any kind of discussion about art, it is a mistake to act like it's all completely subjective and that everyone's opinion is equally valid. No, some stuff really IS objectively better. Example: Joe Satriani is objectively a better guitarist than pretty much anyone who only started using a guitar two weeks ago. The thing is, this isn't really about quality. Sure, in most cases quality is part of the equation, but quality sure as hell isn't all there is to it. We're talking about staying power, and influence on pop culture, and that sure as hell doesn't just rely on the artist's skill and talent and quality of work. Are the Beatles good? I think so. Is the high quality of their music part of the reason why people listen to it? Sure. Is that the ONLY reason why they became so popular? Hell no. Does them being just about the most popular band of the time (and still one of the most highly regarded bands even today) mean that they were the BEST band making music at the time? Probably not. Chances are that there were absolutely better bands at the time, who are pretty much forgotten by now. At the same time, it's ridiculous to pretend like The Beatles were pure unadulterated crap, and that their lasting popularity had nothing to do with quality. That's absurd. With the claim that people are conditioned to like them because they're older...what about all of the other bands who quickly got forgotten because people quickly realized that they suck? Quality absolutely does play a role, and it's part of the reason why artists generally tend to stand the test of time. But an artist's legacy is not the same thing as an artist's quality of work.
gamah_killah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 gamah_killah
Member since 2006 • 13020 Posts
Music today is ridiculously broad. Too much to discover and too much to easily recommend.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 worlock77

But you can say you don't like an older band like the beatles. I don't like them in all honesty, besides like one or two songs, but I cannot say they suck... it's actually objective fact - they don't suck.

Lots of music these days is throw away music that even if it seems catchy, the first 25 times you hear it; in 3 years it will never be played anywhere again unless it's a guess the year radio quiz game even though it is supposedly popular music, and when you do hear it again it's only decent point is that it reminds you of a time when you were 3 years younger. It's actually objective fact; this music does suck.

Leejjohno

- No it isn't.

- No it isn't.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#80 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

[QUOTE="Reed_Bowie"] When I say "respond" I mean: Would you actually debate that the moon is not made of cheese, or would you read the rest of the paper? And I find it incredible how you made it to be a scientist yet you still don't know to read the entirety of something before responding to it. There's also a clear thesis in my post as to what I'm arguing. Just because it's not clearly stated in the first sentence doesn't mean it's not there.Reed_Bowie

Take your topic title and the first sentence. If you add them together, you are preconditioning your audience to expect a complaint about older music, not a critique about the societal pressures to enjoy music. 

I was fully able to understand your overall intent, but frankly, it still comes off as a complaint, not an interesting talking point.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#81 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

i like 80's pop music.